Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
All things being equal, I still wouldn't trade the Doctor's "this year, the Master's finally gonna let me kick that football!" scene for anything.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

"The Three Doctors" is pretty silly, in a (more or less) good way. I like Omega, and seeing Troughton in color. It's too bad Hartnell was in ill health, because I'd love to have seen him working with UNIT.

He would have engineered the downfall of the organization through a series of elaborate pranks. gently caress the Man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
And this was at the tail end of the last thread, but I only caught up last night. For US Goons, Red Dwarf has an additional tie to Doctor Who in that it was often tagged on after a "movie-style" serial (usually an hour and a half) to make it a full two hours. Our local station, Maryland Public Television called this sci-fi programming block "The Zone" even after they had dropped Blake's 7 because they always ended it with Jack Horkheimer, Star Hustler. :3:

The BBC put up a page of actors who have appeared on both Doctor Who and Red Dwarf, and there are more than I'd realized. Mark Williams, sure, he's hard to miss, but the lady who sang the theme song?
http://www.reddwarf.co.uk/news/2013/11/22/doctor-dwarf/

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
If it weren't for Big Finish, I'd have a hard time getting any narrative media at all with my schedule. And if you're doing a really good one, suddenly you find out that you've done the dishes and the laundry, swept up, cleaned out the cat box and hadn't noticed you were doing any of it.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Trin Tragula posted:

What the actual gently caress is going on?

Striking out towards sanity for a moment, occasionally when I have unexpected free time I ask a RNG to give me a story to watch. It gave me #84, The Brain of Morbius. Are you human enough to watch Tom Baker in his prime?

I think I love every goddamn thing about this serial: Robert Holmes' complete rewrite, Robert Holmes' snarky pseudonym, Robert Holmes' cameo... probably some other things...

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

The_Doctor posted:

Secret Santa stuff will go out tonight, apologies etc. it's been a hell of a weekend.

Oh, and you sir, are a gift to humanity.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Bicyclops, how is that you and I keep up on the same schedule? I plowed through I, Davros over the weekend and I enjoyed it way more than I was expecting. I listened to episode 3 before 2 accidentally and that helped somehow... it broke up the story and pacing a little better and you didn't get all the political machinations in one clump. Mostly (besides Terry Malloy, who is fantastic as always) it was the atmosphere that sold it, and the gradual descent of Kaled society from something resembling modern society to the armed camp of Genesis. And the creep factor was in full effect, especially episode 4's explanation for where Davros got the mutants for the original batch of daleks

As Davros1 (heh) said, it's an expansion on the flashback sequences in Davros. My only complain is the abandoning of the framing device at the end of episode 4. I liked the Daleks telling Davros how much they hated his story!

EDIT - Someone with a Colin Baker avatar needs to post next. We got a thing going!

After The War fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Dec 2, 2014

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Bicyclops posted:

Ah, good to know. That's why I stick it out! Every season has its growing pains!

Are you listening in release date order? It's likely that you and I have similar situations, maybe. :) I listen when taking the train, walking or flying. I hear a lot more when I'm going grocery shopping or when I have to go back and forth between a few locations at work. You'll probably get ahead of me soon, because some of what made me move so quickly were errands that involved miles of walking for the wedding, as well as a lot of flying, so I'll probably be down to 1-2 stories a week shortly (although I do have another couple of long flights coming up).

Haven't we compared spreadsheets at some point? I've been going back and catching up on all the non-main range ones so that I can do proper release date from here on. Started Eighth Doctor Adventures today in fact, and... it's interesting what aspects of the revived series they thought were important enough to incorporate. CONSTANT MUSIC is one, a more "Oncoming Storm/Let's Kiss Us Some Daleks" Doctor than we're used to from Eight, and a whining modern day twentysomething companion. They... don't know how to write dialogue for modern real world people, do they?

It'll pick up eventually, I know, but I already miss the McGann/India Fisher chemistry :sigh:.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

CobiWann posted:

So is showing my stepdaughter Warriors of the Deep the sign of good parenting, or bad parenting?

Oh, Warriors of the Deep. Just like all six serials in Season 21, I can't stay mad at you :allears:. (I wonder why they ended the season one short? The world may never know.) For all its many, many flaws it still keeps with the themes of the season: the distance between those in power and those affected by it, that military strength leads to moral impotence, and that everything finally comes to down to single decisions about what's right versus what's easy (or self-preserving, generally). It's very late-Cold War, and it's probably tricky for a younger person who didn't experience it to have the same impact. Of course, the fact that we're seeing these kinds of stories again (think Winter Soldier) means it might not be such a hard bridge to cross after all...

It only occurred to me as I was posting this how much Season 21 reminds me of Watchmen. Same era and similar circumstances, of course, just two years earlier. Might have to write out an analysis later. Anyway, crap monster (see also: the rest of Season 21) and The Standard Silurian Story aside, it fits into a larger whole that I appreciate.

[/JNT apologia]

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Jerusalem posted:

Remind me, is Warriors the story with the cliffhanger where the Doctor is tipped over a railing into water only a few feet below, and before he's even gone all the way over the side Turlough has already grabbed Tegan and shouted something like,"Forget the Doctor, Tegan, he's clearly dead!"? :allears:

Jerusalem posted:

The Doctor/Turlough relationship has always been fascinating, particularly at this point where the Black Guardian link has been severed but the Doctor has also been left without a buffer between himself and the odd alien with dubious morality. Nyssa stayed on Terminus, Tegan stormed out of their lives in a rage, and now it is just the two of them. Turlough is sick and tired of Earth and wants to get out amongst the stars again, and he's also sick and tired of the Doctor constantly sniffing out trouble for them to get into instead of just kicking back and relaxing or just going sightseeing. This story explores somewhat the nature of Turlough's character, and his own continuing belief that he is not a very nice person at heart.

In short... yes.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

CobiWann posted:

The old Doctor Who RPG I used to play in...

God, I miss that game.

There was a conversation about the nature of a Doctor Who RPG in here a while a ago. (Or was it in trad games? Or an episode of Role-Playing Public Radio? Somewhere.) The general consensus was that it's very difficult to game something structured like the show, focusing on and main protagonist and their sidekicks, and that it was better to just have something set in that universe but structured in a more egalitarian way. How did you guys pull off the power balance? Did players take turns being the Doctor or was it just one of those perfect group/GM collaborations where everyone is okay with their roles?

Sounds like your GM saw the Doctor Who universe in the same mindset as Big Finish. I could see that idea working as an audio... better than a lot of them, in fact.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

DoctorWhat posted:

Too late, Aliens exists, and we all know that the Xenomorphs are just the Wirrin but not made out of bubble-wrap.

The Wirrn will always be the nightmare-inducing, terrifying monsters I imagined when I was read their entry in a Doctor Who encyclopedia we had as a kid.

My introduction to Doctor Who was weird.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

El Pato posted:

I just read this quote...seems very fitting

“Doctor, you don't know what it is to doubt everything, even yourself. No, you don't; you couldn't with eyebrows like yours.”
― Bram Stoker, Dracula

Davros1 posted:

Send this to Moffat so we can get a Doctor meets Bram Stoker, quick.

:swoon:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
To my santee, your gift arrival should be imminent, and I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry.

No, I'm not.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Fil5000 posted:

I've said it before, but it bears saying again - my first Who memory is of Terror of the Vervoids. It's a wonder ANYONE that got into Who in the mid 80s hung around.

:bahgawd: [effortpost about postcolonial racial politics in Time-Flight]

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I forgot, I received After The War's gift earlier this week and I can't wait to unleash that insanity upon my unsuspecting friends.

For reference, this is what I received, in CD form:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qb6DqiNb3A

Thank you, thank you, you mad bastard. :getin:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
You have all chosen poorly.

EDIT - Dammit everyone who replied while I was putting my pictures together!

The_Doctor posted:

I just realised I didn't put a note or any identifier in my package about who it's from. :doh:

In a totally unrelated note, I received a package from some unknown person the other day... with the seal of Rassilon on it!

Sadly, I haven't had a chance to take action shots of all the awesome swag until today.

Awesome 50th anniversary books and a tiny Adipose!

And in honor of my avatar and era of choice:

Do you think it would be all right if I... kissed Peter?

YES... *click*

A witty rejoinder to my declaration that the only good "shrinking TARDIS" story is the one where the First Doctor found out how to start very small fires:

And best of all... official Ark in Space cosplay fabric!

Thank you, whoever you are! Certainly not The_Doctor - he'd have remembered to put his name on there!

Thank you, The_Doctor, you're a hero to the thread year after year, and this time you got to be mine!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I always took it as the same reason Four takes them into the future in Pyramids of Mars: They get to present day and it's a smoking wasteland because they didn't stop Sutekh in 1912. Incidentally though, I'm a big fan of The Christmas Carol too :allears:.

To be sure, Pyramids is just a quick trip into the alternate timeline and back, Back to the Future 2-style. And it's so Tom can get his inner Jewish mother on. "There's the ruins of planet Earth, Sarah. Are you happy? Are you satisfied?!"

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It was nice of them to directly point out the episode's inspirations. That's pretty much the only thing I enjoyed.

Just because your Secret Santa was batshit crazy* doesn't mean other people can't enjoy Nick Frost playing it straight! :sassargh:

* Me IRL.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Not everyone's voice changes when they get old. Sorry but its true.

:swoon:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Chokes McGee posted:

As the Valeyard.

Just in time for Six's trial.

Robert Holmes' eyes snap open. He blinks, shakes his head, and sits up but is unable to shake the nightmare that had gripped him. He dreamed that he had died, and the final part of Trial of a Time Lord, what could be the very final moments of Doctor Who ever, had been rendered as utter incomprehensible gibberish. Thank God that didn't happen, he thinks, and closes his eyes again to begin imagining what he could achieve over the course of Season 24...

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

adhuin posted:

I haven't actually seen any of the old serials, but I can Imagine Leela being all:
Can't help it. 4th Doctor IS an Old Man for me, not the dashing scarf-wielding hero. :sigh:

Luckily, there's a cure for that. Usually we start you off on a course of Robots of Death , then choose the treatment according to your response.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Metal Loaf posted:

Here's another piece of moderately amusing trivia: it's also one of the relative handful of early DVD releases (i.e. the discs are silver rather than having a picture printed on them) that never got a special edition re-release. Other examples include "The Dalek Invasion of Earth", "Pyramids of Mars", "Earthshock", "The Two Doctors" and "The Curse of Fenric".

A pity, because it's got one of the craziest behind the scenes stories (JNT and Bidmead wanting to do make the series less silly and more ambitious, the director trying to do complex cinematography and editing despite the legendarily low budget and rushed schedule, almost leading to JNT's firing) and I'd love to hear more about it. Plus it doesn't look like any other Doctor Who serial before or since, and deserves a good remaster.

More here: http://www.shannonsullivan.com/drwho/serials/5n.html

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Davros1 posted:

Number 6 returns. And no, it isn't Colin.

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/the-prisoner

:neckbeard:
I'd be groaning if anybody else in the world were to try this. Was just watching an episode last night!

The Blu-Rays of the original run are fantastic, btw - hands down the best remastering I've ever seen.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

adhuin posted:

Well... I watched and liked it enough to check the Leelas first episode The Face of Evil and onward up to Image of The Fendahl :v: .

I consider The Face of Evil, Robots of Death Good episodes and I really really enjoyed The Talons on Weng-Chiang. Although I can't see how Audio-Dramas based on Jago and Litefoot could work.

Horror of Fang Rock was mostly bad, but Leelas had some good moments.

The invisible Enemy and Image of Fendahl are just bad. ugh!.

Upon seeing your reaction to initial treatment, I'd recommend a regular dose of the "Hinchliffe/Homes" cocktail, starting with Ark In Space, preferably before bedtime. :getin:

(Although experimentation with Time Warrior and Carnival of Monsters beforehand has been known to enhance results.)

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Astroman posted:

It would also be great to get Nick Briggs to start editing RTD.

There we go.

Astroman posted:

What I'd love to see is a 70s (or 80s?) episode where Jack, working for Torchwood, is on the same case as UNIT with some alien invasion and has to keep narrowly avoiding the Third Doctor. :allears:

There's a great moment in Urgent Calls when Six is talking to someone in the 70s who is experiencing Alien poo poo and a military investigation. "They didn't bring someone along with curly hair and no dress sense, did they?"

After The War fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jan 15, 2015

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

CobiWann posted:

There should have been another way.

Let that be your last yearly licence negotiation.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
God, I love this group.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I don't know about showrunning but I'd love to see him write for it too. Grant Morrison as well.

Like every British comic writer from the 80s and 90s that Americans have heard of, Morrison did his comics run in Doctor Who magazine. You have a few options for reprints, but none look particularly expensive. Hope you like Frobisher!

You're in this thread, of course you like Frobisher.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
World Shapers is a Six/Jamie story from before it was cool.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Fungah! posted:

Other Valhalla facts: It's not very good. Not bad or anything, but I didn't enjoy it much. Just seemed like so much dead air.

You had to say that just before I started it, didn't you? Okay, need to do one more Companion Chronicle first, but still...

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Trin Tragula posted:

the First Law of Doctor Who Fans: "No substantive discussion group will be able to entirely agree on the merits (or otherwise) of any given story, not even the "except X, that just sucked/rocked" corollary to this law." An excellent example of this is the four segments of a story known as "The Trial of a Time Lord". We generally agree that one of them is a misunderstood classic, one is enjoyable piffle, and the other two are hopeless, embarrassing failures that we should never speak of again. Unfortunately, what we can't ever agree on is which segments go in which category...
It follows, then, that every single opinion about Doctor Who, even the incomprehensible or insane, has to be held by someone.

The_Doctor posted:

<whispers> I don't think Jubilee is all that.

Even that.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
It's always really problematic to make generalizations about old Who because it varied so much from era to era. I think it was MrL_JaKiri who said that the series today is a lot closer to the Doctor Who of 1989 than the 1989 show was to the 1963 version. For every stretched out Pertwee story, there's a McCoy serial that badly needed another 25 minutes. (Okay, so it's not one-to-one, but you get the idea.)

The writing is even trickier, partly because one of the purposes it served was to make up for concepts beyond their capacity to create visually - which itself varied depending on the technology/budget of the time. I really can't think of another series like that, before or since. It's unique, and that's one of the reasons creators keep coming back to this particular series rather than creating new ones from scratch.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

CobiWann posted:

I'd like to see an episode where the Doctor doesn't find another Time Lord, but rather an empty and abandoned TARDIS...

Don't do it, Doctor! That's an infinite chasm of horror and nothingness! Also, there's an empty TARDIS.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

MrL_JaKiri posted:

*In case you didn't know, all post-grad maths and physics text books feature sections in them entitled "Why Doctor Who is mathematically/physically (delete as appropriate for the topic of the book) inaccurate".

Sounds like someone skipped Block Transfer Mathematics. :colbert:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Fungah! posted:

Other Valhalla facts: It's not very good. Not bad or anything, but I didn't enjoy it much. Just seemed like so much dead air.

Finally got around to finishing it, and the CD extras section made it all worthwhile.

Summary: Michelle Gomez says that she'd really like to play the Doctor and Sylvester McCoy hopes they eventually cast a Doctor with a thick Scottish accent. :3:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

We'll just work our way through. Julie Graham is already the female Sylvester McCoy.

jng2058 posted:

That would allow his successor (Whithouse? Gatiss? Someone new?) to have at least one season with an established Doctor to get his or her feet under them, and only then transition to lucky number Thirteen.

You can't mean.....?! :ohdear:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Good God, The Wishing Beast is awful, even for a Paul Magrs story. Isn't it a crime in the UK to waste Jean Marsh? And if not, why not?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

CobiWann posted:

I could stare at that gif for hours. So many emotions crammed into that one moment by both actors. Not a single person I know said "oh, God, a FEMALE Master," they exclaimed "oh, God, THE MASTER!"

Looking at it after the BF interview gives it a whole new meaning for me. Two lifelong fans, getting to play the parts they wanted since they were kids! (Okay, Michelle Gomez said she wanted to eventually play the Doctor, but still...)

It really does seem like yesterday that it was a given the show would never, ever come back. But here it is, and I can't help but grin at how fantastic they must feel.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Little_wh0re posted:

Looking at the dynamic rankings page has made me wonder. Which episodes, both nWho and oWho, would you give 10/10 to?

Off the top of my head, so missing a few, and factoring in limited resources, in no particular order:
  • The Caves of Androzani (surprised, I bet!)
  • Remembrance of the Daleks
  • City of Death
  • The Ribos Operation
  • The Edge of Destruction (ie, Part 1)
  • The Robots of Death
  • The Brain of Morbius
  • State of Decay
  • The Empty Child/Doctor Dances
  • Day of the Doctor
  • Neverland
  • Creatures of Beauty
  • Davros
  • Circuar Time

• and especially The Land of Happy Endings :3:

Probably more if I really thought about it, but there are many more that are just shy of perfection. Genesis, for instance, could have been edited into a perfect serial, and Rob Shearman still has yet to work out how to do a completely satisfactory, well-structured conclusion (the only flaws in... well, everything he's done).

EDIT - Ah gently caress it, MrL_JaKiri's right, Ark in Space. When I was making the list above, I thought I remembered some pacing issues, but... gently caress it, Ark in Space.

After The War fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Feb 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I'm sure BF would jump at the chance, but (from what I can glean on their FAQ page) the BBC regards "Doctor Who (1963-89) and Doctor Who (2004-) as two completely separate entities, and Big Finish is only allowed to touch the former. Beyond messing with storylines or whatever else (the closeness with Cardiff is ultimately two fans having fun) they simply aren't legally allowed to touch the 2004 show. Maybe concepts like the BBC hiring them will come up in the license-renewals this year, but I'm just keeping my fingers crossed they'll be able to keep making Doctor Who at all after December 31st.

I'm sure there's no reason to worry, but fans who went through the Dark Times can be a little jumpy.

• Locked thread