Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
is terrifying.

poo poo like this has made me paranoid of even benign bodies of water. what the gently caress, video games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
"water levels suck!!!" - said the idiots who probably also hate ice levels and such good things as hot chocolate and the wii u

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

Looper posted:

"water levels suck!!!" - said the idiots who probably also hate ice levels and such good things as hot chocolate and the wii u

all those are excellent. i only fear The Deep.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
The ocean can be nice actually. :)

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Land levels are a test of the player's dexterity. Water levels are a test of the player's patience and discretion.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Most badass heros can't swim for poo poo. They don't need the help of monsters from the deep to sink like rocks and never resurface.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Ehhh, I dunno OP. In real life, I get unnerved by those things, but in game's it's like Whatever for me.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Schnedwob posted:

is terrifying.

i used to share your overall sentiment but now the only nintendo water that makes me feel uncomfortable is like the water in gta san andreas and bethesda games. the fear doesn't come from "oooooooo deep water" but "the programmers didn't plan for this and testers spent almost no time here at all, the game is gonna poo poo itself in a really scary ram injection sort of way"

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
In some games deep water is my best friend cause I can usually hide in it from enemies. Other times yes there are monsters and oh god

Eleanor Pwnsevelt
Dec 25, 2003

man up OP

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed
Three dimensions of direction, and yet, also you move slower.. Yet another example of Give and Take in the realm of Games.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'm scared to go swimming because Emerald Weapon might attack me.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm scared to go swimming because Emerald Weapon might attack me.
What if Emerald Weapon hums the Sonic drowning music!

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

Carol Pizzamom posted:

Three dimensions of direction, and yet, also you move slower.. Yet another example of Give and Take in the realm of Games.

This is why flying is better than swimming

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Mach2 posted:

This is why flying is better than swimming

Yeah but you can't stop when you're flying.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Man was not supposed to be in the ocean, but with video games, reality is no boundary for the many lives we lead as GAMERS

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Thank god for video games

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Rexicon1 posted:

Thank god for video games
God doesn't make games. Hardworking developers do.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Sir John Feelgood posted:

God doesn't make games. Hardworking developers do.
Well gently caress, then I just wasted a lot of money on a Kickstarter.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

:iit:

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
theres a 3d ecco the dolphi n game for the ps2 thats supposed to be good... ill never play it though.

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

Rexicon1 posted:

Man was not supposed to be in the ocean, but with video games, reality is no boundary for the many lives we lead as GAMERS

But friend- the examples i provided were man, boy, man, man, man, teen, bear

also ecco is still terrifying despite the ocean being your home

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

FactsAreUseless posted:

What if Emerald Weapon hums the Sonic drowning music!

This is actually the cure for thalassophobia.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
re6 has a long water section with swimming w/ air management, trudging through hip-deep water, and a giant thing stalking you. there are also zombies in the water that grab you if you get too close but it's a pretty small percentage of 'em

there are lots of fakeouts and it's cool

well that's my story

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Schnedwob posted:

But friend- the examples i provided were man, boy, man, man, man, teen, bear

also ecco is still terrifying despite the ocean being your home

im really glad i didnt get this far as a kid, this woulda wrecked my poo poo

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

Doctor Goat posted:

re6 has a long water section with swimming w/ air management, trudging through hip-deep water, and a giant thing stalking you. there are also zombies in the water that grab you if you get too close but it's a pretty small percentage of 'em

there are lots of fakeouts and it's cool

well that's my story

Oh man, I love that Easter egg in RE4 where the fish boss kills you instantaneously if you shoot the lake enough times before the fight. Felt great to discover something that obscure on my own.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

i remember being scared of the dagobahs in shadows of the empire

jesus

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

these things were creepy

easy to deal with, but creepy

Zodar
May 21, 2007

Ulillillia and the Secret of Blue Water

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Zodar posted:

Ulillillia and the Secret of Blue Water

:thumbsup:

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Leroy Dennui posted:

Oh man, I love that Easter egg in RE4 where the fish boss kills you instantaneously if you shoot the lake enough times before the fight. Felt great to discover something that obscure on my own.

they keep pulling moments that remind me of that w/ fast movement from an underwater thing eating things fast but you're never in any real danger but it's tense as gently caress because you don't know that your first time through

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
world of warcraft... if u swam too far u died O_O

Sas
Oct 29, 2014

I love Ship Sim

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

Bro just chill out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAXoL8TnE0I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDvKwSVuUGA

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Wave Race 64 had really cool looking water for a game released in 1996

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi-Kz4Y-8Lw

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

is it hydro-city or hy-dracity

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Proposition Joe posted:

The ocean can be nice actually. :)

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

There was a demo for this

on this

and I hated it.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

is it hydro-city or hy-dracity

the former if you're japanese/australian, the latter if you're european/american

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

The White Dragon posted:

i used to share your overall sentiment but now the only nintendo water that makes me feel uncomfortable is like the water in gta san andreas and bethesda games. the fear doesn't come from "oooooooo deep water" but "the programmers didn't plan for this and testers spent almost no time here at all, the game is gonna poo poo itself in a really scary ram injection sort of way"
Elder Scrolls have spells that let you breathe underwater, and an entire race whose gimmick is that they can breathe underwater. Meanwhile there is nothing interesting to do in the water.

For this reason I do not fear the water. Rather I find it boring, like most things that are outdoors.

• Locked thread