Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Go back to World Of Tall Ships and then license everything to the dudes who made the Sea Dogs/Corsairs series to use to make a new open world Sid Meier's Pirates/Sea Dogs style game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
I think I am just going to give up completely on this game. They will never go back.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Do the deathmatch things that happen in ports every 30 minutes still exist? Those would be pretty neat, but I forgot if you actually lose your ship/gold from doing those.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Truga posted:

Do the deathmatch things that happen in ports every 30 minutes still exist? Those would be pretty neat, but I forgot if you actually lose your ship/gold from doing those.

You do so you need to engage with the open world portion to afford the deathmatch gameplay.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Basically the bad dudes who have wrong opinions (harbingers of doom) got a hold of it and this is why we can't having sailing games

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Orv posted:

I just want an MMO with bote fites, but no, it's either Korean and full of pedophiles or ruined by nutjobs. Or PotBS.

Sea of Thieves. Not Korean and lots of boat fights. Hopefully.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Recoome posted:

Basically the bad dudes who have wrong opinions (harbingers of doom) got a hold of it and this is why we can't having sailing games

Mostly old British dudes in their 40s, but yeah.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

So apparently the devs are now giving players goodies for rating the game favorably on steam. :v:

quote:

Hello captains. Here are the notes for the patch that will be deployed today.

New ships

To celebrate the increase in the steam ratings 4 ships will be added to the game as event ships.
    * Rattlesnake Heavy – event blueprint.
    * L Ocean – event blueprint.
    * Agamemnon – event blueprint.
    * Gunboat – redeemable for existing users and event blueprint. Redeemable will be given out by end of the week.
Event ships are available from special events only – that will be available for for all users on PvP and PvE servers.

If ratings continue to grow we will try hard to add more ships before release. We need your support to make the game better. Please go to Steam and rate the game if you have not done so. Thank you for all the generous support!

Alliances
    * Alliances added as the first step in the conquest rework. Alliances are a testing feature and might change the game completely. We believe that alliances should make the game play better, but we don't know if they will.
    * IMPORTANT: For initial testing alliances are signed for short periods to help us run several rounds of votes and find bugs together during mass testing. Alliances between nations will change often in this testing patch. In the future alliances length will be increased to intended 3 weeks in a hot fix.
    * Voting is available from third lowest rank and only if your character existed for 15 days in this nation. Number of votes increases with your rank.
    * For more detailed information on the alliance mechanics please visit this topic: http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/15577-alliances-final-design/.

To enforce alliances better we made several additional changes.
    * All captains have learnt flag recognition better. As a result attacks on friendlies by intent or by mistake are no longer possible. Pirates always acted as a big brotherhood - its is the same for pirates now. Outlaw class is planned for the real pirates who are against all authorities.
    * Friendly player smugglers are no longer attackable. The main reason for this change is the battle denial exploit.
    * Groups can be created with alliance members.
    * Alliance chats added – 1 chat for 2 nations. If your nation has 2 alliances you will have to use 2 rooms. But remember - Loose lips might sink ships: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loose_lips_sink_ships.

Other features
    * Special new feature added – you will find it out by playing.
    * Special new event added – you will find it out by playing.
    * Ships crafted after patch have the name of the crafter added to it. 5% of all combat xp earned on that ship will also be given to a crafter directly to his XP.

Perks changes
    * We are continuing to add and test systems that can be modified by perks/officer skills. These systems give us extra flexibility in the development and allow to quickly test new interesting gameplay options and features. Some perks can be unbalanced and will eventually be removed if they are hated by the players. Please ignore annoying perks - all bad designs will be removed eventually.
    * Next patch month we will start actively changing perks and upgrades. To give players some flexibility perk reset becomes free until perks are stabilized.
    * Storage perk becomes useless. All bonuses from the perk are removed. Use free reset to replace the perk.
    * New perk Doctor – perk recovers 70% of all casualties in combat if you ship is alive by the end of the instance.
    * New perk Social – battle generated by the player with this perk stay open for 30 mins for both sides. Other battles will not get affected.
    * New perk Hold optimization – 20% more hold weight.
    * New perk Shipyard connections - +15% to ship prices sold to NPC buyer in ports.
    We know that trading and combat should be done through separate officers and plan to add a non-combat officer as a second hire in the future.

Fixed bugs:
    * Fixed bug when muskets were sometimes counted incorrectly during boarding.
    * Multiple other bugs fixed.

Tunings:
    * Bucentaure excessive crew loss somewhat addressed.
    * 36pounder gun added. It is exclusive for only one vessel at this stage, but this limitation will be removed in the near future.
    * Extra check is added during player deletion to avoid unfortunate accidents.
    * Holds are finally rebalanced for all vessels, it is now closer to historical hold sizes. We will continue tuning hold sizes going forward.
    * Small battles room balancer and conditions changed: http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/15739-tournament-support-changes-to-small-battles.
    * Storm sailing speed penalties lowered.
    * Sealed bottle drop chance reduced.
    * Sealed bottle distance brought back to old – closer distance. No more excessive long journeys.
    * Copper coins added to shipwrecks.
    * Area control perk radius increased to 750 meters.
    * Press gang bonus lowered to 50%.
    * Stiffness was buffed to give +5% to mast HP and +2cm to armor.
    * Boarding tweaks were made. Boarding will be more dynamic and generally more enjoyable.
    * Minor changes to some ship performances were made.
    * Cannons penetrate trough water a lot less.
    * Bot name tables improved thanks to several mod volunteers.
    * Probably several horrible horrible bugs introduced.
After patch is stabilized we will start working on the second part of war&peace improvements in relation to port battles, war effort and conquest in general. + New sounds and AI improvements.

Discuss.

Extra requests
Groups preparing for the tournament - please test the small battles room functionality with your practice partners if it works correctly as intended. We are ready to hot fix the problems if any appear.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/311310/announcements/detail/815536179393717923

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 17, 2016

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Logged in today to play, haven't in a LONG while. PvE is still pretty fun at least.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Yeah actually PvE is still fun. Sure, the AI isn't perfect, but it's way better than it used to be. And now I have a Cerberus with a cool paint job and I made fat ducats from a shipwreck.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Wait. Paint job? And are you just dicking around on the PvE server? Or is the PvP server so underpopulated at this point you can mostly go around unmolested?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Yes, you can find/create paint jobs now.
And I'm on the PvE server, mostly just farting around.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

"Realistic" colors only, I assume? Not hot pink or neon green frigates?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Yeah it's lighter and has blue trim. I'll screenshot it tonight.

Tangerines
Apr 25, 2016

I just got this, can someone chuck me an invite. Game name: Tangerine

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The goon pirate group has been basically dead for a few months now, but I can log on tonight and throw you an invite if you really want.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I like that a lot better than the Cerberus' usual dark red scheme. Then again, Nelson Checker is always a good choice. :britain:

How hard are paint jobs to obtain?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I bought this with one, but from all accounts, pretty loving hard.

Admiral Snackbar
Mar 13, 2006

OUR SNEEZE SHIELDS CANNOT REPEL A HUNGER OF THAT MAGNITUDE
I looked at this game a while back and decided to wait until it matured before pulling the trigger. It looks like development has strayed from my expectations with a lot of the MMO stuff. I'm not really all that interested in PvP - is this game worth getting for PvE play?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Admiral Snackbar posted:

I looked at this game a while back and decided to wait until it matured before pulling the trigger. It looks like development has strayed from my expectations with a lot of the MMO stuff. I'm not really all that interested in PvP - is this game worth getting for PvE play?

No. I check back in on it every now and again and I still regret giving them $40 dollars for it.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

After it's released, if you can get it on a Steam sale for like $15-20, it'd be fine in PvE.

Admiral Snackbar
Mar 13, 2006

OUR SNEEZE SHIELDS CANNOT REPEL A HUNGER OF THAT MAGNITUDE
Man that's disappointing...

I get the need to make money and all, but does everything need to end up being some kind of half-assed MMO wannabe?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

To be fair, a lot of the Alpha promises of what open world would be like sounded pretty great. It's the execution and whiny minority that killed it.

A World of Tallships would be much better though.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I think it was an interesting concept and I was really excited at the prospect of an open world. I just think doing a huge open world MMO age of sail game is really tough to do and it clearly wasn't planned out very well. Game is still fun but the Open World has a long way to go to become truly interesting.

Maybe someday they'll just discard it and go back to making a World of Sail game.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Like I've (repeatedly) said, someone needw to make a Sid Meier's Pirates! Style game using this engine.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
There's a good pve style trading/pirate/crew management game to be had if they went that direction. There's also a very good PvP arena battle game to be had. They've mixed the two and it's just poo poo.

Crash74
May 11, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Like I've (repeatedly) said, someone needw to make a Sid Meier's Pirates! Style game using this engine.

Or something like that assassins creed game, just with a bunch of other players to get rowdy with.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I would pay stupid amounts of money for an updated Pirates! game.

And no I don't mean that slightly updated one that came out in 2000 something with cartoon graphics

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Sappo569 posted:

I would pay stupid amounts of money for an updated Pirates! game.

And no I don't mean that slightly updated one that came out in 2000 something with cartoon graphics

Who could forget the "au, mein fadge!" simlish.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Well, hopefully after this dies the slow death of a niche MMO, they'll license the engine to someone else.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I just logged back in and I've got all sorts of redeemables. A GunBoat? Neat! A Bucentaure? Neato burrito!

Then I floated around after fitting out the gunboat with stupidly large fore/aft cannons, but couldn't even get into a PvE. Boo. So I farted around in my Mercury some more - that's still fun. But there are all sorts of new buttons without any sorts of information on them:

There's a politics button, and a big fish button in open world - as well as a Pray button that does... something? No idea what the fish button or the pray button do.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

turn it up TURN ME ON posted:

I just logged back in and I've got all sorts of redeemables. A GunBoat? Neat! A Bucentaure? Neato burrito!

Then I floated around after fitting out the gunboat with stupidly large fore/aft cannons, but couldn't even get into a PvE. Boo. So I farted around in my Mercury some more - that's still fun. But there are all sorts of new buttons without any sorts of information on them:

There's a politics button, and a big fish button in open world - as well as a Pray button that does... something? No idea what the fish button or the pray button do.

How many people are even playing it?

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Skoll posted:

How many people are even playing it?

Well, there's me and a bunch of NPCs so... 1?

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

Kinda wanna try this out again....any takers?

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Thought let's give this another try, installed it, logged in, tried to undock and do some fun things, didn't see any player around me, did one mission, got so bored that I started to read a book while waiting for the ship to arrive back at the harbor, logged off, uninstalled it.

I really had high hopes for this game, the new sandbox game, the next eve/star citizen/gta/whatever, but they really should just have fully developed it instead of doing retarded early access things that lead to people being fed with the low content in the earliest days of development, so that really no one seems to play it anymore.

:rip:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

A patch is coming! Will it fix any of the major problems?

Not really!

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?%2Ftopic%2F16932-patch-995-new-conquest-new-trading-new-ships-and-other-things%2F

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
I've been on the record for like three years that this game was at it's best in the early battle-only phase where anyone could get a fight without having to deal with the open world.

Has anything super substantial happened in the last year other than most of the player-base dying off?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Crew management and officers are actually pretty cool features.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
I think I played with the crew management a bit and it did seem neat but I don't know about officers at all. Are they modifiers for your personal ship like 2nd/3rd/x lieutenants or something for other ships that you own?

Man, I do enjoy the core ship-sailing and combat mechanics of this game so much.

• Locked thread