Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
So recently I decided to figure out what I got chat banned for like 2 months ago, because it was still active when I logged in. Turns out it was a mistake, but that's not the interesting bit. While I was there I asked them why they don't actually put their weird code of conduct in their game if it's so important, because I'm pretty sure most players don't read their forums where it's listed. One of their staff replied only with this image:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsupremacy
Dec 3, 2012
Anything good happen?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I beat naval action i am governor of new orleans.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

hakimashou posted:

Bring out the gumbo

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

hakimashou posted:

It'd be funny if governors or whatever of major ports could offer amnesty to pirates and switch them to their faction.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Galaga Galaxian posted:

It'd be funny if governors or whatever of major ports could offer amnesty to pirates and switch them to their faction.

I am a pirate

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

dogsupremacy
Dec 3, 2012
hahahaha woah, did those spergy US clans finally run everyone who actually played off with their talk about how they are the only ones doing anything?

Ripperljohn
May 13, 2014

Started playing yesterday, this game is confusing as gently caress.

Currently i have a tiny little one masted boat with a bunch of guns.

I tried figuring out how to do missions, are those the "order" things?
How do i add more crew? Is there a tavern or something?
Why hasn't their UI/Menu designer been taken out back and shot yet?
And why is there a dude spamming chat for barrels like he'd be in Jita local?

Lot's of confusion. Besides that though, holy gently caress my little boat is pretty. Will i get a new one if once it explodes?

Gonna give trading a try once i can afford an oak log.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

dogsupremacy posted:

hahahaha woah, did those spergy US clans finally run everyone who actually played off with their talk about how they are the only ones doing anything?

took 2 weeks to roll the entire US up.

As of now they only own the ports north of sunbury on the east coast. c-town plus the 5 surrounding it. they own zero ports in the gulf of mexico, zero in bermuda, zero anywhere else besides around their capitol waters, and unless they grovel, they wont own those much longer either.

"Hide and talk poo poo" has been the strategy of the big american clans, and that is what it has lead to.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Naval action deployed probably its biggest patch yet today.

Ships now have an armor thickness on each of the four sides that dramatically affects the penetration and damage of cannonballs. Also masts are much stronger than before. It's very difficult to sink a big ship now.

Also, no more teleporting loot to capitol. Tele ship to capitol only works if your hold is empty. However, outpost-to-outpost teleports have no cooldown anymore, you can hop your 'guy' around as much as you want, whenever, to your heart's content.

Also, you can flag yourself as a smuggler now, and you get the same contraband status as an npc- attackable by anyone. However, you can dock at any port, doesnt matter if your faction owns it, as long as you're in a trade ship. If you switch out of a trade ship, you can't undock. Flagging/unflagging has to be done at free ports or your capitol.

There are 3 levels of port battle now, small medium and large. Shallow ports are unchanged, but deep ports are cerberus-4th rate if they are normal ports, and cerb-santi if they are regional capitols. So most deep water ports wont have 1st/2nd/3rds in the battles anymore.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Ripperljohn posted:

Started playing yesterday, this game is confusing as gently caress.

Currently i have a tiny little one masted boat with a bunch of guns.

I tried figuring out how to do missions, are those the "order" things?
How do i add more crew? Is there a tavern or something?
Why hasn't their UI/Menu designer been taken out back and shot yet?
And why is there a dude spamming chat for barrels like he'd be in Jita local?

Lot's of confusion. Besides that though, holy gently caress my little boat is pretty. Will i get a new one if once it explodes?

Gonna give trading a try once i can afford an oak log.

Orders are started by getting them through the missions tab. Your local chat in your Capital city may be full of people "x'ing" up to join groups to fight missions together (it is for the Dutch at least) and it may be an idea to join in with others initially.

You get more crew by levelling up.

Yes the UI is abysmal.

If you get sunk you can get one of the starter ships for nothing although I think ships can be sunk 5 times in all before they are lost.

Don't bother with trading (seriously). Get enough money to build an outpost/factory and then sell the materials or even better craft the materials then sell the made goods (e.g Barrels!).

biglads fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 20, 2016

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
Burned out on this game months ago but still haven't uninstalled it, I wonder if the summer sale will up the numbers for a bit. Anyways big patch today: http://steamcommunity.com/games/311310/announcements/detail/800895062686748289

quote:

Patch 9.9 Fishing, Officers, Fleets and other things
JUNE 29 - ADMIN
Preliminary Patch notes 9.9

What's new:

Officers
Basic implementation of officers added to the game
Player can now recruit a first lieutenant that will sail with him.
Officer can level up with the player opening new possibilities and options
Officer will be wounded when your ship is lost - implemented as lives
Officer does not lose lives when you surrender in battle
Total number of lives = 10 and if you lose all of them you will have to hire a new officer
Starting set of perk is limited - a lot of things had to be reworked to support them. The set of perks will be drastically increased in the next patches adding open world perks, crafting perks and trading perks and of course more battle related perks. The main goal of officer perks is to provide unique and exciting bonuses without any useless options (so called filler).
A lot of perks were proposed by players and as promised - captains whose ideas will get into the game eventually will receive rare ships as rewards.

Starting perk set
Double charge – officer knows how to efficiently use double charge powder allowing using this option in battle
Double shot – Officer knows how to efficiently use double shotted guns (cannot be used on carronades)
Determined defender – Officer knows how to prepare the organized defence on boarding. Your ship can only be boarded if the attacker has 40% higher crew. It also gives you the option to use the defend command for free (during boarding)
Thrifty – Repair kit is not consumed if you use them in battle
Prepared – Ship starts with loaded cannons
Pirate Hunter – Officer hates pirates and is able to motivate his crew better, allowing faster reload if the enemy ship has a pirate flag. Reload bonus is 20%. In the future this perk will only be available to nationals
Pirate – officer with the shady piracy past, allows to extract more sailing performance increasing battle speed by 1 knot if the enemy has a national ship on their side. In the future this perk will only be available to Pirates.
Frigate Master/Lineship Master/Light ship Master: Basic implementation of class bonuses. Currently give +1 knot speed and +5% faster reload. These bonuses are temporary we have already found interesting ways to improve them to provide true class related improvements.
Mortar Officer – officer knows how to use mortars better and gives great bonuses to mortar usage.
Coward – Officer loves to run from battle and knows how to do it. Exit timer is 2x shorter
Perk prices in points and their characteristics are not final. They will constantly be improved. In the next couple of patches 20-25 more unique perks are coming.

Fishing

sailor fishing on a Palas class frigate

Basic fishing is added to the game, giving more options during travel and giving an income boost for new players who are just starting.
We initially added 25 caribbean fishes with realistic fishing zones; reefs, shallows, deep water, coastal water all have unique fish distributions based on the real fishing maps
Fish is used to make provisions that are needed for crew recovery.
Depending on the popularity fishing will be improved in the future.

Crew Management
Crew mechanics have been changed significantly for testing.
Crew is no longer a free element and does not have auto-recovery from the air.
Crew needs to be hired and recovered after losses
Crew is lost on any ship loss
Crew is not lost if you surrender in battle
Every rank has its limit of free crew provided by the admiralty. For example a first ranked newbie has 40 free crew, so he does not have to pay for crew if he loses the ship. At higher levels the free limit will be enough to jump into a basic frigate. Lineships will be more expensive to maintain.
Crew can be recovered by medkits in the open sea after battle
In the future doctor can be added to recover parts of casualties slowly in battle.
Basic medkits will be available in all ports, more advanced options have to be crafted by players.
One of the purposes of the crew is to provide more options in fleet managements as fleets are back. This is a third attempt to bring player fleets back.
Player can add any ship to their fleet provided he has enough crew to man those vessels.
Fleets can now be repaired at sea by using consumable repair kits

Other changes
Npc Capture is back - players can capture ships from NPCs up to 4th rank. Captured ships will have to have crew assigned to them and they can be given a command to escape battle if you want to save that ship even if you have enemies present.
New buildings added - Tobacco Plantation, Sugar Plantation, Farm
New resources added - tobacco, sugar, salt
New materials added - fish meat, food supplies
New consumables added for crafting repair kits, medkits
Chat security improved (problem was identified by the player qw569)
Land added to minimap
Coordinate grid has been added to open world map
Home is disabled in Open world
New sounds added
Fixed bugs:
Shadows bugs fixed
Crew casualties caused by grapeshot were not counted - fixed
Certain bugs with the single tracking shot from lower decks fixed
Fixed bugs with boarding crew focus visualization after boarding
Fixed bug of player teleport after port re-entry
Fixed bug that was not dropping full loot on ship capture
Fixed certain sound bugs

Tunings:
Number of regional centers increased to allow more ship of the line port battles for several nations (list here[forum.game-labs.net])
Flag purchase cooldown increased to 2 days (48 hours). Initially we wanted to make it 7 days but based on player feedback it could create problems for several nations. Port battle rework is now set as high priority and they will be changed drastically by August.
Battle relog after disconnect time increased to 40 mins to allow player to return to battle during longer time if internet went nuts.
Certain blueprints have been changed to reduce redundant clicks
Port battle win conditions changed - small port battles 1 tower is required for large port battles 3 towers are required
Building productions increased
Prices of production in buildings reduced
Knee requirements increased - it was too low for many ships (18 knees for santisima). It is based on cannon count now.
Rum prices increased 5 times. Rum requirements for certain blueprints reduced accordingly. Prices were changed to provide for medkit pricing.
Reload times for 4lb guns increased
Crew requirements for 4lb and 6lb cannons and 12lb carronades reduced by 1 gunner.
Spawns in missions are now closer to each other
Grapeshot damage curves changed to allow for more consistent kills at low planking integrity
Mast thickness increased for all vessels
Speed slightly reduced for Trincomalee and Rattlesnake
Belle poule speed increased
AI command fulfillment behavior improved
Bots lost hammock bonuses to avoid certain bugs in crew transfers
Boarding tuned slightly.
Due to significant changes in crew - we expect that there might be some bugs we missed.

I see nothing there about fixing the starboard gumbrils, when sailing by and large :sigh:

PlushCow fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jun 29, 2016

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

They're finally adding officers? Might have to log in for a bit and check it out.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Have they added any navigation aids at all yet?

CrazyJesus
Jun 6, 2008
Is there any reason to reinstall this right now?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I want a Single Player Sid Meier's Pirates! style game with this game's core sailing mechanics. :(

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I want a Single Player Sid Meier's Pirates! style game with this game's core sailing mechanics. :(

You and me both

I keep wishing every year that someone decides to do a re-make of it, true to it's 1987 roots (2004 version can sit out back with the other retards)

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

By the way, seen this LP for a mod of that early 2000s Pirates of the Carribean game? It looks kinda like what I want, if you added a ton of early 2000s 10+ years in development mod jankiness. :v:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3781418

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
So it looks like in making the new fleet system, they managed to ruin the best part of the shallows. Before, the best anyone could bring to a fight is a mercury or snow. Now a newbie can bring a snow, and a sperglord can bring 3 snows. RIP goonswarm.

Pavlov fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jul 4, 2016

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

By the way, seen this LP for a mod of that early 2000s Pirates of the Carribean game? It looks kinda like what I want, if you added a ton of early 2000s 10+ years in development mod jankiness. :v:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3781418

That game was great, and apparently spawned the movie series too. it is pretty outdated by now for sure but it was one of the best, each nations ships also had different abilities to eachother, such as more guns, more hold, or more speed, probably more.

About half way through the game you get a choice to turn pirate, which leads to some cool adventures, and hard main quest objectives

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
e: wrong thread, sorry

Dirt Worshipper fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jul 10, 2016

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Reinstalled this because I felt like farting around and killing some AI ships. Loaded up the PvE server, which I apparently had a Snow on and went out and did a scoundrel mission. Attacked and captured a trader's brig along the way to the mission then captured a brig inside the mission (sadly it sunk cause an AI helper kept shooting it during the boarding).

In the process of these two boarding actions I lost about 150 crew, taking my crew reserves from 350 men to just under 200. I earned about 2500 gold for selling the merchant brig and 5000 gold for the mission reward. It costs 15,000 gold to replenish 30 crew.

So much for just farting around with PvE. :sigh: Why did this game have to become such a disappointment? Someone just make a new Sid Meier's Pirates with Naval Action style ship combat (but not boarding), tia.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
This is what happens when you fall off the immersion train

Crash74
May 11, 2009

Recoome posted:

This is what happens when you fall off the immersion train

Or pander to one group of shitlords at the cost of the rest of your normal players.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Crash74 posted:

Or pander to one group of shitlords at the cost of the rest of your normal players.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
like I thought the game had potential and poo poo but there's no loving way I'm gonna play that hahahahaha

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Actually it turns out crew reserves replenish over time (not sure how fast) so its just bad instead of super awful.

I log in every once in a while to the PvE server and shoot up a couple traders or a pickle or whatever in a Snow. The core gameplay is still really fun. Too bad about everything that has been built up around it.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I kind of wish I could get a refund for this game now but you roll the dice with EA. We had fun while it lasted, goons.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Honestly the game turned to poo poo when it became open world, I had a lot of fun with the deathmatches.

dogsupremacy
Dec 3, 2012

Panzeh posted:

Honestly the game turned to poo poo when it became open world, I had a lot of fun with the deathmatches.

Ya the combat part was pretty solid and what development should of been focused on

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Reinstalled this because I felt like farting around and killing some AI ships. Loaded up the PvE server, which I apparently had a Snow on and went out and did a scoundrel mission. Attacked and captured a trader's brig along the way to the mission then captured a brig inside the mission (sadly it sunk cause an AI helper kept shooting it during the boarding).

In the process of these two boarding actions I lost about 150 crew, taking my crew reserves from 350 men to just under 200. I earned about 2500 gold for selling the merchant brig and 5000 gold for the mission reward. It costs 15,000 gold to replenish 30 crew.

So much for just farting around with PvE. :sigh: Why did this game have to become such a disappointment? Someone just make a new Sid Meier's Pirates with Naval Action style ship combat (but not boarding), tia.

They really hosed this game up bad.

Back in I think May they redid the combat and it was horrible and I stopped logging in.

Since then they've added more and more dumb poo poo it looks like.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

It seems that way. The core was so solid, and so promising. I just want a a spergy sailing ship simulator goddamnit!

E: Actually, I think that's where the failure lies. Either make a game, or make a simulator. Trying to do both almost always fails.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I just want an MMO with bote fites, but no, it's either Korean and full of pedophiles or ruined by nutjobs. Or PotBS.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Colonial Air Force posted:

It seems that way. The core was so solid, and so promising. I just want a a spergy sailing ship simulator goddamnit!

E: Actually, I think that's where the failure lies. Either make a game, or make a simulator. Trying to do both almost always fails.

Really, they could have just kept it like in the alpha, a World of Tanks but with sailbotes. That iteration really was surprisingly fun, particularly because you could just hop in for a few rounds whenever without having to sail for half an hour to find anything of note.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Perestroika posted:

Really, they could have just kept it like in the alpha, a World of Tanks but with sailbotes. That iteration really was surprisingly fun, particularly because you could just hop in for a few rounds whenever without having to sail for half an hour to find anything of note.

Yeah.

I was excited about Open World, but in the end, it just doesn't work. And the fun of all the sailing parts goes away in open, too, since it's a watered-down version.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, this was a much better game without the MMO aspects. You could tell going in that the devs were basically ignoring the past decade or two of MMO history and trying to make ultima online yet again, just with sailboats.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Just make the map a sixth of the size it is now and get rid of all the tedious grinding and upkeep bullshit. Voila, game is worth playing again.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
The problem is that a lot of people playing wanted a *bigger* world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Truga posted:

The problem is that a lot of people playing wanted a *bigger* world.

Including me, but it turns out it sucks and I was wrong. So let's go back.

• Locked thread