Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Being a kid in the 90s was all about claiming how your mom was cool and let you watch south park all the time but really you didn't even have the cable channel for it. But it's not like the other kids could call you on your bullshit cause they hadn't seen it either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

I was into dinosaurs in the 1990s, but I think I may have clearer memories of this than I do of Jurassic Park.
The series finale was still the most :stare: thing I've seen. Certainly one effective way to impress the importance of environmentalism on kids.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYiLJlzh6Oc

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Some how the "You weenie!" is the most absurd part about that commercial for me.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Though one thing I encountered a few times was a song you'd download and listen to, and then when you put it on an cd, it would become a completely different song. It was weird. There's a get up kids song I had that when I burned it and listened to it, it turned into a completely different song which at the end it says "Hey you should buy cds!". It was weird. I never encountered it outside of it, but I've heard of a few other people encountering it.

Similarly I remember getting songs that had AIM message tones mixed in and ones that halfway through turned into ear splitting static.

I think they were released by record labels as a sort of guerilla tactic, to make downloading songs such a crap shoot you wouldn't bother.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I thought this was a really well drawn parody jesus christ.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

That's a very old arcade game, Qix, which has been rehashed so many times, can't say for certain what you played.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

When Ronnie Reagan lifted the restrictions on advertising to children the floodgates opened to try and sell goddamn anything for toys.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

At the time of old Simpsons it would have been very difficult to be topical, in the same way south park is now, due to the time between production and airing.

It did have its moments though, like they slipped in a crack at Bush sr. by inserting a scene where Homer makes a jab back at him for insulting the Simpsons.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

It's not...hard? You're just really dense I guess.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Sonic CD had really bad level design and was really only held to a high standard because it was inaccessible for so long for the vast majority of people.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Was that not the one that was just a compilation of the Mega Drive games? (Or am I thinking of another one?)

That was the mega collection. Xtreme was a cancelled 3d sonic on Saturn. Obviously it was turning out pretty bad or they wouldn't cancel a headline title like that. But forbidden fruit tastes the sweetest.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

dreamcast was cool though

I admit the dream cast deserved better than it got but goddamn what bad release timing.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Wait Skylanders is a spin off from Spyro? That's crazy.

Spyro was one of the first characters, mostly because Activision was still sitting on the license. To my knowledge spyro is neither anything special as a character nor is any connection to the original games drawn.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Asking the Playstation's "killer app" is basically like asking about the NES or SNES, it had a truckload of games that basically defined the medium as a whole.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

The Repo Man posted:

Just how into Dutch Angles were the 90's?

It showed you didn't give a gently caress about conforming to rules and standards.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I think everything on Nick and cartoon network had some level of gross out humor. That's the most 90s thing.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The thing with Rocco's Modern Life was that they constantly, deliberately, and knowingly tried to slip as much poo poo past the censors as they possibly could. They stopped at nothing, really; after they were forced to change it to Chewey Chicken they kept having Rocco and Heifer go there but every single time from there on out Heifer choked on his chicken.

I know the animaniac's writers had this thing where if they wanted to slip in a bad joke they would write something even worse they knew the censors would say no to, therefore making their original joke look not nearly as bad and then they could be "well can we do this instead?" and the censors would say "sure".

The "Finger prince" joke wasn't supposed to be one of the ones they approved but I guess whoever was auditing the episode that day didn't pick up on it.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

This is the most british thing I've ever seen.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

Iron Man also wasn't written for the MCU. An Iron Man movie had been in some attempt at getting made since 1990 when Universal bought the rights, and decided to make the movie with Jon Favreau as a completely independent feature with nothing to reboot (unlike Spider-Man, which already had the Sam Raimi film series). The script was unfinished when filming began and large parts of the dialogue were improvised on the spot.

Marvel had plans before its release to make a series of films with a shared universe, but the success of Iron Man actually let them go forward with that project. If Iron Man bombed, they likely would have just dropped everything and gone back to the drawing board.

I'd say it was a bit more planned than that given the end credits stinger where Nick Fury literally says "You're part of a bigger universe". You're probably right that if the movie didn't do well they'd call a mulligan but that 30 second stinger shows a fair amount of foresight.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

Not to mention Iron Man had a sequel by the time Thor and Captain America got their "origin" films. Iron Man was pretty much a backdoor pilot for the rest of the MCU.

This was because they really tripped up with Hulk so rather than go into Thor immediately (a hero with some recongition but not an A-lister) they used Iron Man 2 to retreat and build up some good will again. It worked, too.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Colin Powell was like one of the highest ranking and most prestigious military guys in 1990.

Yeah but casting wise...black people were still often regulated to kooky sidekicks unless there was a "reason" for them to be black, such as the character being black in the comics (Steel and Spawn come to mind)

In the 90s Nick Fury would totally be a middle aged white dude because thats how the comics still represented him at the time.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

ryonguy posted:

Hasselehoff is Nick Fury because he literally was Nick Fury in the 90's. :thejoke:

I never knew this got made. Im sure for good reason.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Randaconda posted:

I have no idea what it tasted like, but I always loved how OK Soda looked

It was OK.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Yeah let's not pretend that's what killed sega. For a time they had Nintendo beat in America. Had they survived they certainly would have changed advertising with the times.

Stupid business decisions and infighting killed them.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Bobby Digital posted:

Sure, SNES was good, but the Genesis had

It's honestly kinda impressive how many ideas Sega had ahead of the curve but technology just wasn't ready for it.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

ToxicSlurpee posted:

While they were ahead of the curve in a lot of ways they also handled a lot of things very, very stupidly.

No question, I'm not one of the types who thinks Sega was cheated. They made their bed and could have survived a few screw ups but they just kept piling them on.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Because Monobear sounds bad to English ears. Theres an argument that translation isnt always about 1:1 accuracy but getting across meaning.

FFXIV has puns. Like a lot of loving puns. Every quest name is a pun or cultural reference. You couldnt translate them from Japanese because it'd make no sense to English ears. So they substitute English puns and references.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Ffxiv is a a collection of puns with a mmo attached

And I love every second of it.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

DicktheCat posted:

Tbh, cars lately seem kind of boring, design-wise.

I mean all cars seem boring when theyre contemporary?

The 90s were some ugly rear end fuckin cars tho.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Imagined posted:

Not sure if you're doubting or just saying "I had no idea!" Either way:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longbox

To be fair the article says both.

quote:

Some merchants resisted this disapproval of the packaging, as longboxes theoretically made it harder for shoplifters to hide the items as well as avoiding friction with retailers

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Maybe that was why PC games came in those big square cardboard boxes?

That was more because
1. There wasn't an industry standard so everyone made different boxes and would try and be as eye catching as possible.
2. PC games would often include physical items or huge manuals that necessitated big boxes.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I kinda disagree in that horror has always been filled with a high percentage of crap. Their cheapness to produce meant they were always churned out rapidfire because even it bombed the loss would barely be noticed by the studio.
I get what youre saying there is a loss of that mystique of coming across a rare vhs you dont get from streaming where more stuff is easily accessible, but the genre always been a bit of a crap shoot.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Volcott posted:

What was that goosebumps where a guy does a time travel and erases his sister and it ends with him like "yeah idk maybe I'll go fix that... later."

The Cuckoo Clock of Doom.

I dont know why that one left an impression on me.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Killingyouguy! posted:

Can someone please explain how 187 means 'I hate you' because every explanation I can come up with has failed me

1 looks like an I
8 rhymes with hate

I got nothing on the 7

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

dialhforhero posted:

I still have a version of Rock the Casbah where there is this old Nokia ringtone that shows up in it during one of the verses.

I remember when it was a bit of a gamble that youd get songs with AIM prompts in the background or would blow out your speaker with distortion halfway through.

Turns out record companies were distributing those to shake peoples confidence in file sharing lol

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Around the mid 2000s Americans also started to become more health conscious and so while fast food places didnt really fail because they were so ubiquitous they did see enough of a drop in numbers that many have tried to rebrand, like how McDonald's now tries to look like a starbucks.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

It might be worth more still sealed.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

At the time it was a bit of a meme that if you bought a computer it was out of date by the time you got home and that wasnt that far off. Imagine paying that much in 1990s money too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

appropriatemetaphor posted:

maybe i'm just a square but what's "def" mean in this context? like it's not mos def....

It was one of the million synonyms in the 90s for "Excellent"