Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
YES YES YES YES YES YES

I saw this in the chat thread and I was really hoping you'd make a thread about it. Subscribed for sure.

Edit: please live close to Richmond VA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Sperglord Firecock posted:

It's a lovely mexican hoodie.

And my dad has a terrible camera on his phone.

Yes, I'm living in my parent's basement for the moment, after returning from the Navy.

Thread title justified.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

:siren: OH poo poo I'M OVERSTEERING WHAT DO I DO :siren:

The most succinct way I can tell you how to very safely drive RWD in the snow or really in any oversteer situation (please understand oversteer if you don't already) is:

Hands
Try to disconnect the front wheels from the rest of the car in your mind. Your hands are controlling your front wheels regardless of what the back wheels are doing, and you need to keep them pointed exactly where you want to go. Realize that when the body starts to rotate, the wheels will be in the same place relative to the body unless you move the wheel. With practice you'll be able to accurately "feel out" where the front wheels are while you're oversteering.

Feet
Once you feel the rear end beginning to get away from you, the ONLY pedal you should press in is the clutch. DO NOT hit the brake, DO NOT hit the gas (unless you're having fun spinning everywhere). Keep the clutch pressed in until you are sure the rear end is done loving about. Braking will make things worse. Accelerating will make things "worse". With practice, accelerating makes things more fun, but only when we've learned to control being out of control.

Eyes
As with motorcycles, look where you want to go, not what you're trying to avoid. If you're staring at that light pole, trying to avoid it, you're gonna go straight for the light pole.

This has been Oversteer 101 with your friendly neighbor Adiabatic.

Edit: Snow is great for learning how to control oversteer, because it's possible to oversteer a lot easier, and everything happens in slow motion with less input. Just, for gods' sake, in whatever you do, give yourself PLENTY of stopping distance.

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Nov 24, 2014

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

The "intake valve" looked pretty generic? Do what now?

"Tricked out WRX" and "knows his stuff" don't sound great together. He's right about the fuel pressure gauge, but I have no idea what he's talking about in regards to a generic "intake valve" that you'd be able to spot with a quick glance, aside from maybe the throttle body?

Here's a great lesson: be wary of anyone standing in / working at autozone that "knows his stuff".

Oh also yeah, you could always test across the poles with a voltmeter, but in all likelihood it was an old battery with about half the cold-cranking amps it came with new. Cold weather and old batteries don't mix well, despite what my mother says while putting them in the freezer :rolleyes:

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Nov 25, 2014

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

From the looks of it, the PO did. That negative terminal connector is straight off a NAPA shelf.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Not sure on the specifics of this car, but on most of them there's a plastic wing nut looking plug on the bottom of the radiator. If there isn't, just pull the lower radiator hose.

Edit: gently caress you Viggen!!!!!

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Whats the gauge on the passenger side of your engine bay read while you're doing this?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

When it cranks, does it:

A. Crank forever with no sounds of it "catching"
B. Crank, sputter almost to life or sputter like it's trying to turn on, but doesn't stay running
or
C. Crank, start running, but immediately die?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Yeah check fuel pressure.

Edit: would help if that gauge were functional :downs:

Edit edit: VVVVVV He's got an in-line gauge on the passenger side, if you look at the first pic in the OP.

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Dec 6, 2014

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Many times pressure gauges are liquid filled. I'd see if it does anything when you try cranking.

Edit: See if it registers when you have the key to on but the engine off. If it does, tell us the number.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

I mean technically we were right about the low fuel pressure :downs:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

InitialDave posted:

If this were a war movie, right about now is where you tell us you can't wait to finish your tour, so you can go home to marry the sweetest gal in Illinois and start up a restaurant selling down-home cooking, just like your pappy.

Perfectly frames the dread and/or schadenfreude I'm feeling in this thread.

poo poo, if I'M feeling dread you know something's wrong.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

TAKE PICTURES OF YOUR drat ENGINE BAY ALREADY THIS IS LIKE THE AI SLOW MOTION THREAD

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

OP go for it. I had a shoe-horned M30 engine in an E30 named Oliver and it was equal parts horrifying and the best car ever. This is automotive insanity and we love this poo poo and damnit you will too.

The guy before you did a lot of stuff on the cheap to make power and that poo poo is going to break a lot in a lovely succession. You seem to be cool with this for now and worst case you cut your losses. Cool.

Here's the thing. We want to help, but you have to do some loving leg work or we're just going to berate the poo poo out of you. This is one big character building exercise that you'll eventually get to talk down to your kids about if you just put in some drat effort. Get a mechanics tool set ASAP and start asking us what you need to fix. Talk with us. Get a game plan going because right now you look like a sheep sitting on the 80/90 staring at one of those double trailer fedex trucks driven by equal parts 13 inch dick and a dude that's been on meth for 36 hours.

AI and the people in it are the best resource for crazy fucks like you and me and kastein and slow is fast and all these idiots on a tarp in sub zero weather swapping engines for fun. Some dumbass just spent his Saturday taking pictures of your car for us and trying to teach you how to learn manual. We aren't seeing much from you though. Start putting in effort. Proactivity. Own this poo poo. Break poo poo. Learn by doing. Help us help you or we'll just piss in the goon well.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Do what now.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

IM SORRY I COULDNT HEAR YOU WHAT WAS THAT

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

I have no idea how to check that.

In other news, first time someone changed my pic and message!

I AM getting slightly annoyed at the ever-changing "FIX IT DON'T FIX IT" theme of the thread, though.

For the person asking about an Emergency Fund, I do in fact have one of those, so I'm not particularly worried about that. Navy left me with a pretty good financial safety net.

Quoting for posterity.

Everyone, this is a Slow Motion response. Note how he gives one line to the matter at hand, only to say he has no idea about it and does not show any initiative to learn about it.

He uses the rest of the reply to combat attacks against his ego and point out our one discord in the unity that is "quit being a baby and put effort in".

Hello AI SloMo.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Fucknag posted:

Turn the pulleys while the belt's off and see if any of them feel wrong (hard to turn, grinding, loose/wobbling feeling, etc).

This, also make sure all the pulleys are in alignment. Who knows what kind of junk the PO could've put on just to get it running to sell.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

I've done a lot more with a lot less. Sounds like a good haul.

poo poo, I probably pulled that engine out of the S2000 with about what you have right now, plus a jack and some stands.

Point is, it's what you do with them. While it may not be ideal, you can basically do everything you need to with what you have now.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Cold sucks. Heat superiority.

Just buy a high cfm fan and resign yourself to sweating and suddenly it's incredibly enjoyable.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Adiabatic posted:

OP go for it. I had a shoe-horned M30 engine in an E30 named Oliver and it was equal parts horrifying and the best car ever. This is automotive insanity and we love this poo poo and damnit you will too.

The guy before you did a lot of stuff on the cheap to make power and that poo poo is going to break a lot in a lovely succession. You seem to be cool with this for now and worst case you cut your losses. Cool.

Here's the thing. We want to help, but you have to do some loving leg work or we're just going to berate the poo poo out of you. This is one big character building exercise that you'll eventually get to talk down to your kids about if you just put in some drat effort. Get a mechanics tool set ASAP and start asking us what you need to fix. Talk with us. Get a game plan going because right now you look like a sheep sitting on the 80/90 staring at one of those double trailer fedex trucks driven by equal parts 13 inch dick and a dude that's been on meth for 36 hours.

AI and the people in it are the best resource for crazy fucks like you and me and kastein and slow is fast and all these idiots on a tarp in sub zero weather swapping engines for fun. Some dumbass just spent his Saturday taking pictures of your car for us and trying to teach you how to learn manual. We aren't seeing much from you though. Start putting in effort. Proactivity. Own this poo poo. Break poo poo. Learn by doing. Help us help you or we'll just piss in the goon well.

This post I made 9 pages and 26 days ago is still relevant. Also we're still in the same spot. Re-read and take action.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Thread title should change.

"I Can't Even Make A Series Of Bad Choices"

Edit: Or, you know, the obvious one I just missed... "My. Willful. Ignorance. Kicks. In."

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jan 16, 2015

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

leica posted:

Jesus Christ shut up. He needs an E30 like he needs a hole in his loving head.

revmoo posted:

Things you should not buy:
Any BMW

Disagreeing with this. E30s are dead nuts simple and reliable. They make great first cars.

The only reason you shouldn't buy one is price. They have a following and their cost is representative of that. If you can find a cheap one that isn't haggered to gently caress, jump on it because you'll love it.

Edit: Unless you mean "Don't buy one because you'll destroy it" :v:

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jan 23, 2015

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

rscott posted:

I'm not anti E30 I'm anti telling someone who knows jack poo poo about them to fly 1500 miles to the pnw to buy a sketchy one and then drive it back, especially when they're quoting circa 2008 prices for everything

Isn't that blanket for all cars, though?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

HEY VAPER posted:

whatever you do, buy something simple and naturally aspirated.

E30. Miata. Mustang GT.

These were the cars chosen to create the perfect little projects

But Professor Sperglord accidentally added an extra ingredient to the concoction --

Chemical FeO2

Thus, the PowderFrame Cars were born!

Using their ultra-passive weight reduction, they've dedicated their frames

to fighting reliability and the forces of induction!

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

... It's not? Okay, then that might be a Z18ET engine in there.

Nope. Follow the intake from the left side of the engine. Big silver thing is the intake manifold. Move from there towards the front of the car, it goes 90° towards the drivers side in front of the engine and then connects to that short chode-like piece of ugly blue silicon hose, then the weird flat black plastic intake box thing in front of the engine, then a 90 down and a 90 to the driver front corner where the black air filter box is. If there were a turbo you'd see a snail in that line somewhere.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Really, why doesn't Sperglord just get a 240sx?

He could get one that's been SR20 swapped or he could do it himself after he learns about them. Pretty neat cars to work on and very straightforward.

It'll be tough to find a good, unmolested one, but they're out there and his price range is on point for one.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/cto/4853081610.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/4861329515.html

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/4855560309.html

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jan 24, 2015

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/4858076957.html

Pretty much fits the bill, looks like. Unfuckered with, the mods that have been done to it are (according to him) easily removable, nothing's stupid and obnoxious on the outside of the car, and it looks like I've got room to fiddle with it if need be.

Well there ya go. That looks perfect!

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Might see if you can bribe 13" with some booze or money

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

I dunno if this'll make much sense because I'm about halfway into a bottle of scotch or not, but I'll give it a shot anyways.

It's about the American Dream. The idea that a young man can take a lovely-rear end car from far before he was born and turn it into something awesome, that driving fast isn't a sin, but an expression of that underlying heart and desire to do something worthwhile, to burn at the max capacity, that truly defines a person, rather than their willingness to just settle for second best or to just do the safe option.

I'm tired of doing the safe option, I'm tired of being the responsible young adult making all the safe and society-accepted choices as to the car I drive and how I drive it. I had enough of that poo poo in the Navy, every single day I was told, "DON'T DO THIS OR ELSE YOUR LIFE WILL FALL APART". I want to go fast. I want to swing around corners like a madman, and I want people to question my sanity every time I get into my car. I want to run at full power until I can't anymore, and then, maybe then, I'll get the car that's the safe option. Then, I'll get the lovely Honda Civic or other such option that lies in my future. For now, I want to make decisions that won't affect me too greatly in the future, because goddammit, now is the time to make them, rather than 10 years down the line when I have a family at stake, and I won't be able to make them.

Now's the time, or else I'm not gonna be able to anymore.

Jesus Christ this is the AI Slow Motion thread.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Quite honestly, a lot of people have the wrong idea, and lemme clear this up.

Euphoria is experienced most firmly at the state of a curve at 80+mph and you don't know if you're gonna end up at the end of the turn safe or not.

The Foxbody Mustangs are neat, and lemme make this clear, very very neat, but I dunno how they handle on a high speed curve without for sure spinning out and killing me.

As much as you might recommend me a nice neat Honda Civic or a Saturn Shitbody (I dunno), I really don't want any of those. I want something that is a bad decision that I can drive like a madman and swing around corners, because I know for a fact that the next 20+ years of my life is gonna be a miserable experience of marriage, dealing with it, and loving about with silly cars whose handling I am going to hate and am going to wish was better just for the sake of getting around a corner at 60+mph. I know what I am getting into, because I expect having a silly car project for the rest of my life. Because if I accepted anything else, I'd be selling myself short. I know that I can handle getting a solid car up and running around spring time, and if any of you have any doubts as to that, shove it up your drat arse.

I want a bad decision now so I don't make one later when I want to go fast and I don't know how much work goes into it.

So this is what it feels like to be taken for a ride by a troll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

skylineboy08 posted:

I full disclosure sold adiabatic an 89 7 series with a jacked up transmission after his s2000 got totaled and he still snow drifted it and tore it apart. RIP broomhilda its not always the POs fault

Jackass

• Locked thread