Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Please close this thread and let a goon with autism make a new one with a good OP, thanks in advance.

Seriously though if any game needs a really high-effort it's this one: it has like 3,000 single player modes, 3,000 multiplayer modes, 3,000 characters, etc

edit: holy crap you wrote "SuperSmash" as one word

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

It's only a matter of time until Piss Column Link is a rare collector's item fetching thousands of Dollars

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Macaluso posted:

I really can't believe tier lists (which are pretty bullshit i know) are saying Megaman is like. Middle of the road. I just fought the most ANNOYING Megaman player on For Glory I've ever fought. I could not touch this dude. I couldn't shield to avoid his attacks or he'd grab me. I couldn't get near him cause all of his ranged attacks would stop me, even the little potato pellets. In the right hands Megaman is insane.

I don't understand why nobody seems to play as megaman. He was one of the top-requested characters for Brawl. He's in, he's amazing, and nobody plays as him.

It's so easy to rack up damage with him, and he has great KO options. His forward smash has range and amazing KO. His up tilt is an uppercut with amazing KO. His back air has amazing KO. And what's best of all is his grab, it feels like one of the fastest in the game. The only thing about him that feels weak or confusing is his down-b.

My guess is, people don't like him because they're just mashing A. It "feels" like his signature attack because it's so recognizable. But really, if you want to spam projectiles, you should be spamming the neutral B.

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 17, 2014

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Tender Bender posted:

For me, his lemon-shooting moves are so different from a typical normal moveset which makes him seem like a gimmick/learning curved character like Mac or Rosalina.

Yeah, the key is, you shouldn't use the lemons as a primary attack at all. Since the lemons are fast, they're great for interrupting other players's charged attacks, but not a whole lot more. You can toss his neutral B razor thing like once per second, so there's no reason not to. Also, nobody knows that you can aim the razor!! Throw it straight up as people recover over your head!

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

Or throw it behind you as you go forward.

:eyepop: never thought of this... my megaman is about to get twice as annoying, bahahaha!

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

PantsBandit posted:

You throw it at the ground and pick it back up. From there you can throw it in any direction you want.

No wonder people hate mega man!!! Because of scrubs, like yourself, spreading filthy lies!!

Just press B without pressing the stick and then quickly press the stick in any direction.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Trent posted:

Picking up absurd things and putting them in your pocket is the absolute best thing about smash4.

That little fucker can pocket almost anything - it's really hilarious sometimes. My favorite, visually, is pocketing the giant tornado that the stone sword item summons when you do a smash attack.

One big downside to Villager, actually, is that so much stuff is pocketable that unpocketable things can take you by surprise. Probably 25% of my villager deaths are from trying to pocket unpocketable things - the rocket item as it falls back to earth, Robin's fully-charged lightning blast attack, various attacks in final smashes, etc.

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Dec 19, 2014

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Looper posted:

I miss Pirate Ship and Shadow Moses Island :(

I made a not bad pirate ship in the level editor:

The key to copying stages well is to have the Wii / Gamecube / n64 running the stage you want in practice mode on the TV, and then use the editor on the gamepad.

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Dec 23, 2014

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Looper posted:

That lava ocean is terrifying. All of my custom stages are variations on dicks and asses and lava balls and cannons launching you in or out of them

IMHO the lava ocean is better than the real water ocean. I love the real Pirate Ship level but the game's swimming mechanics are weird and never feel quite right.

The stage builder feels pretty half-baked at the moment. It would be amazing with just one tweak: the ability to drag individual points after a shape is drawn. At the moment, if you gently caress up just one point, your only option is to delete the entire shape and start again, which makes drawing large shapes almost impossible. Also I can't believe they give you two moving platforms but zero static platforms. Static platforms are practically the backbone of all real smash levels.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

RyokoTK posted:

You can draw static platforms though. Just make a line without any depth.

:stare: Okay time to edit every level I've made

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Macaluso posted:

I don't understand how The Great Cave Offensive ever made it past playtesting.

The same could be said for most of the singleplayer content and Smash Tour. There are lots of things in this game that are either clearly broken (smash tour's win condition) or really obtuse (even a simple game like trophy rush is confusing as hell the first 10 times) unless you're already familiar with older smash titles.

Luckily the core game is really amazing!!

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Hugoon Chavez posted:

My wife gifted me the Wii U + this beautiful piece of fun in the shape of a disc.

I can't believe I've bene playing Smash games for 15 years and still suck at them, but here I am! What's a good way to improve my game?

One thing you can do immediately is make sure you're using a button to jump, as opposed to tilting the stick upwards. If you use the stick to jump you'll have much more trouble with all aerial attacks and a ground move (up tilt) will be pretty much impossible to do.

Otherwise, just spectate / YouTube people who play the characters you like and copy what works! Pay careful attention to which moves they largely ignore and which moves they use the most.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Sakurai brought us smash bros, so he is a Good Man, but we need a different dude brought on board for the single player poo poo. Classic / All Star / Multi Man / Stadium Events are all extremely bad and by this point I'd rather they did away with singleplayer completely and used however many thousands of man-hours they'd save to throw in a half-dozen more characters. Smash with bots is the best single player mode anyways.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

How long did it take you to finish the "50,000 blocks in trophy rush" achievement? Is there some secret to speeding it up? We've already unlocked 100% of the random chance trophies so it feels like an endless grind.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Has there been any new info at all about the Mewtwo dlc? Wasn't that supposed to drop around spring? You think we'd have at least a trailer by now...

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Aren't Chorus Kids from Rhythm Heaven thought to be extremely likely if they release DLC? Beyond the false leaks, wasn't some chorus-men-related stuff found in the game code? Also didn't the guy who falsely leaked chorus men leak a lot of unlikely stuff, like Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, etc? I don't remember the specifics of all the crazy leak stuff from pre-launch, I just remember seeing chorus men brought up everywhere.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Mega Man's slowly but steadily moving up... only a matter of time before fools come to their senses and he's sitting right alongside Diddy

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

I'd have literally twice as much fun with smash 4 if they'd included a mode where you pick a different character for each stock. Unfortunately it will never ever happen until we get a new project m...

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

It's hard going back to M after 4 on Wii U... So blurry, so ugly, so desaturated, no villager...

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

I'm going to be the one vote on earth for Soda Popinski.

For real though, in retrospect, little mac is actually the most boring character in punch out because you only see the back of his head. King Hippo, Bald Bull, Soda Popinski, Glass Joe, and even the Ethnic Stereotype Guys have so much more personality. Whoops!

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

People who vote for Wolf just like his moveset, right? They don't actually like the character? Because how could anyone want Wolf over literally any other character in the Star Fox universe (except Crystal).

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

I'm not a high level player but i'd like to see Jigglypuff's Sing be more effective. Players can often roll, attack, and move right through it in ways that seem insane and unfair. I've had players roll into me while I'm singing, making physical contact, and then somehow roll back out. Jigglypuff is so lightweight and Sing leaves her vulnerable for soooo long that the risk just seems too high.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

I just want them to nerf the gently caress out of Diddy because he's a stupid character that I dislike. He's a monkey baby with a baseball hat (which says "Nintendo" on it) and a gun that shoots peanuts. I'm okay with one character sitting definitively atop the tier list as long as it's a badass character.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Pac-Man feels a lot quicker in the new version. His throw is about twice as fast as it used to be (thank god) and I'm pretty sure he recovers a lot faster from his down and side smashes.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

They should have used literally any Punch Out enemy in place of Mac. Mac is basically designed to be a blank slate.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Macaluso posted:

There's one thing Project M does that I wish the real game did, and that's

Also, the game mode where you choose a group of characters, and then you get one stock of each. It's the most fun game mode in any smash game.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Gaffle posted:

This is actually in smash 4, but only as the final battle in smash tour mode lmao

You're right!! I never really thought about this! God Dammit Nintendo

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Madmarker posted:

What do people have against K.Rool? I'm not super invested in Smash Bros drama so maybe I'm missing something, but he's a cool character from a game whose game series doesn't yet have its villain represented in the game.

he's just a badly designed character. He looks exactly like what a kindergardener would draw if you handed him some crayons and said "draw a funny villain!!" he has no style, he has no grace... but worst of all... this guy has a hosed up face.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

if [bad character] is not in [video game] i will [childlike reaction]

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

sorry but this is the best taunt in the game

he's dancing because he killed someone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

TechnoSyndrome posted:

Can someone explain to me what the hell I'm supposed to do against Robin? His stupid fire projectile leaves no room to jump in because anything past it is within punish range, and I can't just sit back and make him come to me because he'll just keep charging his loving book

Pick Villager and pocket every single projectile, and then do the Villager Dance.

• Locked thread