Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
This thread is somehow worse than the last 2 already. Next person who posts on a topic that's not Israel gets probated for a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

My Imaginary GF posted:

If you cannot see the context with Jewish presence at the temple mount being a "contamination" of the site in the eyes of Arabs, I cannot help you.

My Imaginary GF posted:

quote:

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu of Israel has repeatedly said he will not alter the status quo at the site, where non-Muslims are allowed to visit but not openly pray. Even so, President Mahmoud Abbas of the Palestinian Authority has called on Palestinians to protect the area and has warned of a “holy war” if it is “contaminated” by Jews.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/11/19/world/middleeast/killings-in-jerusalem-synagogue-complex.html?referrer=&_r=0

I realize this would put me on the super fringe in Israel (since most Jews think it'd be profane to pray at the site), but as a not particularly religious Jew, I sort of feel like if someone wants to pray there, they should let them, regardless of their religion.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Out comes the super-armored Caterpillars

Hope no one gets run over. I'm totally against demolishing homes, it feels so childish, but this probably isn't the best case to make a stand on it.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Classy

quote:

Shortly before 6 P.M. on Tuesday, Israeli media outlets received emails containing six pictures from the scene of the massacre in the Jerusalem synagogue. Four of the photos contained difficult images of bloodied prayer shawls and prayer books, but two were particularly gruesome, showing the bodies of two of victims.

The photographs came from the most official source possible – the Government Press Office, whose photographer, Kobi Gideon, was sent to the scene, where he was given first and practically exclusive access to the site of the killings. The decision to distribute the nightmarish photos was made by the national communications headquarters in the Prime Minister’s Office.

“This was an exceptional event and so the means are also exceptional,” the headquarters staff admitted on Tuesday. They noted that during the wave of suicide attacks more than a decade ago, the government distributed photos of bodies lying in charred buses to local and foreign media outlets. The officials explained that distributing the photos served media interests and conveyed the message of the State of Israel without violating anyone’s privacy.

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/.premium-1.627257

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Brainbread posted:

... isn't same-sex marriage illegal in Israel?

Well, civil marriage doesn't really exist in Israel, it's left to the religious authorities.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Hamas is equally likely as Israel to be investigated here.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Well, the US kind of tried the same thing.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

logosanatic posted:

Im not terribly informed on the entire history of Israel.

I don't believe you're being honest.

edit: While I recall banning the accusation of Hasbara in one of these threads, the whole just registered yesterday and just asking questions because I'm naive and want to learn shtick isn't doing you any favors.

And learn how to use apostrophes.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/banlist.php?userid=114216

Xandu fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 28, 2015

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

I don't know, it's pretty fascinating to me that in a conflict between Israel and the Syrian regime, one would come down on criticizing the Israelis. :)

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Hezbollah AT rocket took out an IDF humvee apparently. Mortar attacks on the Golan.

Looks like Netanyahu got his war.

Edit: Oh and apparently in the meanwhile IDF has started shelling southern lebanon and managed to kill a spanish UN peace keeper.

This poo poo's gotta be worth at least 6 seats in the knesset I bet.

Did they attack from Lebanon?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah I don't really have much of an issue with him bombing the crap out of the Syrian regime. Starting another war in Lebanon though...

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Yes, near the Shebaa Farms.

edit: Missed this the first time around. That explains their response I guess.

Xandu fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jan 28, 2015

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

quote:

Mughniyah wasn’t alone in his confidence to operate freely in Damascus. During the operation, the CIA and Mossad had a chance to kill Qassem Soleimani, commander of Iran’s Quds Force, as he and Mughniyah walked together. Soleimani was an archenemy of Israel and had also orchestrated the training of Shiite militias in Iraq.

“At one point, the two men were standing there, same place, same street. All they had to do was push the button,” said one former official.

But the operatives didn’t have the legal authority to kill Soleimani, the officials said. There had been no presidential finding to do so.

Wonder what that's going to do to US-Iran relations

Xandu fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 31, 2015

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

No. I know it's hard to believe the CIA cares anything about legality, but basically everything they do has a DOJ memo and a presidential finding attached to it.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

This is interesting. According to Tablet Mag (notoriously pro-Israeli-righwing, be forewarned), the NYT corrected its reporting to show that Netanyahu in fact did inform the White House about his visit, thus being in line with protocol. They take this to be deliberate dissembling by WH spokespeople and the NYT, as well as the rest of the Liberal Media. What NYT do say is the following:

An earlier version of this article misstated when Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu of Israel accepted Speaker John A. Boehner’s invitation to address Congress. He accepted after the administration had been informed of the invitation, not before.

It seems to be ambiguous as to how the Administration has been informed.

This is reviving the feeling I had that Boehner is actually throwing Netanyahu under the bus here, to avoid being charged under the Logan Act.

Hardly matters even if it's true, Biden's not attending and other democrats will be boycotting. The White House certainly feels protocol was breached.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Biden? He just announced he would be "overseas".

http://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Politics-And-Diplomacy/VP-Biden-to-skip-Netanyahus-speech-before-Congress-390257

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

SedanChair posted:

So the potato is a grenade? Thanks Tom.

It all makes sense now.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Motherfucker, when Abe Foxman tells you you've gone too far, you ain't good for the Jews, and I don't care what Habbad says.

I wonder how much of this denouncement has to do with upcoming elections in Israel and everyone hoping Bibi will be replaced.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

ZOA is off the rails:

ZOA: Foxman and Jacobs "reminiscent of Jewish condemnation of Peter Bergson and Ben Hecht for trying to speak to Congress about Nazi threat

https://twitter.com/nathanguttman/status/564942284358438912

I mean, that's nothing new, but still

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

Thanks for the translation, Xander. One little peek into people's real lives and concerns in Israel and Palestine is worth more than ten pages of squabbling over ideologies or sparring over politicians' press releases.

And on that note, I don't think we'll be able to gauge the real effects of Bibi's speech until we see how the national Iran policy ends up. Dems refusing to show up to his speech is certainly encouraging, but does it mean they're willing to vote against the Iran sanctions, the policy that Netanyahu is coming here to advocate for? Are prominent Dems like Pelosi choosing Netanyahu and the Israel lobby over Obama? I fear we can't say much for sure until the cards come down on an actual issue of real political importance.

I think a lot of it depends on a final deal, but I'd say democrats are largely inclined right now to give Obama leeway to negotiate and hopefully come up with something satisfactory.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

I wonder who's music they used in that.

edit: Classy

quote:

The snatch of Arabic rap lyrics is excerpted from a song by an Amman-based Palestinian group called Torabyeh: “I want to be buried in the same cemetery that my grandfather was buried in. Since my childhood I’ve been dreaming of becoming a soldier and as time passed I discovered who I wanted to belong to: Mahmoud Abbas, Fateh, Hamas or…Jabha [the DFLP] …”

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Dolash posted:

If that ad is indicative of the direction of Israeli discourse then it's only a matter of time before a leader gains political momentum for whom "The left are traitors, only I can protect you" is not just an underhanded sales pitch but a sincere belief.

I don't know about leaders, but it's definitely a sincere belief among a lot of Israelis.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

My Imaginary GF posted:

T
here's only one nation where its safe to be Jewish, with no risk that the government will ever implement 'repress the jews' as state policy.

This is bullshit and you know it. Stop posting if you're going to post like this.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

emanresu tnuocca posted:

MIGF is tireseome for sure but a lot of Jews believe what he just said to be true, particularly Jews living in Israel but it is my understanding that there are many Jews in the states who feel safer knowing they have a safehaven they can flee to where it is the Jews who fly the F16s, four of those are interviewed in Yoav Shamir's "Defamation", if you consider this to be a dishonest argument cause it comes from MIGF's dishonest mouth that's one thing but it would take a little more to convince people than just decreeing it to be bullshit out of hand.

A more right-leaning person might take this opportunity to remind you that German jews in the early 20th century felt that Germany was the safest place for them to be, and thus your own personal views living as a Jew in america and feeling safe are historically not that meaningful.

I get that it's an opinion people have, but I'm not sure it's one that he has.

And I feel far safer that no one in America will attack me for being Jewish than I do when travelling in Israel.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

My Imaginary GF posted:

It is an opinion I have. What would have happened to the Beta Israel if Israel did not evacuate them? What would have happened to all the sephardim if Israel did not exist when Arab and North African nations were obtaining independence? I don't see America or Europe as opening up their immigration policies to all Jewish refugees.

But that's not what you said. You didn't say that it exists as a place for Jews with nowhere else to turn, you said it's the only place Jews can feel safe.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

My Imaginary GF posted:

I had a longer post, which can be summed up by stating that I don't understand the difference you see between those.

As a Jew in America, I don't need a safe place to turn to. If I were a Jew in Iraq and no country wanted to let me in, then Israel would be the place I could turn to. And that's a valuable role. But the idea that Jews aren't safe elsewhere or living anywhere else puts them at risk for eventual state-sanctioned oppression is problematic.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Of course snubbing in this case still means sending a senior official.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

I always like how that's the one thing Lebanese and Israelis have one in common.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Maybe, odd that it's from a European source.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

Netanyahu's AIPAC speech was today, and he apparently brought charts. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_s7Vnb35eI

I don't have time to watch it right now but apparently he showed this map about Iran's "tentacles of terror" reaching across "five continents"

God I hope tentacles of terror becomes a thing.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Anyone know the deal with Israel Prize in Literature? I saw Netanyahu fired two of the judges.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkZr21WFEP8

Who is this even targeting...

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

"Right-wing rule is in danger. Arab voters are streaming in huge quantities to the polling stations,” Mr. Netanyahu said in the video. “The left-wing nonprofit organizations are bringing them in buses.”"

So openly racist even the NYT is calling him on it.
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/03/18/world/middleeast/netanyahu-israel-elections-arabs.html?_r=0&referrer=

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

Netanyahu tried to make a live televised statement today but the Central Elections Committee banned him from doing so. He must really be desperate.

http://www.nytimes.com/live/israel-elections-vote-results/netanyahu-expected-to-make-a-statement/

"Salim Joubran, a judge on the Supreme Court of Israel"

Yet another Arab conspiracy.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

I mean, i'm not saying he's wrong, but he lived through Apartheid as a white South African.

quote:

"I’m a South African who lived through apartheid," Dugard said. "I have no hesitation in saying that Israel’s crimes are infinitely worse than those committed by the apartheid regime of South Africa."

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Israel's latest controversy is whether or not it's okay to make Palestinians ride separate buses...

https://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/.premium-1.657289

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

"Ya'alon vows to revive plan to segregate Israelis, Palestinians on West Bank buses
Defense minister insists only security considerations were behind the controversial plan, which was scrapped within hours of launch following widespread criticism."

Would laugh so hard if this issue brings down the ruling coalition. It won't, but one can dream.

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/.premium-1.657384

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Dolash posted:

So Netanyahu is 65. Assuming his government holds together he should have a few more years, but is anyone in position to replace him? Does he have an heir apparent in Likud? I don't know enough about party politics in Israel, so if Netanyahu fades would Likud's fortunes likely fade with him allowing some other right-wing party to fill the void, or is Likud more of an institution on its own?

Basically trying to guess if there's a chance that the true believers and hardliners he's courted and raised up could actually take control at some point. It's the same danger we see in the U.S. where the Republicans fostered the religious right and other forces of social regression only to slowly lose control of their own creation, except this time with much sharper stakes.

I would not be surprised. You can already see it in the current ruling coalition, which is stacked with people even further to the right than Likud. It would also be interesting to analyze whether or not Likud itself has shifted to the right over time.

team overhead smash posted:

But no, sure, the arabs are all violent and will pick up arms, sure.

I actually did some research on this recently. I don't have the exact numbers in front of me, but Jewish Israelis were about 2-3 times more likely to say they supported armed struggle to achieve their aims than Arab Israelis.

Xandu fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 26, 2015

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

I don't agree with it, but I also know plenty of people who are in favor of doing the same thing to those who are pro-Israeli. Targeting young students is a bit hosed up, though.

Edit: that being said, I'd hardly feel upset to end up on a list like that.

Xandu fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 27, 2015

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

This is interesting

quote:

French telecoms giant Orange SA would end its relationship with an Israeli operator that pays to use its name "tomorrow" if it could, but to do so would be a "huge risk" in terms of penalties, its CEO said Wednesday.

Speaking at a news conference in Cairo to lay out plans for the years ahead in Egypt, Stephane Richard said his company intends to withdraw the Orange brand from Israel as soon as possible, but that the move would take time.

http://bigstory.ap.org/urn:publicid:ap.org:55950a03df06491b9254cda1e9e74b9e

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

The amount of tears over this is amazing.

So amazing how the first reaction is it's antisemitism. It was kind of a weird statement to make, though. "Hey Arabs, we'd really stop doing business with Israel if we could, but you know, lawsuits." It is the fist example of a large company adding a bit of support to the BDS movement, though.

• Locked thread