Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

That's some cutthroat competition that the price of a new game has barely budged. Helldivers 2 just cost me 40 bucks, Starfox in today-moneys would be $130.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

I miss John Beard

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Phanatic posted:

That's some cutthroat competition that the price of a new game has barely budged. Helldivers 2 just cost me 40 bucks, Starfox in today-moneys would be $130.

It’s wild to me how people complain about how expensive video games are. When considering inflation, prices of fifth-generation consoles are close to what they are now, and games are wayyyy cheaper now than they ever were, as price tags have not really changed over the decades. Vintage games, now those are exorbitantly priced, unless the bubble’s burst and the money laundering scheme is over and I’m not aware.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah I guess if you do nothing but play video games and therefore have to constantly buy brand new games it would be expensive. But IDK how you could possibly be that on the hook. Especially with the glut of free multiplayer games that basically never end. Unless you're actually buying all the bonus crap.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Sir Lemming posted:

Yeah I guess if you do nothing but play video games and therefore have to constantly buy brand new games it would be expensive. But IDK how you could possibly be that on the hook. Especially with the glut of free multiplayer games that basically never end. Unless you're actually buying all the bonus crap.

The back catalog of good games you should play is already more than anyone can finish but people keep reading gaming news, paying $60 for games at their most broken and buggy.

By the time a game goes on sale it's had a bunch of patches plus mods that fix everything else. I do not know why people do this to themselves but whatever they're funding what I might be buying for $9.99 in a few years so god bless.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Obligatory

https://youtu.be/F0i_SI63I70?feature=shared

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

I had that VHS, and there’s a decent chance my dad still has the tape in a box in storage. IIRC there was also one for Banjo-Kazooie too.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

I worked at a used game shop for a while and I'd snatch up every colored memcard I could find. I had (and still have) the orange one as a kid but I loved the red and blue ones

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

I had this, one with Super Mario 64, Shadows of the empire and I think pilotwings. Watched that one a lot waiting on the N64.

Vogon Poetry Slam
Nov 13, 2016

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

This belongs in a museum. I had the one for Diddy Kong Racing as well.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

i love them. they're like delicious electronic candy.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
The song at the end was something I rewound the tape for a lot to specifically listen to. It got me pumped.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Unperson_47 posted:

Are book covers even still a thing? I remember kids collecting and trading them when I was in school. I only ever had these really plain blue and white (or maybe it was black and white) ones or some that were brown paper bag type material.
We basically had to use them, even if we made do with paper shopping bags and masking tape. I went to a good, well-funded public school system and our textbooks were assigned to us for the year. They assigned them to us via school ID number and each book had a tamper-evident tag with a barcode and serial number.

I can't tell you how embarrassed 16-year-old me was when a classroom window leaked and I had to ask my parents for a $30 check (this was in 2000, so adjust for inflation) to cover the cost of replacing the cover and re-binding the book.

sock it to me! posted:

Dire straits "money for nothing" got away with an F slur for like 40 years, at least on the local stations where I've lived.
Back when there was a moral panic over Eminem, local stations would play a radio edit that silenced the vocal track when he said the word "drugs" and in the same hour play an unedited and uncensored version of "Cocaine" by Eric Clapton.

I think that was when I started to realize that boomers were afraid of everything and promised to myself, in vain, that I wasn't going to end up being like that. At least I have a reasonable idea of when something is worth complaining about and when I'm just being an old man yelling at a cloud.

Sir Lemming posted:

In general it seems like songs were at their longest in the 90s. (And albums, sometimes just by extension but also they threw more songs on them.) Things have swung pretty hard in the opposite direction now and there are definitely times where I wish there was an interesting bridge or something to let the song breathe; but on the other hand, I don't miss the trend of repeating the chorus over and over with a perfunctory instrumental bridge (i.e. just the same thing that was already playing, but without the words) just to pad out the song.
While I know that correlation isn't causation, I read an interesting paper around 20 years ago showing that in the US, song length and rhythmic complexity of popular music strongly and consistently correlate to and lag behind political disagreement and discontent among the general public. I'll have to see if I can find it.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

GWBBQ posted:

I think that was when I started to realize that boomers were afraid of everything and promised to myself, in vain, that I wasn't going to end up being like that. At least I have a reasonable idea of when something is worth complaining about and when I'm just being an old man yelling at a cloud.

Can confirm that boomers have the worst type of brain worms and incredible cognitive dissonance.

I just came back from A Major Theme Park and invited my dad to come.

First thing he did when waiting for a bus AT THE HOTEL where we were the ONLY ones at the bus stop waiting was make a comment when my son went around the other side of a large column that we need to keep an eye on him because “kids are getting kidnapped all the time now”.

Then, upon arrival to the park my son was holding a handrail and he told my son to not touch it and then said to my wife and I, and this is true, “people are lacing fentanyl everywhere”.

We made fun of him for being a fear-mongering boomer and he evened out after that the rest if the trip but by God what kind of a terrible echo chamber has he gotten into?

This is the same person who complains about “snow flakes” and “woke” and “soft men”.

It is getting more and more difficult to be around him.

:smith:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7TFZzdOPw0

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
https://x.com/WebDesignMuseum/status/1768622727814848737?s=20

Early Pizza Hut web page is something else

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

One of the replies pointed out that page still exists

https://www.pizzahut.com/assets/pizzanet/home.html

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
that and space jam will be the last websites to die when the nukes start flying

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Vote Dole/Kemp in ‘96!

Not sure if it counts because [a] it’s being propped up by another site for “educational purposes” and [b] some links within are dead, especially anything pointing to multimedia. But! Elizabeth Dole’s Pecan Roll Cookie recipe is still up!

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Porfiriato posted:

One of the replies pointed out that page still exists

https://www.pizzahut.com/assets/pizzanet/home.html

anybody want to try and see if it still works?

not me, i don't rate pizza hut.

netizen
Jun 25, 2023
Welcome to PizzaNet

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

uber_stoat posted:

anybody want to try and see if it still works?

not me, i don't rate pizza hut.

Just redirects you to the front page.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Chrome? Absolutely
Pouches? You better believe it.
Feet? Not a loving chance.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

I have at least one copy of this somewhere. I am not sure it’s even worth cover price.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Chrome? Absolutely
Pouches? You better believe it.
Feet? Not a loving chance.

The real question is what do they keep in all those pouches?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Neddy Seagoon posted:

it's too Extreme to tell you.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
What ever happened to Green Jello?
Maybe this link will shed some light (I just found it, haven't actually started watching yet).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wges6F9ka-A

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
People give Liefeld a hard time about the pouches but have Batman's utility belt contents memorized.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNuYRyBrRbI

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

What ever happened to Green Jello?
Maybe this link will shed some light (I just found it, haven't actually started watching yet).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wges6F9ka-A

GREEN JELLO SUCKS!!

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Thought that was gonna be about lime jello because I haven't been able to find it for a long time.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Small change (mostly pennies and a few nickels), pocket lint, pretzel crumbs, the occasional condom, an old Chick tract that they forgot about when they couldn’t find a garbage can to toss it

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Back when online pizza ordering was a brand-new thing, I remember seeing a comic panel that was a guy at his computer saying "OK, I ordered the pizza -- now how do I download it?"

It's a cute joke, and I still occasionally think about it when I order food online.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Using /pizza in EverQuest was peak internet.

The rest was downhill.

Was such opulence the cause of our societal downfall? The world wonders.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CnWs8jDbXo

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Also, THIS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obtxjWQiQ2U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Wow this all came true even the part about the not leaving the house and having sex

If genz Reddit is anything to go by (lol)