Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Laser slingshots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Leviathan Song posted:

I can't believe no one has mentioned Splinter of the Mind's Eye. Luke and Leia go to a swamp planet looking for a ruby that amplifies force powers to infinity. They bang in the cockpit of a Y-Wing. Then they kill Darth Vader by pushing him down a well. It's actually worse than it sounds.

Splinter of the Mind's Eye was also intended to be the low-budget sequel to Star Wars.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

shiksa posted:

should have been how the movie went imo

Almost was.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Mae posted:

Can someone find the wookiepedia article for that guy who was in frame running with a ice cream machine for exactly 1 second? That's my favourite

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Willrow_Hood

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Plus the Darksaber.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darksaber

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp
You know, Star Wars Rebels isn't all that bad. I didn't care for the cgi Clone Wars but Rebels is alright. It'd be a lot better if it weren't for the kid character. He should be a bit older, like more Luke's age in the original film, and less annoying. Or scrap him altogether, because it isn't like there aren't other characters on that show that couldn't be interesting if they were given the spotlight. And those are all the words I have right now for a children's television cartoon.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

effectual posted:

Have you seen some of the other Darth names? They're really stupid.

The whole concept of Darth as a title is dumb as gently caress. Same with every bar in the goddamn galaxy being a "cantina."

burritolingus fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Nov 26, 2014

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

My party befriended a Hutt professional wrestler named Hulka the Hutt. During the climatic battle for the end of the campaign he performed a hurricanrana an a large war droid by jumping out of a clone transport onto it.

Better than most EU events by far.

This should be in the next movie.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Hahaha holy poo poo.

The new rebels show counts as EU right?

I think the whole thing is there's no EU, everything they do now is just canon on par with the movies, so no, that's just Star Wars.

At least that's not the laser slingshot the kid character has to use.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

ManMythLegend posted:

For those of you hating on the light-claymore, I'm sorry you are lame and/or hate fun.

Yep.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Young Freud posted:

Yeah, Guardians Of The Galaxy was popular because it was grungy Star Wars that focused more on a group of mercenary ne'er do wells instead of the honorable galactic elite like the Nova Corps.

There was an element of mysticism in Guardians of the Galaxy which they wisely left mostly unexplored, like how the Force was treated in Star Wars '77. That's one of the faults of Star Wars: focusing way too hard on Jedi stuff, particularly glowstick fights. Empire got it just right. It gave us just enough Jedi stuff with Yoda training Luke (which never involved either of them dancefighting with glowsticks) while cutting back to Han doing scoundrel stuff to keep it fresh. The prequels are almost 100% Jedi business, and it's weird because you wind up learning more about the Force in Empire because almost all the prequel Jedi business is glowstick dancefighting.

Glowstick dancefighting is only cool when you only use it sparingly and has some kind of emotion behind it, but man, in the prequels, those Jedis whip it out at the drop of a hat. There's a loud startling sound in the first scene of Phantom and boom they're lit up. Wouldn't a Jedi, like, try to feel with the Force to figure out what's going on first?

burritolingus fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Dec 1, 2014

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp
Also, the Jedi of the prequels (and its EU) are pretty hosed up.

They're an organization that kidnaps babies and then forces their religious doctrines on these kids without their consent (including a vow of celibacy) and also trains these little kids in using a lightsaber at a very early age (some of those kids in Attack look like they're six), which is basically the most lethal weapon in the galaxy, and they don't have to answer to the Senate. Who thought any of this was a good idea?

burritolingus fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Dec 1, 2014

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

kingcom posted:

Palpatine did nothing wrong.

I've heard, according to the EU, Palpatine did it all because he was trying to prepare for the Yuuzhan Vong invasion by uniting the inefficient Republic under a strong leadership. If that's true, yeah, he really isn't the bad guy here.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

kingcom posted:

I like it when they get in gunfights repeatedly and nobody gives the kid a gun so he uses his lovely slingshot thing. Also how multiple crewmembers nearly murder him.

To be fair, he's totally annoying, so it makes sense.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

A reminder that they're sitting on 39 completed episodes of that awful Star Wars Detours comedy series with another 62 finished scripts ready to be animated, they've just held them back from release until Ep 7 comes out. The worst is yet to come!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSqslieMkcI

So they got some of the guys who did that Robot Chicken Star Wars thing and got them to do a G-rated version of that?

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Chomp8645 posted:

Hey it could be worse...

If it gets a kid involved in reading, that's great.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Im calling it first, gonna get rich with Dwarf Fortress novels.

You'd be better off writing about one of those popular phone games. Flappy Bird, the Novelization (actually I don't know what phone games are popular with kids).

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Bonzo posted:

Who has the comic panel of Vader holding C3POs head and crying?

Best part is they had the nerve to insert this into Empire's storyline.

david... posted:

its minecraft

Yeah, that's what I thought.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Sunshine Mix posted:

So I was wondering this last night...if the clone army was made in secret, how did they keep the construction of the blasters, dropships, spaceships, armor, etc secret? IIRC these were made by "established" EU companies like BlasTech, KDY etc and weren't made by the Kaminoans or Kaminoan clients building them in secret. Was there ever an EU explanation for that? Did Sifo-Diyas contact the equivalent of Lockheed Martin and ask them to develop new shiny spaceships on his lonesome and they we like, "Uh. Okay sure we'll forgo the deposit this time."

The official, canon explanation for this is that Lucas wrote episode 2 over the course of an afternoon and they never went beyond a first draft.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

...of SCIENCE! posted:

and yet they still manage to have Tatooine be a major player in the plot, have a guy who looks and talks exactly like Yoda act as your character's master, have two protocol droids serve as your bumbling comic relief, give you a palette swap of the Millenium Falcon as your personal ship, and have the villain be a deformed sith with a facial prosthesis and modulated voice

KOTOR II is better about this kind of stuff.

TOR isn't, though. I remember a prison full of carbonited convicts.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Otisburg posted:

wasn't the carbonite freezing in ep V which takes place literally thousands of years later presented as this dangerous experimental thing that might not have worked?

i get that technology is ridiculously stagnant in the setting but it's still silly that they made it into a commonplace routine thing in a story that takes place 4,000 years earlier

Yeah, but because they constantly have to scrape through the original films for references and material, carbonite freezing is a normal process in TOR.

There's even a cosmetic item you can buy that lets you carbonite freeze yourself so you can regain health and force mana.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Un_zuPd0Odk

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Doctor Schnabel posted:

Huh? What's wrong with that? I looked at it and it got me in the feels :(

Dumb that Darth built C3P0 and dumb that he recognizes a droid that looks like just about every other droid in the universe because apparently Darth was an unoriginal as a kid and just built droid recolors like he's some kind of Sonic fan (ORIGINAL CHARACTER DO NOT STEAL). Also dumb that he's having a cry over a robot and then feels nothing for his real son and even chops his son's hand off.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Wolfsheim posted:

I've always wondered what's the deal with those three random alien guys palpatine is hanging out with in every scene in the prequel. Are they other senators? Do they work for him? Why did he invite them to the space opera? Are they all friends? Is there an EU comic book where they all hang out?

They're his crew.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Woolie Wool posted:

If you want to single out one of the space furries, this is the one:

Yes, a Jedi Master who is the size and approximate shape of a Pomeranian.

How can you use a lightsaber if you don't have hands? (yes, he has a lightsaber)

Pull a Kreia.

Of the opinion that not every Jedi needs a lightsaber, like Yoda didn't need a little baby lightsaber.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Professor Shark posted:

This is actually not terrible compared to a lot of the dumb poo poo that has been brought up in here

Kreia was another one of those things KOTOR II did right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzLEBtObYxU

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

david... posted:

if that was from a dc comics person batman would have won because he prepared and had a shield of anti force materials or some dumb poo poo batman always has

Pretty sure there is a lizard you can carry around that cancels out Force powers, plus that metal that shorts out lightsabers for a period of time depending on who is writing it. But yeah it always boils down to "how much prep time does Batman need to beat that guy" and not can he.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp
Star Wars also has the Cathar. And werecats: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Felacatian

Meanwhile, Star Trek has Caitians.

burritolingus fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Dec 6, 2014

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

shiksa posted:

ahahaha oh my god you arent kidding

No. Like everything in this thread, it's true.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Dangit Ronpaul posted:

tbf aren't most planets/moons that we know of pretty homogeneous in terms of climate/geology? earth is kinda the exception there

Yep.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp
If I remember right, their technology was all created eons ago by a long dead race of smart people. Humans and other aliens found this old technology and got it to work, but don't fully understand how it works. Like, they don't know what makes a hyperdrive jump really, just that it does. So they can replicate the stuff and even make improvements and tweaks, but they can't really innovate.

But the real answer is they want Star Wars to feel like Star Wars regardless of what era it's in.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

OMG BYZANTIUM posted:

Wait, so was Anakin really supposed to be a virgin birth? I remember going to watch the first prequel with my dad (who was super excited, having seen the originals in the theater) and when Anakin's stupid mom announces that he was born without a man or whatever, my dad said "Oh for gently caress's sake!"

Yeah, he's legit Jedi Jesus.

There's also a part in the third one where it's kind of implied Palpatine (or his master, Darth Baddude) manipulated the Force to create Anakin.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

redshirt posted:

Plagueius, Sidious's Master.

Darth names are bad but which is worse: Darth Tyranus or Count Dooku?

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp
Darth Try anus.

Also Sheev Palpatine.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp
No Vader no hope. Know Vader know hope.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp
So they apparently got "Dooku" from "doku," the Japanese word for poison. Should have just stayed with Doku. Also supposedly Dooku means "from the rear end" in Portuguese, so he's called "Dookan" in the Brazilian version. Also a better name.

Ivor Biggun posted:

Darth Dooku

Perfect.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Like that Goku doesn't even need a handle for a lightsaber.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

p sure the early jedi used lightsabers that were hooked up to backpack batteries in order to beat the early sith that used alchemically hardened samurai swords to fight them with

Yeah, that's a thing they did. If I remember right, though, that's ridiculously far back.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Woolie Wool posted:

But in Episode IV the Force was perfectly balanced. Two Jedi, two Sith. :v:

This gets brought up a bunch and the answer is Lucas said Sith are imbalance in the Force, so by getting rid of the Sith, Vader did his prophecy.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

SaltLick posted:

http://time.com/3630886/star-wars-vii-the-force-awakens-trailer-names/

new star wars names are just as bad

boy im so scared of a dark jedi named kylo ren :jerkbag:

black guy named Finn you see it harkens back to mark twain its poetry

I like the names and I'm glad the guy isn't Darth Claymore or something.

The way they revealed them is also neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

ThePutty posted:

speaking of the battle of yavin, what happened to the enormous imperial fleet that was attacking the rebels

surely the rebel ships didn't blow them all up, they straight up say they can't take them all

They all died of broken hearts.

• Locked thread