Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

am i really going to be following three different smash bros threads on the same forum

edit: of course i am

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

NNID: sharrrk

i'll be playing for the first week, then be back at school for the next week, then be back playing during christmas break

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Reiley posted:

If you have everyone unlocked on the 3DS do you have to unlock everyone again on the Wii U?

yes, but in the wii u version jigglypuff, ness, ganondorf, and bowser jr. are unlocked at the start

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

he isn't that good

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Do not bully my friend Reiley.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Supercar Gautier posted:

I have been enjoying the game with the Pro controller. I set it so the triggers are shield instead of the bumpers, and now it's perfect. Later I learned that even Sakurai himself sorta suggested to do the same, on Miiverse. It's good.

the control scheme he gave on the miiverse post is the same one i was telling people to switch their 3ds controls to and the same one you gave me poo poo for that one time.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

has anyone figured out the best way to collect CDs

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Also can you use characters you haven't unlocked yet with the 3ds transfer, like how you can use custom moves? Or does it just not work until you unlock them?

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Maple Leaf posted:

the main theme (without vocals)

this is hosed up

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

also because almost every stage in the 3ds version is a lovely walk-off

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

today i went to best buy to pick up the bundle that i preordered a month ago, but they did not have it. they instead tried to give me all of the individual parts of the bundle for the same price, but they did not have the adapter. now they are picking the adapter up from another best buy, and i am eating lunch.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

lots of people reserved the adapter because gamestop ran out of bundle preorders really fast

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

noirstronaut posted:

I CAN'T loving FIND THE BUNDLE ANYWHERE

i found one

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

my quest is complete. i now have the bundle, a free gamecube controller, and a dumb cardboard belt. its good to be a gamer

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

im so happy that robin's coat is animated properly in this game

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

it feels so weird using a new gamecube controller. i'm so used to the one i have that came with my gamecube like 13 or so years ago

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Reiley posted:

I wish there was no timer, I just want to fight and live on that island hell forever.

yeah. Yeah.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

EDIT: Also, is there any way to prevent Palutena from following up with aerials after her down throw? It feels like it's loving impossible to recover, regardless of what percentage you're at.

i'm pretty sure for palutena down throw into any of her aerials is a true combo. down throw into up air in particular is her best kill move from what i can tell

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i would like it if robin was just a little bit faster.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

adding to this, mr. game & watch's up air, down tilt, and the beginning of fire all have windboxes that push the opponent upwards pretty far. take advantage of this to control the opponent in the air and use it to either get them where you want them or just confuse them into making a mistake.

your goal with g&w should be to keep the opponent from playing the game when they are in the air. its rude and i love it

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Reiley posted:

They coulda just tied your color choices to your name profile and let you pick a name profile once and remember it on that controller until you power off or change it, I don't think that's beyond the scope of programming.

The 3DS has the way better single-player experience, but that makes sense considering the Wii U version could just be two modes, Smash and Online, and it'd be perfect as-is.

honestly i think as it is the game would be better if it were just Smash and Online, just because that implies all of the lovely unlock requirements for cds and custom moves would be gone, or at least would unlock by doing something that's actually fun. i'm enjoying this game a ton but they really dropped the ball with every single singleplayer mode that isn't special orders or home run contest.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i always have a really hard time figuring out what smash attack duck hunt is charging up and i always guess wrong and get hit instead of punishing it like i want to

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i don't remember duck hunt's down taunt but bowser's is definitely him activating his swag

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Suspicious Cook posted:

It could just be a stock conversation for use with all DLC characters so they don't have to round up the voice actors to record new lines every time.

yeah that's what i think it is. it'd be a bit disappointing but it's understandable that they wouldn't want to go through all that trouble if the dlc characters hadn't been decided on when they were recording lines.

Reiley posted:

It's good that there's a game to suit everyone's tastes!! But I feel like the two-stock meta of Smash4 is the most engaging to spectate for the widest swath of people, you don't get big stock gaps and comebacks are always possible, and they're just really tense matches to watch. The game is also really well-balanced, all sorts of characters pop up in the Top 3s. They did a good job making this video game for us.

i agree with this, two stocks is more interesting both to watch and to play. doing 3 stock always leaves me burnt out by the third stock, it just takes too long unless there's a big skill gap between the players.

design-wise i think there's room for improvement, as mentioned defensive options are way better than they should be and i think the game could stand to be a bit faster, but overall honestly i'm thrilled at how good this game ended up being especially with how many characters there are. bringing in namco for this was a really good decision, i think.

edit: also we need to fight still, let me know when is a good time.

THE loving MOON posted:

Well yeah, I usually turn off the gust jar, the, drill, galaga, and a couple others myself. I also like doing 1v1 no items. But jeez, how do you get into smash in the first place if you can't have fun just playing the odd free-for-all, bullshit and all, the way god intended? :confused:

i don't get super upset about items or anything (except when trying to complete certain challenges in the single player modes, fuuuuck that) but i honestly just don't really have much fun playing with them. idk i can gently caress around in free for all with friends and have items on and be fine but i'd be lying if i said i wouldn't rather be doing 1v1s without items. different strokes i guess, but theres no need for anyone to get angry.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

also tier lists are meaningless when the game hasn't even been out for a month

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

The game has basically been out since September though

the patch was released only a couple days before the wii u version and changed a lot of things, most notably getting rid of vectoring which was kind of a big deal. also the 3ds is a lovely controller that doesn't exactly give the best idea of what a character can do, and i imagine a lot of competitive players either didn't bother with the 3ds version or didn't take it as seriously as the wii u version.

and besides, even if the game had been out for 3 months a tier list still wouldn't mean much. there are a ton of characters and match ups in this game and people are going to be figuring out new things to do with them for a long time to come. don't worry about tier lists.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Setting it to tilts still allows you to do aerials, right?

There really isn't any downside to doing that, is there?

if you're playing robin then having it set to smash means you never have to worry about not getting a smash aerial out when you wanted one, but otherwise its just personal preference

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Keiya posted:

It's annoying how ZSS is actually pretty good, it means people are all like "you're just picking her because she's good" when no, I just like kicking people into the air.

how do people say this with a straight face

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

i do like shulk a lot, and I like Ike. But Shulk's a goof and Ike's Manly. What has Marth going for him in that sense?

he's really pretty

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

They do though, it does 20 damage and they can't dodge it unless they shield, what more do you want

Also she's what Ganondorf should have been from the beginning instead of some weird nonsensical Captain Falcon ripoff that goes against literally every appearance he's had since OOT

don't talk about my grandpa that way

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

landing warlock punch is actually doable in smash 4 because of the armor. its also a bit faster than in previous games iirc. its still tricky and requires you to make a good prediction but its not worthless like how it was in previous games.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Reiley posted:

This is a post for Sharrrrrkkk: if you wanna smash tomorrow I got time in the evening EST, if that's good for you.

i should be available, i look forward to this match

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Reiley posted:

hey if you want to battle in one hour I am still ready to accept your smash challenge

i'm getting dinner at 7:30 but i should be ready at 8, so that should be good unless something unexpected happens

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

okay i'm back from dinner and ready to Fite

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

these are some really good matches, you've gotten some really good kills on me

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

grandpa is so strong

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

that stage man