Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

https://twitter.com/MackMcHaleACN/status/537071111364960256

:lol: This. This is a big reason why no one takes a majority of the protesters seriously.

"Stop talking about the evidence, facts have no place here!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Neither side of this has a monopoly on stupid.

Pretty much. It's like people forgot what nuanced opinions are.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

ActusRhesus posted:

yuck.

I really have zero tolerance for police or prosecutor misconduct.

But there's a big difference between saying "police should be held accountable" with which I agree and "police are never actually in danger in their jobs and so they should have to keep their guns locked in the console" (which someone actually suggested.)

Pretty much how I feel about the whole thing.

I mean, correct me if I'm wrong (which is likely, as I'm not a cop nor a prosecutor), and maybe it's just cause I grew up in a different jurisdiction, but isn't it pretty much SOP that anytime someone is shot and killed by on-duty cop, a grand jury is summoned (or something of that sort) to ensure it was justified?

Cause I mean, I had to deal with people screaming that Wilson wasn't outright indicted for murder when this all first happened, and explaining to them that there is a process that needs to be followed (and I'll admit, I thought process was pretty loving flawed in this case, as well as how the GJ was handled) before that step is even considered just got me more cries of "YEAH WHAT THE gently caress EVER YOU RACIST COP LOVER" :rolleyes:

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Nov 26, 2014

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

joat mon posted:

Only rarely is there any process external to the law enforcement agency to determine whether a shoot was justified.

There is usually an internal process at the law enforcement agency to determine that a shoot was justified.

Ah, that makes sense then. I just recalled a shooting that happened in my hometown a few years back. It was ruled justified, but the DA's office investigated it and convened a GJ and I was told it was the SOP by someone I worked with (who had worked with the State Police at one point but has said questionable things before).

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

CBJSprague24 posted:

This is pretty much America.txt, really.

It was painful watching people post comments on Captain Sully's Facebook page, for example, when he talked about the "safety benefits" of upping commercial airline pilot flight time minimums to a hard floor of 1500 hours because of a 2009 crash in Buffalo. "AW, THANKS SULLY, THOSE DUMBASS ROOKIE PILOTS THAT BACK PLANES INTO THE GROUND FOR SOMETHIN' TO DO* SHOULDN'T BE ALLOWED TO FLY EVER!!!" and "YOU SURE KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKIN' ABOUT, I DON'T LIKE FLYING SO THIS IS A GOOD THING" made my blood boil from people who clearly had no idea what the gently caress they were talking about, while the few that DID have some knowledge and disagreed were looked at like they were some sort of monster.

*- The last human-error related commercial airline crash with at least one pilot with less than 1,500 hours flight time at the controls was in 1989. The only one involving an airliner since was in 2004, and that happened on a ferry flight where the two pilots dicked around trying to reach the service ceiling of the plane and compressor stalled both engines. The crash in Buffalo involved pilots who had 3300 and 2500 hours respectively. :eng101:

Wasn't he also testifying in front of congress about how lovely pilots are paid and treated for their first few years (esp. as regional pilots) and demanding better regulations and oversight?

I mean, that seemed a reasonable thing to be asking for. I won't pretend to have knowledge about the 1500 hours thing, but pretty sure the two pilots in that Buffalo crash were talking about how much they were getting dicked over by their company a few minutes before the crash and he seemed pretty sympathetic to that.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Best Friends posted:

Here is one of the greatest interrogators of all time, maybe the best:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanns_Scharff

Note the total lack of actual torture.

We also had this guy and his team help pin down al-Zarqawi's location in Iraq as well.

All without using torture.

Fucitol posted:

i am still cool with forcing enhanced interrogation methods on their apologists.

imagining half the cast and crew of fox and friends glubbing down the water cooler while their interns hold them down is pretty :lol:-y

i guess that technically makes me a torture supporter, but i think my goal is noble.

:911:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Obama Africanus posted:

I guess I didn't "do" the whole post-GWOT thing right then, but then again I'm not PNG with the worlds scariest people.. So.. :shrug: Whatever happened to quiet professionals man? Wait 15-20 years, ya know? How many dudes from 6 have claimed they took the shot on OBL now? 4? I bet 3 of them have written books or consulted on one of the newer movies. It's weird to me when I see my seemingly long over and done with already fought wars being cashed in on in so many books and movies now. My guess is that this is a trend that's gonna increase as the Vietnam generation begins to truly die over the next 5-15 years.

Learn something new every day. That book being bullshit or not though, I still stand by the assertion that using torture was a loving horseshit idea.

zombie303 posted:

Yeah, monday morning quarterbacking that poo poo is a loving blast.

:thurman:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Holy poo poo at the victim blaming on that woman with her baby getting shot.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Genocide Tendency posted:

DIdn't people demand to be paid in Vodka at that time?

Or did I dream that?

They didn't demand that, that's what all they had to pay people with in some fields.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Dead Reckoning posted:

You're talking about these guys, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEbgAB269ik

They're certainly something.

P sure that dog unit got demobbed after the last famine.

• Locked thread