Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Lamprey Cannon posted:

Nah, I think it looks fine. Compared to the ridiculous impracticality of the double-bladed lightsaber that's become so popular, a light-claymore seems perfectly reasonable.

Yeah, that's honestly one of the smarter modifications one could make. Though unconfirmed rumours are saying that the two ports at the sides are just vents of sorts rather than a deliberate crossguard, on account of that lightsaber being shoddily made and unstable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Lotish posted:

Well we saw in Two Towers that he's literally lighter than snow, so it checks out.

He doesn't actually need to be lighter than snow, just light enough that the pressure per surface area that his feet exert doesn't break a certain threshold.. Snowshoes work by the same principle.

:goonsay:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Ghostpilot posted:

"Vilderness Girls!" :haw:

Aw man, it's a shame they don't make parodies like this anymore. :allears:

When I first watched Loaded Weapon it was in german which has no real analogue for the beaver-euphemism, so that scene was just kinda apropos of nothing. For years I wondered what the gently caress was up with that drat beaver until I'd finally learned enough english to make the connection. :haw:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Goddamn, this gave me blue balls. It kept looking like it'd overtake and break over him any moment now.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Bumblefuck! posted:

In keeping with my usual subject matter, here are some gifs from another movie I absolutely adore; The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans

That movie is probably the most Nic Cage movie of all Nic Cage movies. It owns. :allears:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Xenoletum posted:

At what point will a steel tanker implode on itself due to a substantial pressure differential among outside forces.

It can be done reliably on a smaller scale at home by boiling water in a metal container, sealing it, and dousing it in a metal container.

The myth itself was if it's possible for tankers to do this though.

You can also do it in an even smaller scale at home by taking a regular drinking can, emptying it, and then holding it upside-down above boiling water to fill it up with steam (hold it with tongs or something rather than by hand). Then, still holding it with the opening pointing down, swiftly dunk it into cold water. It should implode pretty energetically more or less the moment it touches the surface.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I think he transforms into his bigger, more sinister comic-booky persona in the film at times. But yeah, I don't get why if he has a more human-sized version, which he'll of course be in for most of the movie, that they made it look that poor.

Psylocke costume looking kind of rough too.

In the trailer he actually looked quite a bit more inhuman and menacing than here. I'm guessing they'll probably do a once-over in post with some CGI to make the whole thing look more convincing. So the costume might mostly just be there as a baseline and for the benefit of the rest of the cast during filming.

Edit: They did a similar thing in the new Robocop. They put the actor in a fairly faithful suit during filming, but then went over it again to make it look more like a robot body than a guy in a suit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49XB-mUNU30

Perestroika has a new favorite as of 10:19 on Feb 10, 2016

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Nope.mp4

http://i.imgur.com/tIHdGlJ.mp4

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Zzulu posted:

wasnt the katana designed to be a fairly agile weapon? Something you could draw quickly? While the european longsword was a weapon you wanted to use against heavily armored motherfuckers and stab em in the face

in fact, in these tests the katana wins in most tests
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDkoj932YFo

They're not that dramatically different in usage. The longsword's usually a bit longer and most varieties are somewhat stabbier, the katana cuts somewhat better due to the curvature, but they have similar dimensions and are usually both about the same fairly light weight of ~1-1.5 kg. Both of them were more commonly worn as sidearms, a backup in case the primary weapon (usually a bow or polearm of some sort) became unavailable. Neither of them was particularly good against armoured targets.

Both weapons have seen a significant amount of development over a long period of time and were used in distinctly different contexts, so comparing them directly is fairly pointless. Many of those youtube tests along the lines of "how well can it cut a freestanding tomato" or "how good is it at hitting a bolted-down piece of steel" are basically functionally meaningless.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Dang, Genki Sudo really changed his style.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Gromit posted:

Thanks for that. I know next to nothing about guns and thought that pulling the slide back was enough to guarantee a round was chambered, but presumably you get misfeeds often enough for a serious shooter to want to check? I only noticed him do it once in the film so thought this was something unusual.

I guess in that particular scene he did it because it's a pistol he looted from a random security, rather than one that he brought himself. Presumably his regular guns are good enough that he doesn't have to worry about a misfeed, but you never know what random garbage got issued to hired goon #157. :v:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Gave me instant Vampire: Bloodlines flashback, complete with the awkward animations. :allears:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I mean, we already got bears on grindr, so...

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

A really neat look into this is the VFX breakdown for the series Mindhunter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Di4Byf1EzRE

It's maybe a bit of a special case because Fincher is a bit insane, but it's remarkable to see how a bunch of incredibly minor adjustments can make a huge difference for the framing and mood of a scene. Really, what's more important than the pure technical quality is having a director who's experienced with using CGI and knows when and how to incorporate it into a shot.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Videogames were a mistake.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The Repo Man posted:

So how is this movie, anyway? Good? Bad? Watch with friends while drunk bad?

Legitimately pretty good, if a bit weird. Definitely worth watching, especially with some friends and/or alcohol.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

drat, Genki Sudo had a hell of a makeover.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Robert Denby posted:

I recently got to see Police Story at the Museum of Modern Art with a packed house. Such a fun time.

The naming conventions for these movies always threw me for a loop. The first Police Story I saw was I think First Strike, which was pretty much a classic bit of lighthearted Jackie Chan action comedy. So then I noticed there's a fairly new one around, called "New Police Story". So I thought to myself, "Hey, that's gonna be more of that good stuff, all fun and games and Kung Fu fighting, right?"

It was not. Oh boy was it ever not. :stare:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Karate Bastard posted:

What am I looking at?

People applying cooling paste to their CPUs wrong. Usually you just apply a single small drop on top of your CPU, and the pressure of the cooler settling down on the CPU will distribute it evenly. Since cooler and CPU will sit very closely together, you really only need a little bit to fill in any tiny gaps that might occur. That dude is using way too much, so 90% of all that stuff is gonna squirt out when he installs the cooler, assuming the extra mass won't crack or bend the CPU (locking the cooler in place usually requires a slightly scary amount of force). Also, getting all his finger grease up in there probably isn't going to be much help for cooling either. The other gif just has the paste installed in the wrong place, it goes on top of the CPU and not between it and its socket.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Source of Happyness posted:

I've never quite understood the specialization of Flughafen-Feuerwehr-Simulator. Why not just a general fire fighting simulator with an airport/aviation module?

I beg your pardon?! A simple plugin for some generic fire fighting simulator could never manage the depth and degree of detail required to convey all the intricacies of accurate airport firefighting. :colbert:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Who... who the hell eats pizza folded up like that? :catstare:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Hel posted:

Don't worry the the episodes trilogy is scheduled for release by Christmas 2007, so it's just about 2/3 of a DNF, and that game still got released.

That's... not really a comparison that gives me hope. :smith:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

It's kinda roundabout, but at this point I'd almost go so far as to convert those to a video format like .mp4 (plenty of online hosters do that automatically nowadays), do the editing in a video editor of your choice, and then convert back to .gif, if you even need to. Video support has become so ubiquitous that you hardly need .gif anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

This guy actually got into a major fist fight with the dude in the background. They even had to call the police so it wouldn't escalate any further.

Fortunately, he calmed down after he had some time to sit down and reflect.