Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
I'm the idiot that collected comics between the late 80s and mid-90s when companies were doing a great job convincing kids with low paying paper routes like myself that we needed to buy 5 different copies of Spider-Man #1 in all the variant covers.

I did a database of my collection a few years ago and compared cover price vs estimated worth and I spent something like $6k for a collection that's worth barely more than half that. And the issues that are worth the most?

Like Croatian said, loving New Mutants #98, followed by loving New Mutants #87.

I kept anything worth over $10 and donated the remaining thousand+ books to a local Native Youth Association for their safehouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Croatoan posted:

And that right there is why I PMd my wife this morning asking if I can get that New Mutants graded so I can sell it. Strike while the iron's hot and Deadpool III may suck so I need to sell this while the getting's good.

Comics grading is an inane racket, but if idiots are willing to pay substantially more than the grading costs for a graded book then I may do it too. But lol @ 8-12 weeks to return your comics...

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Are there actually any Grizzlies in Memphis?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Too bad the lead singer has apparently become a doxxing psycho.

John Popper is also a crazy prepper that was busted with 13 firearms in hidden compartments in a vehicle that was equipped with sirens, emergency lights and a fuckin P.A. system (lol) because he didn't want to be "left behind".

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Mu Zeta posted:

I know future generations will think Breaking Bad is boring

Future?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Murder, She Wrote was also the last television series to cut on film.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

FilthyImp posted:

Probably the whole editing pipeline cut on actual film with splices and poo poo before being mastered on whatever they used for broadcast

Yeah strictly editing rushes on benches and poo poo, then transferring the locked cut to tape for mix and broadcast. Shows shot on film for a while after that but transferred to tape or early digital editing editing after that.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
NewsRadio is the only sitcom deserving of praise next to Seinfeld.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Mu Zeta posted:

Agreed, but it sucks in retrospect knowing that a bunch of the cast hated Andy Dick even when they were filming.

Whenever this comes to mind I just think about the MMA episode where Joe Rogan judo flips Dick in the ring. It definitely looked like Rogan gave him a little extra hip on purpose.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Pretend I posted the New Thang lipsync video, that's p. 90s (mobile bungs up YouTube links)

https://youtu.be/_s0DYAv5FOo

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

wesleywillis posted:

Apparently so. When he was on Howard Sterna few years back, he said that he'd talked to one of Coolio's "people" who said it was cool, but that person, nor Al actually talked to Coolio about it. Which is why he now insists on talking ONLY to the artist themself.

Iirc Al's quoted as saying something to the effect of "He had a problem with it but he sure didn't have a problem cashing the check we wrote him".

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
The worst was the tiny little book from the original Alone In The Dark. I don't know how many times I lost that fuckin thing.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
There's also WWE storyline where the arsonist brother of an undead undertaker hosed the corpse of his dead girlfriend. It's not 90's (2002 I think) but close enough.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Xenoletum posted:

I'm pretty sure the kid playing the catcher in this is Goldberg from Mighty Ducks.

He uh, hasn't aged well.

u got that right

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

twistedmentat posted:

This is probably the only mention of that show. I've never seen it. I don't think any Canadian channels had it.

It was broadcast by Canadian Fox affiliates and definitely aired on the west coast. 14-year old me thought Yeardly Smith was kind of cute in a weird way but I quickly grew out of that mindset when I saw Erika Eleniak in Under Siege.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
I guess we were lucky in Vancouver to get Seattle stations like KCPQ-13 and KOMO-12 for all our American broadcast needs. Almost Live! was peak 90's PNW viewing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQRuNwOMzW8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGlDVmBLibg

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sb7GmolHTd4

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sb7GmolHTd4

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm always amazed at how many Simpsons clips on YouTube have a KCPQ 13 watermark. That's probably only 90's to me as I lived in the Seattle area, and that was our Fox affiliate at that time :3:

KCPQ was rebroadcast in British Columbia so anyone growing up in Vancouver watched Simpsons and Married with Children on the same channel as NW Washington state. Always loved Almost Live even though I didn't understand half the jokes. Fat people live in Tukwila! Hahahahaha!

And always remember, you can be a Q kid too!

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Those look like Garbage Pail Kids ripoffs IMHO.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
A friend of mine saw Green Day play at a burger joint in Edmonton just before Dookie came out. The club across the street had either stiffed them on upfront pay or were putting them on first against their wishes, I don't remember exactly. So they said gently caress you and played their set for free directly across the street at the burger joint. He said he knew the instant they started playing that were going to be huge.

The band got invited to a house party that night and, in his words, "they hosed everyone's girlfriends".

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMuElf1_OoM

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

mactheknife posted:

lol what it is extremely easy to like all of those bands at once (i do not, because pearl jam are dad rock trash)

Years ago when Starbucks had those free iTunes singles cards at the counter I saw one for Vedder's solo album. He was strumming a banjo in a beached canoe on the shores of a lake and without thinking I yelled "Eddie No!" and everyone looked at me funny.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Splint Chesthair posted:

Kids in the 80s/90s also got to see sanitized versions of those movies shown on network TV. My first exposure to Robocop was on the ABC Saturday Night Movie or whatever. Fun for the whole family.

Or if you were lucky, like in my case, your Grandma got a 2 week free promotion to Superstation and recorded every movie she could onto SLP VHS, then gave a whole stack of wildly inappropriate and uncensored 80s films to you when you were 10 or 11 years old.

I got 6 hour film marathons on each tape with combinations like Manhunter / Predator / Ruthless People and Commando / Goonies / Big Trouble in Little China.

RIP and thanks for the inspiration Grandma Connie, I'm just about to start my 23rd year in the film industry.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

twistedmentat posted:

I mentioned this in the GBS 90s thread, but span zips. If you were pirating big games, like maybe 20 megabites, you could use a compression program to break it up into multipart zips or rars. Just have to hope that one doesn't get corrupted or the disk is bad or whatver.

When we took trips to visit family in Hong Kong in the 90s my dad took us to the pirate software malls in Sham Sui Po. We quickly learned to buy two copies of games because invariably one of the 3.5" spanned install disks would be corrupt. It was still worth it because the pirated copies were 1/10th the price of the legit box back home.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Funky See Funky Do posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtvmTu4zAMg

Released in 89 but I think most people would have heard it in the 90s.

Roland used to come into my local in Holloway back in the early 2000s and it was SO hard not to walk up to him and yell "SHE DRIVES ME CRAZAYYYY"

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dUuwbFH0u4

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dUuwbFH0u4

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

this is from an absolutely legendary real estate listing of some kind of ridiculous party mansion in the california desert. 1989

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/74380-Palo-Verde-Dr-Indian-Wells-CA-92210/2091180249_zpid

100% would love to own Pee Wee Herman's gently caress Palace

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
The Spawn soundtrack is also incredible and an excellent workout album.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spawn_(1997_film)#Soundtrack

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
This one is 1994

https://youtu.be/rubKIb7_lFI

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
I'll always remember Ryan MacKenzie getting sent home from grade 9 for wearing a shirt that read "Don't like my attitude? Dial 1-800-EAT-poo poo" and had a cartoon of a little green gremlin holding a rotary phone with one hand and flipping the bird with the other.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
I had this and it was as awesome as you would imagine. I can still remember the feel and smell of the slime.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
The director is a child molester.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
The 90s are as far away now as the 60s were in the 90s. So when you tell your kids about the music you listened to when you were their age, its like your parents talking about Manfred Mann or the Beach Boys.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Their live shows are gross and good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

dialhforhero posted:

I was, not least of which is because it had an amazing intro song.

The best part of the last Dr Strange movie was the hearing the theme song sting during a certain character reveal.