Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

What the hell is this pic, and what makes it cute exactly?

Somebody has a new favorite as of 14:47 on Nov 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Say Nothing posted:

Snoof snuffle snuffle, Elephant shrew!

This gets said a lot in these threads but yeah that's a Pokémon if I've ever seen one :3:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

God I love that picture, although it reminds me of several others that end a lot more bittersweetly

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Tardigrade posted:

Convergent evolution! They're the monitor lizard equivalents in the New World.

Have another arboreal critter, the red-crested tree rat.

I know I've said it a lot in this thread, but yeah that's a Pokemon if I've ever seen one

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

too many bears, he should have dialed back on the bears a little...

also have a story about how 19 Manatees had to be rescued from a drainpipe

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

and as if Penguins couldn't get any more ridiculous

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I know it's a tired meme, but those frogs are the definition of Feels Good Man

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Say Nothing posted:

King of dogs.

I'm half expecting that dog to turn into a canine version of Gaogaigar(also I want to smoosh my face into it's fur)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Birb Katter posted:

Trigger warning: Owls are cute

This is probably somewhere between the fifth and tenth time I've said this in this thread, but yeah those are Pokemon

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Bismuth posted:

They're fake goddamn why are goons so bad at telling the difference from a real animal and a sculpture? Real animals that cute DO exist, go nuts over them.
Heres a higher-res photo you can see they're made of felt:

Heres a real Owl and some real flying squirrels to get you started

Well those are also Pokemon, so my point still stands

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Nightmare Zone posted:

It also compromises the cubs' immune system (being around all those people constantly touching them).

On a lighter note here's a weird lookin' animal: a striped hyena! Like spotted hyenas but fluffy and a little more shy. :3:

if I remember properly, aren't Hyena's actually pretty easy to tame by Large Predator standards?(I know that's the case with Cheetahs)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I think everyone will appreciate this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Eg5-4Pn444

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Choco1980 posted:

No one will ever convince me that dogs can't smile.

But can they look up?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Beardless posted:

Hockey players and wrestlers both seem to have the same kind of burly badass thing going on in the ring/on the ice, and then when they're out meeting fans they're the nicest people.

There's a biographical comic about Andre The Giant and it's full of touching little moments

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Nordick posted:

Truly the goon totem animal. :3: :v:

If there was an online game where the players were animals competing in being cute, red pandas would be OP as gently caress and in need of a serious nerf.
Like, jesus christ guys, rein it in a bit. Give the others a fighting chance at least.

(:kimchi:)

EDIT: Actually nevermind, other animals are fine too. Such as cats and squirrels:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHT1nAX46dM

we need someone to get a status update on that squirrel :kimchi:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

what a clever cat :kimchi:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

it's raining in my bedroom somehow...

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

BattleMaster posted:

Second are beavers, third are porcupines.

I thought Porcupines were part of a different group?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Fat Loser posted:

If the Philly zoo has a tiny haystack that gives high-fives, then I know where my next vacation is.

I read that in Carl's voice

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Thread, I feel like we've known each other long enough. I'd like to introduce you to Emerson.

Emerson was brought into the Houlton Humane Society in Houlton, ME, by his previous owner, who got annoyed with him and "snapped" his neck (her words)*. He survived but his back legs are permanently disabled. The manager at HHS took him home and adopted him permanently. She also runs a grassroots animal shelter out of her home and fosters overflow and special needs animals, adopting some of the more difficult-case special needs dogs and cats. Her husband fashioned a wheelchair out of PVC pipes and wheels, but it was a little too heavy for him, so a kind person donated a custom-built wheelchair. When he's not bopping around in that, his mom wheels him around in this super cat stroller. The onesies are to keep his catheter (which is permanent because he can't go to the bathroom on his own) and wheelchair from chafing his skin and causing infections.

*From what I understand, yes, they have pursued criminal charges but I don't know what the ultimate outcome was. My guess is a plea deal of some sort is in the works.

Sadly, they got the big stroller because they found another cat in similar conditions and decided to make her Emerson's permanent sister. The two bonded instantly, but unfortunately a couple of days later, that kitten died from her injuries. So they found another disabled (from birth) kitten who doesn't have use of her back legs, so they're going to see if they'll bond too.

All of this (and more) can be found at their Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Emerson-and-the-Gang-at-the-Millers-Safe-Haven/383395388475018?fref=ts

But what I really wanted you guys to see is a video of Weeble, a cat with cerebellar hyperplasia (CH), which causes the adorable and not-very-dangerous weaving and bobbing. CH has varying degrees of severity, from almost nil to very wobbly. It's not particularly dangerous, but with severe cases you have to keep them away from sharp edges and steep drops.

https://www.facebook.com/383395388475018/videos/vb.383395388475018/532844516863437/?type=2&theater

Weeble lives at the Safe Haven with Emerson and everyone else.

This shelter is amazing and is truly grassroots. They only recently got their 501(c) status and are now an official shelter/foster/hospice. If you ever want to donate to an extremely good cause, please consider them. Also, the lady of the house posts videos of the animals just about daily, so if you want to follow them you'll get some daily uplifting photos and videos in your feed. :3:

Sorry if this comes off as a little rude, but is his neck permanently crooked like that, or is his posing in that pic a very unfortunate coincidence(also there's a very special section of Hell for people like that cat's previous owner)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Man this makes me glad that my old dirty bastard of a cat; Mr Tibbs/Tibbs/Tibby(that very first name is something he's literally never called but it was the name he had when we adopted him so it's worth noting in my opinion), despite being pretty drat ancient by cat standards(he was 2 or 3 when we adopted him and that was in 1999) is still rather hale and healthy outside of him starting to get some minor fur matting issues and losing some of his former athleticism(and I'm pretty sure he lost one of his fangs within the last 2-3 years but I'm not entirely sure as he doesn't like people looking in his mouth even by cat standards), also for a cat that used to be kinda a jerk(lord knows how many comics and magazines he chewed up during the first 5-6 years we owned him before he mostly gave up that habit), these days he's very sweet and affectionate(can't even count the number of times he's brought me out of a depressive state just by being there), I'll admit I'm incredibly frightened for when he does someday pass, as I'm not sure how well I'll be able to handle it on an emotional level(I've had him for the majority of my 24 years of life so he's very important to me), I'll have to post some photos of him and some of my other pets when I'm able to post from an actual computer and not the app once more

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Don't worry, he's getting jazzed.

And dipping a paw into what appears to be titled 'jazzy-jazz'

Jazzy-Jazz would make a great cat name

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

spooked owlette

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Centripetal Horse posted:

Cracked Magazine was talking poo poo about your buddies a few weeks ago: http://www.cracked.com/article_22466_6-terrifying-versions-cute-animals.html

I meant to rat them out when I first saw it, but I forgot.

Cracked's biology articles are often their worst ones(my friend Bogleech can attest to that as he used to write for them)

If I were wearing a suit of armor it'd be pretty hard to resist snuggling that big cat

BattleMaster posted:

"I have duck feet, too"

Whoever did that in the first pic is truly History's Greatest Monster

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

What the poo poo is wrong with that article? :psyduck:

1. Capybara - loving adorable, everyone knows this. This isn't even like jumping spiders which I think are adorable but a lot of people hate because they're spiders and some people are wusses. Everyone loves capybaras.

2. Jacob Sheep. Like a regular sheep but better. Four horns! What is there not to love about four horns? Regular adult sheep, including Jacob sheep, aren't cute though. At least Jacob sheep usually have dark eyes so you can't see their weird rectangular pupils. They're objectively less creepy than regular sheep.

3. Okay that catfish is gross, but most big catfish are gross. Little catfish, like "put in your aquarium to eat the goop" sized catfish, are very cute. Big catfish are not cute and if this is the first time you've discovered this you are behind the times.

4. That's a gross frog but to be honest so are most frogs that are bulbous and warty. It's big I guess? But seriously, if you're looking for "horrible creepy gross nightmare frogs", just look at any of the toads. Cane toads or Suriname toads especially. Now Suriname toads, they are nightmare frogs.

5. That shrew is loving adorable. Take a closer look at that snout.wav, etc. So what if he's venomous? The platypus is venomous and it is still adorable.

6. A loving potoo? Seriously? Okay this is how I know this has to be a loving joke. Whoever wrote this is scared of the goofy-rear end muppet owl.

Guys I'm beginning to think Cracked.com is not a legitimate news source!

Is it weird that I actually think Suriname Toads are kinda cute, cause for being part of a group already filled with Muppets, they are especially Muppet-like(if of the Labyrinth and Dark Crystal sort), plus that sort of Maternal dedication in nature is always pretty heartwarming in my opinion

Also I imagine Instant Jellyfish and some of the other people on SA who own sheep would take offense to Jacob Sheep being on such a list

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

I think Suriname toads are kind of cool in a really weird way, but the... holes... are kind of unnerving. I know lots of people have a lot of trouble even looking at pictures of them because they're all lotus-breast-y. The different ways different species approach sex and parenting are really interesting. I will always love alligators/crocs/etc for being lovely scary mums :kimchi:

"Mum! Mum! Look over there! Go that way!"

I follow the Sheep etc thread because I love all the cute sheep and goats there! If you are looking for cutest sheep, it is hard to go past the Valais Blacknose Sheep:

Admittedly when you have someone like Bogleech as a close friend your standards of cute become somewhat skewed compared to most people

Also that Gator pic reminds me of an image set I saw on Tumblr of a female Godzilla carrying 10 or so babies around a city in a sort of "take your kids to work day" kind of thing, and it's the most adorable thing ever, if someone else doesn't post it first I'll have to once I can use my laptop again

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

bimmian posted:

One of these will be mine in ~6 weeks :allears:

Wanna hold and snuggle that whole dogpile, what kind are they?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Hope you're prepared for how huge and freakishly strong they can get when fully grown, I remember when I was 8 my cousin's Retriever dragged me across a street, and left me with some of the most severe injuries I've sustained in my life

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

bimmian posted:

This will be #2. And I'm not 8, so I think I'll be fine.

Well said dog had dragged adults as well, just not as bad as it had done with me(heck I remember one time it tore a bolted down table it was strapped to right out of the ground)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Away all Goats posted:

This will always be my favorite African animal picture

I'll admit if I was a super rich bastard with much looser scruples I'd totally own a bunch of Cheetahs, although that route would almost inevitably lead to me becoming a Super Villain(heck considering how easy they are to tame, I'm actually kinda surprised there never was any attempts to domesticate them, seems like it'd be comparatively easy by animal standards, heck you'd think that'd have made them popular in the Circus and Movie circles, but I guess people fixate too much on Lions and Tigers even though they are a lot harder to work with and a lot more dangerous in comparison)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

NLJP posted:

Shouldn't have touched the electric fence.

edit:

This did in fact happen. Akbar the Great tamed and hunted with (Asiatic) cheetahs. Turns out they don't breed in captivity well at all, though. I dunno if that is solved in Zoos these days but certainly wasn't back then.

too bad, cause can you imagine fully domesticated Cheetahs, it'd be amazing

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

Actually Cheetahs are descended from ancient domesticated stock, which is why they are chill with people. The downside is that the Cheetah genepool is terribly inbred and a real problem to the ultimate survival of the species :(

Huh, never heard that theory about them being domesticated in ancient times, although I did already know about them being super inbred by mammal standards(like they're pretty much the only mammals that are more inbred than Humans, which is pretty drat amazing since all modern humans descend from a group of about 10,000 humans who survived some ancient volcanic cataclysm in Africa)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I thought Caffeine was terrible for cats though?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Elias_Maluco posted:

The reason is that they weight 30 kg instead of 3 kg. Cant you really see how a cat almost 10x bigger would be a lot more dangerous as a pet?

Wouldn't the same argument apply to a lot of the larger Dog breeds as well?(especially since a lot of them get even bigger than a Cheetah)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

ToastFaceKillah posted:

One of my cats is a purebred rear end in a top hat, and if he doesn't want to do something he will gently caress you up if you try to make him. Getting him into a carrier if he needs to go to the vet is an ordeal, and it takes my vet and three techs to hold him down for shots. What I'm saying is that he might actually be a stubby cheetah.

I see you included a Banana for scale

Dingleberry Jones posted:

Notice that cat didn't even thank that dog for rescuing it. Just like a cat.

He was probably too embarrassed to give thanks

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

God that makes my cat of Maine Coon descent look microscopic in comparison(although I'm fairly sure mine isn't a purebred cause while he's quite a long cat, he's very light, and mostly made of fluff)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Didn't know dogs could take levels in Druid:kimchi:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Some breeders in Germany are fixing the pug at the moment:

Neat, always figured it wouldn't take all that much breeding to start fixing some of the Pug's worst physiological issues, although I'm trying to remember what other breeds are similarly troubled, can only think of the Bulldog, the Spitz, and maybe the Collie(due to everyone wanting theirs to look like Lassie despite the original being either a mutant or a mutt, can't remember which though)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

DarklyDreaming posted:

A few people keep raccoons as pets but from what I hear it's hard to pull off, they won't learn commands and will escape at the earliest opportunity. Also they are dextrous enough to unscrew jars so unless you're really careful they will get into your household cleaning supplies out of curiosity.

so basically Cats with Thumbs then

oh jeeze:kimchi:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Mocking Bird posted:

Also, I post this image every once in a while just to remind people to follow their dreams, even if that dream is Salamander School :kimchi:

Real life Muppet(also Giant Salamanders are simply fascinating creatures)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

just makes me think of this; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_F83rANuhw

• Locked thread