Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Is there any word on whether this game has a music slider for selecting tracks for specific stages like brawl did? Honestly, that was such a smart, cool little feature

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

http://www.destructoid.com/no-smash-bros-dlc-after-mewtwo-experiment--284067.phtml?nav=mobile&mode=mobile

Sakurai says no DLC being worked on besides Mewtwo at the moment because he didn't want it to feel like they were cutting up the game and selling pieces of it. Shine on, Nintendo. Last beacon of morality in this cold, cruel world.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Christ I only got 45% in 300. Before I started playing online I thought i was good at Smash Bros :(

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Actually something I love about tons of the 3DS trophies is that the guy whose job was to write the descriptions obviously got tired at some point and just started writing things like "haha its toad what's up with that"

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

The Toad trophy reads "Why are they called Toads? Some are green, but they're not frog-like or anything. Captain Toad can't even jump! oh, wait... ohhhhhh, now it makes sense".

The "Pipes" trophy ends by going "Down the pipe! You sleep in pipes, dream of pipes. Pipes pipes pipes pipes pipes pipes!"

"Thwomp" is "Have you wondered what it would be like to have your own thwomp? If someone tried to break into your house, it would just go "THWOMP" on their head! Yep, a thwomp would make a great home-security system. Nowhere sells them though. Sad times"

Seriously read some of them, it really made me consider what the job must have been like.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Trash Boat posted:

Don't forget the Pokemon Trainer trophy where half of the description was the Pokemon theme song lyrics repurposed with Smash terms.

holy christ I remember that. Honestly there are so many weird ones like that it's worth taking a eek in the vault sometime.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

gently caress anyone who wants to ban a stage

e: ban every stage except pacman world

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

The Crotch posted:

I'm surprised they didn't include a stage hazards/transitions toggle. I know a lot of people would rather play on a Wily Castle with no Yellow Devil, and it'd be nice to just be able to play Castle Siege without the floor breaking or to pick one version of a Pokemon level and stick with it.

If anything I wish Dr. Wily's castle had more stuff. As-is, a flat stage with the Devil is kinda lame

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Dr. VooDoo posted:

My Samus Amiibo has learned some weird behavior. It will stay at the edge of a stage spamming projectiles at me and if I get close will dodge roll and race to the other side until a decent item spawns. Then it'll book it to the item trying to get it before me to use

Sounds like a competitive player to me!!!

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

I like WFT a lot. Everything about her screams the sorta silliness that makes smash fantastic. Not so hot with her though - anyone got any tips?

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Something in regard to music (and as a disclaimer I don't yet own the Wii U version) I got from listening to remixes on youtube is that some of the new remixes sound kinda... Cheap? Not all the new songs, but a lot of the music that aims for orchestral to me ends up falling kinda short. Here's a good example, I think, is the comet Observatory music. if you compare the Galaxy version and Smash version, the original just sounds so much better. This could come down to general composition (the Galaxy version seems far more in-depth, with different sections of the orchestra complimenting one another), something about the sound doesn't feel right - are parts of the smash version MIDI? The brass sounds it.

Maybe I'm just crazy though.

For reference, here's the original (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbyqMdRS09w) and the Wii U version (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI4J_Ixrvwg)

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

PAL versions get the correct name. Lame.

Kurtofan posted:

I think Mario is "the man who breaks stone with his fists" or something to that effect.

I get this is from the Punch-Out stage but can you elaborate?

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Has anyone else experienced some minor input lag when using the Gamecube adapter? It's probably less than half a second, but in a fast-paced game like smash that makes a lot of difference. I've heard that I can fix it by turning my TV onto "Game Mode" but can't see to find that option. I'm also not using official gamecube remotes, so maybe that's it? Anyone got any ideas?

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

When Galaxy came out I went to a midnight release (yeah I know) and Charles Martinet was signing copies of the game. When I went into the store they asked me if I wanted to go in the line to get my copy signed or the line to just get the game, and I couldn't help but think "who is a big enough fan of Mari to go to a midnight release but doesn't have the extra two minutes to get the game signed by Mario?"

When I met Charles Martinet he was kinda just being polite and working through the line and I told him that he and Mel Blanc were the voices of my childhood and he suddenly sorta sprang to life and his eyes woke up and he had a huge smile and thanked me and it was really great that's my story thanks

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

The Leaf shield is awesome and here is why:

1. Engage Leaf Shield
2. Edgeguard
3. Laugh

To wit;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_O3LCT7BDI

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 8, 2014

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Megaman is an awesoe character for shutting people down. His lemons and slide can both kill a combo, and if you do get caught in one 8 times out of ten you can rush coil away before you're hosed, and no one ever knows what to do when you rush coil out f a combo. Add to that the fact that crash bombs mean you can force your opponents actions and you have a cool character.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Apparently my win-loss ratio means something to me in this game because i just wanted to play a few online matches, lost a bunch nd kept playing for another hour to get bacck up to 50%

What's loving wrong with me :negative:

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Hey for Just Some Internet Video this was really really nicely animated!

anyone got any tips for Wii Fit trainer? I like Megaman a lot because he is absolutely brutal when it comes to shutting people down. He can stop or get out of a combo super easily, but (as far as I've seen) doesn't have too much combo potential himself. WFT is good for punishing people in that her down and side smash hit on both sides, her neutral a and forward tilt hit behind her and her neutral air hits above her. I feel like there must be some great ways to string together her unique hitboxes but I'm having some trouble. Still, super fun to play as her and I think she has enormous potential.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

UK goon here I don't think I'm super great or anything but i'd be down for some smashing for sure, NNID is NonCaballo

also maybe a dumb question but do i also have to register dudes? I've never done this before on wii u

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Dec 18, 2014

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Bowser Jr.'s recovery might be the best special in the game solely for the fact that no one ever expects it to be a killing move, especially the first time you pull it out.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Electromax posted:

Especially funny when IIRC the guy named them that because of a strong initial thrust and weak followup.

AKA what smashers' sex would be like if they had it, amirite?

"This isn't as fast as last time, it sucks!!"

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Registered some goons and up for a smash, the OP wasn't the best compilation of NNID's though so if yours isn't there it would be nice if you could all share them again at some point. As i said above, NNID is NonCaballo

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

To whoever suggested using the c-stick for tilts: gently caress you that sucked. I mean it was mostly me not being used to it at all but I also found it was way less responsive. That's a shame because like 3/4 of the time when I use megamans up tilt I end up jumping and using the tornado instead

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Okay so something I've thought about a little; who do you think are the bigest assholes in smash bros? what i mean by this is that every time I'm online and see someone playing as black Sheik, black ZSS or Emo Link I kinda have to roll my eyes. These guys typically always play with the one combo they know and try to force you into it and I can't help but think they consider themselves awesome smash players. I dunno, to me there's just something extra douchey about playing as the most superserious characters in superserious costumes.

Though really if you play as Dark Toon Link you're the biggest rear end in a top hat because you're missing the real magic of playing as Toon Link.

Conversely on the rare occasion I see a Jigglypuff player I know I'm about to get my rear end kicked

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

I have actually seen quite a bit of diversity online. The most-used pool is probably as big as around 15 characters? I'm honestly having trouble naming who I see most. Probably either Ike of Captain Falcon? Moreso Cap. Both of those I have to admit I kinda consider "thinks they are great at smash" characters, especially Cap. If you've fought one Cap, you've fought them all.

Oh, and I've never seen a Zelda or Meta Knight

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Dec 20, 2014

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

shortspecialbus posted:

Speaking of amiibos, I'm trying to train my Wii Fit Trainer to not suck. Anyone have any tips for fighting as Wii Fit Trainer so that I can teach it not to suck by mirror battling it? I'm terrible with her and don't want to encourage bad habits because I want this particular amiibo to kick rear end.

Okay I'm not the best in the world but here are some things;

One of the best things about WFT is her weird hitboxes. For a lot of her attacks her entire body essentially becomes a hitbox. use this to punish people; if someone lies rolling around you a lot, throw out an ftilt or downsmash, as they hit both sides of you.

sun Salutation is easy to fully charge, you can get a whole bunch out

When you're knocked far into the air, don't waste the time you've been given. Either deep breathe or charge a sun salutation

WFT is hard to use in the air, but is a great air fighter. Her fair has a nice diagonal hitbox that has a meteor, her nair does really good damage and can lead into a uair and her bair is a kill move when you can get it off. Also heading has a meteor if I recall

Her grabs make good space but don't really combo too well - however, her up throw is a kill move at 160%. Try not using throws the entire match, clown on your opponent up to that damae and then throw them up. They won't expect it at all.

Heading is a GREAT move for shutting people down. When you get some distance, learn how the ball bounces and you're controlling the match.

Deep breathe when opponent is around 80%

Praise the sun

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Your opponent will take longer to get out of being buried the higher their percentage is, and I've found if they're reasonably high you can get them with a side smash. Her smash attacks are actually pretty good, however if you miss them there's a lot of wind-down so you will be punished for it.

And yeah, you can start and immediately cancel deep breathing in the air to avoid ground projectiles pretty well. Oh! Her air dodge is also amazing, the best in the game, zero start up, very quick, you can almost just mash it to be safe in the air.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Maybe something that isn't really spoken about a lot but the animation in this game is totally fantastic. Consider the fact that when a player pushes "a", they want their character to attack instantly, but also that the character can't just instantly go from stationary to attacking. They have maybe four or five frames of animation to speare before the input would seem "too laggy", and yet all of the characters movements and animations look really good and move well.

Also Duck Hunt Duo in general has really charming animations and expressions

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

The fact that it's possible to be competitive in Smash Bros. without using that grip is proof that it will never be a serious competitive game.

I'm shocked this sentence didn't end with ", dad."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Just submitted my vote for a playable Sakurai.

Hey, if there were any series something like that would happen, it would be this one.

• Locked thread