Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Syncopated posted:

Must be nice to be a SAS soldier and get to play the part of insurgent instead of fighting them. Excep they have superior equipment and support of course.

Oh no my ambush didn't work

Better call in CAS

What's for lunch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I don't really like CNN that much. I haven't filtered them out entirely but they're set on the lowest setting on Google news before they're completely blocked.

I don't know if they've improved (nor do I really care much) but they used to have their "i-reporters" stories on the front page a lot. Which is basically just a bunch of bloggers doing work for free and posting all sorts of nonsense bullshit.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Saw a group of protesters get on the car ahead of me today on the red line.

They had a big stuffed cop doll with them. Hanging from a stick.

That's a totally rational thing to do.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
They're saying on the radio that protestors are going to try and disrupt the metro system in protest.

They better loving not, I've got places to go.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
CS gas is nasty enough when you know you're about to be hit with it.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Every now and then I'll have a huge lapse in judgement and do a short effortpost on something small in another subforum. It will then get quoted and argued back and fourth for no reason.

I posted in the OSHA thread about how mine removal works and how vulnerable tanks are to IEDs. You know, because I did mine removal in Korea and counter-IED stuff in Iraq. Cue two pages of derails, including someone that links an official army publication stating how tanks were the greatest thing during the initial invasion of Iraq. Yes, thank you for proving that of the roughly 9 year conflict, tanks were great in the initial 2 weeks.

loving goons.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I've been told that I don't understand how institutional racism works, or the perils of homelessness.

I have a masters in sociology and I worked for a homeless shelter before my current job :wtc:

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Is anyone else greatly amused that OPEC is putting the screws to Russia by not cutting production?

Getting a serious bear and the dragon vibe off the whole thing.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm a big fan of lapel cameras. Not only can you see if a police involved shooting is justified, you can get some sick liveleak footage out of the deal.

Edit: yes, I'm fully aware of the logistics involved

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Have the recorders automatically upload their contents when they're placed on a charging station, to a secure location. Have access logs and make the content read-only and non-deletable.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Tremblay posted:

What you've outlined sounds simple. However the care and feeding of that system is not. Thats the part of IT that most people don't understand. Who is going to regularly review the logs? Maintenance contracts on the storage? Network infrastructure? Plan, design, implement it? Cloud storage? If so security policies? Backup/disaster recovery plan? What needs to be done to make sure the footage is admissible if required? Indexing system/meta data? Who adds the info? How do they add it? How is it verified? Who writes that standard? COTS or custom development?

I'm not being a dick. Things like this aren't as simple as saying make it so (unless a butt load of funding comes with the command). Oh and people that actually know what the hell they are doing. There is a reason IT consulting is big business...

It sounds simple because I'm talking broad strokes, not fine details like who is going to janitor the infrastructure. You don't need to get into the minutiae because we aren't responding to an RFP, we're nerds on the Internet.

Only person that should have access are the evidence officer and the DA, probably.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

joat mon posted:

In order to protect the privacy of citizens who are perhaps involuntarily interacting with police, or to protect the police from transparency?

You as a citizen issue a formal complaint, video gets used by IA/whoever to verify conduct.

You as an officer have to do anything beyond talking to people, video gets used by the DA as evidence.

Nothing happens or no complaints, video rots in the cloud or wherever.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Psh, some dude did it without going to law school how big of a deal can it be.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
At least we finally get to see what wins those age old Cold War disputes now.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
They're probably hoping Kurdistan becomes a real country so they can invade it without risking the wrath of the US.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Good thing my industry is completely immune from DoD cutbacks and is projected to grow like crazy for the next decade+

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Government spends money on the wrong things a lot. There's plenty of wiggle room on what qualifies as the wrong thing, though.

My industry is standing up an entire healthcare system inside the DoD because fixing the VA is so hard that it's cheaper and faster to just build a new one instead :lol:

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

AgentSythe posted:

Buddy, you aren't joking about VA. Are you with TAP, by any chance (if you an say)?

I am not.

It's pretty hilarious though, by uh probably mid 2018 the DoD will have an entire medical infrastrcture that's superior to the VA that was built from the ground up in roughly 10 years.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

iverson posted:

Does this new organisation take over for the existing VA or will they run (or not run) in tandem?

The general idea (that I am horribly paraphrasing for a number of reasons) is that the DoD is developing their health infrastructure to basically replace the VA in the early parts of the caregiving cycle. Basically no matter the injury, if you sustained it while you're on AD, the DoD wants to handle it. Once your condition has reached the point where the general mass incompetence of the VA can do the job, they hand you over. This method is both considerably cheaper and faster than trying to improve the situation with the VA.

The new military health infrastructure is so amazingly different from any previous DoD initiatives it's hard to believe Uncle Sam is behind it. We still have an incredible amount of work to do though. The general idea is that when the next big war breaks out, we might actually be prepared for it this time. It also paves the way for the VA to maybe possibly exit the general healthcare fields in the like mid-2020s.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Accretionist posted:

Why's the VA so hosed anyways? Is someone trying to kill it or something?

It's saddled with an obscene amount of political baggage and a mandate to cover a huge spectrum of care without the resources to do it.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Obviously they'll gently caress it up eventually, which is not only not my problem, I'll actually probably make more money when they do.

Thankfully we are just setting up infrastructure and not designing jets or something. The budget itself is non-discretionary funding.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Zeris posted:

~The circle of DODlife~

no regrets

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
At least what I do ends up helping lots of folks I guess :unsmith:

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

CBJSprague24 posted:

Today's the anniversary of Pearl Harbor.

In the opinions of GIP, if 9/11 is Kill Browns Day, is today Here Is Why The Bomb Was Worth It Day?

9/11 is thanks for the free school day.

Pearl Harbor is 'call your grandpa' day.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I kinda know one of the pilots that flew the 71 and he tells the best goddamn stories. By kinda know I mean I was introduced to him at a social event and I stood around while he told cool SR-71 stories.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

MEDS CURE SCHIZOS posted:

http://www.intelligence.senate.gov/study2014/sscistudy1.pdf

Senate Intelligence Committee Report on the CIA just came out. Read it and GiP.

This is America, someone go and snag some highlights for me.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I would be mostly mad at the CIA for doing dumb things to people who didn't know anything in the first place. That's hosed up, yo.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

MEDS CURE SCHIZOS posted:

Just scroll to a random page for your :patriot: highlights. It's like bobbing for water.

I'm on my phone in a meeting, lol at loading a 499 page PDF on it right now.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

holocaust bloopers posted:

Vasudus didn't like it when I reported Cole for whatever.

You're not supposed to punish the village idiot for being an idiot, you're supposed to laugh at him.

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Vasudus didn't always do a good job. :ssh:

But mostly this.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
My political views are mostly centrist. According to D&D I don't exist.

Have I been...othered?!

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I am perfectly okay with "Kick their rear end and take their gas" if we could adequately kick their rear end, or successfully take their gas.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I still find the fact that he brought the wrong flag to the party loving hilarious.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Potential BFF posted:

What's the average kill count on a drone strike? Definitely less than 130+ and hellfires aren't free so thanks for the future cost savings, Pakistan.

Average is like, 6? For at least 100k for the hellfire. Not a very good cost ratio.

Unless it's a wedding, then it's like 80.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Getting shot in the head and continuing to carry on anyway is pretty metal.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Somewhere buried deep in SIPR is a memorandum I wrote that involves who is responsible for burning da poop that week. It is classified because I was not paying attention to which computer I was using when I wrote and printed it.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I loving love all those NSA smilies

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
They use a custom Linux setup called Red Star or some poo poo. 100% serious.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I thank my lucky stars that all the times I fired warning shots at civs I never had a bad ricochet. Because seriously what the gently caress. I've seen/heard some absolutely insane things happen with those.

The correct way to handle a crowd is to pull out your 9mm anyway. Iraqis will flip you the bird if you've got a full squad of rifles and a 50 pointed at them, but pull out a 9mm and poo poo gets real.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Yeah it's a status/"you gone and hosed up now son" type thing. It didn't work every time, but playing off the fear of the past regime is really effective at crowd management over there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

FISTS CURE WOMEN posted:

That pistol thing is not true and anyone who says different is a loving liar, on par with some brit saying he bayonetted people while clearing houses.

lol

I bet it does jack poo poo now. But it worked (most of the time) when Iraqis thought all marines had to kill their family to join or that nods are literally magic. Or any of the other fifty million things they would believe.

I question your faith in the average Iraqi civilian intelligence.

• Locked thread