Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Dark Eyes 4 news and cover:

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/dark-eyes-4---cover-and-new-release-date

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Even better than using waxwork Tom Baker in the line-up in the closing shot?

DWM just released a Special called "The Year of the Doctor" which covers the making of "Night", "Day", and "Time". It has the un-Doctored (pun intended, sorry) version of that closing shot. It's Smith, Tennant, Hurt, and 9 extras dressed in the previous Doctors clothes. The heads were just shopped in later.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

CobiWann posted:

The other story in the Box Set, Iterations of I, is a stand alone story, but it plays more to the strengths of the characters than their fears. It's a very unique take on the "base under siege" - it kind of reminded me of the horror flick Prince of Darkness in a way.

"I" is also hilarious.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

You can do Other Things while listening to Big Finish, though. That's how I've listened to SO GODDAMN MUCH OF IT.

My job is so mind blindingly boring, that's how I've listened to so much Big Finish. Not just every single Who story since 1999, but most of their other stuff as well.

Except Benny. Because gently caress Benny.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

So far, I, Davros has not been my particular cup of tea. It just often feels like it's spinning its wheels.

While the first two eps might feel that way because it explores what Davros wants, and what he could be if he could just be allowed to pursue his dreams, ep 3 is when it really picks up when he realizes that he has to play the politic game whether he wants to or not . . .

. . . and then comes ep 4.

I, Davros is one on my favorite series. Though for ep 3 to make real sense, you do have to listen to the main range story "Davros" for the plot with Shan.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

My first was Sirens of Time, back in July of 1999. Listen to the very first release on its release, and haven't missed one since.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

I'd kind of like to see a design for the Cybermen that's almost entirely stripped back. Let's take the head handles and apply them to the entire body, like a sort of power harness crossed with a life support machine.

RTD mentioned that the Cybus Cybermen were going to have more handles on the bodies, sort of like you're suggesting. But he was told that there was a greater chance that those handles would become damaged during shooting, creating hold-ups to shooting, so he nixed them.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

El Pato posted:

I just read this quote...seems very fitting

“Doctor, you don't know what it is to doubt everything, even yourself. No, you don't; you couldn't with eyebrows like yours.”
― Bram Stoker, Dracula

Send this to Moffat so we can get a Doctor meets Bram Stoker, quick.

I would have loved In the Dalek more if the Doctor had spent the entire episode carrying that tray of coffee with him.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

So what happens when the First, Second, and Third Doctors go missing in the midst of their adventures? Who could possibly step and fill his/their shoes?

Why the Doctor of course! Namely the Fifth, Sixth, and Seventh Doctors!

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/big-finish---doctor-who-2015-the-locum-doctors

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

CobiWann posted:

You might very well think so, but of course I couldn’t possibly comment.

I can. It's a photo from 2010 when Karen was coming out of the studio after recording VO for a Who video game, and Sophie was going in to read several stories for BF's "Short Trips" range. Apparently Karen was ecstatic to learn that the woman coming in was Ace, and demanded that photo be taken. Sophie felt horrible because she had come straight from working out (and looked a mess)

Karen autographed the shirt Sophie's wearing, by the way.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

CobiWann posted:

Oh, come on. It's just a puppet! Name me ONE time through all of this show's run that a puppet's been evil or creepy!

The sad thing is, the puppet is no more. A couple of years ago Alex Mallison (who designed and built it) said it took a tumble and broke.

He also said it didn't regenerate into a Christopher Eccleston puppet.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

CobiWann posted:

And not into John Hurt?

It's a shame, the cast interview as the end of the CD spent a good deal of time talking about how creepy the puppet was. I wish someone had gotten to put the McGann puppet and McGann side by side to get his thoughts on it!

This was before Hurt! And I think McGann's commented on the puppet.

Found this photo from a con, and I think Paul's the only actor who can look like the Doctor no matter what he's wearing:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Metal Loaf posted:

I enjoyed "Robot of Sherwood". It was fun. I was not really expecting much else. But I thought the same of Gatiss's other "the Doctor meets an historical figure" episodes ("The Unquiet Dead" and "The Shakespeare Code"), which were also enjoyable and fun, so :shrug:

The way "In the Forest of the Night" turned out was especially disappointing, I think, because someone with as much experience writing childrens' fiction as Frank Cottrell Boyce probably ought to have cottoned on to the implications of the medication angle.

"Shakespeare" was Gareth Roberts, not Gatiss.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Solaris Knight posted:

I love how quickly everyone shifted from "Ew, a female Master" to "Wow, this is the best Master we've had in years!"

Note: the disgust was more from other more knee jerk forums. I was more worried Moffat would make her extra feminine to compensate.

Oh, don't worry, there are plenty of other forums out there who still hate the Master being a woman.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

double post

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

So what petition do I need to sign to get Shona as a companion?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I was kind of hoping the Doctor would finally realize the depths of the dreams they were in once someone pointed out that he was wearing a hoodie. Everyone else's subconscious was trying to warn them by giving them Santa Claus, his subconscious was trying to warn him by placing him in that hoodie.

Also, I had the closed captions on, and were Santa's elves really called "Ian" and "The Wolf"? Because the CC would attribute everything said by the not-Dan-Starkey as "The Wolf".

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The fact that The Doctor himself was apparently attacked in a volcano is strange too. Maybe someone plotted it or something.

Or they reused the volcano set.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

If they're going that way, I think his coat with the sparkly t-shirt underneath works best. Much more casual and he stops standing out.

The sparkly shirt needs to be shot into the sun. Along with that blouse he wore for one ep.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

I'll probably include a review section on the Doctor Who wiki, and I love your reviews, so hopefully you'll be okay with me archiving them/contributing.

You know, in PSP we had created a Wiki that was just fun, goofy stuff . . . until a bunch of non SA people overwhelmed the whole thing and ruined it. .

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Well, we have our first knighted Doctor:

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2014/12/john-hurt-awarded-knighthood.html

And Lucie BLEEDIN' Miller is an OBE

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

DWM last year published a special edition about all the specials that had air during the fiftieth. The best bit of trivia was regarding John Hurt's knowledge of Doctor Who. Apparently, all he knew about Doctor Who was when in the 70s, he'd go out drinking with Tom.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

I've been listening to the audios picked up from the Humble Bundle deal and I've got to say, Mission to Magnus was god-loving-awful. I know all about the context, a half done story for the season that was canceled that they were trying to do in a way to make it play like a story from 1984, but that doesn't make it good.

The first Lost Episodes one with the return of the Toymaker was okay. Not terrific and I would have definitely preferred that the character was shelved forever but there's plenty worse out there. So it's not like I'm opposed to the entire line, it's just that Mission to Magnus was a complete disaster of a story.

I've got one nice thing to say about it and that's Nabil Shaban did a good job with the role of Sil again. Well, that and it feels like a really lovely Colin Baker episode from around that time so if that's what they were going for...

The first series of The Lost Stories (the first 8 with Colin), are crap, except for Leviathan and maybe The Song of Megaptera. After that they get better. The Fourth Doctor Box and the three Fifth Doctor ones are probably the best, along with the First's Farewell, Great Macedon.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Fil5000 posted:

It's sort of funny that the scrapped serials were nearly all as bad or worse than the dross that made up Trial of a Timelord.

What's worse is I've been on forums with people who hated Colin's Doctor, and would refuse to listen to any of his Big Finish stories, but would finally relent for the Lost Stories.

Also, the readers of DWM voted The Nightmare Fair the best Who audio of 2009, a year that had The Angel of Scutari, Patient Zero, Blue Forgotten Planet, The Eternal Summer, Wirrn Dawn, The Cannibalists, The Eight Truths, and Worldwide Web.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

I am shocked that right after they produced such fine stories as The Mark of the Rani, Timelash, and Revelation of the Daleks, what they had planned as a follow up could be bad.

Seriously? The best thing I could come up to say about that bit of fluff is "it's okay, I guess" and it's their favorite? I've only listened to about a dozen audios (the Humble Bundle more than doubled what I've got), and that still seems insane to me.

I honestly believe the reasoning behind their mindset was "Well, it was meant to be on TV, which means it counts, which automatically makes it better."

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Number 6 returns. And no, it isn't Colin.

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/the-prisoner

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Yeah, the Daleks for the revival were initially designed to share the same eye line as Rose, for the purpose of their one on one dialogue scenes together. Moffat felt they didn't have to keep that anymore since Matt and Karen towered over them, and wanted them to be more imposing. He also mentioned the that new Paradigm were meant to look "sharp", i.e. the bronze ones were riveted together, while the new ones were supposed to look like one solid piece, any look like they would cut you if you even touched them.

Then after they bombed, he back tracked and said "No, they're not meant to replace the bronze. They're like an officer class for the Daleks."

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

adhuin posted:

Although I can't see how Audio-Dramas based on Jago and Litefoot could work.
Has anyone listened those and are they any good?

I've listen to them all and they're brilliant. Just some of the best stuff BF does.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

And the best bit? Big Finish wasn't going to do a multi-Doctor story for the 50th. Nick Briggs didn't want to do one for a variety of reasons.

It was Tom who started the ball rolling, asking when they were going to do it.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Nick: Okay Tom, we'll do it!
Tom: Marvelous... but we'll have to record it at my house because I'm shy :3:

That's actually not far from the truth. BF records close to Tom's home so he doesn't have to travel far.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Astroman posted:

A good move, since Barrowman is starting to get a bit long in the tooth to play immortal Jack.

Well, it was established that he does age, albeit far, far slower.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Fungah! posted:

Other Valhalla facts: It's not very good. Not bad or anything, but I didn't enjoy it much. Just seemed like so much dead air.

Other Valhalla fact: The sound effect used to modulate the voices on the aliens physically makes me ill. It's just this buzzing sound, but it makes me nauseous when I hear it.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

CobiWann posted:

Scherzo is one of the bravest scripts I've ever heard. I can only imagine Shearman trying to sell it to Fisher and McGann.

"Paul, the Doctor goes through some severe mental trauma."

"Sold!"

Honestly, that's pretty much the truth when it comes to all those stories where the Doctor gets messed up mentally. That's what McGann wants. He likes the stories where that happens to the Doctor, which is why you have that rash of stories where it seems like that's all that happens to him.

surc posted:

I just started The Creed of the Kromon on my commute this morning. I haven't reached anything bad with Charlie yet, but I can unfortunately see where it's going if it's bad enough to get the creepy-fetish response. :(

Seriously, BF loves Phillip Martin because he wrote a show called "Gangsters", but he is a one trick pony when it comes to writing Who. Vengeance on Varos, Mindwarp, Creed of the Kromon, Antidote to Oblivion, all have the Doctor's companion being forced into some sort of metamorphosis. I think Mission to Magnus is his only story that it doesn't happen.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

...Goddamnit, I stop checking this thread for a few weeks and I missed that there's a new Benny box-set coming out this year... I liked having money, Briggs! :arghfist::saddowns:

Apparently, at Big Finish Day 6, they announced that for the foreseeable future, Benny's only going to be in 7th Doctor stories, since her series isn't selling well anymore.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

I know! I really liked the last set! And this one has Sutekh!

I was surprised by the last set. They kept most of the Benny obnoxiousness away, except for in the first story. I was disappointed by the fact Davros is in it for a two minute monologue, and THAT'S it. No interaction with another character, nothing.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Metal Loaf posted:

I think the first Forge story predated Torchwood by a good couple of years.

Yeah, Project: Twilight was in 2001, Torchwood 2006.

Emerson Cod posted:

Are there transcripts or scripts of the audios out there on the web? While the webisodes and episodes seem fairly straightforward to skim through and catalogue, going through the audios basically involves listening to them again.

Subscribe to Big Finish. On the main range titles, you get a free download of the script.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

double post.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Danny Pink is terrible. Worse than Mels or Melanie even.

No one is worse than Mels.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Gordon Shumway posted:

Also, don't the rights to the new Doctors belong to AudioGo? Or am I mistaken?

AudioGo's kaput. Bankrupt. BBC Audio has them again, and are doing the audio stories again, beginning in summer with a Twelfth story. I assumes it's just going to be read by a single narrator like their previous efforts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Gordon Shumway posted:

It's a nice place to visit but you wouldn't want to live there.

I suppose that's quite a bit cheaper than rounding up actors for a full cast drama, but I don't find them nearly as interesting. It's probably for the best for now, though. I'm guessing that besides David Tennant and John Barrowman, who are big enough Doctor Who nerds to try and make time in a busy schedule for an audio play, none of the main cast from the revived show would be interested in doing Big Finish at the moment.

Arthur Darvill's been in Benny, Dark Shadows, and Frankenstein, and Noel Clarke was in Stargate and Dalek Empire IV. Honestly, I think if they're schedules allowed it, Matt and Karen would probably come back, just for the chance to hang out some more. That's one reason some of the actors agree to return; not to play the part, but to just see one another again.

BF has said that they believe that the only reason Janet Fielding came was so she could torment Peter Davison. :)

• Locked thread