Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

jesus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Is this one of those personified OS-tans or whatever they're called? I could potentially see signs of Midna or an Inkling as well, among a million other things...

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Mr Tastee posted:

From what I've learned, a lot of the big brony stuff became popular because it was in the right place at the right time.

actually I'm glad MLP exists, every obsessive brony is one less creepy fan of something I might actually like

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Gender-swapped Chrono Trigger?

e: ahaha the robot, I don't know whether to laugh or cry

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

what's with the mouth in its spine?

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Colon Semicolon posted:

Alot of these freeform RPGs do that. there's not many where you are an actual badguy if you do bad things. New Vegas kinda gets it right, but there's very little reward for being a poo poo stain there, either. (Suprisingly few people actually WANT to play those routes if they're ever an option.)

This is true in real life, though. Most people wouldn't knowingly do harmful things to others if there wasn't a payoff involved. Most games, New Vegas included, give you an artificial abundance of resources and many more good/neutral choices to pick from. They love to hype up MORAL CHOICES but it's not a very hard choice most of the time. If you feel like being evil, be evil, feel good, be good.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

This is a good post in general but this is particularly awesome.

"CRIMEA" "OURS!"

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

I've had good experiences with PIA

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Small Frozen Thing posted:

referring to members of a mono-sex species as homosexual is a tautology. in fact, it is arguable that even mono-sex is an inaccurate term, since gems do not reproduce sexually, their emulation of such behaviors is a product of their emulation of organic life. steven is a bizarre homunculus created as the result of his "mother's" xenophilia.

furthermore,

what gave you the impression that they emulate organic life?

rockopete has a new favorite as of 12:41 on Apr 5, 2016

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Small Frozen Thing posted:

they explicitly state it, their actual body is a chunk of rock, the humanoid/monster "bodies" are magical manifestations that mimic but are not bound by organic biology

Sure, except they existed for a long time before encountering humanity, so I wouldn't say affection between gems necessarily counts as emulating something. It's possible but premature to say.

Kit Walker posted:

This isn't fan art, this is an actual comic. It's also nsfw.

Sorry, I'll spoiler it.

rockopete has a new favorite as of 12:42 on Apr 5, 2016

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

It's not too bad right now, it feels like this thread except restricted to SU fanart. But it can and does change without warning, so, yeah, stay away till mid June at least.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

They took multiple shots for that cover, didn't they? Could that be all of those spliced together with some smoothing and filling in added?

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Kwyndig posted:

Reminds me of Psycho-pass.

Funny, I was thinking the same thing. The suits even filter their voices to chibi-level.

(not fanart)

(fanart)

rockopete has a new favorite as of 04:43 on May 9, 2016

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

So Muffet is Grilby, Papyrus and Sans have sort of switched outfits, Undyne and Alphys are totally switched...why? What is the point of this? It seems so needlessly convoluted.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

I enjoyed this one right up until what the gently caress, fish tits. And Jotaro is never once seen topless, they did this specially for Undyne to show off...fish abs? And also fish tits indirectly? I loved Undertale but I also want to murder well over half of the fanartists.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Terrorforge posted:

Fun fact: in some parts of the world, particularly Europe and particularly particularly the Nordic countries, Donald Duck's popularity eclipses Mickey Mouse's. In these places he's become the de facto Disney mascot, and Disney products are sometimes rebranded to reflect this. For example, the Christmas special From All of Us to All of You (also known as Jiminy Cricket's Christmas) is generally called Donald Duck and Friends Celebrate Christmas, despite being presented by Jiminy Cricket and otherwise just being a generic Disney clip show.

Which reminds me; Disney comics have always been hugely popular in Europe, to the point of spawning an entire officially licensed native Disney comics industry. Probably the weirdest result of this was the Italian Paperinik; basically, in the late 60's they gave Donald Duck a "superhero" alter ego in the mold of contemporary pulp heroes. In English, the character is usually known as the "Duck Avenger".

So he's already kind of a silly crossover fan character to begin with, but the really weird stuff hit with the 1996 reboot Paperinik New Adventures:

Yeah, that's a gritty 90s sci-fi comic starring Donald Duck in a stupid mask and featuring at least two genocides.

The weirdest part is that it ain't half bad.

This is fascinating, thanks for posting it. Wanna read that comic.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Diabetes Forecast posted:

You know what, Gimme a sequel to Steamboy or another Redline. That's the good poo poo.

Steamboy is visually and artistically fantastic but not much else.* Not something I would put up against the classics. Haven't seen Redline.

*still worth watching once, especially with the terrific dub

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

That comic is genuinely disturbing, I had never encountered it before. Does it pick up again on the artist's site after that other series comes in?

SilverMike posted:

There's enough abuse of real children going around that no one needs to be guilted into reading about fake accounts.

Guilted, no, but this is more than just a "fake account". Clitch is right about the presentation, I'm curious what therapists and survivors might think of it. Christ.
Derail over.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Paladinus posted:

Imagine four rocks on the edge of the Moon. Feminism works the same way.

quote:

moon militarization chat

We've been here before
Project A119

quote:

The aim of the project was to detonate a nuclear bomb on the Moon which would help in answering some of the mysteries in planetary astronomy and astrogeology. If the explosive device detonated on the surface, not in a lunar crater, the flash of explosive light would have been faintly visible to people on earth with their naked eye, a show of force resulting in a possible boosting of domestic morale in the capabilities of the United States, a boost that was needed after the Soviet Union took an early lead in the Space Race and was also working on a similar project.
A young Carl Sagan was part of the team responsible for predicting the effects of a nuclear explosion in vacuum and low gravity and in evaluating the scientific value of the project.

rockopete has a new favorite as of 02:40 on Mar 3, 2017

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

JD-Smith posted:

Can someone please finally make the Undertale stop..? For the love of god already... It just keeps goin and goin....

It's been tried, don't bother. Just put him on ignore.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

"But there were definitely no eggs used"

egg in the clinical sense, like ovum (edible eggs use a completely different character). Weird.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

That one does use the edible egg character... What's this from?

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

CommissarMega posted:

Really? That's great! :3: Not in a 'I'm drunk-driving to Bonertown, baby!' kind of way, but between this, Adventure Time and Korra, it's good to see that kids are being shown that straight is not necessarily the norm. That said, execs/writers should put more outright gay dudes in cartoons, unless I've missed something.

Steven Universe also falls into this category if you're looking for more along those lines

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

I legitimately love Undertale, there's nothing spiteful about it. And the forums now automatically resize images to fit within the borders, no more table breaking gigantic images, so the issue is solved.

I believe you legitimately love it. Can you show some legitimate love for your fellow posters and timg it out of consideration for us? It doesn't matter whether it's Undertale or Batman or whatever, it's dickish to post giant images when there's a very simple way to thumbnail them so that the reader can enlarge it at their leisure. Even if it doesn't break tables, it still lengthens the page by a lot and makes it more difficult to navigate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

TopHatGenius posted:

What is it with anime and tank girls?

yet another thinly veiled excuse to obsess over yet more infantilized cartoon women. I like certain anime, I like most armoured fighting vehicles, and I would probably enjoy a decent anime in that arena. Girls und Panzer is not that.

• Locked thread