Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

this prosecutor guy is going to have to move to phoenix isn't he

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Ok, enough of this crypto-racist "is it RAHOWA time yet?" bullshit. The grand jury has reached its decision. Acting like this is a win for your team grossly oversimplifies the situation and is the mirror image of the poo poo you all make fun of D&D for.

sorry N4I i don't actually have a side i just hate hysterical nerds

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Now Ukraine, that was a protest

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

How many selfies do you think the tactical response squad took after they suited up with all their gear

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Holy poo poo someone just straight up stole that Bassem guy's phone while he was filming and ran away

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

justice4trayvawn posted:

Care to venture the race of the perp, mate?

I'm not an actual racist even if that one guy accused me of cross-burning

The one time a guy tried to jack my phone he was a white tweaker-looking fellow so I'm equal opportunity when it comes to disliking scumbags

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

TsarZiedonis posted:

Why is the drunk thread more erudite than the current events thread?

Honestly, I'm pleasantly surprised at how small scale and calm things seem. I'm only watching the CNN feed, but it seems like for all the thousands of cops wearing armor, carrying AR's and tooling around in giant armored trucks there are, there are only a few thousand actual protestors, max. Most of whom seem quite peaceful. The worst videos of looting that CNN had up showed what, a few dozen looters cleaning out a liquor store, one burning car and a building?

If anything, this whole incident is just kind of sad. I don't disagree with the grand juries decision, but it's a loving tragedy that a man is dead, and there's obviously a serious problem with how the urban poor of America are treated by their police. It's embarrassing to think that is what the world sees of America.

Oh, and these CNN reporters are such vultures. They are absolutely *salivating* over the possibility that some terrible episode of violence might happen in front of their cameras.

Yeah everyone dispersed after the police lobbed a few gas canisters and I didn't see any serious injuries in the stream. It'd be a different story if the cops started doing Israeli-style rubber bullet firing lines.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

maffew buildings posted:

If we get lucky Shinin' Diamond Joe Biden will run, although honestly I've been hoping after his terms as VP he would go to Vegas and do a stage show where he sings the standards and between songs tells stories of his political adventures to the crowd

I do not want to see this beautiful butterfly of a man ruined by the burden of presidency.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Facebook groups, for whatever reason, are about as bad as the comments section of a local news article

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Tremblay posted:

I just made the mistake of reading the Michael Brown thread in D&D. I haven't been in that subforum in a long time. I now remember why.

The Michael Brown thread was a great reckoning, in which everyone who disagreed with hysterical doomsayers was found to be a racist.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Tremblay posted:

Maybe I'm too simple. But this kid doesn't seem like a great candidate for "the next Rosa Parks". I'm sorry a kid is dead, but from reading through the documents from the grand jury. Sure as hell seems like a legal shoot to me. Are there racial issues? Yup. Are there issues with cops getting out of hand? Yup. Is this a great example of either? Not really convinced.

Honestly I think that's part of the problem with how people are talking about the issue online. The US has a lot of hosed up problems with police and a legacy of racism that, for the most part, hasn't been dealt with since the MLK days. However, whatever the circumstances of the killing were, the fact that Brown assaulted a shopkeeper over petty theft hours before getting killed by a cop matters a lot given the lack of credible evidence for how the shooting went down. There's a decent chance it had nothing to do with the shooting, but also a decent chance that this kind of person would assault a cop which is far from a rare situation no matter how many times you say "well any rational person wouldn't want to assault a cop just because they think they got fingered for a robbery". People aren't always rational, and some bad decisions come with lethal consequences that I'm not going to disagree with. A few weeks ago somebody shot a bunch of rounds at a cop out their car window after getting pulled over a couple blocks away from me for reckless driving - wasn't a rational decision, but they did it and the cop had every right to kill them (and he didn't).

Separate from that issue is the idea of indicting and prosecuting a police officer, which is far too rare given how egregiously cops can gently caress up and get away with it with a slap on the wrist at most. Again, there are circumstances in this specific case that meant a trial would have accomplished absolutely nothing. Even if, in reality, the cop had screamed RAHOWA until his throat bled while dumping lead into this kid, there's gently caress all evidence to work with. A trial would have had only one possible conclusion and it wouldn't have assuaged anyone's issues with accountability for the police force.

If we get a Rosa Parks-style incident to rally around in modern times it's going to involve a death that everyone can point to and say "This is clearly wrong, the evidence is there, and the system is working against justice for the victim" and it'll probably be effective. This isn't it, but I'm not going to be the person to wish for some poor rear end in a top hat to get martyred so I dunno.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Nov 26, 2014

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Tremblay posted:

Completely agree on your second paragraph. I grew up in a very rural area. The state police were hyper aggressive dbags. The local cops ran the gambit from cool, to completely over the top. I mean that from a department perspective, not individual officer level.

Yeah :(

Mandatory lapel cams would be a big positive step but there's a lot of resistance so it'll take some time to do.

Anyway that was my big realpost on the subject so now I'm going to keep track of that guy who said he was drinking heavily and panicking over the thought of visiting his family for Thanksgiving because of how they'd react over the Brown case. I'm looking forward to the followup E/N post where he describes how he called his dad a fuckboat and got his co-signed car taken away from him.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Bolow posted:

Nah man all of the protesters are super hard chargers like that one idiot in my squadron that reenlisted in the gas chamber sans mask like the hard charging motivator he is

*scurries after 2 tear gas canisters go off in the crowd, goes home and posts twitter updates about how they'll return to stick it to the man tomorrow*

I'm making a difference!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

BexGu posted:

For the web side:

Storage and retention space (How much? What video quality? Black and white or color? How long?)
Indexing and uploading of data after shift (Who does it? Is there additional meta data associated with the video?)
Local server space or remote cloud storage (What is the backup plan? Who is in charge of running it? What is the access protocol?)

That is just off the top of my head. Not even counting the design and UI of the upload and retrieve system.

Albuquerque has had mandatory lapel cams for at least a year because the cops hosed up so much, so they've probably figured out a way to handle it

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Can D&D make it mandatory to put all the meds you're on or should be on in your sig, might clear up some common misconceptions

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

from what i remember the average salary for regional pilots is like $30k

domestic airline jobs in comparison are apparently pretty awesome

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Reverand maynard posted:

please google what tl;dr means

Maybe try using google yourself

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

i keep thinking i'm in d&d when i see this ferguson poo poo here please excuse me

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ActusRhesus are you having fun with mentally ill people giving you a ton of poo poo for having a profession and expertise that gives your thoughts a higher level of credibility than they'll ever manage for the subject at hand

Talk about anti-intellectual conservative thought processes

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Shim gets a refractory period every time he puts out a good one, it's just how it works

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

rude to n4i imo

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yeah that video showed some pretty gangsta poo poo. Doesn't seem like a great move if you think the guy's a maniac with a gun.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Zeroisanumber posted:

How the hell do they keep F-4's in fighting form 35 years after we quit selling them spares?

Inshallah

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Zeroisanumber posted:

Srsly. Jumping out of a moving car to put a few into a 12-year old, even when you're just five to six feet from your target, is good shooting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuNkAMkpVrE

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Best Friends posted:

I like how the exact same people who think government is wasteful are extremely assertive that the pentagon should waste as much money as possible at all times.

Yeah well that's kind of the thing. Govt spending is great if it's spent on the stuff they want (esp military bases and contracts in their district), and big government is extremely good if it's telling people not to have abortions or get gay married

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

lightpole posted:

Is presumption of innocence not a thing anymore even if he most likely is not?

It's a requirement for the court system, not a philosophy for the whole country.

Everybody knows OJ and Casey Anthony did it

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

Only recently have a majority of black Americans accepted that OJ is a murderer.

same

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Two Finger posted:

haha but those guys own, their stories are all some variation of 'a cop pulled me up for doing something illegal and gave me a ticket/arrested me gently caress THE POLICE'

"as a black man, every interaction i've had with the police has involved a gun pressed against my head"

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Courthouse posted:

What's the point of bombing religious fanatics hell bent on dragging their people back into the stone age, into the stone age? They seem to be doing a perfectly good job themselves.

because they won't do it fast enough on their own

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

maffew buildings posted:

Art that doesn't suck donkey dick: that painting of Freddy Merucury, paintings of naked chicks from the 70s, and that badass oil painting of the US commando from Vietnam with an olive bandana and a green face and the sleeveless vest with a ton of dead VC all over and he has his foot up on the pile of dead VC bodies and is lighting a cigarette off the barrel of his M-16

ah yes

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Zeris posted:

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

edit- it's a loving law school. Why are they letting in idiots who aren't ready to play the game? Is this a Columbia thing?

If I take that argument shouldn't all the textbooks come with trigger warnings for all the other times the law has been applied questionably in US history?

I just read about domestic policy during WW2, please postpone my finals whilst I literally shake.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

gently caress the CIA though

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The F-35 is literally the worst acquisition program, right? The tanker acquisition got hosed but seems small potatoes in comparison. There's that Army personnel program that had billions dumped into it for nothing but that still doesn't seem as big of a waste or at least as prominent.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

I'm sure somebody thought the heatsink thing was a really awesome idea at some point.

A decision like that reeks more of desperation. Wonder how they factored that into logistics/availability calculations or if they just assumed somebody would modify the fuel tanks.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ManMythLegend posted:

Even with the loltasticness of the story, my favorite thing about the whole thing is that they had to request a loving waiver from a general so they could paint their loving trucks a new color. That's the sort of cargo cult poo poo I hate about the military. Somehow the rest of the world can operate just fine with trucks and tanks painted all sorts of colors and just labeled properly, but since some checklist somewhere says it needs to be a certain color we have no room for rational loving thought.

i lost my mind when i found out that doing a press release for working with NASA required a 4-star's approval (and thus 3 months of lead time) so we just didn't get to announce anything at all

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Spicy Guacamole posted:

For a comic not written by vets, Oglaf is surprisingly spot-on whenever anything military comes up.

speaking of which read germline

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ActusRhesus posted:

I'm just amused by how many people think I'm a dude based on my posts, and the apparent privilege shown therein.

I've truly reached equality.

I know I've mentioned this before but I honestly get shocked every time I see the amount of verbal abuse people give you. You explain yourself well and you're not saying things that are massively controversial but you constantly get blunt insults and mockery which usually get excused as "I was being hyperbolic, sorry you felt threatened" when someone calls them out.

With Cole I can understand that reaction but you're just someone they disagree with which shouldn't invite that kind of language.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

tuluk posted:

solution: helldump DnD. make DnD posters only able to post there forever. this would gently caress over alot of gip but gently caress it,
you willingly touch the poop.

DnD doesn't really get outside their forum much so that's not actually a problem. Every time they come in here trying to start poo poo it just fizzles out because nobody engages with it.

Now lurkers complaining to mods about GiP behavior is apparently another story

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

TCC has done a lot to make me reconsider my stance on drug use. I used to think life ruining addiction was a hard but long road, but it turns out that plenty of people go from "I want to try heroin/legal Russian research chemical out and I'm going to make sure it doesn't control me" to "I'm homeless and estranged from anyone who ever loved me" within a couple months flat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Two Finger posted:

who was that guy who was taking something, might have been bath salts? and went completely mental found himself homeless and his fiance's father flat out said never to contact her ever again
that was pretty lol

That was the legal Russian research chemical I was referring to. Never mind a couple months, it only took that guy a few days

• Locked thread