Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It's dumb how some characters just get caught in that and cannot get out, though. Like bowser and metaknight both arbitrarily cannot avoid the followup foot after choke, even though they're completely different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I just had like 10 really really good, close matches against someone, and then my router shat itself and I'll probably never find them again :(

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

TheKingofSprings posted:

Do you play Zelda by any chance
Nah, Marth mostly.

Also I just had like 5 matches against this guy who was only playing as Robin/Lil Mac, and I swear to god I shield broke him at least twice every single match. Once like 5 times.
Don't block the sparkley-stab move, guy. Prior experience indicates that it won't work out for you.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Rolling too much will get you punished if your opponent knows what they're doing, though. It's real handy to learn the timing on turning around for attacks.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Copper Vein posted:

Was at an arcade on Saturday and was approached to join in a Smash tourney. Said "Sure," walked over to where 12 people were gathered with Pro controllers and Wii-motes and I set up a control profile.

We had at least 6 people ready to go when the coordinator walks over and says "Ok, we're doing 1 on 1, no items, Final Destination.

I poo poo you not.
sounds like things were going correctly, minus that battlefield is better

unless you actually think 'tournament' should be a 6 person match with items on? instead of, a series of 1v1s??

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I do still wish there was a 'battlefield' option alongside final destination versions of stages.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It wouldn't be a problem if we could copy/paste+select n' move things in the stage editor, but I guess we're supposed to painstakingly place every single bit of terrain by hand

and so most people just don't

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
He does rule, except for when he says something, thinks it's really funny, and then says it 100 more times.

Call me damage.

Call me damage.

Damage!

Call me damage!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I have no idea how to deal with lil mac as samus. Everything I have is either sluggish, low priority, or lovely range, it's hard to even punish his dash on block.

Maybe I should try poking with the air grapple more but considering how he has moves with super armor that might just be setting myself up for punishes.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Dec 30, 2014

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Sire Oblivion posted:

This is Samus' worst iteration, you're coming to learn it. Pretty soon you'll realize you have no priority, a bad zoning game, predictable attacks, movement and really limited options. That's when you'll drop Samus for good because she's terrible.

Your best bet against Mac is to get him off the ledge and try and gimp him with projectiles, it's the only advantage you have over him.
That's funny, 'cause it seems like a lot of samu's stuff is actually better than Brawl-it's just that she was seriously terrible there, and most everyone else has improved as well.

I have no idea why they nerfed her down-smash at all, though, let alone as much as they did. Worse damage, way worse knockback... maybe they thought a good down-smash to catch predicted rolls would be too much space control for a character who also has heavy projectiles? Still weird.

It's becoming more and more clear to me that the characters I like the most just aren't good.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Honestly, just give samus the mii gunner's smash attacks. They're way better and they make more sense for her, and that would mean the single worst up-smash to ever exist could finally be laid to rest

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I'm down. NNID is Lazymaybe.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Pirate Jet posted:

Pretty much everyone just said that Smash is great for having simple controls, but that doesn't mean it's an excuse for the game being poorly balanced. Poor competitive play can also affect casual play. Not even friends drinking beer in four-player free-for-alls like that guy who picks Diddy Kong over and over again for easy wins.
There are no characters in this game that are obnoxious enough for anyone sane to get mad at someone else for choosing them.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

TheKingofSprings posted:

I wish someone would straight up tell him the thing he wants is literally impossible to achieve. Unless you remove or limit a player's ability to perform actions in the game, the more skilled player will do more effective actions and gain an advantage, regardless of the random poo poo that spawns.

The only way he'll get his dream game is if he randomly completely removed the ability of the better player to do anything in the game, like what happens in Magic: the Gathering sometimes with mana flood/screw. And a video game that did that would be loving awful, a similar thing (tripping) was hated by the majority of people that played Brawl.
I wish more than that he could somehow explain his weird thing wrt people who are better at games, winning at games. And yeah, like someone said before, things like strong items(and even tripping!) don't really even the playing field because the better players are going to take advantage of them more and snowball to victory even harder 9 time out of 10.

mabels big day posted:

That makes me want to loving vomit.
weird

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I wonder how often it happens in other games/genres. I guess I understand it and similarly wanting to like something like for example, Mario Kart but can't get into the specific veneer the games are coated in. Or like how some people might really be into the mechanics of Bayonetta the game, but are put off by Bayonetta herself for some reason.
"for some reason"?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

TheKingofSprings posted:

http://imgur.com/hfiFyAe I guess this is a visual representation of the rankings that just came out from Anther's Smash 4 ladder?

Goes from left to right so Diddy's number 1 and Sheik's number 2.
I'm not surprised to see Samus and Ganon at the bottom, but I'm not exactly happy either.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Greninja's easily good enough for B tier.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

shortspecialbus posted:

I dunno about that. We had one guy who someone brought over once who just destroyed everyone, even in a 4 player free for all. I guess he's probably an extreme example, but I just feel that in general if someone's really good and doesn't play down that it sort of becomes unfun for people.
On the other hand, it's really really unfun to be the guy who's better and sandbag the whole time so other people don't get pissy about losing.

However, smash has rules settings for a reason: you can always do a 2v1 or 3v1, or turn on damage handicaps and crank it up to 50%+.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

google I just wanted to see what my punish options were against lil mac

google no

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

shortspecialbus posted:

I know, I've just never done it at all. I'm not terrible at smash, I think I got good at just kinda keeping away without doing it.
Just knowing that you can hit A while in shield to grab directly out of shield was a huge deal for me.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
down-b to punish rolls towards you is really satisfying, especially if they don't realize it'll break their shield super quick

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Your Computer posted:

I tried trailing his rolls so I could attack him as he got out of it, but literally every time I would just hit his shield and he'd grab me.
Grab him instead of hitting him, then. Shielding sounds like the biggest problem for you, and shield breaks grabs-if you always use normal attacks, never grabs, that's like playing rock paper scissors and always throwing rock.
And if he rolls towards you(across your character ending near you), that can often be punished with a well-timed down smash at the end of the roll, or forward smash in that direction if your character's down smash doesn't hit backwards fast enough. If you play as DK you can just use down-B to punish rolls, and it'll break shield very quickly, and with Marth/Lucina neutral-B is a good option for making shielding unsafe.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

TheKingofSprings posted:

Which was great and a thing I liked, except the tweaks made her mechanically worse all around

like Roy was also worse but they at least stuck a bunch of fire to his sword and people loved that
it would be rad if lucina was actually faster than marth like people were incorrectly saying when she first came out

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Super lethal, low-% stamina matches are actually pretty fun

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
or DK

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I like S4 a lot but I really wish shielding/dodging weren't as strong

I don't like wavedashing that much but I really miss melee's directional air dodges which put you in recovery

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
also I wish samus was better :smith:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Smashing Link posted:

From the casual perspective, it seems like the diehard Melee players are reluctant to give up mastery of glitches that make the gameplay quite arcane compared to the rest of the series.
There's nothing that's actually hard to learn in melee. Wavedashing is literally just hopping and air-dodging into the ground. Jump, immediately press diagonal down+R. That's it.

It's more of a physics exploit than a glitch, as far as than is a meaningful distinction anyways.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
infinite air-dodges are the real dishonorable air combat and I will not stand for this libel

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Same thing goes for wave-dashing :twisted:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
yeah ledge mechanics pre-4 do indeed suck. that's one thing I will never miss

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

whalestory posted:

No one actually LIKES playing melee they just say they do because they're secretly in love with glitches and one specific old game for some reason (perhaps... no reason?)
I like going fast and melee+wavedashing are fast it's not some weird conspiracy duder.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Please make Gamer legal.
yeah gamer actually owns and has a good cool stage hazard tbh

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

TheKingofSprings posted:

Pokefloats does not have stage hazards

And WarioWare has been an awful stage some it came out in Brawl. Random buffs are bad.

Gamer is my powerful friend though and is infinitely better
yeah most stage hazards suck, but, gamer rules and the vision gives you plenty of time to get out of the way

it also lends itself to matches that don't last 100 years because it makes people move around(and sometimes kills them)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Stallion Cabana posted:

so on the stage thing;

Isn't this specifically what the Omega stages were made for? like aren't the Omega Stages pretty hazard free?
yeah but it's lame that they're literally all shaped the same

it's cool to have stages that are different, like FD, battlefield, Town&City, so long as they aren't full of bullshit.(pilotwings is ok too)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
omg hungrybox

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
plup is the most out of control samus I've ever seen :o:

mabels big day posted:

he rage quit smash four because someone in the crowd said HOO-HAA
lmao really

LazyMaybe