Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Hydrolith posted:

Phalanx has been in operation for 30 years.

These things are only designed to target missiles and other projectiles. Small, fast-moving stuff coming right at the ship. It's not quite the same as a sentry gun that identifies and fires on enemy soldiers and only enemy soldiers.

Sort of. Later blocks of Phalanx have a surface-enagement mode so they can target things like speedboats. Phalanx is virtually useless against threats like the supersonic ASMs in the above gif because the range is so short that it's only going to get one shot off while the missile passes through the engagement range, and even if it does hit now you have a broken and burning missile body still flying at your ship at supersonic speeds and you're pretty hosed anyway. Goalkeeper is marginally more useful because of its longer range but it's more accurate to say that those missiles were designed to deal with the defense those guns are capable of. They don't even put Phalanx on new ships, the last-ditch close-range anti-missile defense now is RAM, a navalized Sidewinder missile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

ArcMage posted:

RAM isn't actually related to the Sidewinder.

It's heavily based on it, I was simplifying a bit for a one-paragraph post in the gif thread. From that wiki link:

quote:

Also known as RIM-116A in US service, the original version called Block 0 whose design is based on that of the AIM-9 Sidewinder air-to-air missile, from which it took its rocket motor, fuze, and warhead.

Sidewinder wizardry:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

gently caress everything, we're doing 20 blades!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

That's one lady you want near you when the snowman apocalypse arrives.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

Greg Land has been phoning it in for years.

Mightygodking has a whole series on this:

http://mightygodking.com/ultimate-power-2-very-naughty-edition/

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

It's possible this is apocryphal, but I gather that in the Vietnam war, when troops were being extracted from jungles, they would use explosives to clear the jungle for the Hueys.

If the LZ they cleared was not quite big enough, the Huey would clear the LZ by itself, using its main rotor. Not full trees, I don't think, but I definitely heard that it would do light vegetation and branches.

Light vegetation is one thing. Actual trees gets you this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW5Dxizy4ZE

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Thanks for the hard-hitting journalism, CNN:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Tin allotrope transition?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Thump! posted:

They cost just shy of a million each, around $800,000 a pop or so. In the expanse of government military spending, they're a drop in the pool.

That's India's Brahmos missile, that's a unique launch profile and it travels at Mach 3. That is an expensive missile, multiply that cost by 3 and you'll be in the ballpark.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

That'll leave a mark:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Nobody parties like a jockey:

http://i.imgur.com/hJ55vty.gif

Possibly NSFW because butts.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Parking difficulty factor: 8 out of 10

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

That'll do it.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Beaten, nevermind.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Nice, I'd never seen that behind-the-scene footage of what King did between takes.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Don't do it, mang, her womb is polluted.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Rough Lobster posted:

Has Jamie Lee Curtis ever not looked like an old grandma?

Uh...yes? In addition to the said aforementioned True Lies bit, there's

:nws: http://i.imgur.com/LDfJifT.gif :nws:
:nws: http://i.imgur.com/dGv0FUn.gif :nws:
:nws: http://media.giphy.com/media/JGP1DCZQj7lNm/giphy.gif :nws:

Or maybe your grandmother differed from mine.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Mummy sequel looking good.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

FredMSloniker posted:

It's a rig NASA used to test space armor plating. The yellow wedge pushes air down the tube, which then constricts, causing the air to push even faster, which sends the pellet out of the tube faster than they could manage with a one-stage air cannon.

It's a light-gas gun. A conventional gunpowder charge drives a piston which compresses hydrogen gas into a small chamber that's obstructed by a burst disc. The burst disc is there to prevent expansion of the now-compressed hydrogen until it reaches a given pressure level, at which point the burst disc ruptures and and hydrogen then expands explosively to propel the projectile.

It's not air, because the pressure wave traveling down the barrel can't move any faster than the speed of sound in the working fluid. You use hydrogen or helium because the speed of sound in those gases is much higher than in air, so you can achieve much higher muzzle velocities.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

I made $100.05 giving blowjobs during the downtime

ObLigatory: Who gave you the nickel?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Hyperlynx posted:

Google produces zero results for "steam vacuation" but I wanna know more about the physics of this.

Bottle filled with steam. Bottle placed in water. Steam condenses rapidly. Bottle now filled with nothing. Air pressure pushes water into bottle.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

C.M. Kruger posted:

http://i.imgur.com/4UIUEc7.gifv
A nuclear reactor going critical. (turning on)

Actually turning off. That's a TRIGA, if you pull the control rod it heats up, the core expands, and rapidly reaches a configuration where fission can't occur. But while it does that you get a little power spike that you see there in the form of Cerenkov radiation.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

But always — do not forget this, Winston — always there will be the intoxication of power, constantly increasing and constantly growing subtler. Always, at every moment, there will be the thrill of victory, the sensation of trampling on an enemy who is helpless. If you want a picture of the future, imagine this:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Group of Somali immigrants in Sweden start attacking a 60 Minutes camera crew for some reason. Some other Somali immigrants defend the camera crew, culminating in this badassery:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

ryonguy posted:

I can't wait for the free market which is not at all known for maximizing profit above all else including safety and functionality to take over the space race for the benefit of all. :ancap:

Let me know when private space industry has killed as many people as the government programs. NASA alone has a death toll of over 20, counting only active tests and not astronauts in training. China and Russia are both up in the hundreds.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

El Mero Mero posted:

If you want to see the results of a flight market that's close to an unregulated private market you should just look at Alaska. Whole lot of puddle jumpers and very little oversight means that the state's air safety record is garbage.

Saying GA is "close to unregulated" is asinine. It's just as regulated (heavily) as it in in the other 49 states, the difference is that a big chunk of the GA market in the other states isn't flying into and out of extremely remote areas where there aren't even any airstrips, let alone controllers or ASOS broadcasts.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDaS2Dofu1E

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRva7z8pvwc

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007