Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Calico Heart posted:

The Toad trophy reads "Why are they called Toads? Some are green, but they're not frog-like or anything. Captain Toad can't even jump! oh, wait... ohhhhhh, now it makes sense".

The "Pipes" trophy ends by going "Down the pipe! You sleep in pipes, dream of pipes. Pipes pipes pipes pipes pipes pipes!"

"Thwomp" is "Have you wondered what it would be like to have your own thwomp? If someone tried to break into your house, it would just go "THWOMP" on their head! Yep, a thwomp would make a great home-security system. Nowhere sells them though. Sad times"

Seriously read some of them, it really made me consider what the job must have been like.

I think we just discovered what gyra_solune does for a living.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

If you can't find a GCN adapter try best buy, a bunch of their stores in my area have it available for in-store pickup today.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I might pick up a pro controller today because movement with the joysticks feels a little mushy for me too and I think it might be because all my GameCube controllers are like 10 years old and got beaten the hell up through tons of Smash in high school/college.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

pacmania90 posted:

I'm not exactly clear on this. What do Amiibos actually do?

You level them up by playing with or against them in Smash, I'm not sure how long that's supposed to entertain you since I was just playing with mine for about an hour yesterday and he got up to level 38. Apparently at higher levels (they max out at 50) they're much tougher than a normal AI? Which seems kinda lame that I guess there's more advanced AI in this game but you can only experience it from characters that you buy a $14 figurine for.

For other games it basically gives you the equivalent of $2 dlc (a costume in Mario Kart, a weapon or small item pack in Hyrule Warriors).

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Yo add me for some goon smashing. NNID: Ganondalf42.

I just sent out some invites to some of yall but got bored.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I got a few legit kills with Ganon, just move to the bottom left and start smashing/dorf kicking. For some reason going right got me immediately gangbanged but going left gives you a chance to get some hits in as they approach.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I wish there was an option to use the c-stick for tilts instead of smashes. I've always had a hard time doing a tilt quickly, it usually ends up being a Smash instead.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

My biggest problem is that there's a lack of stages with interesting structures, like Great Bay/Fourside/Corneria. The huge stages are cool but everything else is thin platforms over a larger platform, with too many that fly around and constantly change. Like, I enjoy Skyloft and New Mario U, but I'd enjoy them lot more if they just picked one of their locations, made it a bit more substantial and settled with that. Level transitions suck because too often you or your opponent will get caught at a bad time and the level will fly away as they're trying to recover or something.

And there's a lot of redundancy/odd choices in what they chose to bring back. Did we need Smashville or Lylat Cruise when we have new stages from those franchises, and the returning ones are really boring?

The Crotch posted:

Pretty sure there is?

_Endgame_ posted:

There is, simply go to controls and put the c stick on "attack" instead of "smash"

You're right! Thanks friends.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I hate when I run into those Smash savants who are just untouchable. Had this guy just shorthopping and shielding and grabbing me all over the place and there was nothing I could do. If I tried to shield his attacks he'd just recover and grab me first somehow. Normally if someone's better than me I still at least get my hits in and have a good time but it was like he was playing a completely different game. My fingers just can't move that fast.

RyokoTK posted:

Smashville is kinda weird to bring back but it was a fan favorite from Brawl so whatever. Also Lylat and Orbital Gate Assault are entirely different, even if they are from the same franchise. Lylat is a fairly standard map with platforms and OGA is closer to Poke Floats than anything else. But I wouldn't say that Lylat and Smashville are boring; the basic maps are really good for straight up fighting and provide a good balance to some of the more elaborate newcomers like Mario Circuit.

But this game has a really good variety of stage styles. If you want substantial stages that don't move around much/at all, you've got Duck Hunt, Windy Hill, Wrecking Crew, Mario Galaxy, Gamer and Wii Fit Studio. I think a lot of the returning stages are of the more simple variety because, well, how different can a stage with three platforms be from another? Lylat is really good for what it is, there's no need to reinvent the wheel, and the map designers can spend more time making really cool and neat stages like Gamer, Orbital Gate Assault or Mushroom Kingdom U.

Eh, maybe I need to play them more but Duck Hunt, Mario Galaxy and Wii Fit Studio seem kind of featureless. Guar Plains and the larger ones like Palutena's Temple are cool because they have structure and aren't just a flat platform with things platforms above it. As for returning stages, the ones I mentioned (Great Bay, Fourside, Corneria) aren't three platforms, that's why I would've liked to see them. Temple is a good stage to bring back for example because it offers something different. Maybe the stage selection will grow on me but for now it's kinda uninspiring to look at the level select screen and see most of the options are either a few thin platforms over a larger platform, or stages where you swap through locations and spend most of the time on thin platforms over a larger platform.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Nov 23, 2014

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I can't tell if I hate the pro controller joystick or if I just need to get used to it. It feels more slippery and not as precise as the GameCube one. I actually like the button placement though and the battery/convenience is nice.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

After playing more with the pro controller I decided I officially hate that clicky joysticks became a thing. I can't think of a single Wii U game that even uses them. It causes the stick to make occasional creaky noises when I'm smashing hard so I worry about breaking it.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Gimbal lock posted:

Adding myself to the list of fools that's ready and willing to do some smashing -- NNID is Gimbal_Lock

Edit: moving this to the imp zone thread since I guess that's where the tviv posting goes. Spoilers: I got my rear end kicked.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Nov 24, 2014

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

While Ganondorf is better than he was in Brawl he still has the old man run and raspy voice. I miss Melee Dorf's Wizard Punch roar.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

If you're experiencing a lot of lag, make sure the problem isn't on your end. After an hour or so of smooth smashing last night I had two new goons join a room and suddenly there was a literal one-second input delay. Like the game was running normal speed but my guy wouldn't react to button presses for at least a second. Goons aren't immune to lagging sadly.

Edit: maybe that means I started lagging suddenly? I dunno.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Nov 24, 2014

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Oh I didn't realize amiibos actually learn behavior, I thought that was bullshit advertisement-speak for "they level up and are more difficult". If they learn something can you retrain them by fighting differently or do you need to erase them and start over?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Yea the more I read about them the shittier amiibos seem. The best AI in the game is gimped. There's a more challenging version that learns on the disc, but you can only activate it for one character at a time by buying $13 figurines. It's that awful kind of dlc that Nintendo was praised for avoiding until now.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Yea I can see why kids would want a dragon figure or something that can come to life in their game. The mistake with amiibos became readily apparent when I tapped my Mario amiibo to the gamepad and it showed a little animation of the figurine coming to life, like tadaaa, Mario's here! Except I'd already been playing as Mario for an hour.

Blackheart posted:

I guess that's one retarded way of looking at it.

What's the nonretarded way?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Colosseum and Wii Fit Studio are such boring stages, aesthetically and in terms of layout. I mean they not bad, but unless there's a gimmick I don't know about there's no reason I'd ever pick them.

Waverhouse posted:

I've been doing them by imagining the grab as a smash-attack-type motion. So you hit the other direction and then R+A at the same time (if anything, I am erring on the side of hitting R before A, although not by much). That said, it doesn't look like they add the crazy reach like in games before (at least not with Falco and Ganon, my two main dudes). Nor does it appear to quicken the lag time of the whiffed grab with Samus (who is the only ranged grab person Ive really tried with).

Still good for the trick of running past a guy and pivot grabbing, or pivot grabbing if they've position behind you.

Can you do it with just the grab button, instead of shieldgrab?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

How do you use b-airs effectively, like you say to approach with it? It seems like that's a key move for a lot of characters but I don't really know how to use it well without slowly setting it up.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Crossposting from the Wii U thread: For the joystick on the gamepad/pro controller, the "boundary" of how far it moves is the actual stick hitting the rim outside the controller, right, not any internal mechanism? I smash with vigor and I'm paranoid about damaging the thing.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I'm not sure if different counters have different effectiveness, but with Shulk I KO'd a Dedede who was at 50% by countering his rocket hammer so that was cool.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

There's a huge Nintendo display at my mall with like eight Wii U's and twice as many 3DS setup. Two parents, a kid and a grandma were playing a fourway Smash on a giant screen. The grandma was Ganondorf and toward the end she got the smash ball but didn't use it and spent the final 20 seconds just marching back and forth doing his f-tilt while glowing with Final Smash energy. Whoever was playing Duck Hunt Dog won but grandma came in second and kept exclaiming "I came in second!" over and over. A cool grandma.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Dec 3, 2014

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Uh oh!

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I just realized the portraits on the character select screen match the trophy/amiibo poses :doh:

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I hope they patch more options into the online at some point. It would be nice to play on real stages in anything other than four-player, two-minute timed matches. Right now if none of my friends are up for Smashing the only good option is to cycle through 1v1 For Glory and hope you get someone who's around your skill level and doesn't leave after a match (which, admittedly, is really fun when the stars align).

Also I already have a bunch of goon friends, but add me if you haven't: NNID Ganondalf42.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Dec 14, 2014

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

For Little Mac, use his side B to recover, that'll keep you alive much longer than trying to jump back and up-B to the stage. Still doesn't help with platform heavy stages or if you fall too far before you regain control, but it helps.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Being able to patch the game at all, and being willing to do so to fix broken characters, already gives this game way more potential longevity than any other entry in the series. Continuous fine tuning in non-emergency cases would be great, but if they opt out of that, eh it sucks but isn't the end of the world. I still wish they'd give Olimar one or two more pikmin and some real B moves, but oh well.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Dec 15, 2014

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

There was no one online the other night and I was bored of For Glory so I knocked off a bunch of challenges. The ones that aren't bullshit are actually pretty fun, there's just enough reward there to make me try out new characters or spend a few minutes in modes like Target Blast or Multiman Melee that I normally had no interest in.

Also I like items but you gotta keep them on low. Even the "normal" spawn rate feels way too high, it feels like you spend more time grabbing items than doing anything else.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

That sounds to hard I wish it was space animals and marth only

Have you heard of Super Smash Bros Melee for the GameCube? It's one of the earliest games in this series, I used to play it a lot in high school and college. I never really got into the competitive scene but from what I've heard it's pretty much exactly what you're looking for. If you've got a Wii or GameCube lying around and you can find a used copy somewhere I'd give it a shot.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Polo-Rican posted:

I don't understand why nobody seems to play as megaman. He was one of the top-requested characters for Brawl. He's in, he's amazing, and nobody plays as him.

It's so easy to rack up damage with him, and he has great KO options. His forward smash has range and amazing KO. His up tilt is an uppercut with amazing. His back air amazing KO ability. And what feels best of all is his grab, it feels like one of the fastest in the game. The only thing about him that feels weak or confusing is his down-b.

For me, his lemon-shooting moves are so different from a typical normal moveset which makes him seem like a gimmick/learning curved character like Mac or Rosalina. And he had really bad buzz from people who had the 3DS game so I was never inclined to try him out. I'll definitely give him a shot because he sounds Powerful!

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Reiley posted:

I use Quick Attack a lot which is up+b->new direction->other new direction in about a half second and I had serious responsiveness issues with the WiiU Pro Controller. The Wii one was actually more responsive but the stick sat so high up, the Gamecube controller rolls just right

I thought it was just mine, but there seems to be a noticeable dead zone in the middle of the stick. I tested it out and found that you can nudge the stick slightly in any direction without getting an onscreen response, which isn't the case with the gcn controller.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The hammer attack when he's falling is actually really strong with good KO ability though.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Ok I played a match as Megaman in the middle of a long set against a good player and I wrecked him. Megaman is officially S tier.

Crash Bomb and then forward smashing when they panic and run at you is great. Also dat uppercut.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

If it you're trying to get good to play online, it helps to stick with one character for a while to learn their ins and outs. Even though everyone has the same controls, they all play differently, even with their normal A moves. For example, Diddy's forward air is completely different than Donkey Kong's forward air and using them in the same way won't work out (a more extreme comparison is Megaman's uptilt vs Ganondorf's). "Enemy is above me, I'll push toward him and attack" will work in normal play and parties but won't get you very far otherwise.

Also items are cool but if you're just learning the game I'd turn them off or at least to low until you get a handle on the basics. There are a ton of items and some of them are really powerful and I find on normal frequency they kind of dominate the gameplay.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I like Palutena Temple, the match becomes a bunch of little fights in separate areas of the stage, especially in a free for all. At least it's unique. My problem with the Wii U stages is that a lot of them are too samey and boring. There aren't many that are flatout bad, but when I go to the level select I usually hover the cursor around for a while because most of the stages just kind of blur together. It doesn't help that most of the returning stages are boring as hell, who wanted more Elden Bridge/Norfair/Lylat Cruise/Mario Kart?

Then there's stages like Pyrosphere and Wily Castle which are both boring AND miserable to play on. I think Skyloft is my favorite new stage just because it does something besides "Battlefield Lite".

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Classic would be so much better if there was always an option to pick a 1v1 fight, as it is it's a crapshoot and your entire classic run could be a tedious slog through endless 5-8 player free for alls which aren't hard but carry the risk of some random rear end in a top hat grabbing a hammer and ruining your run. Then you fight Master Core who is so much harder than the preceding fights and if you gently caress up go spend 10-15 minutes on another run.

Macaluso posted:

They try so hard to capture the Hyrule Temple magic but they just can't. At least with Palutena's Temple I can see how they were like "okay this could work" (the big huge gap int he middle like Guar Plains is the big problem I think) but I don't understand how The Great Cave Offensive ever made it past playtesting.

Actually the hole in the middle owns and pursuing your opponent onto those moving platforms is one of the most brave and manly things you can do.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Are the uploaded stages curated in any way or are they just thrown up there? I checked them out for a couple minutes but as far as I could tell they were just sorted chronologically.

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's not even that Mac is particularly over or under-powered, it's that his design is such that you can only win with or against him in boring ways. He's not interesting. You either play him super safe with careful movement and super-armored smash attacks and win on the ground, or you use any unsafe options and lose. There will never be a Little Mac fight that is fun to play or watch. He's just a badly-made character.

The best way to play Mac is super aggressive with careful movement and super-armored smash attacks. He's fun as hell and with 50 characters it's cool that a couple have radically different styles than the rest.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Dizz posted:

I just hate hot Little Mac is pretty much dead if he even gets tapped off the stage. It's like fighting metal characters except they sometimes survive.

He's got decent horizontal recovery with his side B but yea if you go below the stage you're done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I've always liked the background art in the Hyrule Castle 64 stage, doubly so more now that I learned it was made with an older version of Ocarina of Time in mind. Which makes sense considering how long that game was in development respectively.

I thought it was based off the Zelda NES map?

• Locked thread