Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Great Joe posted:

Half-Life Opposing Force is great and I think it is the best Half-Life game ever. :)

The teleporter gun is pretty loving great.

And also pretty funny in hindsight given the whole Portal backstory.

FEAR is also good because you get to bicycle kick people in the face in slowmo.

Which is why I think HL2 SMOD is the best game known to man because it combines that with HL2.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Nov 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008

Neurosis posted:

i know this is a weak troll but you should probably gently caress yourself anyway
Your mum's a weak troll

Thanks for reading

BoredDG
Aug 10, 2013

Remember when it was released on the Xbox?

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

The Real Foogla posted:

HL2 deathmatch in that one prison level was fast insane fun. Dunno if it's onsetting dementia but did weapons deal more damage in deathmatch?

It's not that they did more damage necessarily, it's just that in the sp game you're never getting shot at with magnums, rebar bolts, or rockets..etc.

I'm pretty sure the pistol, mp7 and ar2 acted just the same.

Still the pistol owned bones until they fixed the clip-burst glitch.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
"About that beer I owed ya." - Some rear end in a top hat who never gave me my beer.

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
HL2 is the single most best game ever made in the history of man time. its a shame valve will probably never make a single player ever again, though i am hopeful that gabe's 5 year project or w/e it is is something cool again,,, like half-life 2.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

My only complaint with HL2 is a lot of the guns are boring. I enjoyed them better in 1, and OpForce.

I am also holding out for Adrian Shepard to come back, and it will be epic.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
mods for hl1 are better

they never even finished black mesa though

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

My only complaint with HL2 is a lot of the guns are boring. I enjoyed them better in 1, and OpForce.
well hl2 had the gravity gun which kind of made up for all the other guns being generic (though the combine machine gun was cool)

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

The pistol and the shotgun are good. The submachine gun is weak.

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

i loved half life 2

loved

ed

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Sir John Feelgood posted:

The pistol and the shotgun are good. The submachine gun is weak.

the smg grenade launcher is sick though

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
only the shotgun had enough ammo for you to go nuts with, you burnt through magnums and pulse rounds too quickly

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
whenever i play half life 2 i still freak out at the headcrabs. i have a phobia of slugs and little creepy crawly enemies in games make me panic.

headcrabs, face huggers, duke nukem green worm things.

but the enemy with spider headcrabs on his back and he chucks them at you god loving drat i always feel this close to making GBS threads myself.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Relin posted:

mods for hl1 are better

they never even finished black mesa though
Xen? Good.

Favorite part of the game are all the bugs with Source. Loading transition while hugging walls? Expect to load while being stuck in them. Starting up the earth-fuckers to scare the Antlions for a few yards and dying, because the fuckers are constantly taking swipes at you while backing off. Dropping boxes using the grav gun has killed me a few times.

Buggy NPCs that forces a restart.

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

VideoGames posted:

but the enemy with spider headcrabs on his back and he chucks them at you god loving drat i always feel this close to making GBS threads myself.

whats great about that enemy is the noises were something really dumb like sneezing or squishing food i dont remember exactly. but the playtesters would always be freaking out while the valve team was looking on, trying not to laugh. i think they mention this either in the dev commentary where you go throigh that elevator thing and therres one of those zombies through a door. or maybe it was in half life raising the bar, which is a hella neat book [w/ concept art and tons of cool half life universe infoz]

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
hl2 is still good after all these years. well that's all

muddream
Oct 13, 2014

have never been more impressed by a game on my first playthrough, happy b-day dear game

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
hl2 owned and it made me care about the story in a fps of all things

shout out to The Orange Box for being some major value and introducing me to hl2 + portal when i bought it just for tf2

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

obstipator posted:

or maybe it was in half life raising the bar, which is a hella neat book [w/ concept art and tons of cool half life universe infoz]

Ugh I had this book and then I moved and it's hidden away in a box somewhere and I've never been able to find it

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

StandardVC10 posted:

Ugh I had this book and then I moved and it's hidden away in a box somewhere and I've never been able to find it

thats effed up. i wish they still sold copies of this book.

this thread motivated me to skim through that book. i didnt find anything about playtesters and zombies in my quick one over but did see this

if you think about it, the portal 2 behind the scenes sections use that kinda sphere with triangles shape. if not for this hl2 concept art, those areas would probably look different! :wth:

that is really cool imo, to me.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

obstipator posted:

i didnt find anything about playtesters and zombies in my quick one over but did see this

I believe the bit you're thinking of with the poison zombies was a commentary node in episode 2.

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

StandardVC10 posted:

I believe the bit you're thinking of with the poison zombies was a commentary node in episode 2.

yea thats probs what it was from. the commentary nodes were cool and neat. valve owns

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV-AWxqYAgc

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

h*ly poo poo :wth::aaa::aaaaa::eyepop::wth:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Half Life 2 was epic, Episode 1 was epic, Episode 2... my god. That was incredibly epic and completely win

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

i bought hl2 in 2009 as an orange box i think, when i finally had beefier pc and steam account, loved it and burned through the main game and episodes in a week or so. i was really surprised back then how fresh-yet-classic it felt

played some mods and forgot about it, up until there was the "call for communication" thing and replayed it once again, this time w/o episodes because as everyone here already said, the main gun is the smg and shooting it is as satisfying as throwing pebbles at enemies, shotgun was okay, magnum was sick but had low ammo and needed to conserve it for toxic zombies and such. also really hated the rocket launcher segment before entering nova prospect, those gunships can go eat a dick

but it's also the very last first person shooter with really, really lengthy campaign. the only other ones which came to my mind are the original hl and unreal. i remember it took me like 12 hours or so finishing it for the first time and i don't really like to gently caress around too much in games.

nowadays i don't want to play it again tbh

oh and remembered a talk i had with my friend when orange box was released and telling him that i'll wait until valve releases the whole deal and then buy it as complete edition pack or such, welp

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
i got the orange box and tf2 fairly late into its lifespan and now its a clusterfuck and im in choice paralysis and dont know what a fraction of the weapons do

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

obstipator posted:

thats effed up. i wish they still sold copies of this book.

this thread motivated me to skim through that book. i didnt find anything about playtesters and zombies in my quick one over but did see this

if you think about it, the portal 2 behind the scenes sections use that kinda sphere with triangles shape. if not for this hl2 concept art, those areas would probably look different! :wth:

that is really cool imo, to me.

geodesic domes are the future.

Dec 26, 2012

laserghost posted:

but it's also the very last first person shooter with really, really lengthy campaign. the only other ones which came to my mind are the original hl and unreal. i remember it took me like 12 hours or so finishing it for the first time and i don't really like to gently caress around too much in games.

stalker

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9Yd4Fyq1qo

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Half Life 2 Episode 2 was almost as good as Half-Life Opposing Force. :)

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

Lemming posted:

Half Life 2 was epic, Episode 1 was epic, Episode 2... my god. That was incredibly epic and completely win

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
the amount of hours of win gaming valve have provided to me over the years have been plentiful and good.

Sir AIDS
Nov 5, 2013

Mach2 posted:

I love HL2 but it did sort of revolutionize gaming in some ironically bad ways

haha what the gently caress are you talking about, F.E.A.R. is loving terrible

*sees list with Half Life 2, FEAR, UT2k4, and f*cking Painkiller*

UH.h...hhh.. FEAR is the worst game on that list lOl...

Half Life 2 tards, everyone

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i will, to this day boot up HL2/episode 2 and just play through it for the gently caress of it.

all the "cutscenes" get a little annoying since im p much lip syncing with it at this point but they're still really well done and hey the designers always give you poo poo to do and look at while they're playing

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

Sir AIDS posted:

*sees list with Half Life 2, FEAR, UT2k4, and f*cking Painkiller*

UH.h...hhh.. FEAR is the worst game on that list lOl...

Half Life 2 tards, everyone

I've never played ut2k4 and Painkiller and Half-Life 2 are loving awesome so...

Your opinions are usually extremely bad so I'll continue assuming I made the correct decision here.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

hey that's a good point, still haven't played it but maybe this xmas

Dec 26, 2012

laserghost posted:

hey that's a good point, still haven't played it but maybe this xmas

do it. no excuses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir AIDS
Nov 5, 2013

Mach2 posted:

I've never played ut2k4 and Painkiller and Half-Life 2 are loving awesome so...

Your opinions are usually extremely bad so I'll continue assuming I made the correct decision here.

You have brain damage

• Locked thread