Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

God drat I remember being in high school and CDs were loving $20 in like 2002. Why the hell were they still so expensive? No wonder everyone used :filez:

I think my least favorite thing of the 90s was adult contemporary. Boring rear end poo poo. That and R&B was still a genre, equally as boring. Those two genres just remind me of waiting rooms now. Milquetoast crap to listen to while my mom was getting her teeth cleaned and I was next.

Did anyone else here go to the library after school to photocopy gaming mags for the cheats in the back? My parents only ever bought my brother and I game mags for road trips or holidays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I won one in a middle school raffle. Everyone in school was super jealous, a few adults offered to buy it for $100 but I was like 7 so I didn't take them up on it because I thought it was worth $700. I'm going to my parents house this weekend, I'll feed it to their english bulldog.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

moller posted:

For some odd reason as a goon-aged american the songs i most strongly associate with blur are Girls and Boys and Parklife. I suppose those coincided with the brief period of time that I watched MTV? :shrug:

Hey they had that other song!

Crazy Beat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohyqek7fj6Y

Although this was like 2003?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Dewgy posted:

This randomly popped into my head last night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khVQW5yXkNg

Something about that kid saying "strawberry" just sticks with me after all these years.

Yeah, hands down this is the part of me that will always be 6-7 years old. Everything about that commercial is just pure distilled nostalgia.

That commercial doesn't just remind me of suckers, it reminds me of Pbj's made with crunchy peanut butter, of going to McDonalds and it being a big loving deal. It reminds me of Super Nintendo, of Wild and Crazy Kids.

It reminds me of staying out till dark playing whiffle ball in a yard that couldn't have been big enough but we made it work.

A time where I gave no shits except who in my family got to read the new issue of Mad Magazine first.

My childhood, the 90's.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Because they have funky beats, driving baselines, and fun chords? They're loving goofballs.

I like them for the same reason I like Ween. They're clearly very talented and love what they are doing. They just choose to make the most immature weird poo poo.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Cake is fun for a song or three but albums can be tough. Comfort Eagle and Pressure Chief are fun.

It just gets tiresome because their lead singer's whole shtick is:

"I am talking, and talking, and talking some more."

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Silent Scope showed a little lcd reticle and scope over a silhouette whenever you scoped in on someone.

It’s always 9/9/99 in my mind.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I bet you one of these Toys R' Us stores has an atomic purple N64 controller in the back, lost to time.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Sex Hobbit posted:

Did someone say Blockbuster snacks??

I can taste these in my head. My god, it's been 20 years but I can picture exactly how they taste. Down to the texture of the watermelon "seeds."

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

My grandpa chews Redman. Growing up and seeing his spit cups and his lack of teeth was enough for me to say "nope."

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Randaconda posted:

I never knew anybody with a Jaguar. Hell, at least the 3D0 had some good games for it.

My coworker brought it up the other day that he had one as a kid. I was blown away. They seemed like a myth back in the 90's. Nobody I knew had one.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

In high school, I knew someone who claimed to have one, I never saw it with my own eyes.

There was someone else who had a virtual boy, I did see that one.

My grandma won a Virtual Boy when they opened the Walmart in her town. I was so blown away by it. Still only have two games for it (the two it came with): Mario Tennis and some bullet hell game.

Bullet hell game was/is rad with the 3d because you can dodge below the enemies. Pretty standard for the genre but it looks radical.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

My parents weren't great at picking winners.

We only got a NES because I was apparently demanding about it, I very clearly recall my dad eying the Ataris that were still available at the time.

We got the Lynx because they thought it would be better than the Gameboy. I mean it was on a technical level, but it was also more expensive, so I was the kid that had one.

We ended up with a 32X because my mom got it off the clearance rack.

The only reason they got Blu-Ray right was because they hedged their bets and bought an HDDVD player at the same time, at least they didn't fall for DIVX

My mom walked into a store and asked the salesman what the best top of the line console was. She came home with a Sega Dreamcast. This was Christmas 1999. I was stoked when I got it but it dawned on me and my brother pretty quickly that the PS2 was better.

I've since developed a fondness for my Dreamcast. It's too weird to live, too rare to die.

It's forever 9/9/99 in my mind.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm just saying it was better, not good. I had AIM and ICQ but it wasn't really as pervasive as something like Facebook. I did hate high school though.

I graduated HS in 2006, and AIM was still the hotness. Myspace was on its way out and Facebook still required a .edu email address.

Youtube was just becoming a thing. Most of our plans were made on awkward phone keyboards or through AIM.

High school ruled for me. I got to see all my friends everyday. My parents gave me a rinky-dink Suzuki Samurai to roll around in. I had to pay for my own gas, beer, and weed. I managed a pool and basically just cruised through school earning B's.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think the most 90s of all the 90s ska bands was one called I Voted for Kodos, whose first album came out in 1999 and included a song about how much they wished they could be Reel Big Fish.

I don't know, if it wasn't for their recent popularity as a kids' show I would say the most 90's ska band was The Aquabats. Reel Big Fish comes in close second though.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Man every time I say I don't like musicals people act like I just said Jordan Peterson is the greatest mind of our time or something else insane.

Some of us just don't like stories told through song.

I find them to be incredibly cheesy and that pulls me out of the story. I’ve tried, but the only musical I really enjoyed was Spamalot.

I understand that this makes me a plebe but I really don’t care for musicals. I didn’t even know Hamilton was rap. It was out for two years before I found out.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I’ve never seen Rocky Horror. I’m such a bad person. Every time a screening is shown I’m out of town or have tickets to something else.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Dixville posted:

Lmao :yeshaha:

Edit anyone else remember Biker Mice From Mars??

I loved that cheesy rear end show. I had the Vinnie action figure

Would not recommend Google image searching Vinnie from biker mice from Mars though, apparently he's a favorite of the furries :cry:

My brother and I had these. He had Vinnie and I had one with some robot arm.

We're were super into these weird shows. Street Sharks, Captain Bucky O'Hare, and a few others that slip my mind.

We also had a poo poo load of 5 inch GI Joes and a few Street Fighter figures. Mostly, though, with 4 boys we had a ton of the 12 inch GI Joes. They're all packed away and I bet they're worth something.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Croccers posted:

loving Micro Machines. I was never able to get them as a kid because they were small and too expensive for their size according to my dad. So then at some later point I'm an adult and have money and nooope. Don't make them any more but at least I can still get cool Hot Wheels though.
But the insult here is that they relaunched the Micro Machines brand.
For The Force Awakens and that's it :colbert:

My little brother was huge into Micro Machines. We’ve got a 16 drawer tackle box chuck full of the little guys. My nephews love them and steal them bit by bit. That’s where the real value is. Something so cool and old your 4 and 6 year old nephews want them.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Growing up, until I was like 12, we’re we’re only allowed to watch educational tv on weekdays.

The only exception was The Simpsons. Thank god it was on 5 times a day.

It really wasn’t bad, History and Discovery Channel were a lot better back then.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

It's weird because my parents weren't concerned with violence or anything, it was purely from an educational perspective that I couldn't watch various tv shows on weekdays.

I remember my dad taking me to see T2, Face/Off, True Lies, and a few other R rated movies at the drive-in theater.

Edit:
For reference I was born in 87 so I would have been 10 when I saw Face/Off. Hell, I remember Something About Mary coming out and my mom renting and saying "You have to see this, it's so drat funny."

I was 11 at the time.

Beastie has a new favorite as of 16:08 on Jul 26, 2018

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

As funny as Married with Children is it really has some pretty bad views on gender roles and such.

It wasn't malicious or anything but it was very much husband vs wife.

My girlfriend and I watched all the seasons of Friends this passed winter. It's one of her favorites and I had never seen it, because growing up I was your average adolescent male dickhead that assumed it was for chicks.

It's actually pretty good, but it has some really dated 90's jokes and views. Whole bunch of gay and "dude looks like a lady" jokes that would not fly today.

Friends ended in 2004 and Queer Eye debuted in 2003 so I credit Queer Eye for really bringing an end to the "that poo poo's gay, yo" thing of the 90's.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

wesleywillis posted:

They're actually quite popular and capable as offroad vehicles.

My first car was a Samurai with 30 inch mud tires that my friend affectionately called "Tin Can Destroyer."

That car loving owned for throwing three people into, getting high, and cruising around town with the top off.

Just don't take a corner too fast.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

wesleywillis posted:

I guess they were a bit different than the sidekick, but I know people who refer to the side kicks as "side flips".

They're very popular among the 4x4 crowd as they are super cheap, you can drop certain Jetta engines into them, and they only need about 3 different tools to take apart.

Mine looked a lot like this minus the camo:

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Complete Idiots and For Dummies are still super popular.

I worked in a book store for 5 years and people always came in looking for them.

They’ve pretty much pivoted to writing books for specific phones and tablets.

Samsung Galaxy Note For Dummies, etc.

People buy them for that and finances (taxes, wills, etc).

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

The 90's was sort of a renaissance for good tv shows. Things like The Sopranos was a huge deal.

Why? Because people were loving sick of sitcoms. If you look at the history of the medium you'll see why.

Tv launched with nothing but talk shows or game shows in the 50's. That's all there was.

It stays that way for about a decade or so, then you get sitcoms. Sitcoms hit a low point in the 70's. They're formulaic, tacky, and have lovely one dimensional characters.

This trend persists from the 70's all the way to the 90's. People were sick of sitcoms. So the game was really set up for someone looking to tell an actual story, not just sell dish soap with lovely jokes around it.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I'm not saying sitcoms are dead, just that people were ready for something new. ER is a good example of 90's shows where they tried to break the mold and create something with meaningful gravity.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Fox in fact did that.

I mean, they were trying to increase views with a lovely gimmick. But to be fair watching a hockey game in 480p or less really really sucks.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Hal’s hobbies and him only having black friends is one of my favorite bits on that show.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

No Such Thing as a Fish covered the Macarena on one of their podcasts either last week or before. Los del Rio had a cd that was just Macarena 10 times in a row with two remixes at the end.

The band had been together for close to 30 years before they broke out with that song.

It also used to be a way more complicated dance but the dumbed it down for white people.

https://player.fm/series/no-such-thing-as-a-fish-167436/episode-230-no-such-thing-as-tinder-for-sloths

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Was the beef with him and Coolio over Amish Paradise real?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

I disagree that the home theater experience is the same, but then again I'm different from most people who are still happy with DVDs.

There's also the factor that the movie studios seem to be stagnating at indefinite sequels, limited original IPs, superhero movies out the rear end, etc. There really hasn't been anything I've been looking forward to seeing in a while.

For me it's that a ton of movies released theses days seems to be 2.5+ hours long. Every loving superhero movie is long as poo poo.

The last time I went and saw a movie in theaters (A Quiet Place) someone took a picture of the movie with their flash on. The general public are loving animals.

I'd much rather wait a few months and pay Microsoft $7 to stream it in 4k. That way I can pause it to go smoke and make myself a G&T. I maybe see two movies a year in theaters and one of them is usually a Star Wars flick.

Even then, I didn't see Last Jedi until it was stream-able, and I never made it out to see Solo.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Last Chance posted:

yes i remember some hard rear end lily pads they had at this hotel i went to. those fuckers hurt when you slipped and fell on them. wonder if they've gone away because of that

I managed a pool for a few years, but we didn't have these things. My guess is they completely obstruct a lifeguards view and therefore are bad,

Kids could get trapped under them, fall, and hurt themselves, etc.

It's the same reason a lot of pools don't allow inflatable rafts. The guards can't see poo poo and it's surprisingly easy to miss a human child-like shape at the bottom of a pool.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

You could beat someone to death with that keyboard.

Good luck doing that with one from today.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Wait, you guys ate at a table at Pizza Hut? We always ordered delivery only.

Yeah but home doesn’t have Bust a Move or Metal Slug.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I spent a bunch of money to see Tool last year and all of the fans were really chill metal heads.

Good show, Tool is good.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Ambitious Spider posted:

this is also a maynard quote from a recent concert

He also apparently dunks fried chicken into his wine to own the vegans. Whether a one off or a thing he does all the time, it's like come on dude.

The craziest thing was when I saw Tool last year Maynard was dressed in riot gear and stood at the back of the stage in near total darkness.

I can't figure that dude out.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

uli2000 posted:

Anyone else forced to watch Channel 1 News during high school? IIRC, it was Anderson Cooper and Lisa Ling's first broadcasting jobs. We had to watch it during homeroom just before the school's video news.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2M9l6hxy8No

edit-dear God, I figured there was gonna be a lot of 'I hated watching this poo poo in school' in the comments, but the number of unironic comments about it being leftist propaghanda and mind control is staggering.

Bad news folks, Channel 1 News got canned this summer.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Go to a Mastodon show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I definitely got Ultimate Doom for my birthday as a kid. I even did a science fair project on it!

I took my friends’ body temp, bp, and pulse before and after playing Doom 2 on Ultra Violence.

Results were......B-

This would have been 1996, I think.