Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

So I'm about halfway through Zagreus and Uhhhhhhhhh....

It's a Hell of a Thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

The past few days, I've listened to "Zagreus" and "The Light at the End," and watched "The Three" & "Five Doctors," "Remembrance of the Daleks" and "The Day of the Doctor." Anniversary Overload. (My wife, surprisingly, was fine with this use of time)

Worst is easily "Zagreus," even though there are individual parts I really like. McCoy and C. Baker's performances, especially. It's just... Too Much.

"The Light at the End" and "The Day of the Doctor" are sort of tied for best for me. The one thing I'd been hoping for was Tom Baker to interact with both Paul McGann and Matt Smith, so I got lucky there. The stories both being very good was helpful.

"The Three Doctors" is pretty silly, in a (more or less) good way. I like Omega, and seeing Troughton in color. It's too bad Hartnell was in ill health, because I'd love to have seen him working with UNIT.

"The Five Doctors" has always been a tremendous wasted opportunity to me. The Doctors should have interacted more.

"Rememberance" is a fun anniversary story, and it has an Anti-Dalek bat, and for that, I will always love it.

So now we're about to watch "An Adventure in Time and Space" again.

Moral of the story: A patient wife who you've managed to convert into somewhat of a Doctor Who fan, it's kind of a must if you're a mega-nerd like me.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Tim Burns Effect posted:

Now try a William Russell/1st Doctor story, he's wonderful to listen to. :allears:

"The Library of Alexandria" is great. So is "The Revenants."

I enjoy listening to Russell. He's got a great narrator voice.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

sunsweet posted:

Now I wish he were still the Doctor, so there could be a scene where his shirt gets ripped off and he's just buff as hell.

That'll happen in the 60th anniversary story.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

PriorMarcus posted:

I always thought Matt had a pretty good shot at a post Who career, but I never thought it should be in action movies.

I'm just kind of glad he's getting away from Doctor-like roles, even if the roles are in poo poo movies. Let him show his real range and then we'll see how far his career gets. Hopefully pretty far.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Glenn_Beckett posted:

Just watched The Ark in Space. Holy loving poo poo. That bubble wrap is probably the best practical effect I've ever seen.

Yeah, Ark in Space owns pretty hard.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

So, I started listening to Circular Time and was quite pleased to immediately recognize Hugh Fraser, of Hercule Poirot fame, and then when the second "season" started, I was even more pleased to realize that David Warner was doing one of the voices! I had to get to Wikipedia pretty quickly to confirm that I wasn't hearing things! The stories themselves are fun, although they go by a bit quickly for my tastes. Still, better than any of them droning on forever.

"Circular Time" may be my favorite Fifth Doctor story (stories) for a lot of reasons, and the voice actors they chose are only a small part.

egon_beeblebrox fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Dec 15, 2014

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Fifteen bucks for all that Doctor Who is a steal. Gonna listen to a lot of Colin Baker this month. Hopefully I'll like the Dalek Empire stories.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

Well, the Lost Stories ARE the $15 tier stuff, so they did do that, but yeah, kinda weird to go with Dalek Empire. Though isn't Briggs really proud of that series?

I figured they used them since apparently Tennant is in them, and they could use that to reel people in.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Let's all watch the best Doctor Who Christmas Special.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uSDD-YiGaE

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

sunsweet posted:

Why is this real?

Why wouldn't it be?

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

TL posted:

Ten: The Man Who Regrets
Eleven: The One Who Forgets
Twelve: The One Who Stands His Ground

I'll see myself out...

Holy God.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Here's a video of Horror movie host, Svengoolie (Known as Son of Svengoolie in the 80s), interviewing Pertwee for the TARDIS 21 Convention in 1984. It has some funny awkwardness in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGf3zWpjPGU

(Also, Svengoolie is pretty fun if you like old horror hosts. Lots of cheesy gags and great old b-movies featured)

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

CaptainYesterday posted:

I am shocked, SHOCKED, that no one has posted this.

There was a autistic boy in North Baddesley who grew up loving Doctor Who (his family are all fans). The boy, named Thomas, even wrote Capaldi, wishing him good luck in the role. Thomas' grandmother dies, and he is unable to take the grief, so...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZuNA8zMeSE

I may not have talked about it on here, but I know I discussed it somewhere. It's a very nice video, and Capaldi is a very nice man for doing this.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

It would only really work with most of the River episodes. And even then, it would still be nonsensical as Hell.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Organza Quiz posted:

I'm one of those rare unicorns who actually likes River and I have in fact watched all of her episodes in the order of her timeline and it actually holds together pretty well. It's just about the only time you can get something interesting from watching episodes out of broadcast order. Of course, River's timeline order is different to chronological order, that would still be pretty hosed.

River's fine. I may try it one of these days. Chronological for River actually working is surprising to me. It seemed to me that it'd just fall apart after series five.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Yeah, I actually enjoyed most of that book, but that entire segment is... unfortunate...

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Davros1 posted:

Well, then, did you report this:

As of immediately, due to licenses being up, not only will BF no longer make Robin Hood, Sapphire & Steel, Highlander, and Stargate audios, they're no longer even allowed to sell them.

Oh bummer, I was going to get my wife some of the Stargate audios. She loves Stargate. Since they're out of print, maybe they'll pop up somewhere.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Astroman posted:

http://io9.com/two-doctor-who-showrunners-just-had-the-best-dumbest-ar-1684300068

:allears:

Yes, that is the Showrunner and Former Showrunner of a multimillion dollar international franchise catting away about canon in the letters section of Doctor Who Magazine like any two spergy fans. I hope Capaldi and Tennant weigh in next. :allears:

This is why I love Doctor Who.

That's pretty cute. If Capaldi weighs in on it, I'll probably side with him, whatever he decides.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Paradise Towers owns. My mom bought it for me and I'd never even heard of it. It's pretty amazing. It's so specifically a story that would only work in 7's run.

Random Stranger posted:

And Mel is completely insane throughout it with her obsession over a rather bland looking hotel pool.

thexerox123 posted:

And I'm always glad for a reason to share gifs of my favourite Doctor Who villain, MECHA LOBSTER:

These are some of the main things I love about it.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

What are some good Mel Big Finish stories? I don't think I've ever heard one. (If I have, I have forgotten it). She never really bugged me on TV. The TV show was so odd while she was on it, it was just par for the course while I watched those stories.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

I've looked it up. The only Big Finish story with Mel I've heard is "Flip-Flop" which is an... odd... story. I like it, but it has Problems.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

CobiWann posted:

Anyway, off to write my Always Sunny fanfic, The Gang Resurrects Adric.

The reason the Doctor gives up a vegetarian lifestyle is that Frank Reynolds introduces him to the legendary Rum-Ham. I'll let you choose which post-Sixth, pre-Ninth Doctor he gets along with best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Announce the Lego Doctor Who video game. Do iiiiiiiiit :stare:

Yeah, that's all I want out of it. Maybe with a 'Design your own TARDIS console' section. That'd be fun. And my companion would always be K-9.

• Locked thread