Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
One of my favorite parts of HL2 was the roadside houses of Highway 17. I remember checking one of them out and being creeped out by the total quiet, felt really ominous. I went upstairs and looked in every room (or so I thought), and after looking in the last one I finally relaxed only to turn around and A loving BLACK HEADCRAB ZOMBIE RIGHT BEHIND ME HOLY gently caress. He was hiding around a corner in one of the rooms I thought was safe.

Easily my scariest video game moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Great Joe posted:

Half-Life Opposing Force is great and I think it is the best Half-Life game ever. :)

They'll never make another game like Opposing Force to go with a popular shooter ever again.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I replayed HL2 and the episodes about a year ago and was blown away by how much it lived up to my memories. Storming the beach and into the prison Normandy style with an antlion army is insanely legit. Ravenholm is sick, so was the whole uprising part of the game. The only thing that doesn't really work is the endless hoverboat sequence near the beginning.

And Ep 2? Completely win all the way through.

e: Also FEAR 1 was a really good game with the best shotgun ever (yes better than Doom 2's own super shotgun imho)

Fuligin fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Nov 28, 2014

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

They'll never make another game like Opposing Force to go with a popular shooter ever again.
Good.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

Bad.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Proposition Joe posted:

Portal 2 came out in 2011, where is Portal 3? Where is Half-Life 3? Where is Left4Dead 3? Where is Team Fortress 3? Where is DOTA3?????
Well you see Valve is an open allocation company, and that means it's a great place to work AND nothing ever gets done.

I mean come on, they just released Big Picture Mode only, what, 2 years ago? Give them some time to decompress.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

darealkooky posted:

half life 2 is pretty good, and it created the source engine and steam which are super good

but it's also responsible for ruining single player FPS as a genre, it started the trend of fps games being full of boring cutscenes you can't skip and lots of gimmicky parts where you don't shoot mans with guns but instead make a see saw or drive a boat for way too long which was novel back in 2004 because it wasn't forced into every single FPS on earth

looking strictly at gameplay fear, unreal 2k4 and painkiller are all way better and they came out the same year

It's really hard to pin the failure of the genre on a single game from that period. Halo and COD4 are also responsible.

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Human Grand Prix posted:

It's really hard to pin the failure of the genre on a single game from that period. Halo and COD4 are also responsible.

half life 2 is actually the only game responsible because valve made it so good and leagues above any other game that could be created, which rose the bar so high no other company could even compete with it

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I'd place the blame more on Counter Strike than Half-Life 2 for ruining FPS games. Sure, nowadays it's all surf maps and bunnyhopping but to most people who played it close to release, it was the COD of its day.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I blame halo with its gay rear end floaty slow physics and its arsenal of 2 loving weapons for being the biggest ruiner. you may say half life 2's weapon selection is bad (and youre wrong) but at least there was always something different to choose from.

where the heck are my massive pockets game developers?!

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

It takes quite a bit of effort to look at the nice radial menu every Ratchet & Clank had and think console gamers can't handle more than 2 weapons ever.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
The sound design on the handgun was super cool when HL2 was released, too bad you never shoot anything that reacts like bullets are hitting it.

Fargield
Sep 27, 2008

the movement in that game looks really lovely

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

VideoGames posted:

I blame halo with its gay rear end floaty slow physics and its arsenal of 2 loving weapons for being the biggest ruiner. you may say half life 2's weapon selection is bad (and youre wrong) but at least there was always something different to choose from.

where the heck are my massive pockets game developers?!

Yeah the run speed in Halo is slow as balls and I didn't like what they did with the jump in 2; it's awful.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Fargield posted:

the movement in that game looks really lovely
here, try this timestamp

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

I entered into this world on the day that Half Life 2 passed through our solar system and I will leave it on the day of Half Life 2's return.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Remember Kick Boat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_EKaFvM1NM&t=703s

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

literally watched the entire thing just to see what parts they were able to completely bypass by glitching the physics

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Wolfsheim posted:

literally watched the entire thing just to see what parts they were able to completely bypass by glitching the physics

it's a very good speedrun. the highway bits are especially loving crazy.

thread related: i loving love hl2 and i want hl3/episode 3 very badly but gently caress gaben

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
I am pretty impressed how good HL2 still looks in these videos.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

ultimateforce posted:

A lot of thought went into it, but once you think about it, a lot of the environments in HL2 lend themselves to having low polygon counts.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's one of the few games to realize that maybe if they make the art style favor lovely blocky terrain, they can have lovely block maps and still look good.

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Larry Parrish posted:

It's one of the few games to realize that maybe if they make the art style favor lovely blocky terrain, they can have lovely block maps and still look good.

durr, environments with buildings are lovely and blocky
hl2 utilizes blocks in order to optimize their maps, but they aren't noticeably blokcy because they put all that detail into it to make it look hella sweet. and they jam pack a lot of stuff into a small space and let you see where you're going and then see where you've been. valve owns at making maps

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Grim posted:

i played a bit of original half-life but didn't really care for it, steam and half-life 2 became a thing that my friends were raving about but it didn't sway me, but then i saw the original Portal trailer and was like yea okay maybe i'll give their other games a go

it's good poo poo half-life 2 + etc are good game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujYcnO0sIks

I think its really cool of them to make the game as long as that trailer.

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Borsche69 posted:

I think its really cool of them to make the game as long as that trailer.

originally they were going to end the game at the fire spot. but they had enough time to make more, so they added the behind the scenes part. the behind the scenes part was an afterthought. oh my loving god that is crazy

portal kinda owns, valve owns

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
If you've ever mapped for the source engine, you'll realize that it really does lend itself to making sorta blocky environments, so good mapping either comes from working around that to make an environment that isn't blocky despite your limitations, like the canals or Ravenholm, or a blocky environment that looks great and works well despite that, like Nova Prospekt. In summary,

obstipator posted:

valve owns at making maps

also I liked half life 1 more than 2, but mostly because I feel it had more memorable areas

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i wish someone would make a portal/hl2 combo mod that was actually good. it seems like it would be really hard to make a map that was well-designed for both soldiers and platform puzzling though. mostly i just want to portal grenades into groups of combine and fly around the map at light speed with the shotgun.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

ultimateforce posted:

It did get a very welcome graphical upgrade, so the character models no longer look horrible.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Bobnumerotres posted:

it's a very good speedrun. the highway bits are especially loving crazy.

thread related: i loving love hl2 and i want hl3/episode 3 very badly but gently caress gaben

yeah, that and ravenholm being almost entirely bypassed were kind of amazing. i also quite enjoyed it when, because he couldn't cheat past the nova prospekt turret defense bits, he just jumped up to an inaccessible floor and spent the whole time shooting a dick into the wall, then slowly turning that dick into a cartoon gordon freeman :allears:

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Wolfsheim posted:

yeah, that and ravenholm being almost entirely bypassed were kind of amazing. i also quite enjoyed it when, because he couldn't cheat past the nova prospekt turret defense bits, he just jumped up to an inaccessible floor and spent the whole time shooting a dick into the wall, then slowly turning that dick into a cartoon gordon freeman :allears:

it's cool when TASers have time to gently caress around
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2LrhpQWdQw
(17 mins in for the fuckery)

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Wolfsheim posted:

That was the first time I played the game. I took a bunch of objects and walled myself in a room with windows. It was crazy with all the explosions and I had a great view of all these troops trying to shoot and tossing grenades at me.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
HL2 sucks rear end. I'd replay Xen a hundred times before replaying the best part of HL2.

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

DNS posted:

HL2 sucks rear end. I'd replay Xen a hundred times before replaying the best part of HL2.

Fly away, troll. :fut:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Scalding Coffee posted:

It did get a very welcome graphical upgrade, so the character models no longer look horrible.

hl2's problem isn't its character models. even today they look and behave pretty realistically because they used such a smart art style for them

texture resolution is poo poo though, everything looks blurry/pixelated. there are high-res texture packs but then that just makes everything look wrinkly

where is episode 3 gaben

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I've been playing it again and holy poo poo the squad sections are infuriating. these assholes don't do anything but get in the way, especially when i'm trying to strafe in and out of doorways to snipe some combine or something. sending them to where you're pointing doesn't always work.

I also don't remember the scenes with alyx being so pandering

it's still all a lot of fun

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
anyone play synergy? that was cool, especially breaking character scripts and getting levels stuck. taking over the electromagnet crane first on route 17 and just being an rear end in a top hat smacking players with shipping containers and throwing their vehicles into the sea

Lamebot fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Dec 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dec 26, 2012

mr sad posted:

I also don't remember the scenes with alyx being so pandering

tbh most of the game is pretty pandering. i didn't notice or remember it until watching that speedrun and being forced to pay attention by virtue of not being the one loving around while whoever yammers on

• Locked thread