Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

My Imaginary GF posted:

Israel stands against a Hamas-ISIS alliance. America cannot let them stand alone.

E:

A more elaborate explanation is that, like ISIS, the current attacks in Israel appear to be a social movement attracting disaffected individuals to promote the aims of more amoral political organizations.

OK now would you like to translate that into something remotely true or factual, for people not bound to agree with it by a complex system of patronage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

My Imaginary GF posted:

America has had to compromise on its acceptance of Assad's power base remaining in power in Syria. This is a case which Netanyahu has surely learned an invaluable lesson from.

I'm MIGF, I like to weigh in on things I understand. Here's my take on I/P: "Netanyahu learns"

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

My Imaginary GF posted:

Because he doesn't call for death to israel at every turn, he is obviously an Israeli stooge and likelong a Mossad plant. This is the actual opinion of individuals. This is not an insane position to hold for most readers of this thread.

To me, its absolutely fuckn insanity.

Would he have his position without Mossad?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

False Flag Rape posted:

I hope to god israel retaliates.

They already retaliated, the two guys who did it were killed at the scene.

Wait *gasp* do you mean attack somebody who wasn't involved?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Guys what if neither Israel nor Hamas had any power, and were actually just two old men playing checkers in a restaurant, I believe you'll find this thought exercise enlightening and MAY turn a few of your preconceptions, as it were, on their heads

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

My Imaginary GF posted:

The exact same thing as Israel? No, not at all. They'd be doing the exact same thing as ISIS.

If Hamas started getting more US military aid than any other nation, they would use that aid to steal oil and traffic slaves?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Apparently crowds are gathering in Jerusalem calling for war. It doesn't even take guns or a car to start a war any more, I guess you can do it with an axe and a knife. Soon enough Israel will be declaring little wars for slipping on a banana peel. *slide whistle noise*

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

My Imaginary GF posted:

Israel does plenty of wrong. Nation-states exist to deprive individuals of absolute liberty, for absolute liberty is anarchy. The question is, why is Israel held to a higher standard in its wrongs than other states in the world, much less the region?

Because we give them a gently caress ton of aid

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Don't you understand the danger of letting Muslims pray to their god too close to the shrine of power? The Dragon Ball will float right out and they'll put it in their knapsack.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

My Imaginary GF posted:

...no Arab attack is carried out against Israel for 2 election cycles.

So I suppose HAMISIS would be justified in nuking Israel if Israel can't keep any Zionist attacks from happening for two election cycles. We're not applying two sets of standards are we?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Ahmadinejad's cartoon contest, Ahmadinejad's cartoon contest. Cartoons! Watch out for that shrapnel because cartoons create a lot of shrapnel when they hit the roof of your house.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Friendly Tumour posted:

So what's the anti-israeli side's take on killing rabbis in synagogues with meat cleavers?

It'll be used as an excuse to murder hundreds if not thousands of innocent people.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Baudolino posted:

In a twisted way this guy gets it. At the end of the day the best weapon the palestinans have are the wombs of their young women. It`s the one weapon that Israel can not competently deal with. Rockets do not threaten them, suicide-bombers merely terrify and going around hacking random jews to death won`t stop them either. But demographics will make the current situation untenable for Israel. Forget about Arafat or Hamas, it is young mothers that will bring defeat to Israel.

And they know it, and will sink to much lower depths than this before Israel is defeated.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Job Truniht posted:

Before we go down this rabbit hole: What in particular about Israel is civilian?

The cats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpqiHchsbE0

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Friendly Tumour posted:

Is there any reason to think that both sides are willing to bury the hatchet and live in a single state without killing each other?

Not for Israel, no. Their hardliners are too powerful.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

My Imaginary GF posted:

Its kinda hard to sympathize with indiscriminate rocket attacks and rabbi assassinations, yet folks in this thread find reasons to justify these acts.

Why would it be hard? It doesn't seem to be hard to sympathize with people who take carefree selfies in bomb shelters because they know there is no real danger, while voting in psychopaths who kill thousands of innocent people.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

The Insect Court posted:

I think I see. What you seem to be saying is that what's behind the hatred is the belief that instead of people holding a wide and diverse range of opinions on a variety of issues, Jewish Israelis are a sort of monolithic hivemind definitely exclusively by their persecution of the Palestinians? And that they all bear collective guilt for the crimes committed against Palestinians, and so all Jewish Israelis should be held "accountable" and the only question is what degree of accountability should be meted out(boycott, international court, rockets, hatchets, etc.) Was the recent occurrence in that synagogue in Jerusalem an example of accountability(even if a somewhat overzealous one)?

I don't know what sort of projection you've got going on TIC but it's always impressive and grandiose. I don't feel like hatchets can be accountability man, that's terrible.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Heavy neutrino posted:

It's been, what, four threads at this point and you dumb fuckers still haven't learned to ignore The Insect Court's attempts to de-rail it with accusations of anti-semitism?

It's not a derail, this is literally what the arguments on the other side are. We can have an echo chamber or we can have poo poo lies and wild accusations of anti-semitism. These are your choices in debating and discussing I/P.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

MeLKoR posted:

Please stop replying to this disingenuous rear end in a top hat, he's not arguing with you, he's just framing anything you say as coming from anti-semitism a visceral repulsion of jews.

It makes a ton of sense if you read his strawmen as "things I fear are true."

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Yeah maybe these are the same disaffected youth who in another country would commit random violence against a perceived enemy, like women or their teachers or boss or what have you. It's just that as Palestinians they have a really clear, obvious enemy who is trying to wipe them out at all times, so if they get unbalanced and develop a personal persecution narrative we can make a good guess what it's going to form around.

Israeli politics is designed to make young Palestinian men snap.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

DarkCrawler posted:

Narrow opinion is better then poo poo-and-run posting, which is all that your side is able to contribute. Put up or shut up.

As usual, "enforcement of correct thought" is "saying things and arguing." American right wing Israel apologists get confused because people on the internet don't just nod their heads agreeably like their terrified employees.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

My Imaginary GF posted:

If by 'apartheid and colonialism' you mean 'development of state institutions,' then yes, I stand by Israeli policy. Not only is it easier to do so in America, its very popular, and extremely profitable to do so. Yeah, I won't respond to the shittiest posters, because there is nothing to respond to that will influence them or allow others to gain a finer understanding of the political realities.

Its great and all that so many folks make a moral argument against Israel. Morals don't belong in politics, especially not on a state policy level, and until you can make an economic argument against Israel you won't get anywhere or sway anyone. All you'll get is lip service with no substantive change.

E:

Some context, I was at a UN conference on global education recently and the Palestinian observing representative reported that Gazan attainment of the educational goals was completely halted and not expected to resume until 2017 at the earliest. Pretty obvious this would happen w/r/t Hamas' rocket policy, and now non-Turkish member states are less willing to fund education in Gaza than they are new rockets. poo poo happens, you can anticipate it to occur and mitigate it from a policy standpoint. UN school programs refused to do so, and now they're SOL.

loving dumbass teachers trying to live

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

The Insect Court posted:

I was merely concerned for your well-being, C.G. Not only do you have paranoid delusions of persecution in which you seem to believe that any post in this thread by someone expressing a contrary opinion is an accusation of bigotry(which would be bad enough) your frothing and increasing incoherent response to those imagined allegations almost makes it seem as if they wound you deeply. Which is odd, because if someone made a totally baseless accusation against me, I'd just laugh it off. Not sure where your reaction is coming from :shrug:

Can't you at least admit to making the allegations? Would that be too close to sincerity?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Xander77 posted:

gently caress right off with that disingenuous bullshit.

Are you back to pretending? I thought we had made some breakthroughs.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Well Israelis do tend to have a rather...energetic way of participating in their country's worst crimes.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Xander77 posted:

Not to steal Absurd's "I'm on of the good ones" shtick, but you can go through my post history in the previous thread or just... stop making assumptions about what I'm trying to say here based on "he seems to be defending Israel, that fucker" reflexes.

Oh oh here's a good one.

Xander77 posted:

"Israel is (very slowly, very inefficiently) *genociding* the Palestinian population - you know, the method of genocide that lasts for decades and results in a major net population growth (and applies more to those Palestinians currently fighting Israel far more to those who aren't" - what is this, even? It's not actually true. It's a good way to make sure anyone who can think who even moderately supports Israel stops listening to your argument, even if you're making the true points above. It's a really good way to discourage and to stawman the flailing mostly useless Israeli left. What's the point of it? Just because "genocide" sounds more impressive, and fighting against it means you're a better person than if you were fighting a "mere" unjust occupation?

You defend Israel a fair bit, you just do it in this "let's be really precise about terms" style. But then when the terms are precise enough you say "now you're going to turn off Israeli Moderates Riding a Unicorn."

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Mr.48 posted:

Unfortunately for most people debating on the internet is all about absolutes: Either a person agrees with you on everything and is therefore ok, or they disagree on any detail and is the worst person in the world.

"Is Israel apartheid y/n"

"Is Israel genocidal y/n"

Details?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Mr.48 posted:

You may be trying to be ironic but this actually why I dread participating in I/P threads. I've had instances where D&D posters would ask a single question a dozen times (after I already answered it) aimed at a minor point I made in a much larger post and would refuse to engage on anything else.

Depends on your definition of Apartheid
n

Funny how appalling things stand out. If I said "let's deport all Pakistanis" but talked mostly about ice cream in a post, what would you focus on?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

peak debt posted:

Because discussions about terminology are hardly ever useful, and a lot of people's first association to genocide is straight up murder.

Which is inappropriate why?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Concentration camps imply nothing other than concentration. For example the US ran concentration camps in WWII, and the reservation system could also be called concentration camps.

Patrick Spens posted:

Hamas's goal isn't a two state solution, it is a single Islamic State.

I see what you did there.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

peak debt posted:

Because you will spend the next half hour talking about what the exact definition of genocide is and leave some Israeli shill looking all smug at you having to admit that what Israel does is not exactly as bad as the trail of tears or the Armenian genocide.

They'll look smug anyway. If you have gotten them to the point of "not as bad as the Armenian genocide" who has won the argument?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Mr.48 posted:

"He supports deporting Pakistanis, therefore his opinions on ice-cream are invalid" is not a logical argument in a debate.

No but "why is this freak talking about ice cream as though he deserved to be treated like a reasonable person" is.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

JeffersonClay posted:

We need a definition of genocide that is narrow enough to exclude Sherman's march to the sea.

"Southerner" isn't a people.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I would just like to point out that MIGF is a fantasist and religious nutjob who believes the Torah contains the supreme moral law for all people and that he could bring down the Chicago machine, but only at the cost of his own life.

So, pretty bog standard Israel apologist I guess

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

The Insect Court posted:

Do you have any reason to believe that MIGF is Jewish, SedanChair? Other than your well-documented tendency to see agents of the Zionist conspiracy in every shadow?

Not that there's anything wrong with him being Jewish, if he is. At least, I don't think so. Do you have a problem with that S.C? I ask because you seem to find the religious beliefs you ascribe to MIGF particularly objectionable.

MIGF has been raving about the supremacy of Jewish law in another thread for days. Still I didn't assume he's Jewish; nor did I say anything about his being Jewish, only that he is a religious nutjob which he definitely is. D- see me after class

e: and any person who claims religion and the same appalling beliefs MIGF does is by definition perverse and highly objectionable; you're just a runaway-rear end wimp though

woke wedding drone fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Nov 22, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

The Insect Court posted:

But doesn't any religious believer think that their faith's holy scriptures contain the supreme moral law? :shrug:

I'm sure that virtually every Muslim in the world would state that they believe the Qu'ran contains the supreme moral law. Do you think all Muslims are religious nutjobs S.C? Or just religious people who believe in the supreme moral authority of the Torah? Because I find either of those beliefs to be quite troubling.

Nobody cares about what you find troubling, moral cripple.

If you're going to shrug, shrug at your own bad faith and idiocy. Read MIGF's posts instead of asking me, idiot. Were "all Muslims" posting in this thread or was MIGF? Then why on earth would I talk about them? Typical Muslim-baiter, expecting people to just take potshots at Muslims for no reason.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

The Insect Court posted:

I spoke up because I discerned some troubling beliefs in your posts in regards to people of faith including Muslims. You insinuate that anyone who believes in the primacy of their religious tradition is a "supremacist" and a nutjob. Remarkably similar to the way right-wing Islamophobes view Muslims, in that it rhetorically eliminates moderate believers by lumping in all devout Muslims with the fanatical fringe.

What are you, The Insect Court? Are you a moderate?

What are you?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

down with slavery posted:

whats a moderate?

People like John Kerry, who slip and get appalled sometimes.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

My Imaginary GF posted:

Stop assigning Palestinians zero agency for their foreign policy.

Palestine's a nation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

My Imaginary GF posted:

Palestinians clearly have popular opinion in foreign policy issues. Namely, in favor of a one-state solution. It takes leadership to prevent Palestinians from undertaking this doomed effort, leadership which Hamas does not, nor has ever, had.

So the only acceptable foreign policy for Palestinians is a dictator who ignores their wishes?

• Locked thread