Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
There are a poo poo ton of FWD beaters between the years of 1996 and 2003 everywhere you can get for cheap as hell and get good gas mileage don't be dumb.

Comedy RWD option:
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/4768496858.html

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Nov 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
that's probably because it sold within an hour of the posting at that price

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Other than being dead reliable sharing a ton of parts with the tercel and parts/gas being dead cheap nothing really. It makes all of 80whp and is about 2000lbs. Also that one is even a bit too rusty for me. It has slightly larger brakes than the tercel as well. Storage room leaves something to be desired but I managed to fit four tires plus tools into it well enough. Rear suspension is a solid beam which can make for some uneasy turns at speed. It's a fun little car in the snow with a set of ok winter tires but I wouldn't unironically recommend it to anyone.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Nov 25, 2014

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Sperglord Firecock posted:

To be honest, the Passeo is looking fantastic.

I've done some really dumb stuff with the C150 manual transmission and it hasn't given me any issues yet so that's another plus. I would imagine doing the same things on an SC2 or ZX2 transmission would shatter the differential. Being able to beat on a car mindlessly and have it still run like the day you bought it is a neat thing in a way. (Major credit to the goons that helped me with the car though, I'm sure it would have broken down at some point without their hard work)

Still that example is really really rusty.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Nov 25, 2014

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
What's the fun in owning a car you are afraid or can't afford to drive?

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

AncientTV posted:

Why is this?

The car will decelerate faster in a lower gear as I am sure you know. If the car is going 65 mph and gets off at an exit for example a switch to 3rd halfway between the exit and an intersection will allow the engine to do more of the braking work.

e: If you're lazy like me and your pedals are in strange positions letting off the brake quickly to apply a throttle blip instead of doing a heel toe shift is common.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Nov 28, 2014

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
feel good thread of the year

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Kastein's post might seem abrasive but honestly he's telling the truth and only trying to help you.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

1987 Nissan Pulsar NX for 1500

It also has a "Rebuilt" motor, HIDZZZ, foglights, DRLs, LED turn signals, improperly sized no-brand wheels, "amp hookup and subz", etc. At least have a goon check it out with you before you buy some electronics clusterfuck. Also the owner not including if it's an XE or an SE is a huge red flag because a difference of 52hp is kind of relevant.

You're like some sort of magnet for cars POs have hosed with tremendously despite not having any of the knowledge of how to unfuck them. There are so many bone stock Prizms (Corollas) in your area for ~$1000-$2000. An FWD shitbox is an FWD shitbox and you'll appreciate having space to actually store/move poo poo and carry more than one passenger. In addition parts for a 1987 pulsar are not exactly the easiest things to come by because not that many were sold in the US and have still survived. Being able to get parts off of like 5 different cars, many of which have 3-4 examples at a junkyard is no small benefit.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 22, 2014

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Unless there's some common problem with this year of Sunfire
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/4792975789.html

also
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/4809538728.html
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/4806098023.html

Coupes are loving dumb as appliance cars but
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/4812686318.html
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/4798044786.html

At the sub-2000 price point everything will have some flaws here and there but it's a beater so who cares.

Alternatively if you can scrounge some extra cash:
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/4805744610.html

Even if you have to get a loan from a family member or some poo poo there's something to be said for having reliable transport around while you fumble with the soul synchro machine. Worst case scenario the appliance car can be sold.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Dec 22, 2014

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

4: sell it and buy a turbo II

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Also, because I was pestered to over and over by my family, I called up the shop that replaced the alternator belt for me last time and told me "Yeah, should be good to go", and left them an annoyed-sounding message.

Try being polite instead of giving them the impression you're going to be a pain in the rear end.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Goons told me to do things and I did them and am very happy with my vehicle as a result A+++. Why do you not do the things Goons told you to do OP?

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Would be pretty funny if it was just the exhaust hangers. Also buy some ramps so it takes like 2 minutes to get under your car to do anything not requiring jack stands.

so instead of

when I can get under the car to figure it out

it's whenever you feel like getting under the car

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

To be honest, the one car that I wanted more than anything else was an AE86, but finding one of those in the Chicagoland area without structural problems.... Hoo boy, now that would be a challenge.

What do you think an 80s corolla will do you for you that a miata won't other than anime?

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Why not just get a cheap generic shitbox to learn to work on instead of PO hosed rusted out nightmares?

Because it might mean he can spend more time driving the car instead of working on it. Knowing for example if I break an axle I can get another for $30-50 is easy insurance to drive the piss out of the car. Having several examples of a vehicle at junkyards is insanely helpful. Not having to give a poo poo about dings or scuffs here and there is wonderful.

Maybe it's some dumb internet car board meme but the advice "The most important part in a car is the nut behind the wheel." seems to be on target.

It's all subjective though and a lot of people want a car for image instead of utility. Watching a beat up bright orange rattlecanned FB RX7 show up at the AutoX sounding mad as hell is a pretty cool image though.

Fantastic website about a guy who rallies of all things a na dodge neon: rallynotes.com

HEY VAPER posted:

You're right. 10 years ago. Have you seen the kind of condition a used corolla is in these days?

Much like any common used car there are good examples and bad examples.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jan 23, 2015

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Seat Safety Switch posted:

My suggestion is now to buy the newest Celica you can find. It's a perfect car. Sporty-looking, easy to work on, comfortable, reliable, mechanically tough and relatively inexpensive.

Perhaps you can answer this question as it has been irritating me. Why is the RSX Type-S a good $3000-4000 more expensive than the Celica GTS? The Sentra SE-R Spec V's lower price makes more sense because of the notorious catalytic converter failures throwing chunks of metal into the cylinders. Is it the usual case of less aftermarket availability for the Toyota vehicle? Is it the oil consumption issues of the 2ZZ-GE?

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

G-Mach posted:

3000GT VR4.

evo 5 from canada with a mirage vin swap

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jan 24, 2015

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

it seems to me that the vast majority of American cars have poo poo handling, and can't get around a corner to save their lives.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Results from the stock AWD class at the rallyx, first/last column are car/total time in seconds. A bunch of japanese cars got spanked by an S10 driver because spoilers the driver is the most important part of a car not an idiotic fetish for hanzo steel folded 1000 times.

Also a Ford R2 Fiesta was 4th overall in rally of the tall pines 2014. Maybe brute statistics will somehow prove to yon sperglord or some other weeb domestic vehicles are quite capable. Though we are talking to someone who generalizes vehicles based on location of the brand.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jan 26, 2015

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

ACEofsnett posted:

We friendly NEAI goons did help an aspiring young autist (through IRC and real life mechanical assistance) through the trials and travails of owning and randomly hacking things off a paseo in sperg-fueled fits of daring-do. In this case, although eventually banned from our IRC channel for continual attention grabbing fits of nutty rage, the young man in question learned from his mistakes and has now offered good advice in this very thread.

Noone is beyond redemption. Well, I mean, Sperglord is. Look at those pants. Seriously.

I've never had more fun in my life and it wouldn't be possible without all the awesome goon help. :glomp:

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

BurgerQuest posted:

Any updates?

http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/cto/4884647950.html

• Locked thread