Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

That was a pretty good Christmas episode, although they missed an opportunity to bring back Toby Jones for a scene as the Dream Lord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

I thought this was a great callback to when they revealed Eleven constantly saw Amy as if she were still a kid.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

I...

I recieved a package today.

I

I don't know

Um

If you start to hear Tony Ainley laughing, please put that away.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Something Inside might be my least favorite McGann audio. Such a terrible plot, and I cringe every time McGann says "brain worm", and that man can usually say anything and make me find it interesting. It's like he knows how bad it is as he's speaking it.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, it's so middle-of-the-road that I'm surprised to hear it garner any kind of strong reaction, whether negative or positive. Other stories have been far worse, particularly Creed of the Kromon or Minuet in Hell.

Oh god, I must've blacked out Minuet in Hell again. That is the worst McGann audio without question. But Something Inside and Scaredy Cat round out my bottom three. I actually thought Creed of the Kromon was okay, but then I don't dislike C'rizz as much as some people.

Really, aside from those bottom three, the only other McGanns that I dislike are Invaders from Mars, Time of the Daleks, and Twilight Kingdom.

edit: That's regarding his initial seasons anyway. I also didn't like the Army of Death audio with Mary Shelley, and I still haven't listened to any of the EDAs (aside from Blood of the Daleks) or the Dark Eyes series yet, although I do intend to at some point.

Gordon Shumway fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jan 21, 2015

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

Some of you are saying that Forest of the Night was the worst episode of season eight, but I'd go one step further and say it's the worst episode of all of Moffat's tenure and a strong contender for worst episode of the revival. It's a master class in how not to tell a story with a disastrously bad message attached.

Did we all just forget that Love & Monsters exists?

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

CobiWann posted:

I think, and I could be wrong, it's a mix of letting Big Finish focus on the old series, getting the Doctors/actors back or letting them have time to have careers before bringing them back, and the BBC not wanting fans to think that absolutely have to buy the audios in order to be all caught up on the current TV series.

Or just blame the Tories.

Also, don't the rights to the new Doctors belong to AudioGo? Or am I mistaken?

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

ashpanash posted:

We never did hear about Space Florida.

It's a nice place to visit but you wouldn't want to live there.

Davros1 posted:

AudioGo's kaput. Bankrupt. BBC Audio has them again, and are doing the audio stories again, beginning in summer with a Twelfth story. I assumes it's just going to be read by a single narrator like their previous efforts.

I suppose that's quite a bit cheaper than rounding up actors for a full cast drama, but I don't find them nearly as interesting. It's probably for the best for now, though. I'm guessing that besides David Tennant and John Barrowman, who are big enough Doctor Who nerds to try and make time in a busy schedule for an audio play, none of the main cast from the revived show would be interested in doing Big Finish at the moment.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

where's greenpeace?

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Little_wh0re posted:

Looking at the dynamic rankings page has made me wonder. Which episodes, both nWho and oWho, would you give 10/10 to?

Quite a long list actually, maybe I'm easy to please:
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve
Power of the Daleks
The War Games
Spearhead from Space
Carnival of Monsters
Genesis of the Daleks
The Deadly Assassin
City of Death
The Visitation
The Caves of Androzani
Vengeance on Varos
Remembrance of the Daleks
The Chimes of Midnight
Neverland
The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances
Army of Ghosts/Doomsday
Blink
Utopia (not the rest of it)
Midnight
The Eleventh Hour
The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang
The Doctor's Wife
The Day of the Doctor
Listen
Mummy on the Orient Express

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

adhuin posted:

I hated the Missy-teasers inside the earlier episodes. She was great in the finale, but the teasers felt just pointless manic pixie badguy-stuff.

They also serve to make those episodes weaker on rewatches by inserting plot from the finale that is out of place. It was fine to set things up in Deep Breath and I didn't care about the "promised land" namedrop in the Robin Hood episode, but they're super annoying in every other episode. I really dislike how these over-arching plots have morphed from a one word mention like Torchwood or Bad Wolf to stuff on the level of the Key to Time. This is Doctor Who, not Burn Notice, we don't need to revisit the plot of the season all of the time. We don't even really need a plot of the season every season.

The episode with the instance of this that I particularly hate is the conversation between Amy and Rory about watching the Doctor die during The Doctor's Wife, which is a reminder of a lackluster over-arching plot during what is a fantastic episode. I'd rather just rewatch a great episode like The Doctor's Wife without having to think about that.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

I'm bored so I'm watching Torchwood on Netflix. Wish me luck.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I give him until Cyberwoman until he taps out. Any takers?

Joke's on you, I skipped that episode and made it through most of the first series.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Pesky Splinter posted:

Memory Lane had a pretty compelling mystery around it, and learning that it was a prison was okay, but learning the purpose behind Tom's imprisonment was...well, it rather derailed my enjoyment that I'd had til that point. It's still probably the strongest of the immediate-post Divergent universe dramas, though.
---

Finally got round to those visual guide things. I'm going to cover the multi-Doctor audios, and the spin-off stuff seperately. Feel free to say if I've left anything major out, spelling mistakes, legibility, or suggested improvements and all.

:siren: These all contain spoilers for companions :siren:

I'm not sure if you're counting them, since they're not Big Finish, but Jon Pertwee did three audio plays before he died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Pesky Splinter posted:

Yeah, I'm planning to do a seperate thing for non-Big Finish Doctor audios (I'll have to see how hard it is to get hold of them, see hear if they're any good). Those particular guides are just for BF.

I started on The Ghosts of N-Space and stopped midway through, but not because of the audio, I just got super busy and never got round to resuming it. But the first part felt very much like a Big Finish audio, and it was good to hear Nick Courtney, Lis Sladen, and Jon Pertwee together again. And I'm mistaken, there's only two of them, Paradise of Death and Ghosts of N-Space. Pertwee unfortunately died before they could finish the third one.

• Locked thread