Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SomeDrunkenMick
Apr 21, 2008

Slowly making my way through the thread, good to see other people throwing time and money into a floating black hole.
I've got a question, has anyone here got any experience with Parsun outboard motors? My dad myself and my brothers have bought a lakeside cottage and of course we absolutely need another boat for dicking around on. We're thinking of getting a rib, problem is the budget is tight as the cottage itself needs work and an extension, so we've looked at a 60hp Parsun that would be around €3000 cheaper than an equivalent outboard from the bigger names. Suzuki Yamaha Mercury Hondas are all up around 7 to 8 grand here in comparison. Or do we hold out and try pick up a decent second hand motor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeDrunkenMick
Apr 21, 2008

That's exactly why I'd be wary of a second hand engine.
Parsun are a Chinese make, I don't know much about higher hp but at least in Ireland I've never seen them much. Seems like there more popular in NZ or Auz?

Anyway, if anyone has an idea I'm not going to pull the trigger till the new year.
Just going to edit and say I'm going to check what sort of warranty and spare parts the local dealership offers.

SomeDrunkenMick fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Nov 26, 2020

SomeDrunkenMick
Apr 21, 2008

Yeah suzukis are great, my dad had a 4hp suzuki for nearly 20 years on a small lake boat for fishing and we abused the poo poo out of it, I once broke all 3 shear pins I had with me in one day nosing in around shallows on a part of the lake I didn't know that well. About 8 miles from home, ended up pulling a few copper nails out of a wreck of a boat on the shore. Cut them down to size with a leatherman and they got me home. Well the first one broke but the second one did! Wish I had a photo of the prop on it, it was fairly chewed up, but in 20 years it never missed a beat apart from the occasional shear pin or dirt in the fuel. Traded it in against a 6hp Mercury last year and I'm kinda sorry he did, it was a great little engine.

SomeDrunkenMick
Apr 21, 2008

https://imgur.com/a/3gLWQdw

Can anyone tell me the make and model of this boat? Been offered it for very cheap but I want to find out a few things about what it should look like and the construction and stuff before I go look at it.

SomeDrunkenMick
Apr 21, 2008

It's a heap of shite, I know. I'm looking for a project boat for the winter. I take it this is probably too far gone by the photos?

SomeDrunkenMick
Apr 21, 2008

After literally years of dithering and delays related to unemployment and having a baby I finally pulled the trigger on a new to me boat. It's a 2016 jeanneau cap camarat 4.7 with a 2019 60hp Mariner engine. It's not gonna break any speed records but as I've never had a boat capable of doing more than 6 or 7 knots it'll be fast to me, any recommendations on a YouTube video or something that can teach me a little about how to get the most out of it, trim it properly etc? I'll probably do a weekend powerboat course or something this spring.

I was also wondering do you have any recommendations for a cheap handheld vhf radio I can throw in the console when I'm out in it? The lake I'm on isn't big enough that I'm ever out of phone coverage but it can't hurt to have a backup. I'm also probably gonna wire in a spotlight at some stage as well as I'll probably use it to fish off at dusk and might be coming back after dark, I've been browsing Ali baba looking at radios and spotlights there's all sorts of crap you can get, is putting underwater led lights on it terribly gauche?

SomeDrunkenMick
Apr 21, 2008

That's interesting thanks, I don't see myself using for navigation really. I more want to mount it on the side of the center console within arms reach on a ball mount and have a handle on the back to aim it. It's more for getting out of a bay with rocks that I have to poke around and for the last 50m into the mooring. I suppose I could install a 12v socket and carry a handheld but it would be easier if I'm on my own to have it mounted.

SomeDrunkenMick
Apr 21, 2008

Thanks, I just ordered a uniden radio. Its cheap but will do all I need it for.
Think I might just go ahead and order a cheap led pod and a rail clamp and stick it on there. If it's blinding me I can just take it off and I'm not out too much. The boat came with a garmin echomap unit and the charts for my area which is great but to be honest I know the lake I'm on pretty well and I can already tell that it's not perfect, especially in some of the less well travelled parts of the lake. A light and a good lookout is best for those situations. There's a local group who have done an incredibly detailed survey and publish their charts every year but I don't think they can be used on the garmin, unless garmin units can be jailbroken or something?

I'm in Ireland and spend a lot of time in France and Spain for work and they're really common there. That's where I saw them and thought they'd be ideal as a family runabout/ferry to the pub or lunch spots boat for myself.

SomeDrunkenMick
Apr 21, 2008

Finally got to get out on the water to try out the new boat today, it was cold but clear and pretty calm so a nice day to get used to it. Started first time, ran a little smoky at first but that cleared after a minute when it warmed up. After a couple of tentative starts I got it up on a plane and messed around with the trim and different thrust settings and got a bit of a feel for it. Bit unnerved by the speed at first as I'm used to tootling around at 5 kts but I'll get used to it, it'll help that I can get to a great steak and porter place in 15 or so mins from the families fishing cottage now. Forgot to bring the GPS depth finder unit like a dope so I'll test that out the next time, overall I'm really happy everything works except the trim gauge which is a bit all over the place but I expect you'll eventually learn to trim it by feel rpms etc so I'm not too worried.

One question that's occurred to me is how does the speedo work on a boat this size? And does it bear much resemblance to reality?

SomeDrunkenMick
Apr 21, 2008

Elmnt80 posted:

Hunh. Thats a neat boat, gives me some hobie power skiff vibes.

Thanks I'm pretty happy with it, it's not a rocket ship but there's a decent freeboard on it and I reckon I can bring non boating people and my toddler on it and they'll feel comfortable.

Think I'm gonna order a donut before the summer, there's no ski pole on it but I was thinking if I ran a line between the aft cleats either side with a shackle or a carabiner on it so that it sits behind the engine I could pull something behind it?

SomeDrunkenMick
Apr 21, 2008

Hadlock posted:

Ask the locals where all the sunken logs are in your area that people catch their props on, so you can skip learning that lesson the hard way

I have a 3" GPS speedo on my 51mph go kart that's probably designed with this use case in mind but I'm not a power boat guy

Thanks, I have a garmin gps that gives a speed readout so I can use that to crosscheck.

Years of clipping the prop and breaking a number of shear pins in my dads old fishing boat with a 5 horse suzuki means I have a healthy sense of paranoia about where those logs are. One day when I was 16 I broke 2 in the space of an hour. There was only one spare so I ended up adrift but spotted an old wreck on the shore, rowed in and pulled a copper nail out of it with a leatherman and cut it down to size. It got me home but for years after till he upgraded to an engine with a slip clutch we carried 5 or 6 spare shear pins taped to the inside of the engine cover.

Cat Hatter posted:

Don't use the cleats for towing if you can avoid it. There should be a U-bolt through the hull on either side of the motor that are more structural* that you can use. They make special Y shaped ropes that you can attach a tube or ski rope to for people such as yourself. I don't know what they're called because I've never had to use one but I know they exist.

Pulling stuff behind a boat involves more force than you'd think. I had a cheap carabiner I used once to pull a wakeboarder behind a little pontoon boat and it bent into a perfect right angle, and tubes are even worse because they have more drag (make sure you buy the right rope and at least a carabiner with a weight rating). Cleats on your boat might be up to the task.

*Usually. Check if your owner's manual says anything about pulling stuff before listening to some idiot on The Internet.

There is actually u bolts in the transom, thanks for that I had no idea what they were for. The manual is on the boat so next time I'm on it I'll see what it says about pulling a tube with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeDrunkenMick
Apr 21, 2008

n0tqu1tesane posted:

My grandfather always had one of these on his boat for returning after dark after fishing in the bay all day. Just used it to locate landmarks and channel markers while coming back.

I've got a cheap LED battery powered handheld spotlight that I use, but before that I just had a super bright LED flashlight that ran off a couple AAs that provided plenty of light to see the landmarks around where we boat.

I actually have one of those type of lights somewhere but there's no 12v cig lighter or anything on it. Maybe it's just simpler to keep the radio a decent torch and a few other things in a waterproof box or drybag and throw it in the boat when I take it out rather than messing with the wiring.

A guy I know offered me a tube he doesn't use anymore for nothing so when I get back to the boat I'll have a proper look at those u bolts and if they look beefy enough I'll order a bridle and give tubing a go.