Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

Harrow posted:

This game is going to own and I can't wait to dungeon crawl with my persona buddies

Silver Striker posted:

This game is going to be extremely win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Sito posted:

the mapping is good and fun, for some reason

The mapping is exactly in depth enough to be fun and not feel like a pointless chore, but not so in depth that it feels annoying and spergy. I'm legitimately impressed that a modern game has mapping in it as a feature and it's actually good somehow.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Pretty sure it's using the EO4 system too where it auto does walls for you or whatever, so even if you're lazy you arent really hosed over.

I also just realized this came out in 5 days, I thought it came out in December. Past few months have been insanely good for Gameing.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Don Gato posted:

i have no idea what the gently caress etrian odyssey is but i'm pretty hype for this because i can make a team with a shiba, some kind of personification of the dark side of humanity, a robot and a man who bikes faster than most scooters can go. do i have to have the p3/p4 protagonist in my party?

there are demos for eo4 and eo untold (a remake of eo1) on the 3ds eshop, give them a try.

and yeah you have to pick one of the protagonists.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Pretty sure it's using the EO4 system too where it auto does walls for you or whatever

this is an outrage

more seriously though how good is the character building in this game, all the crazy combos of skills and subclasses is part of why eo3 is the best etrian game but persona 3/4 have really fixed skills for all the non main characters

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

darealkooky posted:

this is an outrage

more seriously though how good is the character building in this game, all the crazy combos of skills and subclasses is part of why eo3 is the best etrian game but persona 3/4 have really fixed skills for all the non main characters

auto-map can be toggled on/off. they basically mimic subclassing in this game by letting everyone equip a sub-persona, but i haven't seen any skill lists yet.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Inflammatory posted:

and yeah you have to pick one of the protagonists.

why

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Because in Japan when they showed the P4 protag in I think the Golden anime event people cheered and poo poo, and the P3 one has a similar group of still very big fans. The core audience has Strong Feelings about who is better and all.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Because in Japan when they showed the P4 protag in I think the Golden anime event people cheered and poo poo, and the P3 one has a similar group of still very big fans. The core audience has Strong Feelings about who is better and all.

It's Yu.

Yu is better.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

It's Yu.

Yu is better.

I agree Yu is better if only because his anime versions both involve him taking the most dickish options in conversation paths.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I agree Yu is better if only because his anime versions both involve him taking the most dickish options in conversation paths.

it's weird because the hero you don't pick is given spoken lines and a personality, while the one you do pick is silent protagonist with dialog options as usual.

so if you like anime yu, pick p3 mc, and pick p4 mc if you want to hear yuri lowenthal's best impression of a stoner.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

p3 mc IS a stoner

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
when did i imply he wasn't??

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I like P3's protag a lot too and it'll be legitimately difficult to pick between the two, I just think anime Yu being written as if he was played by a total jackass is the best possible option for a Persona anime tie in, as opposed to P3's movie stuff which I'm not wild about.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
http://www.twitch.tv/atlususa

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I don't have enough things to do with my 3DS right now so I may end up buying this, god help me

Not on release day, though

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Atlususa posted:

Shadow Kanji best waifu

:agreed:

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
twitch is really making GBS threads the bed, i'll have to watch it later.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Wait you not only have to pick one of the protags but FeMC isn't in the game?? game's looking worse and worse

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Looper posted:

Wait you not only have to pick one of the protags but FeMC isn't in the game?? game's looking worse and worse

FeMC was not, and never will be, canon.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

FeMC was not, and never will be, canon.

and?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I like P3's protag a lot too and it'll be legitimately difficult to pick between the two, I just think anime Yu being written as if he was played by a total jackass is the best possible option for a Persona anime tie in, as opposed to P3's movie stuff which I'm not wild about.

Yuu wasn't a jackass, just supremely self-assured. Did you see all the fishing he did???

So is Minato, but he's an introvert who doesn't lend himself to strong characterization.

I know he has a lot of fans, but I still wish they'd gone with FeMC instead.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

This game, however, IS canon.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

You can't just add non canonical things to canon entries in game series. That'd be loving dumb.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

Ibram Gaunt posted:

This game, however, IS canon.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Ibram Gaunt posted:

You can't just add non canonical things to canon entries in game series. That'd be loving dumb.

Warning: This Game is Canon.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

My avatar is canon.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
when your dumb fanservicey crossover game fails to have maximum fanservice you done hosed up

also if it's canon but FeMC isn't then why is Shinjiro alive?? check and mate

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Also, holy poo poo, why is it going to take eight months to release the second P3 movie on blu-ray? It took them 6 months for the first movie, which also seems incredibly long for an anime film.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Looper posted:

when your dumb fanservicey crossover game fails to have maximum fanservice you done hosed up

also if it's canon but FeMC isn't then why is Shinjiro alive?? check and mate

It takes place before he dies.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It takes place before he dies.

I have been checkmated

still mad tho

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It would have made good DLC, or hell, even a post game superboss.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Should also have thrown in Raidou Kuzunoha and somebody from Devil Survivor 1/2.

Was the Devil Survivor anime any good? I heard absolutely nothing about it, good or bad. Which usually means bad.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

seriously when the gently caress is atlus making a new raidou game

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Vengarr posted:

Should also have thrown in Raidou Kuzunoha and somebody from Devil Survivor 1/2.

Was the Devil Survivor anime any good? I heard absolutely nothing about it, good or bad. Which usually means bad.

I didn't watch it because I don't like DeSu2 that much but from what I heard it's real bad. And the ending is mega retarded.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

darealkooky posted:

seriously when the gently caress is atlus making a new raidou game

The battleship that turned into a giant satan-powered mecha is still tops in my list of the craziest poo poo in SMT.

e: by which I mean yes, I agree. More crazy poo poo please.

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Nov 21, 2014

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Vengarr posted:

joe gets killed offscreen. that is how bad it is.

more to the point, they went with a really grimdark mood and made the protagonist pretty boring.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Inflammatory posted:

loving DROPPED

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

Inflammatory posted:

more to the point, they went with a really grimdark mood and made the protagonist pretty boring.

what?

how can you mess up not-evanglion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

stoutfish posted:

what?

how can you mess up not-evanglion?

yeah.

they split up into groups to fight megrez (the big spiney thing that's actually three big spiney things) and after they beat it, the one in nagoya that is being fought by joe, otome, and ronaldo launches some dumb final attack thing (why only the one in nagoya? good loving question) that kills all three of them. yes, you read that correctly, ronaldo dies on day four. the writers did this because they decided to focus pretty much the entire plot on yamato and the (again, really bland) mc, and that everyone else was secondary at best.

edit: basically the only thing of worth to come out of the anime is that the anguished one crashes with the mc for a while and cooks meals for him and his friends.

• Locked thread