Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I always just assumed the balance to the force was that everyone who used the force except Luke was dead and Luke was still really raw and untrained so he wasn't all that terrible light or dark side or whatever and just used the force as felt natural to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I thought I read somewhere that in star wars the lasers from ships and blasters are like literally solid and do actual concussive force. Like it fires off a chunk of solid light. And lightsabers were basically the same thing on a handle.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

SunAndSpring posted:

I want KOTOR 1 and 2 to be at least somewhat canon, as well as Kyle Katarn. That's about all I want to be canon again.

The videogames are better than the movies, at least when they are not just cloning the drat movies.

Yoda Stories is canon right?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

As the movies touch on, there is a Sith rule where there is one Master and one Apprentice.

In keeping with this rule, the apprentice Darth Vader had twelve sub-apprentices.

Antinnis Tremayne (Dark Jedi)[15]
Halmere (Dark Jedi)[15]
Lanu Pasiq (Dark Jedi)[15]
Gwellib Ap-Llewff (Dark Jedi)[15]
Galen Marek (secret Sith apprentice)[16]
Dark Apprentice (secret Sith apprentice)[17]
Kharys (Dark Jedi)[18]
Vost Tyne (Dark Jedi)[19]
Hethrir (Dark Jedi)[20]
Rillao (Dark Jedi)[20]
Lumiya (secret Sith apprentice)[21]
Flint (secret Sith apprentice)[22]

That's a lot more than the zero he should have had, and far outpaces the Emperor, who had only eight besides the ones that show up in the movies (for a total of eleven).

"A Nikto"[15]
Vergere[16]
Garth Ezzar[17]
Ferus Olin (informal)[18]
Mara Jade[19]
Cronal[20]
Lumiya[21]
Luke Skywalker (Briefly)[4]

Lumiya shows up in both.

I'm not going to bother trying to figure out how many apprentices each kept up simultaneously.

And then Dooku was doing the same thing in the probably-more-canon Clone Wars.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Dual wield because then you get to use two of your favorite colors duh.

I'm an orange/blue man myself.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I always just figured the rule of two was known bullshit and they just pretended to follow it when they knew very well that any apprentice worth his poo poo was constantly planning to murder you and take your place and any master worth his poo poo knew this and planned for it so both of the "two" of you had a bunch of secret apprentices to fight each other with by proxy.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Fetus Tree posted:

It was really racist for leia to call chewie a walking carpet

Dated too, people these days don't understand the concept of shag carpeting.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Calico Heart posted:

if we can post dumb fan poo poo there is a dude who has been working on a str wars fan movie for ten years of his life and last time i looked the facebook page/twitter/whatever had under a hundred followers even though his movie was talked about in another movie (Jedi Junkies, a film about sta wars spergs).

It was called "Tremors of the Force" if you feel like laughing/feeling introspective and sad

Ten years of the life for which you only get one spent on star wars fan film

I am going to imagine this is a star wars / tremors crossover and please do not correct me.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

*force users can detect other force users*
*sith / jedi constantly surprise each other with their presence*

Movies do this too, the fuckin emperor has meetings with the most powerful jedi constantly and they live like next door and they don't loving know any better.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

dog buttz posted:

I always liked the design of Kit Fisto. It's a million times more creative than the other 90% of Star Wars species.

"What if we made...a walrus man!"

He's that baby alien from MIB grown up.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

david... posted:

why does palpatine look like a nutsack

darkside makes you into a nutsack, light side into a pussy.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Clone/Jedi Mandalorian, is there a more obvious original character do not steal for star wars? I guess they could also be a smuggler.

People who know a lot about the EU: tell me about non-force users using lightsabers. Does it happen much? Is it at all cool or funny?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
lol god drat of course that's happened, why would I ever think otherwise.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

redshirt posted:

I know nothing about it - some racist gave it to me. I see a few other folks with the same AV.

Sup stupid avatar buddy

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
When it's good it's good but then sometimes they spend like 4 episodes in a row with jar jar or C3P0 or a diplomatic mission or that underwater planet that was really loving boring. If a set of episodes seem like they are being lovely just skip ahead.

Of course knowing what one knows about Star Wars from the movies removes a lot of the tension. You know Obi-Wan, Anakin, R2D2 and C3P0 all have to make it alive to the later movies etc.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Kimmalah posted:

So do all the Sith and secret apprentices do this too or is there some Imperial exception? Because it seems like banning all lightsaber construction would really be a problem if Vader's ever breaks.

Ban all but the red ones, sith win!!

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

david... posted:

did darth vaders dick get burnt off with his legs, probably really hosed up that whole region, poor guy

this is why he is strong, since the dark side is powered by hate and rage

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Young Freud posted:

This showed up on a friend's Facebook feed. He'd been reading through those Marvel SW books and came across Lando dressed up as Captain Harlock.

Marvel must have gotten some Captain Harlock tapes while they were working on Spiderman with Toei.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's even been done on even dumber lifeforms than animals and household appliances:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Force-sensitive_stormtrooper

Lightsabers for everyone!

This isn't too weird since the original concept art that lightsabers came from were just fancy beating sticks the stormtrooper cops had.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I like the Tie Crawler. It's a loving tank, apparently.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

what's up with the supporting poles on the circular ships? you don't need structural supports like that in a vacuum :colbert:

Elevators.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

TOILETLORD posted:

what's worse starwars eu or battletech books?

these are battletech books from japan

(I own them, because I like the cover artist, and asked someone to "find out what these books are" for me and they ended up just sending me copies)

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

TOILETLORD posted:

better art than most 80's battletech and 70's starwars

Well yeah, Sonoda owns.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Young Freud posted:

That's not the art for Battletech in Japan. That's the Mechwarrior siderules (why it says Battletech Roleplay underneath the kanji in katakana). Also, it's probably why there's a heavy emphasis on characters than mecha.

This is Japanese Battletech...

That said, whoever got some good and popular artists at the time to do those books. Studio Nue for the main book and Kenichi Sonoda for the Mechwarrior rules.

I'm a Sonoda nerd, not a Battletech nerd, so I don't know the intricacies. My apologies.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Any major lorenerds know stuff about Stargate EU? I wanna know if it's just as bad.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

kingcom posted:

Stargate EU is like, Stargate Universe. So its meh but not star wars insanity.

Well I mean there are novels and audiobooks and comics and poo poo, there has to be something dumb.

Or maybe something that deals with those Traveler dudes from Atlantis those guys were fuckin cool.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Work in a Tarkin reference and you're getting somewhere.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

That line is bullshit because what's he implying did it then? The Empire? Yeah those are dudes known for being accurate, sure. Meanwhile Kenobi has been at a podrace where sand people shot at them for fun and actually hit things.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
That poo poo owned a lot and...is probably one of the best Star Wars things ever made.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Milky Moor posted:

pozma n'ghole

best one so far

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

muscles like this? posted:

I want to know why there are so many droids who can't talk "basic." Seems like an rear end in a top hat design choice.

I can't decide if it's critically terrible to have astromechs not speak English, because their job can be a life/death race against time kinda thing and they should be able to communicate with their pilot efficiently as possible, or if the astromechs speak in code the pilots are required to learn and it's some kind of security feature so enemy units can't monitor pilot/astromech conversations.

I'm sure the real explanation is worse.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Clone Wars cartoon has it's moments but there are points where it does poo poo like "4 episodes in a row about a diplomatic mission to super boring planet, starring C3PO and Jar Jar" or similar bullshit.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Really though why the gently caress were they NOT cloning Jedi? Ok because it was a sith plot but clone jedi makes way the gently caress more sense.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Fonzarelli posted:

I legit think Kyle Katarn should be canon and in the movies somewhere

He's too cool for Star Wars, not givin' a poo poo about dark side / light side or "blaster or saber: choose one".

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Exactly. Dude's just using all the resources available to him and everyone else is retarded for not doing so.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Earth also opens up holes that eat people!

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

RFC2324 posted:

But enough about your mom.

:golfclap:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Grievous was IMO one of the less retarded prequel characters, though it would have been nice to get even a tiny bit of his backstory so that 90% of the people watching the movie wouldn't be left wondering why cyborg badass guy is wheezing and coughing like a lifelong smoker for no apparent reason

The clone wars cartoon says he's like that because Mace Windu hosed him up by like force-crushing his armor into his organs, I think? Of course the real, shittier answer is "so he can be like Vader".

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
That's kind of how star wars is, though. One black person per trilogy.

In fact they could go full retard here and reveal that it goes Mace -> Lando -> Finn if they wanted to probably?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Otisburg posted:

as long as they're doing all kinds of spinoffs give us a full length dark star warrior.

completely down with this for real

is it better to be a black person in star wars, where there's like three ever, or asian where there is like maybe one slave dancer at jabba's and then nothing else unless you count the super racist trade federation guys? I mean, Lando and Windu are cool, at least.

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Nov 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
When are we gonna get Yoda Stories HD?

• Locked thread