Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Heavy neutrino posted:

I still can't believe Israel's legal system somehow allows the prime minister to bulldoze someone's home as punishment for criminal action

I like this one too:

quote:

It implemented a Mandate-era law that forbids the presence of lawyers when questioned, only employed for Israeli-Jews once or twice in Israel’s history according to the lawyer for the victim’s family.

Hmm I wonder what they keep a colonial law on the books for and who they usually use it against :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost
That's literally the reason why the Geneva Convention prohibits settlement of occupied territory. Because there's not really any choice for whom violence is going to be directed against if the civilians act as placeholders for an invading army.

And you really cannot blame Palestinians for the one-state-solution not happening. The idea that Israel would give every Palestinian full political rights anywhere in the next 100 years is just silly.

peak debt fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Nov 19, 2014

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost

Smudgie Buggler posted:

I guess there is always the choice not to murder people going to shul. A thought.

Considering that you quantified that with "going to shul" do you believe that there is a class of Israelis that are permissible to murder as a resistance action?

If yes, who?
If not, what would you suggest Palestinians do to end the occupation.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost

team overhead smash posted:

It is permissible to kill the IDF, which would not constitute murder as they are the opposing armed force in an ongoing conflict.

The Palestinians have a right to resistance but that doesn't extend to killing civilians.

That principle is undermined by Israel moving civilians into occupied territory. If there were no nonmilitary Israelis in the West Bank there wouldn't be any civilian casualties. And the Israeli press would still be calling "terrorist" on every resistance action like they did with the attack on the soldier on the 10th.

Dr. Stab posted:

I find it pretty easy to fault someone who stabbed a bunch of innocent people to death.

It's easy to find fault but assigning blame without a suggestion on how to do better is quite useless. Not doing anything against an unjust situation is also morally wrong. And both Israel and the world at large has proven simply by the fact that this has been going on for almost 50 years now without any sign of improving that they don't care about nonviolent resistance.

peak debt fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Nov 20, 2014

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost

No it isn't. There is nothing conditional about whether you are allowed to directly attack civilians depending on whether or not they're settled on your territory. You aren't.

Yep, the Geneva Convention does not sanction a remedy against violations in any of its laws, and therefore does not legalize any such action. Be it shooting on military units flying a white flag from an army that's known to use white flags to set up ambushes, or attacking civilians from a country that are being used to occupy a territory.
But it does mean that the responsibility for whatever terrible things happen due to a violation is at the very least shared between the parties.

Dr. Stab posted:

What they did was worse than nothing because now a bunch of people are dead and peace is further away.

Welcome to the middle east, where this is what both sides do because "gently caress it, why not".

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost

Your opinion has no basis in international military law

The US army sure has no problem cancelling just about every prosecution of its soldiers with just that reason.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost

You say that like the US army isn't lovely too.

It is an internationally "accepted" practice though.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost

Plek posted:

Ethnic cleansing IS genocide, so why bother making a distinction on the term?

Because discussions about terminology are hardly ever useful, and a lot of people's first association to genocide is straight up murder.

This is also why I call Gaza a ghetto, not a concentration camp. A lot of people associate the second term with gas chambers and forced labor.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost

SedanChair posted:

Which is inappropriate why?

Because you will spend the next half hour talking about what the exact definition of genocide is and leave some Israeli shill looking all smug at you having to admit that what Israel does is not exactly as bad as the trail of tears or the Armenian genocide.

While you could've turned the whole thing around and have him try to squirm around trying to explain why the current map of the West Bank isn't ethnic cleansing.

SedanChair posted:

Concentration camps imply nothing other than concentration. For example the US ran concentration camps in WWII, and the reservation system could also be called concentration camps.

Literally true.

But ask random people what a concentration camp is and 95% will draw you Auschwitz.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost

My Imaginary GF posted:

How do I know thats in Jerusalem?

Hay guys I just found out that the Eastern Roman Empire is a total fakeout. Those fucks claim that their capital was Byzantium when that city clearly DOES NOT EXIST.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost
Who can guarantee that the turtle doesn't have a suicide bomb in its shell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost
Same reason why the US won't do anything about violent cops. The instant you put somebody in prison you have 500 representative delivering talking points to the media how your politicians arent supporting OUR BOYS and you suddenly lose as many votes as if you'd been caught fiddling little boys.

• Locked thread