Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
surc
Aug 17, 2004

Awesome! Here's the real question, though. Are those actually autographed to you, or a previous owner?

E: Also I'd love to get in on DWSS, but am mildly worried that I haven't spent enough time in the threads to be able to actually tell what to get somebody. I see there are those checkboxes on favorite doctors which I assume are to help prevent just that problem, any other things I should be aware of, like gifts that everybody will probably already have or anything?

surc fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Nov 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surc
Aug 17, 2004

This seems like the perfect time to ask. If I'm watching through the original series in order, when should I start throwing the audios in there? Or are they really a different enough take that I should just treat them as their own, and start listening whenever I get the urge?

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

I haven't felt that way at all about him. I think the writing had him trying to figure himself out for awhile and not always well in the first half of the season, but his actual portrayal has been pretty clear to be.

Yeah, this. There was that whole "Oh yes, I'm a madman in a box, that's what I've always wanted to be!" thing in the finale just to drive it home that the doctor had been trying to find himself. Capaldi's been great and known exactly what he's doing.

I really felt like this season didn't know what it was doing, though. It was way fragmented and unconnected, while still trying to do this whole season-long "30 seconds at the end of every episode" arc. It also felt like it was trying to tell a bunch of totally different stories all at the same time, and couldn't stay within a single mood with more than 2 characters on the screen for longer than 30 seconds. I think that's one of the things that bothered me most, is that while there were a couple episodes I enjoyed, every episode I was wondering what was going on, and never felt like I got a satisfying answer. For example, are they really going to follow up on Future spaceman TOTALLY NOT DANNY PINK and his toy soldier that clara gave to the doctor, or was that just some weird episode-consuming tangent? And I felt like they kept doing things like that. It'd be cool if it went somewhere, but it's probably not going anywhere, and now you don't have enough time for the actual story in this episode.

(I am mad about this season wasting time with Capaldi, and denying us more of Michelle Gomez and him on screen together)

surc fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Dec 5, 2014

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Oh nooooo! I listened to storm warning and really enjoyed it (after he settled into it a little, the start was rough). :sigh: At least a bunch of the older ones have "web special" prices.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Bicyclops and CobiWann (quoting's being problematic for me for some reason on this device):

I actually bought the first three stories at the same time from Big Finish, but (apparently from subconsciosuly remembering the opinion of the thread) did not get minuet as well. I probably will - a lot of why I'm loving the early hartnell seasons of the show is the mst3k level of production/1960's horrible cultural concepts combined with doctor who story, so hilariously bad is right up my alley. It's also not a matter of not having the money for the stories that's got me sighing, it's that there are just so many Who audios out there I'm very aware it's not going to be just a one or two time expense.

It's kind of an interesting experience for me in general, as I'm not really an audiobook/audioplay/podcast kinda guy, so I don't really know what to expect in terms of performances, or things that are just considered standards for the medium or anything.

E:
And yeah, I went with the 8th doctor audios specifically because people said they're good ones I can listen to as I watch through the classic series without worrying about messing up continuity for myself in the show.

surc fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 18, 2014

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Kill the moon is a terrible, terrible episode with awesome chemistry and acting, which is the opposite of my complaints about a lot of the season, and I enjoyed it more than I expected, because when it comes down to it most of my enjoyment from the show comes from watching The Doctor be The Doctor (whatever that means for a given doctor), and I really felt like Capaldi fully found his doctor in this one.

I also enjoyed Sherwood more than I expected too, for similar reasons. I was pretty sure I'd hate it based on the trailer from the previous episode, but much like The Unicorn and The Wasp (which is one of my favorite episodes, screw you general forum consensus :argh:), it just goes for over the top silliness, doesn't take itself seriously, and positively revels in the campiness. Plus, again, I felt like Capaldi was getting to try out some different moods on with the doctor, and again really settle himself more solidly into who exactly he'll be.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Big Finish is super confusing to me with their organization. What is the next eighth doctor story after Minuet, is it The Chimes at Midnight? Should I switch from Main Range to Dark Shadows at some point to continue my 8th doctor funtimes? Somebody was kind enough to talk about this before, but I don't know how to basically go "take me to the next eighth doctor one!" on Big Finish's site. Is there a trick to it, or some weird filter/search thing I'm missing? (saw the filter by doctor, but not sure how to progress from within just "all the audios with the 8th doctor in newest->oldest fashion".)

I haven't listened to minuet yet as I can't deal with that during morning commute, but happening in the next couple weekends. Looking forward to the ride! So far I've done up through Stones of Venice.

surc fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Dec 23, 2014

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Pinwiz11 posted:

What do people recommend that they use to listen to the Big Finish stories on an Android? I decided to resubscribe over the holidays and I'm open for suggestions.

I had to look this up a couple weeks back for commute-listening. There's a few that people recommended in general for .m4b (which is what the "audiobook" versions of the downloads are in on big finish) files. I went with "Smart AudioBook Player" and am enjoying it, although it's not like, a life-changing user experience or anything. All I care about is that when I click the "refresh library" it successfully re-scans the folder I told it to look in when I download the next one, and I can pause/play and adjust audio. :shrug:

When I end up having to listen to them in .mp3 format because I don't have time to DL the full file before heading out in the morning, I just use Google Play Music.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Cutting back a few pages to the River Song chronological order, I really enjoyed watching the "Her Story" clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOYzrnOegcg

surc
Aug 17, 2004

howe_sam posted:

Also, reading Occ's review and him congratulating the show for having Amy and River get along makes me wonder. Do we know at what point Moffat worked out River's complete backstory?

Most accurate info I could find, courtesy of Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_Song_(Doctor_Who)#Conception_and_development

quote:

The character was originally created purely for the plot of "Silence in the Library". Moffat knew that the team of archaeologists would have to trust the Doctor, but the Doctor's psychic paper could not explain and convince the team why he had appeared in a sealed-off library. Therefore, Moffat intended for the Doctor to know one of the archaeologists, but decided that idea was "dull" and instead decided to have one of them know him. When Kingston returned to the show, Moffat explained to her some details about her character's back-story, knowledge which Smith, Gillan and Darvill did not receive until later. Kingston relates that she knows her character cannot be killed off because we saw her death in her introductory episode; each subsequent appearance is set at a different point in her character's personal history. Moffat had planned out that River was Amy and Rory's daughter for "a long time" and used "Pond" as Amy's last name to create a link between the two. For the filming of the sixth series, Kingston was aware of River Song's relationship to Amy and Rory, while the other cast only found out upon reading of the mid-season cliffhanger script for "A Good Man Goes to War".

Seems like he had decided on at least some type of family connection with Amy from the start of S5. I'd guess he basically was all "Oh man, Doctor's wife, that could be cool!" while writing Silence in the library, and then developed it out from there.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Organza Quiz posted:

I went and looked up a transcript of the exact words since it's been a few years since I saw it and I couldn't remember exactly what was said:

I guess that doesn't mean he can't age, but it certainly sounds to me like he can't ever die. Although I'm okay with the idea of him being the Face of Boe and waking up again a few minutes after the scene where he dies.

I don't think it necessarily even means he can't ever die (at least that excerpt, I can't remember if they specifically are like "yeah I knew you wouldn't die because you can't die" at some other point). The doctor deals with fixed points in time a lot, they're just usually a single moment or decision, not a person's entire existence. Maybe Jack just no longer has free will, his destiny is completely unchangable, and for his whole life every action of his is a fixed point in time. I imagine that'd skeeze the doctor out. :shrug:

surc
Aug 17, 2004

I just started The Creed of the Kromon on my commute this morning. I haven't reached anything bad with Charlie yet, but I can unfortunately see where it's going if it's bad enough to get the creepy-fetish response. :(

I was super confused during the start why the doctor was all good with charlie being there, until I noticed I'd totally skipped over Scherzo :sweatdrop: Think I'll try and download/load that onto my phone before the end of the day, give myself a better ride/walk.

Zagreus was awesome, and I definitely agree with whoever was just praising the voicework. India Fischer and McGann are both awesome, and they do a good job of distorting the Zagreus voice enough without going overboard. I do feel like I missed out somewhat, as my watching of the classic series hasn't gotten far enough for me to be familiar with the doctors voices. I kind of got that those three voices were probably versions of the old doctors (the cover has them all on it, after all), but I feel like I didnt' appreciate it anywhere near as much as I would have if I had already experienced them as The Doctor.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

I don't want to build up Scherzo too much for you (too late, I'm sure), so I'll just say to keep in mind that while it's a great story, it's very unsettling and at times viscerally so. Go into it with that mindset and I think you'll really enjoy it. given your taste in stories so far!

Successfully hyped up even more, I now know as fact that Scherzo will be the best auditory experience I'll have in my entire life. Thanks!

Fortunately I skimmed over the earlier scherzo posts so as to avoid spoiling myself too much, I'm intrigued as to what's so unsettling about it. Hopefully this time I'll remember to not do my usual media it-rolls-over-me-and-then-I-forget-my-opinions so I can actually voice an opinion once I'm done!

surc
Aug 17, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

I think they should poach Gillian Anderson before she commits to more X-Files.

Pretty sure that Gillian Anderson would actually be terrible as the doctor, not nearly crazy enough, too low key.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Did... did I just listen to Natural History of Fear in a super jumbled order, or is that how it goes? It seemed like it might be right, and it says it's playing in order instead of in shuffle, but I'm not quite all the way to the end yet so I can't quite tell. I jumped past the second half of Creed of the Kromon because, ugh, but now I'm a bit lost. I mean, if this is the order to listen to it in, then you guys saying Scherzo was disturbing were pushing the wrong one! I got off the train this morning incredibly disoriented (in the best way).

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Haha, doesn't he say something like,"Not now Rory, I'm trying to figure out what obvious thing I'm missing!"? :allears:

I believe it's actually about something being right under his nose (which I think is the trigger that gets him to realize the implications of rory being back, continuing the fine tradition of "Rory has a big nose" jokes) :v:

surc
Aug 17, 2004

howe_sam posted:

All the old seasons were on Prime. The currently airing season you had to pay for.

You got me really excited for a minute there before I realized you didn't mean "Classic". :(

surc
Aug 17, 2004

ashpanash posted:

It's not like he needs a spoiler to know that Rory returns. He's not stupid.

He's already expressed that the main point of avoiding spoilers in the thread is because spoilers (and the non-clever 'non-spoiler' spoilers) are lovely posts.

You, uh, seem pretty defensive about spoilers there.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

:hfive:
The Lodger is great. I don't remember what I ranked it, but if I guessed less than an A I'm gonna be pretty annoyed with myself. I just re-watched it like a week ago, definitely one of my top stand-alone Smith episodes.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

This is pretty much just the best news.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

SpaceCommie posted:

I found a program called Zagreus.sh to do this for me

I was going to make a joke about failing to unzagreus the files, but the syllables not matching made it too clunky. :(

surc
Aug 17, 2004

adhuin posted:

I hated the Missy-teasers inside the earlier episodes. She was great in the finale, but the teasers felt just pointless manic pixie badguy-stuff.

Yes, this exactly.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I dunno, Curse of the Black Spot... stunningly forgettable.

:mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surc
Aug 17, 2004

So does this actually have any kind of justification in the story, like does she catch the finger-goop oozing disease from some planet or something?

• Locked thread