Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe
Looking for some ideas here before I dive into buying a bunch of different products and screw something up.

I was just given a 1970's era 14' Anchor Sailboat Pintail by a friend who had it moldering on his property for years. It was in pretty rough shape, covered in lichen and crap, but since there is no exposed wood anywhere I can see, I figured that it would be a relatively low-risk project. Ha ha.

I know that these older fiberglass hulls cannot be left in the water for any significant length of time without osmotic blistering. Without getting into a lot of specifics, I will have to keep the boat in the water all summer; pulling it out between uses is impractical. I will also be gone for weeks at a time between uses. My plan is to coat the hull with a barrier coat to prevent blistering.

What should I use for a bottom paint? The freshwater lake has no real fouling issues outside of a thin algae buildup which I don't care about. Should I just leave the barrier coat bare, or should I put something like an Intralux VC Performance Epoxy on top of the barrier coat?

This boat has a centerboard. The centerboard trunk is about 1" wide - do I need to try and get in there with the barrier coat as well, or just leave it alone? I have strong doubts on my ability to prep it properly.

Is there any benefit from a maintenance standpoint to painting over old gelcoat in terms of keeping the boat looking decent ? Or should I just buff it and throw some wax on above the waterline?

I'm basically trying to make sure that this thing doesn't slowly sink or degrade (significantly, further) by being left in the lake for months, while giving the kids a chance to learn how to sail.

Any advice is welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

Hadlock posted:

Osmotic blisters are kind of a thing of the past. The vinlyester resin that historically has these issues is no longer used, if you had a bad batch the problem would have presented itself in the 1990s and either resolved by a previous owner, or thrown away by now

I would just wax the bottom, and if (big if) you get blisters just power sand the bottom, add epoxy filler, fair and then recoat with two part exterior epoxy paint at that point. Doing a bunch of preventative work seems excessive unless you've got obvious problems already

Neglected to mention that the friend had it stored upside down on the edge of his lake and the rear decking was in wet mud quite a bit. There are osmotic blisters all over that section of decking. So unless they used different resin for the decking vs. the hull there is a pretty big chance that this hull has those bad vinlyester resins. The two sections (hull and upper decking) are different colors...

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

Cat Hatter posted:

If it makes Ambassadorofsodomy feel better, trailers are almost universally wired like poo poo from the factory and if anything the mice improved things.

If you want to save a ton of heartache in the future Ambassadorofsodomy, buy spools of tinned wire in the appropriate colors (along with sealed LED lights if your trailer doesn't have them already), solder your connections, and heat shrink them. You can also do heat shrink crimps but the cost is higher.

There are a bunch of sellers on eBay who carry tinned wire that isnt name brand stuff in the appropriate gauges. I spent maybe 90 on enough for two trailers.

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

Jesus christ, whoever said that trailers are wired really lovely wasn't fuckin kidding. I've seen some hack jobs but holy gently caress.

Was this a used trailer? Or is this the factory wiring job?

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

Boat and trailer were left over '22 models purchased in January, picked up in May. So factory wiring. Trailer has maybe a couple hundred miles on it at most.

This is horrifying. Wow....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

Elmnt80 posted:

Nope, they are actually for lifting the boat when you don't have a sling! We use them with our forklifts at work to lift boats off the lowboy trailers they get transported to us on. Watching a pair of 25t forklifts lift a 37' center console is wild, even if we are getting a proper marina bull.

They also are handy for securing the boat to a trailer though.

:stare: I'm not questioning that this is what you do at work but if I were a boat owner and saw that being done I'd be taking my business elsewhere after demanding an independent surveyor check for transom damage. They are advertised for use as tie-downs, not lift points, although apparently variations exist and some manufacturers sign off on them for that use. This thread has a bunch of info on the topic.