Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Little_wh0re posted:

Theres always the smith era.

I have no idea how it'll go down, really. He's so into the bombastic over-the-top Rustyness and much of that goes away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Incidentally, anyone who hasn't gone back and watched Silence In The Library now we've seen River's life needs to, that initial meeting is amazing and heartbreaking when viewed in retrospect.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Murray Gold's whole 'bombastic' thing was a lot less after Rusty left, so I have a feeling a fair bit of that was Rusty poking him with a stick and shouting BIGGER! BIGGER! I really liked what he's done during Moffat's run, though he's a bit repetitive and overly reliant on leitmotifs.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

True, I suppose; I was thinking more about how he'd go totally overboard for random-of-the-week stuff.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

PriorMarcus posted:

I hated that scene. It's exactly what the Cybermen shouldn't be. A zombie inside a robot. The shell shouldn't have any autonomy without the body inside still being alive and ticking, because otherwise it's just a robot powered by blood.

I don't mind the idea as long as the robot shell is dumber, clumsier and automated. Problem is, that would require more from proper Cybermen.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

PriorMarcus posted:

I'd kind of like to see a design for the Cybermen that's almost entirely stripped back. Let's take the head handles and apply them to the entire body, like a sort of power harness crossed with a life support machine.

Darth Vader meets Edge of Tomorrow.

They should be constantly be being pumped with regulatory drugs and pain medicine, so that they sound happy all the time, even though every step is agony, and they have lived long beyond their years.

Dunno if you saw the concept art from season 2 that they decided not to go with, but it has the same feel at this:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Astroman posted:

Counterpoint: Handles :colbert:

Also speaking of themes, when I listen to them all back to back, 9 and 11s are the best, and the ones I most strongly associate with the revivial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sABWdtN5NV8

Amy's theme is pretty inexorably associated with 11 and the revival as a whole for me as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGKgM7BW41E

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Fucknag posted:

What an awful TARDIS replica, the shape's all wrong. :colbert:

Originally it would've been painted red, too. All the Glasgow boxes were.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

I wasn't posting in the Doctor Who threads then, but I recall really enjoying it then and I still like it to this day - though admittedly mostly because I just love the scene where Rose suddenly realizes she's alone in the future in a room full of literal aliens and gets completely overwhelmed and has a bit of a panic attack.

I really like the bit at the end where Rose mourns over the remains of Earth.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

This reminds me, have we actually seen Capaldi's time vortex?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

According to Nick Briggs on that livestream, there's gonna be a BIG FINISH HUMBLE BUNDLE FOR CHRISTMAS!

Awesome.

Although I hope they don't do that thing they do with comics where they just load a whole bunch of the first parts of multi-part stories.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

CobiWann posted:

drat it, I can't afford this...if only I had some kind of time machine or mathematical genius to manipulate the stock market...

It's a humble bundle, the most basic option is $1.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

Michelle Gomez owns even harder

I know, right? She is amazing and single-handedly made the entire finale.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

CobiWann posted:

Edit - and I can't get to it because I'm at work, but the Radio Times poster for this episode was absolutely incredible.

Okay, that's awesome.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Given how Clara reacted when the Doctor turned up on the roof, I wonder how long it's been. She reacted like it had been ages.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

The big development in this one is, I think, that Clara's finally going to be a full-time TARDIS resident. She was the first "day-tripper" companion in the revival, bouncing back and forth between adventures in the TARDIS and her home life, but the end of this episode hinted pretty strongly she's in for the long haul now.

Amy and Rory did this for ages, remember? Season 7 was all day-tripping and it was implied they did it a lot more than we saw.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ahahahaha, it's amazing how many of those Doctorwhorama are perfectly on point.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

On that note, "Mad Man with a Toxx" was SUCH A GOOD THREAD TITLE

What crazy person changed it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I really want a good Telltale Doctor Who game. Almost as much as I want a Telltale Star Trek TOS game.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I like Beast Below in general but I feel like a lot of it is done really clumsily. It does feel rushed and pretty contrived.

That said, Matt Smith raging at the end as he's forced to confront killing the Star Whale and everyone is ashamed is loving fantastic.

It does bother me that they kinda ignored that Space UK is still a dystopian nightmare society that enslaves children at the end.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jan 6, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

howe_sam posted:

There's also Amy's cold feet about getting married which when paired with the end of the Angels two parter could lead a person to think they were going back down the Rose rabbit hole.

Eh, even at the end of the Angels two parter there was Amy saying "I didn't have anything so long term in mind" and the Doctor being all EWWW HUMAN, which made it all much better than Rose's stupid sap right off the bat.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Watching the Time of the Doctor and I notice at the start the Doctor has apparently finally gotten around to putting a transmat into the TARDIS that I guess the writers just forgot about, presumably because transporters break plots far too easily.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Speaking of River chronologically, if anyone hasn't gone back and rewatched the Library episodes since we got the rest of her story, do it now, it's so much more affecting.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

You couldn't even do it with Doctor Who, anyway. When does the Land of Fiction happen, chronologically? Or N-Space? Or any of the Gallifrey stuff, for that matter?

I was just thinking, there's a lot where we have no idea when it happens.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ashpanash posted:

I loved the before-the-credits reveal in Pandorica. What a mind gently caress.

Before the credits reveal in Big Bang was an even better mindfuck for me first time around.

If there's one thing Moffat knows how to do, it's blow your brains with a cold open.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Question for you guys: I remember watching an episode of Doctor Who a long long long time ago when it was being broadcast on public tv and saw an episode where the Doctor shrunk down and was injected in his own body(?). Was this a fever dream of a child or did this actually happen at some point? The image quality seemed to be circa the '70s-80s, perhaps a fourth Doctor episode?

The Invisible Enemy

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

howe_sam posted:

Is that the first time we learn who Amy's marrying or do they say it at the end of Flesh and Stone?

Flesh and Stone. The Doctor asks if it's the good looking one or the... other one. :nose gesture:

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jan 14, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Rhyno posted:

I was puzzled how anyone was going to believe them about the Flesh drones coming to life without having a second version of anyone around. It's more likely the survivors were going to get committed rather than helping launch an investigation.

Presumably they could science the ones made of Flesh and see they weren't human.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Rhyno posted:

At the end the Doctor says the TARDIS's unique radiationy waves have stabilized them and they're 100% human now.

Nah, it just says that they're stabilised for good and won't melt.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Why do I have a feeling that in the next episode of Occ and Oxx's grand adventure everyone's gonna rave so much about how awesome Rory is as a companion that when they get up to him being erased three episodes from now they'll just take it as given that he's coming back.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

Forget that, what about the fact that "The Wedding of River Song" prevented River from learning the Doctor's name, which was the entire basis of their trust for the Doctor's initial meeting with her?

I'm pretty sure River says in one of the Minisodes that he tells her very later on in her life; presumably because she knows in Library.

Hey, when you said this:

quote:

since it's all but stated now that her parents investigated the cracks a little too closely and left her orphaned without ever knowing why.

had Occ figured it out? Because I remember this thread during the initial run of this season, and whilst it's super obvious in retrospect, back on first view it was a very tenuous theory held by only a few people up until The Doctor outright says her life makes no sense in Pandorica Opens.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

I'll admit I stated it outright to Occ, I had no idea it wasn't obvious to everyone else. "Big time-eating crack in bedroom + no parents" is not a happy conjunction of circumstances.

Yeah. To be fair to us at the time, 'no parents' is half the characters on television. The other half being 'one parent'. Dealing with backstory characters and casting extra people is, like, so annoying guys.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

Oh poo poo It's The Ducks of the Daleks.

Fixed

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, though they never state it is the case, I really dug that if you take the knowledge that she can read and write old high Gallifreyan, and the fact that the Doctor brings out his own baby crib with his name on the side in old high Gallifreyan, then you can absolutely take away that River only knows his name because she read it one day during one of their adventures. I love the idea that all her insinuations and misdirections were just covering up yet again that she doesn't know him as well as she thinks she does.

The Doctor's name was written in the interlocking circles, not old high Gallifreyan. (Old high was a traditional alphabet of symbols in a row like English). That said, if she knew the former it's not a leap to say she knew the latter, which seems to be more common.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jan 18, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DoctorWhat in the review thread posted:

Look, it was a continuity error from nearly five years ago. Who still gives a poo poo about a jacket?

Oh fo- you're not being clever, you're just calling attention to it and basically confirming it's significant.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Blasmeister posted:

I assumed the first post was referring to the 'who did River kill?' thing.

Barely even merited discussion, it was so drat obvious it'd be The Doctor. They don't even really try and hide it in the episode.

I mean there was some speculation that maybe it was a double-bluff, but that's about it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

She says her mum used to put faces on the apples, so I always figured she did that one herself. But your interpretation is pretty good.

Oh, and it fits one other way too! Why did her aunt leave her home alone that night without a babysitter, as the Doctor indignantly points out? Because when she went out, Amy's parents lived there too.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jan 18, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I was really disappointed when Power of Three felt the need to actually include aliens at the end. I liked the idea of the Doctor (possibly subconsciously) using a weird, inexplicable thing as an excuse to hang out with Amy and Rory over a year.

Power of Three's ending is just abysmal.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

One thing to remember is that there's no solid single coherent mythology you can read because there were hundreds of nations spread across an entire continent with dozens of languages. Uluru, for example, was incredibly important - to a single nation on whose lands it stood out of hundreds. And there's just generally a lot of mythological variation, all made more chaotic by the cultural fragmentation they've suffered since European settlement.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jan 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

CobiWann posted:

I'd like to see an episode where the Doctor doesn't find another Time Lord, but rather an empty and abandoned TARDIS...

Endless tunnels and spaces, an entire civilisation sprung up down there... but the corridors and rooms twist back on themselves in a way that doesn't entirely make three-dimensional sense...

End reveal, they lead everyone out through the ruins of the console room onto a new world

• Locked thread