Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D3unjDwV8I

!KICKSTARTER UP! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lunarchstudios/prismata-a-new-hybrid-game-of-pure-strategy

Prismata is an easy-to-learn, fast-paced hybrid strategy game that borrows familiar elements from real-time strategy games, collectible card games, and tabletop strategy games, combining them in a radical new way. Think "turn-based StarCraft", but without a map. Or, think of Hearthstone with workers and build orders instead of decks.

In Prismata, players take turns spending their resources, building up their economies, constructing an army, and obliterating one another until only one side remains. Games last only minutes, but always feel fresh thanks to randomly-generated unit pools that are different every time. Each game, there are new units to construct, new build orders to plan and discover, and new threats to respond to.

Current Stage

The game is currently in closed alpha, with updates being consistently posted on Lunarch Studios' Facebook, Twitter and Blog. New units are being added to the game every week.

INSTANT ALPHA access: Pledge Kickstarter CENTURION $78CAD/$69US or higher. Will get key within 24h.

ALPHA access: Pledge Kickstartet EARLY BIRD SUPPORT or higher. Will get key somewhere in Dec 2014.

eSports, Streaming

Prismata aims to be a new eSports game, and it has already attracted pro Hearthstone players and Poker legends like Freshca and Timex. Since Prismata's alpha began gaining momentum, many Twitch streams have popped up to stream the game. The developers also stream during their daily "Brawl" periods, when auto-matcher and leader boards are enabled.

Links

http://www.prismata.net/

http://blog.prismata.net/

https://twitter.com/lunarchstudios

Media

Official Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/lunarchstudios

Official Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/lunarchstudios/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxzcZT3hVtY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOn4c6INvf8

Kripp plays Prismata tourney: http://www.twitch.tv/nl_kripp/b/590981666

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmkMcrDJo64

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!
Reserved.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!
Raising this thread from the dead to say that Prismata is fun and interesting. You should try it!

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

I can't agree more, Prismata is crazy fun. Get yourself access to the alpha, you can back the kickstarter for $19 or follow people on twitch (lots of key giveaway). There's also an offline demo now at http://play.prismata.net/?demo , so check that out if you're on the fence.

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

Ask me about zoning laws in videogames
The main issue that often comes up with removing randomness is that the game becomes very intimidating to new players. Less skilled players can never beat more skilled ones, which is a big draw for some people and a downside for others.

I personally am in the randomness is bad camp and love the hell out of the demo. I'm just wondering if it'll manage to take off and stay afloat, especially with their business model of cosmetics-only and no unlockables.

Baron FU
Apr 3, 2009
Just posting to say that the game is amazing. My first day of alpha me and a friend played for 6 hours against each other.

The kickstarter tiers also gives 2 or more keys so they are a great way to get in to Prismata with one or more buddies. The matchmaking can be pretty brutal for new players.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

KasaiAisu posted:

The main issue that often comes up with removing randomness is that the game becomes very intimidating to new players. Less skilled players can never beat more skilled ones, which is a big draw for some people and a downside for others.

I personally am in the randomness is bad camp and love the hell out of the demo. I'm just wondering if it'll manage to take off and stay afloat, especially with their business model of cosmetics-only and no unlockables.
Yeah, there's a pretty harsh learning curve for sure. I'm no expert, but was able to consistently destroy my brother since I had 25+ more games played than him...I'm sure that settles at some point, but it made screwing around less fun. I'd love to see some kind of handicap system for 'friendly' games, while retaining the perfectly competitive ranked games.

I'm worried about how they'll do free to play too. I don't particularly care about emotes or skins or whatever, and can't see myself paying for that (unless it was purely to support the game). But maybe I'd pay for special single player campaigns, puzzles, or something. In a backer update video the founder talked about :

1) Skins and emotes (and animations/sound effects)
2) Single player mode/expansions/paid packages
3) Arena mode (basic arena free, fancy ones cost something)
4) Raids (PvE with some friends, somehow)

So maybe that'll work. Be interesting to see.

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!
Waiting patiently for them to send out alpha keys. I guess they will make the 140k easyil now. Not even 2k to go and 39 hours left.

Btw: If anyone has an alpha key I would take one.

Vax fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Dec 19, 2014

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Vax posted:

Waiting patiently for them to send out alpha keys. I guess they will make the 140k easyil now. Not even 2k to go and 39 hours left.

Btw: If anyone has an alpha key I would take one.

I have some alpha keys, if anyone wants them. Hell, I'll post two in here now -- just post when you take them, so people aren't disappointed:

(Edit: Sorry, all gone!)

I'm up to tier 8, but I need to improve a lot to get to Master tier still. If you want to friend me in game, my screenname is OrangeKing there, too.

OrangeKing fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Dec 21, 2014

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

OrangeKing posted:

I have some alpha keys, if anyone wants them. Hell, I'll post two in here now -- just post when you take them, so people aren't disappointed:

MBW7S-PNKKF-TW7EN-B58E9
8WQB5-72YDW-P32Q3-2CVZD

I'm up to tier 8, but I need to improve a lot to get to Master tier still. If you want to friend me in game, my screenname is OrangeKing there, too.

I grabbed the second key, thanks! Was interested in this after seeing the Kripp cast today.

CompeAnansi fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Dec 21, 2014

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."
Used the first key. Excited about the whole no-randomness cosmetics-only thing!

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
Boo, went to the shower and missed my chance.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!
I have a couple more keys I could post, but I want to make sure I don't have friends who want to take them before I give them away. Stay tuned!

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

OrangeKing posted:

I have a couple more keys I could post, but I want to make sure I don't have friends who want to take them before I give them away. Stay tuned!

Would you be willing to PM one to me? I'll play games with you. :glomp:

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:
If anyone has a spare key, send me a PM. I've been playing the demo to get a feel for the game and would love to play the real thing.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Brackhar posted:

Would you be willing to PM one to me? I'll play games with you. :glomp:

AuxPriest posted:

If anyone has a spare key, send me a PM. I've been playing the demo to get a feel for the game and would love to play the real thing.

I think I have two I can spare, so check your PMs momentarily.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Would love a key if anyone has. Have PMs

or Email: Sabin0786@gmail.com

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Dec 21, 2014

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

OrangeKing posted:

I think I have two I can spare, so check your PMs momentarily.

Thanks so much dude! We should definitely get some games in. Now if I can just figure out where to enter this darn key...

Edit: Found it! Adding you as a friend.

Brackhar fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Dec 21, 2014

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!
Sorry Brackhar, my internet went down for a minute after our last game. I think you were actually ahead for a while in that one - maybe the cauterizers just weren't efficient enough, and the centrifuge that late in the game wasn't going to have a big enough impact to get you back in the game.

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!
They KS keys should be getting send out over the next couple of days. Stay tuned.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

So, this game is super fun. My only main complaint right now is that there doesn't really feel like there's a way to surprise your opponent, so when you start losing it's exceptionally difficult to pull out of the spiral. Anyone else running into this?

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Brackhar posted:

So, this game is super fun. My only main complaint right now is that there doesn't really feel like there's a way to surprise your opponent, so when you start losing it's exceptionally difficult to pull out of the spiral. Anyone else running into this?

I think it's quite possible that most players "start losing" quite a while before they realize they're losing, which is what makes comebacks seem so difficult - by that point, you're far behind. It would be like not realizing you're behind in chess until you're a rook down. On the other hand, it is pretty hard for a decent player to completely overlook something, which means that tactical shots aren't common (as they are in chess). Wins and losses more often seem to occur on the strategic, long-term level; watching some high-level games, they tend to realize they're "in trouble" very early and change plans as quickly as possible, hoping to get things back in their favor several moves later.

In other words, I think most of us are just making huge mistakes and paying for them before we even know we've paid for them. The game is complex enough that the best players right now probably aren't playing all that well yet, either!

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

OrangeKing posted:

I think it's quite possible that most players "start losing" quite a while before they realize they're losing, which is what makes comebacks seem so difficult - by that point, you're far behind. It would be like not realizing you're behind in chess until you're a rook down. On the other hand, it is pretty hard for a decent player to completely overlook something, which means that tactical shots aren't common (as they are in chess). Wins and losses more often seem to occur on the strategic, long-term level; watching some high-level games, they tend to realize they're "in trouble" very early and change plans as quickly as possible, hoping to get things back in their favor several moves later.

In other words, I think most of us are just making huge mistakes and paying for them before we even know we've paid for them. The game is complex enough that the best players right now probably aren't playing all that well yet, either!

Yeah, I'd be willing to believe that's the case. It's just rough when you're starting out, 'tis all.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Brackhar posted:

Yeah, I'd be willing to believe that's the case. It's just rough when you're starting out, 'tis all.

Totally agreed. I still go into most sets feeling like I have absolutely no clue what I should be doing, and sometimes don't realize things have gone wrong until I've been breached and have no response. This game isn't forgiving at all for new players. And I'm reasonably decent by current standards (bouncing around Tier 8, nowhere near Tier 9), which is what makes me wonder how confident even the "good" players are right now.

All this said, if you want a more tactical experience, just play bullet or Kappa (3 second turns!) with someone. Absolutely ridiculous. :)

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

Man, they nerfed Apollo and Deadeye in the last patch. It's like they hate fun or something.

edit: Nevermind Deadeye is still great party hard

KasaiAisu fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Dec 23, 2014

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
This is a cool game for sexy people, offline was tons o fun.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

KasaiAisu posted:

Man, they nerfed Apollo and Deadeye in the last patch. It's like they hate fun or something.

edit: Nevermind Deadeye is still great party hard

I like new Deadeye even more. It was definitely more of a change than a nerf, and now people can mess up against it in all sorts of ways since (especially when the number of drones are winding down) it's sometimes right to use the attack to take out key defenders rather than whack another drone. Yay, Deadeye!

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'm honestly not sure how to get better at this game. I win maybe 1 out of ever 8 games I play against the Master Bot, and usually only because there's a super OP unit in the repo that the AI doesn't exploit. I think I fundamentally don't understand the economy curve in this game, 'cause whatever I do I always find myself on the back foot walling up while the enemy continually pumps out aggressive units. However, if I try the same in reverse my defenses get overrun immediately.

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

Understand the strengths and weaknesses of every unit. Tarsiers are cheap and efficient, but take two turns to get online and have only one HP. This means they're very obvious to your opponent, and if there are some one-time breaching tools in the advanced set (like anything that makes Gauss Charges, Pixies, or has Chill), then a red rush might not be a good idea. Gauss Cannons are quite inefficient, but against a lot of one-time breaching tools, they're excellent, because they have a very high 5 health. I've won several games with no drones on the back of Gauss Cannons.

Your opponent's first few turns are often very telling of their strategy. If they get a third engineer, they're going for high econ and you'll either want to rush them if there are no efficient walls (Doomed Wall, Aegis, etc), or follow suit yourself.

Since you both have access to the same units, check to see if any units counter any other ones. Apollo is devastating in the long game, but it has zero attack, cannot block, and takes a lot of resources and time to build. It would probably lose to some fast, but defenseless Frontline units, like Shredder, since they won't be able to get enough offense online fast enough.

re: economy curve. A Drone pays for itself in three turns, after which you begin to profit. If you're using Drones to block, Engineers are better deals, costing only two gold. The amount of drones you build will depend heavily on the advanced set and your opponent's strategy, but usually you'll be trying to double drone for the first few turns, perhaps skipping them for some tech on turn 2/3.

If you do find yourself on the defensive, check what kind of weapons they're using. A Plasmafier consumes a Drone each time it attacks, so it means your opponent functionally has three less drones (the ones that are on drone repair duty). Some weapons have Exhaust, meaning they come in waves and you can defend one turn, while attacking on the next. Always try not to overdefend! Money you spent on a Wall that didn't do anything could have been spent on a Steelsplitter. Check your opponent's attack power and determine what they can actually do; if all of their offensive power is also all their defense, then attacking means they leave themselves wide open. In this case, it might be useful to call their bluff, underdefend, knowing that if you get breached you'll be able to breach them right back.

I hope this was useful. I haven't been playing Prismata for too long myself, but I've been having a lot of fun with it.

KasaiAisu fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Dec 27, 2014

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

So what tier is it to get access somewhat soon? It seems like everything is December 2014, so there's only a few days left, will most of these packages get me in, in the next few days?

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
I got a key three weeks ago and I've been playing the poo poo out of this. It's too NERDGASM for some of my friends (but they said they liked it as a singleplayer game) but I love it. I have some spare keys—post if you want one.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Xom posted:

I got a key three weeks ago and I've been playing the poo poo out of this. It's too NERDGASM for some of my friends (but they said they liked it as a singleplayer game) but I love it. I have some spare keys—post if you want one.

Yes, please. Looks interesting.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Special Message From Senor Lowtax posted:

ThisIsNoZaku has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages.
Where do I send key?

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Xom posted:

Where do I send key?

I just bought plat so try again? Edit: I just enabled PMs.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Xom posted:

I would like a key! This game looks pretty neat, and I'm a sucker for sci-fi anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMxI3Hbd-Ko

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Sent!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Xom posted:

If you still have a key, I'd love one. NERDGASM card games are great.

Edit: Thanks, that was quick ^_^

Cynic Jester fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Apr 9, 2015

• Locked thread