Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
i'm sure people will disagree but i really enjoyed this game, it's probably one of my all time favorites. i really cant believe it's ten years old.

i really enjoyed the atmosphere of the game, and that it was really different from hl1, yet still clearly a half-life game. the levels and enemies were great and the guns were really satisfying. i had some epic firefights. also the physics puzzles were pretty ahead of their time. its also the rare game that got better as it went on, usually in my experience games tend to front load all the best stuff but after ravenholm the game just became an increasingly awesome adventure across the highway, through the prison and back into the city. fighting striders through destroyed buildings was amazing. and then climbing the tower with the super gravity gun was boss.

it was also the first big release on steam.

were you one of the people who early adopted steam? did you play that leak they delayed the game at the last minute for? is hl3 confirmed? please share.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
HL3 confirmed, OP. Gordon Freeman travels through a dimensional portal and must help parallel Kleiner prevent the Dire team from destroying the Radiant ancient.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
half life 2 is pretty good, and it created the source engine and steam which are super good

but it's also responsible for ruining single player FPS as a genre, it started the trend of fps games being full of boring cutscenes you can't skip and lots of gimmicky parts where you don't shoot mans with guns but instead make a see saw or drive a boat for way too long which was novel back in 2004 because it wasn't forced into every single FPS on earth

looking strictly at gameplay fear, unreal 2k4 and painkiller are all way better and they came out the same year

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Nov 20, 2014

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i had a steam account with counter-strike: condition zero, but unfortunately i had extremely spotty rural dial-up so i never did more than patch it when my parents weren't home. rip riot shields.

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
hl2 was great and i still like it a lot. i hope valve makes hl3 someday and gaben doesn't just spend the rest of his days scrooge mcducking in piles of dota hat $$$$

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

tranime scholar posted:

hl2 was great and i still like it a lot. i hope valve makes hl3 someday and gaben doesn't just spend the rest of his days scrooge mcducking in piles of dota hat $$$$

same

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

darealkooky posted:

looking strictly at gameplay fear, unreal 2k4 and painkiller are all way better and they came out the same year

i thought fear came out a year later

but yeah its gunplay is super tight

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
anyway HL2 got me into FPSes, it probably has my favorite art style of any shooter, and nova prospekt is probably in the 1% best-designed of FPS levels

it's a shame that there's been no movement whatsoever for a sequel to Ep2, but i'll live

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

StandardVC10 posted:

i thought fear came out a year later

but yeah its gunplay is super tight

you're right it did, whoops

still though, painkiller and unreal 2k4

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
only ten? this is the first time one of these threads hasn't made me feel old

i liked nailing dudes to things with the rebar gun

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

darealkooky posted:

half life 2 is pretty good, and it created the source engine and steam which are super good

but it's also responsible for ruining single player FPS as a genre, it started the trend of fps games being full of boring cutscenes you can't skip and lots of gimmicky parts where you don't shoot mans with guns but instead make a see saw or drive a boat for way too long which was novel back in 2004 because it wasn't forced into every single FPS on earth

I love HL2 but it did sort of revolutionize gaming in some ironically bad ways

darealkooky posted:

haha what the gently caress are you talking about, F.E.A.R. is loving terrible

Nalk
Jul 13, 2009

I heard about you!
This game is awesome op don't apologize just because it has become edgy to poo poo on HL2.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

Nalk posted:

This game is awesome op don't apologize just because it has become edgy to poo poo on HL2.

thank you.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Nalk posted:

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Mach2 posted:

I love HL2 but it did sort of revolutionize gaming in some ironically bad ways

haha what the gently caress are you talking about, F.E.A.R. is loving terrible

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

My first time playing HL2 was an insanely epic experience. I still like it on repeated playthroughs but it's just not the same.

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
it's not hl2's fault if other games tried to imitate it and failed miserably

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

I don't think FEAR is a bad game but it has poor enemy variety, some boring parts in the campaign, and bad scares. The sound design and AI were really cool though.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

tranime scholar posted:

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
it raised the bar

other companies doing stupid poo poo in its wake isn't its fault really

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

tranime scholar posted:

agree

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
i played a bit of original half-life but didn't really care for it, steam and half-life 2 became a thing that my friends were raving about but it didn't sway me, but then i saw the original Portal trailer and was like yea okay maybe i'll give their other games a go

it's good poo poo half-life 2 + etc are good game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujYcnO0sIks

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Silver Striker posted:

I don't think FEAR is a bad game but it has poor enemy variety, some boring parts in the campaign, and bad scares. The sound design and AI were really cool though.

yeah these things are bad but the fundamental act of shooting people was very satisfying in fear whereas i dind't find it very satisfying in hl2

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Half-Life Opposing Force is great and I think it is the best Half-Life game ever. :)

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Neurosis posted:

yeah these things are bad but the fundamental act of shooting people was very satisfying in fear whereas i dind't find it very satisfying in hl2

Thats because the pistol and machine gun in Half Life 2 are real bad. The shotgun, magnum, and crossbow were fun and satisfying though. The other machine gun with that shot the orbs was cool but rarely had enough ammo.

Portal 2 came out in 2011, where is Portal 3? Where is Half-Life 3? Where is Left4Dead 3? Where is Team Fortress 3? Where is DOTA3?????

Proposition Joe fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Nov 20, 2014

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
It's a good game!

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
killing people in deathmatch by throwing a toilet or book shelf or whatever at them was really good.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The airboat segment would've been better if it was longer with fewer interruptions. Leaving the boat and shooting through buildings to open gates really messed with the flow.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

9/11 was 40 years ago.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
"Hi Gordon, let me talk at you for 3 minutes in this section which is totally not just an unskippable cutscene"

psyman
Nov 1, 2008

Unguided posted:

The airboat segment would've been better if it was longer with fewer interruptions. Leaving the boat and shooting through buildings to open gates really messed with the flow.

Yeah I wanted longer stretches to just drive fast and drift around, but I still enjoyed the vehicle sections for the atmosphere and journey feel, though I seem to be in a minority. It's no fun to drive a vehicle with WASD and mouse, so of course most people didn't enjoy those chapters because they were making it crap for themselves.

The airboat and buggy feel so much better with a controller on PC, but not the 360/PS3 versions though. In the ports, Valve mapped accel/reverse and steering all to the left stick, which is a really unsatisfying way to control vehicles. On PC you can move accel/reverse to the triggers like a racing game (or both on one side like Battlefield) and keep the stick for steering.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Great Joe posted:

Half-Life Opposing Force is great and I think it is the best Half-Life game ever. :)

same

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

i liked hl2 well enough but i was tired of it by the end because of 1) its constant reliance on triggered waves of enemies and 2) the gimmicky bits that just went on too long for my liking

ravenholm or w/e it was called was fun playing through with thriller on repeat, tho, at least during the first part when you're only up against regular zombies and you're shooting paint buckets at them or goading them into walking head-first (ho ho tee hee) into decapitation traps etc.

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008
Let's face it FPS where you just run around and shoot and kill are best left for multiplayer because otherwise it's boring and you need a vehicle or something to change things up a bit.

All ya purists are just deniers. dwi!

edit: also happy birthday HL2!

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

give me thread posted:

Let's face it FPS where you just run around and shoot and kill are best left for multiplayer because otherwise it's boring and you need a vehicle or something to change things up a bit.

All ya purists are just deniers. dwi!

edit: also happy birthday HL2!

i know this is a weak troll but you should probably gently caress yourself anyway

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Happy birthday to a beloved game.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

It was funny because in 2004 there were two warring camps that formed around Half-Life 2 and Doom 3, and Valve wound up not only making a better game but a scarier one too lol.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

The other big argument that year was World of Warcraft v. Everquest 2. I could go on about 2004.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
HL2 deathmatch in that one prison level was fast insane fun. Dunno if it's onsetting dementia but did weapons deal more damage in deathmatch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

The Real Foogla posted:

HL2 deathmatch in that one prison level was fast insane fun. Dunno if it's onsetting dementia but did weapons deal more damage in deathmatch?

it definitely felt like they did.

i remember catching the orb from the combine orb gun with the gravity gun and throwing it back at people. HL2 deathmatch was awesome, the prison level and the one with the wrecked building were sick

• Locked thread