Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

Ask me about zoning laws in videogames
The main issue that often comes up with removing randomness is that the game becomes very intimidating to new players. Less skilled players can never beat more skilled ones, which is a big draw for some people and a downside for others.

I personally am in the randomness is bad camp and love the hell out of the demo. I'm just wondering if it'll manage to take off and stay afloat, especially with their business model of cosmetics-only and no unlockables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

Man, they nerfed Apollo and Deadeye in the last patch. It's like they hate fun or something.

edit: Nevermind Deadeye is still great party hard

KasaiAisu fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Dec 23, 2014

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

Understand the strengths and weaknesses of every unit. Tarsiers are cheap and efficient, but take two turns to get online and have only one HP. This means they're very obvious to your opponent, and if there are some one-time breaching tools in the advanced set (like anything that makes Gauss Charges, Pixies, or has Chill), then a red rush might not be a good idea. Gauss Cannons are quite inefficient, but against a lot of one-time breaching tools, they're excellent, because they have a very high 5 health. I've won several games with no drones on the back of Gauss Cannons.

Your opponent's first few turns are often very telling of their strategy. If they get a third engineer, they're going for high econ and you'll either want to rush them if there are no efficient walls (Doomed Wall, Aegis, etc), or follow suit yourself.

Since you both have access to the same units, check to see if any units counter any other ones. Apollo is devastating in the long game, but it has zero attack, cannot block, and takes a lot of resources and time to build. It would probably lose to some fast, but defenseless Frontline units, like Shredder, since they won't be able to get enough offense online fast enough.

re: economy curve. A Drone pays for itself in three turns, after which you begin to profit. If you're using Drones to block, Engineers are better deals, costing only two gold. The amount of drones you build will depend heavily on the advanced set and your opponent's strategy, but usually you'll be trying to double drone for the first few turns, perhaps skipping them for some tech on turn 2/3.

If you do find yourself on the defensive, check what kind of weapons they're using. A Plasmafier consumes a Drone each time it attacks, so it means your opponent functionally has three less drones (the ones that are on drone repair duty). Some weapons have Exhaust, meaning they come in waves and you can defend one turn, while attacking on the next. Always try not to overdefend! Money you spent on a Wall that didn't do anything could have been spent on a Steelsplitter. Check your opponent's attack power and determine what they can actually do; if all of their offensive power is also all their defense, then attacking means they leave themselves wide open. In this case, it might be useful to call their bluff, underdefend, knowing that if you get breached you'll be able to breach them right back.

I hope this was useful. I haven't been playing Prismata for too long myself, but I've been having a lot of fun with it.

KasaiAisu fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Dec 27, 2014

• Locked thread