Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

hubris.height posted:

oh wow

i'm level 27 on first floor of 3rd dungeon, but i think i might be over leveled too because i've been exploring every drat tile and doing every quest and also maybe a little grinding, but not much

it feels like strange journey to me still lol eo4 was way easier on normal

E: this game is way better on hard imho (p q is)

yeah i've also done 100% every floor and all the requests. never intentionally grinding though (well like once, when i knew i was already very close to the level of a fusion that i wanted). after i have enough of whatever enemy material, i use Escape as much as it feels safe to get away with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

also, i was at lv27 when i started the third labyrinth as well. the rest of that came from exploring it and an FOE there and i guess probably requests

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

lesbian baphomet posted:

also, i was at lv27 when i started the third labyrinth as well. the rest of that came from exploring it and an FOE there and i guess probably requests

hm

exp seems to level off really fast to the point where grinding doesn't work

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

I'm gonna load my file before the boss to see what happens when you break vows on purpose. it's probably something bad.....

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
counter attack multi hit probably

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

who are you guys using as your party, by the way?

I've got kanji/chie front row and aigis/P3/Yukari back row, and fortunately thats turned out to be a really balanced and good party composition for their default skills. aigis is awesome for support and is basically a backrow-style EO4 fortress, and has good damage on top of it

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Silver Striker posted:

I've been playing on Normal and I'm at the end of the 3rd level of the first dungeon (I've been busy with my new job just starting up). It feels rougher than EO4, at least right now. Those big beetles in the first dungeon can hit really hard, go twice, and have a lot of HP. I can still take them down, but I don't remember early game stuff in EO games hitting me this hard. That seems to have been an isolated spike, though, as now that I'm able to deal with them it's been getting a lot smoother.

grats on a new job! haven't gone back to fight that assholr beetle yet I should

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

I'm using

P4MC/Chie/Yusuke
Naoto/Yukiko

I'm definitely going to swap things around soon, though. As I start to unlock more fusion options (since I'm not extremely low level anymore), I definitely want to bring in Kanji. I'm thinking about using the new characters, too. My friend says they're extremely good. Don't know who to drop from my back row, though. I don't have the Persona 3 characters or I would be using some of them as well.

I really like the battle themes.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

hubris.height posted:

grats on a new job! haven't gone back to fight that assholr beetle yet I should

Thank you. Those beetles deserve death, much like the normies who won't purchase this excellent game.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Kanji definitely has one of the best default builds in the game. an HP-casted elemental skill and automatically gets Matarukaja after 25ish, and probably the most min-maxed base stats of anybody since his strength is so high

the faster frontrow characters like aki/yosuke/koru have mostly been underwhelming to me. even with decent abilities or stats, they get knocked out of boost constantly since they move before the enemy does. P3MC is kinda meant to be a fast frontrow as well, but his magic score is so high that he works even better as a backrow mage

lesbian baphomet fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Dec 9, 2014

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
Is this worth getting if my only exposure to persona is the gb endurance run

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

lesbian baphomet posted:

Kanji definitely has one of the best default builds in the game. an HP-casted elemental skill and automatically gets Matarukaja after 25ish, and probably the most min-maxed base stats of anybody since his strength is so high

the faster frontrow characters like aki/yosuke/koru have mostly been underwhelming to me. even with decent abilities or stats, they get knocked out of boost constantly since they move before the enemy does. P3MC is kinda meant to be a fast frontrow as well, but his magic score is so high that he works even better as a backrow mage

That's good to know. I was initially basing my party around a combination of who my favorite characters were, but I wanted to have good elemental coverage so I thought Kanji might be a "wasted slot" since he would be Zio as well as my MC. It's pretty clear that fusion and sub personas (I haven't unlocked any of the other features yet, but I did find a skill card) are powerful enough that a character's base element doesn't matter as much as their overall skill set and with proper fusion I shouldn't have any problem getting him the right elemental moves. I was noticing that about Yosuke as well.

I also want to use Kanji because he is extremely freakin' epic and probably my favorite character in 4.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Humphrey Vasel posted:

You should probably try playing the Persona games first. 3 and 4 are the most popular and they're pretty good. This game plays a lot like Etrian Odyssey, which are basically oldschool dungeon crawlers with bright graphics and sweet music. If you've never played them before, EO 4 and EO Untold (a remake of the first game) have demos on the 3ds e shop. They're also both two excellent points to enter the series at.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

lesbian baphomet posted:

I'm gonna load my file before the boss to see what happens when you break vows on purpose. it's probably something bad.....

Lots and lots of binds. I kept stumbling into them and entered the fight horribly underprepared (though not underleveled) generally, and I still won, though.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Humphrey Vasel posted:

this isn't really like the ps2 games so you might be disappointed if what you're going in for is what you saw in that run. if you like first person dungeon crawlers and jrpgs and pokemon you'll enjoy it. watch a gameplay vid.

lesbian baphomet posted:

kanji and p4mc are fantastic for this reason. it isn't great that they're both lightning elemental but you can spot fix that with personas. link skills especially for them are just amazing. kanji with that double hit medium almighty physical skill is fantastic, and he crits quite often with it (if he doesn't miss)

i'm using

p4mc kanji
rei/zen yukiko yukari

yukari can get swapped out for literally anyone if i need to for some specific reason, but i like having two healer-mage. rei / zen are weird and i'm not sure what role they fill. its kinda like they're runemaster with row skills and buffs?

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Silver Striker posted:

That's good to know. I was initially basing my party around a combination of who my favorite characters were, but I wanted to have good elemental coverage so I thought Kanji might be a "wasted slot" since he would be Zio as well as my MC. It's pretty clear that fusion and sub personas (I haven't unlocked any of the other features yet, but I did find a skill card) are powerful enough that a character's base element doesn't matter as much as their overall skill set and with proper fusion I shouldn't have any problem getting him the right elemental moves. I was noticing that about Yosuke as well.

I also want to use Kanji because he is extremely freakin' epic and probably my favorite character in 4.

It's a little bit harder to find a good mix of the physical-based elemental abilites that are cast through HP (since in terms of efficiency they're just outright better than spells), but even without them Kanji works fine so long as you can get him a multi-hit physical skill so he can boost through crits.

He also gets Bestial Roar (user always moves first for three turns) to counteract his slowness, so he isn't even as reliant on Boost as the rest of the party.

When you get access to the P3 party, you'll probably find that they're a lot less specialized to their roles than the P4 group (I was surprised by how much more min-maxed the P4 team seemed). Almost every single one of them gets 1 element spell plus 1 utility/buff/debuff spell and generally more balanced stats to make them effective at either striking or casting, while P4 has characters like chie and yukiko that are ideal only doing one or the other. The only exceptions are Aigis, who is the game's closest thing to a real Fortress, and yukari who is the most main-healer style character available

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
Yeah I saw the quick look of this I was just wondering if gameplay holds up or it's more of a nostalgia thing. I mean I've played stuff like grimrock and might & magic and I liked those well enough.

I'll give the demos a shot though

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Humphrey Vasel posted:

Yeah I saw the quick look of this I was just wondering if gameplay holds up or it's more of a nostalgia thing. I mean I've played stuff like grimrock and might & magic and I liked those well enough.

I'll give the demos a shot though

It is a very good Etrian Odyssey spinoff featuring beloved persona characters and persona style and persona music, basically. Plus the option to have the game automatically do the etrian-style map drawing if you dont care for that sort of thing.

The gameplay definitely holds up provided that you enjoy tactical jrpg combat and character-building.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

The game definitely stands on it's own, but you won't get the full enjoyment out of it unless you're already familiar with Persona 3 and 4. If you're just looking for a great dungeon crawler, though, I can't recommend Etrian Odyssey enough. 3, 4, and Untold are all incredible games (2 is as well but it's a lot harder to get started).

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

I'm pretty overleveled too because I explore every tile/do all quests as well but I'm also quite stupid so I tend to fart around a lot when figuring out how to solve puzzles/foes. I never run away either so the exp starts piling up. just unlocked skillcards finally :supaburn: DEBUFFS FOR EVERYONE

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
second run through of group date cafe:

fuuka :toot:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

hubris.height posted:

second run through of group date cafe:

fuuka :toot:

My first run got me Koromaru. I regret nothing.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
downloading this now, are the persona 3 people cool in this game or should I just prepare for more persona 4? im very cool with either

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

persona 3 people are cool and better than the p4 cast a lot of the time

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Cake Attack posted:

persona 3 people are cool and better than the p4 cast a lot of the time

gently caress yeah!

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
there's very little difference tbqh especially when you mee at the end of the first dungeon

there is a lot of cool dialogue between characters in battle from both teams and within so you should use your favorite peeps

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

some of the cast kinda gets reduced to some basic personality gimmicks, unfortunately, but it hits both P3 and P4 sides. mainly chie (talks about meat, kicking, little else), teddie (hits on girl, gets rejected, repeat ad infinitum), and akihiko (train! protein! fight!). akihiko gets the worst of it by far, but overall i'd still say the P3 cast is written in a more interesting way.

it's also been getting less severe the further into the game i've gone. maybe because introductions are finally over with and they're just getting on with the mission now.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
i know the foes are supposed to be hard / punishing but seriously with 5 people getting boosts every turn i can't beat his rear end because he hits so drat hard / paralyzes everyone

very frustrating fight i bet i could do it easily on normal but pride won't allow me to drop difficulty

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i don't know which foe you're talking about but the answer is probably panic circle.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

hubris.height posted:

i know the foes are supposed to be hard / punishing but seriously with 5 people getting boosts every turn i can't beat his rear end because he hits so drat hard / paralyzes everyone

very frustrating fight i bet i could do it easily on normal but pride won't allow me to drop difficulty

The first one in the third dungeon? i honestly dont remember him hitting that hard, or if he did it was a single target with splash or something and still not enough to one-shot a character. then again i used yukari to keep tarunda up permanently in between any turns where she needed to heal, and P3MC is insanely fast with high magic which makes him a great emergency healer. i didnt have any defensive rakukaja stuff available either, aside from Aigis's fortress protects, and Lunar Blessing from that one special persona in the event that aigis got a crit (Lunar Blessing is Overpowered)

happening to have Null Paral on at least one of my primary damage dealers kanji and chie probably helped some too, in a way that i didnt even notice/forgot about. It kind of just felt like the standard tank it out and whittle it down thing, Power Charge the next turn if a crit happens, just sorta grinding it out and keeping everybody's health topped off while the backrow gets paralyzed occasionally. maybe sukunda also affects status abilities landing, because i used that on him as well.

lesbian baphomet fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 11, 2014

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Sukunda is actually really good in this game, since even without it active, dodging and missing is more common than it usually is in the main personas/SMTs

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
yeah thats the one. sukunda / sukuja is really good, but its just really sp intensive so i tend to try not to use it if i can avoid it. been using orb of haste instead but if you miss its hard to build up to level 2 again :eng99:

it really sucks that zionga is almost 30 sp cause yukari can keep casting it but if she takes incidental damage, good bye chain free casts. also i really like using mind charge and then zionga but the downfall of that is really obvious (sp consumption on zionga is full cost every cast).

i just have to keep at it, i don't have tarunda / tarujuka yet but im sure if i got those it would help. gonna grind a bit to hit 30 and then see whats up, seeing as i'm most of the way through 29 for most characters. i think maybe the lack of a "tank" is catching up with me now, because he just runs wild hitting for like 170-200 on 2 (or in the worst case on a middle back row attack 3) each turn that he isn't paralyzing them. its nice cause sometimes he misses but yowza D:

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Played this game for like three hours last night, and now that i'm off work it's time to really get into it. This game is really good.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

The way i tried to solve the SP problem was to put a physical skill on everyone and not even try to bother chaining costly magic abilities against an FOE unless I'd already scored a crit. I think i had regular Zio on yukari and still wasn't using it unless I wanted to boost-cast something expensive like Silence Circle (which also owns btw), it was a better use of her SP to just debuff or heal when necessary than to try to stay boosted and fish for crits or defend in the mean time. It seems like the best damage is from Physical, and at that point Swift Strike (or something like that, 3x ranged hits on a row, which all hit the same guy if its alone) was common enough to put on half the party.

Its kind of a pain that your default cheap spells get automatically replaced by their larger versions, and it happens before your team really has the SP pool to support that.

Also, my "tanks" were all pushing 300 HP by that point (i think kanji had about 320 even, chie and aigis probably at 280) so 150+ damage hits were still comfortably recoverable with a couple of medias or a Safeguard stall or even just a turn or two of the injured people blocking to let fuuka's regen thing keep happening. He might have killed yukari once since I have the SP-HP swapping ring on her, but if so it wasn't such a big deal that I remember it clearly

lesbian baphomet fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Dec 11, 2014

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Also uhh hey here's some more personas if you need any of these skills

The one with power charge i've got on kanji, the other phys one is on chie, and the last one is just an EO4 arcanist and could work on pretty much anybody (i think it's on yukari right now)

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
thank you for that

that last one is what i've been trying to make and i keep loving it up by wanting other stuff. i'm always leary about not putting skills to hit weaknesses to give people more versatility. thanks!

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
also good call on the hp-sp swap on yukari, gonna do that poo poo

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

hubris.height posted:

that last one is what i've been trying to make and i keep loving it up by wanting other stuff. i'm always leary about not putting skills to hit weaknesses to give people more versatility. thanks!

It was really difficult to make from any other fusion besides Succubus, since she comes with Impure Reach built in which allowed me to just mash 2 circle-havers together.. the phys-heavy personas that were more common fuse results were usually unable to learn either magic passives or circles or both, and it meant that i needed to include something with impure reach in the fusion so there weren't many result options in the first place.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
you'll get the option to extract skill cards in the velvet room pretty soon and that'll make things easier for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Inflammatory posted:

you'll get the option to extract skill cards in the velvet room pretty soon and that'll make things easier for you.

How's that gonna work anyway? can you just rip any skill from anybody that has it, or is it limited to certain skills from certain personas?

• Locked thread