Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Maybe Doctor Who is just not too good with the number Six.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Burkion posted:

Which is very sad because when she first showed up, she was great. And her appearance in the Angels two parter was OK too. The Angels Two Parter kinda sucked, but you know.

People poo poo the moving Angels but I didn't see what was so wrong with the rest of it (it even had Jorah Mormont as a battle monk!).

Disclaimer: that was literally the first time I'd seen Weeping Angels though.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

BSam posted:

SOUNDS LIKE YOU NEED TO LISTEN TO SPARE PARTS.

Spare Parts would be better as a Dalek episode. :v:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ms Boods posted:

Happy 51st anniversary, folks.

I guess Teefury is giving away that box now.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I don't think I've actually seen that episode yet, so it's going on my Thanksgiving watch list along with a bunch of other TV I have to catch up on.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

It feels like Smith was hardly there, but I guess that's above average.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Chucat posted:

I need to watch this again since on the first watch I just absolutely despised it and now I can't remember a single thing about the episode except Vincent is staring at a painting and the painting is moving.

Maybe I was delirious or something.

It's about 25 minutes of episode stretched into 45. It's good, but it's not paced as well as it could be.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Huh, I hadn't remembered how "The Doctor seemingly abandons Clara, forcing her to work by herself" was featured outside of Kill the Moon, but it sort of has the same vibe to it (minus the abortion subtext of course).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

pgroce posted:

What if what we think of as Cybermen really aren't? Instead they're the expendable footsoldiers of the real Cyber race -- that is, the original inhabitants of Mondas -- who use them to establish Mondas's security without endangering any actual Mondasians. The goal is survival after all, right?

The Mondasians -- the "real" Cybermen -- would be cybernetic, too, but with very different priorities than what we think of as Cybermen. Presumably the Cyber-Controllers and whatnot would be Mondasians (or directly controlled by them), but they would operate at a safe remove. One can imagine Mondas carefully hidden out there, where the Mondasians stay alive for vast centuries. Maybe some occasionally die (a great systems failure) and some are still even occasionally born, connected to the Grid early on, growing into their cybernetic hardware as part of their development. Body horror ahoy.

This dovetails nicely with what PriorMarcus is saying, IMO. The "real" cybermen think and act more like he describes, with the protective force of Cyber-stooges projecting force well ahead of them.

If the priority is survival, don't fight wars -- not yourself, anyway. Every death is a failure. Instead, skulk and connive. If you require violence, create expendables to fight your battles for you -- the dumber the better, so they never present a threat to you. But not for the sake of conquest, only to keep the homeworld secret and safe. Only to make it easier to survive.

(Well, that was a fun piece of head-canon. Cybermen should be so much more, dammit. :argh:)

This is sort of what Spare Parts did with the cyber leaders.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Kazy posted:

I just wish the show would give up on this weird forced conflict they're trying to do, it's sucked all the soul out of the show :smith:

By which you mean "actual characterization".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jet Jaguar posted:

Is there a Doctor Who episode set on a beach? Because today I've watched "The Ice Warriors"* and "Last Christmas" and I would love something set somewhere a little warmer.

* - Received for Christmas, loved the little factoid track that pointed out little things, like one of the scientists is Wallace from "Wallace and Gromit."

Midnight is at a resort.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hughlander posted:

Can somebody explain the reference, I'm way too tired.

Trayvon Martin I think.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

2house2fly posted:

I wish he'd at least get some story arc lessons. His idea of developing a plot over a season is for Missy to show up and wave at the camera every couple of episodes.

Series 8's arc was not about the Master. The only thing she really did in continuation of that arc was give him the Cyberman army at the end.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jerusalem posted:

In un-chronological related matters, is there ANYBODY who actually liked Kill the Moon? Outside of all the stuff that happens between Clara and the Doctor after the main storyline is resolved?

Everything before the "oh you have a choice? Gotta run!" from the Doctor was pretty good I thought. At least everything up through where they meet the first space spider minus I guess the random sombrero in the background of the base.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cleretic posted:

While I can agree that I don't want the Boneless to become oversaturated, I love them enough that I want to see more of them. They're a great tool for making things that are just plain wrong; some of their work in Flatline is fantastic in making things terrifying in an unorthodox way. It's hard to describe how a flattened picture of a train on a wall is scary, but it still is, in its own way. The idea of a monster that can alter physical dimensions is ripe for loads of great sights that would be awesome to see crop up every so often over the years, although I'd struggle to think of a story/setting that would really suit them. An under-siege story set in an art gallery? Maybe their attempts to understand 3D reality result in MC Escher-style landscapes, because they haven't quite got it right.

Maybe they can tie in with those Space-time paintings from the 50th.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Organza Quiz posted:

The part about "don't take your medication" was bad enough, but what really got me was "don't take these children to safety because it's better that they die with their families than grow up somewhere without parents." I mean yeah, growing up as space refugees would probably suck (although you'd think the Doctor, with all of time and space at his disposal, could find somewhere to put them where they would be taken care of reasonably) but is it really a fate worse than death? It's just glossed over as if it's a perfectly reasonable thing to think.

I think the Doctor is uniquely qualified to tell how living while the rest of your planet burned feels.

Although I guess he knows it didn't really burn so it doesn't count.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Organza Quiz posted:

Which reminds me, this is a post-Torchwood: Children of Earth world, although I guess that may have been one of those things swallowed up by the cracks in time. But the point is there have already been alien invaders who have used children as mouthpieces, and it was the start of the storyline and it was intensely creepy.

To be fair though nothing the child mouthpieces ever said was really wrong, and I don't think anyone outside of the government found out that they were wanting to take a percentage of the children.

To be doubly fair it's perfectly fine for Doctor Who to ignore anything that happened during Torchwood.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Glenn_Beckett posted:

In comparison to the year of specials. Season 8 is super good, except kill the moon, forest of the night, and the first half of deep breath.

Though, I do think it's legitimately very good. One of the best of the revival, imo.

I agree, the only flaw I think is that the ending doesn't really feel earned for what we got. We should have either had the Doctor change his mind and try to fix history earlier, or we should've had him keep to it a little while longer.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Emerson Cod posted:

As I tell my writing team, if you swap the gender of your character and they suddenly make no sense, you've written a lovely character.

Sounds like you just value interchangeable characters instead.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Soothing Vapors posted:

I can't believe the thread didn't somehow ruin this moment

We are officially better than Game of Thrones now.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Is the "sorry, Van Gogh was still loving depressed and killed himself" bit at the end of Vincent and the Doctor or later in the series?

It's right at the end when she finds out that there's no new paintings.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

MrL_JaKiri posted:

TNG is old Star Trek :v:

The gap between TNG ending and today is longer than the gap between TOS ending and TNG.

In two years the same will be true of DS9.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Gaz-L posted:

Why couldn't the BBC licence BF to do audios but not using the 12th Doctor or Clara? Maybe I'm dumb, but shouldn't that be easy to write into the contracts?

It'd be pretty easy. I think the main issue is that of the three other Doctors since the revival started, one isn't interested in doing Doctor Who stuff ever and one isn't interested in doing it now (or at least until his acting career kinda flubs out), which just leaves Tennant.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Gordon Shumway posted:

I'm bored so I'm watching Torchwood on Netflix. Wish me luck.

Children of Earth is actually good except I never like the "protagonist cops are on the run from law enforcement" trope.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I'm going to be on a plane for half the day in a few days, what are the best cheap BF stories? I have (and enjoyed) Spare Parts and I have (but haven't gotten around to) Jubilee.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
My new favorite thing about long plane rides is that I can justify buying more audios. Now I have four more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I just finished Invaders From Mars and while it was fun it was also really scatterbrained. I think it took about 20 minutes to introduce everyone and it took until the very end for them all to come together. I honestly think the Orson Welles stuff could've been excised (I mean minus him reading War of the Worlds on the radio) for an overall improvement, although I see why the Doctor meeting him would be a draw.

• Locked thread