Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Naval Action is an Age of Sail sim that is currently in Early Access. If you preordered it, you got in to the Alpha, and got a free yacht out of it.

Think of it like all the best parts of Assassin's Creed 4 at sea, with a strong does of :spergin: added in.

You can get info here: http://www.navalaction.com/

:siren: Early Access Steam Page :siren:

New to the game?

Here are some helpful tips. Most importantly, learn how to sail manually!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQBeiMcm65k

And for boarding actions, follow this totally easy guide :downs:

Unofficial but helpful Wiki: http://navalaction.wikia.com/wiki/NavalAction_Wikia

It's planned to be extremely detailed, and there's all sorts of neat things like different cannon to attach, and of course ball, chain, grapeshot, and double loads for ammo. Sailing is very well done, and you can either use the automatic sailing master, or actually adjust sails per mast, &c.

The UI isn't the best, yet, but it's the last thing the devs are going to work on. They want the game itself to be solid first.

Here's a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhwohcobLao

And some screenshots I took:

Here's the Lynx (which I've actually been on IRL):

You start out with this and a yacht. As you win victories, you move up to bigger and better ships:

Here's a lighthouse I've spotted through my glass:

And the French fleet!

I've ranged in my guns:

The French have taken a fort (that will look better in future releases):

Unfortunately for my crew, we've been sunk :(

UI Shot:

Important Threads on the NA Forums
* Complete Guide to Naval Action
* Controls and keybinds
* The UI Explained

Current Ships
See the Wiki above.

Signal Flags

NGHpnotiq posted:

Lumbering Troll was kind enough to make a permanent channel in CST for us, it is simply called "Naval Action" and listed alphabetically under games.

Here is a Link to Camping the Stairs

Goon clans!
The currently official clan is the Gentleman's Armed Yacht Club with the tag [GAY]. They are pirates, which means they get to kill everyone including one another in true Goon fashion. For an invite, contact:

Galaga
Scoots
Bonnycastle
BrosifBallin
Obama
Bill Wilson
Stevefin
James T Skoll
Truga
Leo Showers

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Feb 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Wow, this actually looks pretty good.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Describe it a bit more in depth please, like what the mechanics and goals are.

Thanks!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Well, the goals are pretty simply to sink or capture enemy vessels. In both PVE and PVP mode, it's a team effort. You can get up to 6 ships per side, and then sail towards one another and hopefully win the day.

As for mechanics, there's a standard WASD setup for the autosailing. You use the mouse and spacebar for firing, either single guns or whole broadsides. You can have the crew focus on sailing, gunnery, or survival (which helps you repair faster and pump water).

Your hull can take damage, as can your guns, and that leads to leaks and less shooting respectively. Your sails can also be damaged (usually with chain shot) which makes them less effective.

There's a boarding mechanic, but I don't believe it's fully implemented yet. At any rate I haven't been able to try it, I ended up smashing in to the other ship and then sinking instead.

But I took them with me!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

How arcade-like is it? You compared it to Asscreed; can I fire 5 broadsides a minute and make other ships explode in 2 shots?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

No, this is much more realistic.

I compared it only because it's the most recent sailing game I could think of, and it also uses WASD.

It takes some time to reload the cannons, although the exact number depends on the size of the cannon, your crew's focus, and how many there are.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Colonial Air Force posted:

Well, the goals are pretty simply to sink or capture enemy vessels. In both PVE and PVP mode, it's a team effort. You can get up to 6 ships per side, and then sail towards one another and hopefully win the day.

As for mechanics, there's a standard WASD setup for the autosailing. You use the mouse and spacebar for firing, either single guns or whole broadsides. You can have the crew focus on sailing, gunnery, or survival (which helps you repair faster and pump water).

Your hull can take damage, as can your guns, and that leads to leaks and less shooting respectively. Your sails can also be damaged (usually with chain shot) which makes them less effective.

There's a boarding mechanic, but I don't believe it's fully implemented yet. At any rate I haven't been able to try it, I ended up smashing in to the other ship and then sinking instead.

But I took them with me!

So is it set up like world of sailboats? I saw mention of an open world so I was wondering what it'd be like.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I posted a video to the OP that should help explain combat, although the UI is a little different now.

xthetenth posted:

So is it set up like world of sailboats? I saw mention of an open world so I was wondering what it'd be like.

No, I think it's much bigger than, say, World of Warships. From the website:

quote:

Naval Action will feature one of the largest sandbox maps in history of age of sail games. You will be able to write your own story by building the trading or military empires for their nations or guilds. Because game will not have levels or classes you will have full control over your fate and character development.

It's not there yet in Alpha, so far it's been the same basic open sea with an island "map". But the idea is to have it much more free form. Eventually there will be forts and land batteries, as well as ship fires, splinter damage to the crew, &c.

E: This may help also http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/558-questions-to-developers/

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Can I play this game on a Mac? The website doesn't say, which probably means no.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

withak posted:

Can I play this game on a Mac? The website doesn't say, which probably means no.

quote:

Tech requirements: Game requires video cards with full DX11 support, Windows 7 or above, optimal memory 4GB RAM or more.

And I haven't seen anything on their forums about alternate clients.

E: Also added screens, &c., to the OP.

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Nov 23, 2014

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Been following this game for awhile, looks interesting.

I like naval combat well enough, but reading books like the Aubrey-Maturin series makes me wish there was more involved with these sorts of games than sailing around and firing cannons.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I want this. The website's not super clear though - if I preorder now, do I get to play the alpha now, or do I have to wait for a wave of invitations to be sent, or what?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I was looking at their website last week, and came here and searched and was surprised there wasn't a thread. I'm tired of dealing with alpha/beta nonsense so even if I buy in early, I doubt that I'll play until it's at or at least quite near release, but good to see interest here. Last sailing game I played was Pirates of the Burning Seas, and that's been a while.

It certainly does look good, I hope the implementation is done well, I think there could be a nice market for a semi-realistic sailing simulation from the age of sail era that involves some good cannon fire.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

pixelbaron posted:

Been following this game for awhile, looks interesting.

I like naval combat well enough, but reading books like the Aubrey-Maturin series makes me wish there was more involved with these sorts of games than sailing around and firing cannons.

The plan is to have shipping and the like, although they've not been very clear on what that entails. I don't think you'll be murdering any French spies and then operating on a guy with a splinter in his brain, but there will be more to it than just combat.

AlphaDog posted:

I want this. The website's not super clear though - if I preorder now, do I get to play the alpha now, or do I have to wait for a wave of invitations to be sent, or what?

The website not being super clear is sort of an understatement.

They're sending them all out in batches as fast as they can, according the forums. So I would imagine you'd get it quickly, but probably not day one.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

So my first battle this morning, I took a fort:

It needs some polishing, but it's a pretty neat mechanic. Basically you take your guns up to the fort and fire them, but you end up with more range because of the elevation, and more accuracy because there's no roll.

But it does leave your ship vulnerable to jerks:

Some English dude took out my bowsprit. Good thing I could repair it!

Although it got taken out again anyway (and you can see other hits):

Now, in my second battle, I was able to ram someone in just the right way as to instantly capsize them. I didn't get a screen, but someone was recording it, so I'll post the video later.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

How realistic is the hull damaged modelled? How much physics are involved there?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
This looks neat but probably worth mentioning that pre-ordering != instant Alpha invite at this stage. They're inviting in batches based on server capacity etc.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Michaellaneous posted:

How realistic is the hull damaged modelled? How much physics are involved there?

Well everywhere I've been hit had a mark on the hull, until I repaired it. There's nothing (yet anyway) that says if you hit the rudder, the rudder goes out, but it is coming (and I have had my rudder damaged, although I'm not sure if that was why).

From the website.

quote:

Realistic ballistics and cannon performance of the period. Every cannonball is tracked in the air and after it hits the target. One shot can hit the stern, damage the rudder, then hit the cannon carriage, injure crew, ricochet from the floor and hit the opposite side. Listing and wind affects the shooting distance and will require change of tactics.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

This looks neat but probably worth mentioning that pre-ordering != instant Alpha invite at this stage. They're inviting in batches based on server capacity etc.

Is that what they've said? Navigating their forums can be difficult at times, and looking anywhere else for information is fruitless. It's unfortunate, because this is a great game, but it's hard to promote it when their own communication is lacking.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Holy crap, why did I not know that this was open for pre-orders? I've been following this game for quite some time.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Is there any way to play as a group at the moment?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Leo Showers posted:

Is there any way to play as a group at the moment?

Well it's all groups, up to 6 ships, but (as I'll mention below) there's no auto-balance or any way to "platoon" like you would in WoT.

Also, I just had a battle with the Surprise in it:

Unfortunately, right now, there's no way to auto-balance teams, so it was 5 (including the Surprise) against 2. The 2 quit, which I can't really blame them for.

But I was able to take some images of what it looks like when ships are getting hit with cannons:

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I might have to consider picking this up when I can find out more info, it looks really good.

The only thing stopping me is the lack of squadroning ships.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
I'm a huge fan of the Aubrey-Maturin novels so this looks super interesting

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Leo Showers posted:

I might have to consider picking this up when I can find out more info, it looks really good.

The only thing stopping me is the lack of squadroning ships.

Well keep in mind this is in Alpha right now. The finished product (and no release date on that) will have that, as well as free sail exploring and commerce.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I'm going to have to watch this game, that's for sure.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

From their forums, on pre-ordering and Alpha keys:

quote:

Hello Captains..

Those who bought the game before Nov 21.

We have sent invitations to the Alpha to everyone who bought the pre-order before 21 November.

If you have not received your key please contact us using support@game-labs.net forwarding your Paypal confirmation email as an attachment.

Those who bought the game after Nov 21.

We are planning to invite the rest of the buyers into the alpha once we rework the balancers, add more moderators and make the manual. This will happen in the foreseeable future, but we don't know when yet.

p.s.we must add the usual statement - that this is an alpha sea trial. there is no content except for ships and combat.

Of course the servers are down, and will be until tomorrow afternoon, so I've had to occupy myself with other endeavors.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Those ships are moving and turning really, really fast.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Well they're pretty small. The larger ones, like HMS Victory, do not.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Here's that video of a capsize.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOuk2wAFWI4&feature=youtu.be&list=UUT6dPBxligla0L-lg7DvcBA

The fun part is at 18:00 or so.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
I got my activation code and checked the game out briefly. How the hell do I actually hit anything? :downs: I understand that the red marker is elevation but how do I figure out how much to use, just trial and error?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Presumably you watch for the splash from each shot and adjust accordingly. Don't forget to account for wind!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

There's a red indicator bar that shows your elevation. Then you can hit spacebar to fire a single, ranging shot. Adjust as needed, then fire the rest of the guns.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Yeah some pubbie taught me the spacebar trick just now. Very handy! In the configuration menu you get when you launch the game claims spacebar is bound to "jump" :v:.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Ok yeah this seems like fun but I have ZERO idea how to do the controls.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Well, the basics are your standard WASD (except W and S set speeds instead of hold them). You can adjust sails specifically and manually with Q, E, Z, and C (depending on the mast).

And the rest is basically about wind direction.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
What I'm having a hard time figuring out are the exact mechanics of firing.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

If you right click, it'll take you to the firing view depending on the side of the ship you're on.

Spacebar fires one shot, left click fires all loaded guns.

You can also left click instead, and fire a full broadisde, but it's without aiming.

On the bigger ships, there are controls for turning decks on and off, but I haven't gotten up that way yet.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Ramming: surprisingly effective!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

It certainly is.

I suspect by launch, there'll be some sort of "pay fr repair" kind of deal, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010
HEY GUYS I'VE FLOWN HELICOPTERS IN THIS GAME BEFORE AND I AM AN EXPERT. ALSO, HOW DO I START THE ENGINE?
I thought this looked cool, got it yesterday and got my key, I've been playing as Spartacus! Pretty fun so far, just needs more players

• Locked thread