Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
So did they ever explain what Yoda's deal was? Is he the last of his kind, or do the other yodas not get on with him so he has to live in a swamp in the middle of nowhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

silvergoose posted:

If by they you mean the EU, it's very strongly explained why he was on that swamp planet, yes.

So what happened to the other yodas? Do they all live on that planet and that's Yoda's holiday home or timeshare or something?

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

That is very clearly yoda in drag.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

In his book on the New Hollywood movement of the 1970s, Easy Riders and Raging Bulls, Peter Biskind makes a pretty convincing case that Lucas may be on the spectrum. Apparently he'd refuse to talk to people or make eye contact, so meetings had to be heavily prompted by Francis Ford Coppola. When makiing THX-1138, Lucas spent months and months obbessively re-editing the film, until Coppola had to basically take the work print so they could have test screenings. The script for Star Wars became a denser and denser work of background lore with each draft.

Originally Lucas wanted to title the first film 'Adventures of Luke Starkiller, as taken from the Journal of the Whills, Saga I: The Star Wars' but was convinced to change it to A New Hope.

(American Graffti and THX-1138 are still great movies, so the guy at least directed three really, really good films).

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 16, 2015

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Gammatron 64 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-PdhARgL0c

I'm not gonna lie, I'm kinda interested in what George Lucas' Episode VII would be like.

It would probably be bad, but I'd love to see his treatment.

The Adventures of Luke Starkiller, from the Journal of the Whills, Book 7: The Force Awakens.

Also Lucas accusing people of not understanding the major themes of the stories and only wanting space battles. :allears: Lucas is a better producer than writer (though American Graffti and THX-1138 are great, and I think its a bit of a shame Star Wars overshadows them).

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Is the Holiday Special canon now or not? They should bring that out with a proper HD release, just for the novelty of it.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I got the feeling that Finn was just using the lightsaber as a blunt weapon, same as if he'd picked up a rock or something. Rey was a bit more skilled with it because she has the force, but she's untrained and doesn't know how to use it, so she was awakard and clunky.

I thought it was that anyone could use a lightsaber, but only Jedi can use them well, because of the Force? Like anyone can pick up a gun and fire a few bullets, but it takes a trained person to be a sharpshooter? I'm sure there's some terrible EU thing, but don't they give put lightsabers like sweets in that? Everyone has a lightsaber! Lightsabers for everyone! The prequels defiantly made them feel less special because there were so many of them. In the original films, when the lightsabers came out, you knew things were getting serious.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Ha ha, they let an ewok have a lightsaber once!

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Given how much silly stuff is in the EU, I'm suprised they didn't go with the planned idea of "humans in Star Wars are descended from Richard Dreyfuss's character in American Grafftti after they fell into a wormhole fleeing the world of THX-1138, oh and WIllow is apprently also canon now".

Apparently the book was pitched but turned out, because apparently there is some quality control! I like that no-one knows where the humans in Star Wars came from, it fits the ancient and mysterious galaxy with a long forgotten history thing the first movie had.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I've been reading about the EU with a mix of :gonk: and :frogon: because of how bad it is. I mean, I like Doctor Who, and the Doctor Who expanded universe outside the TV show has a lot of dumb stuff, but so much of the Star Wars EU is just so agressively dumb.

Like I was randomly clicking on "List of Star Wars Species" on Wikipedia, and for the Vong, who are meant to be this huge threat it says:

quote:

The only race the Vong saw as a threat, or as close to a threat as they were willing to believe, were Wookiees.

I get that Wookies are big, but the idea of an army of Chewbaccas scaring a race which have wiped out a big chunk of the universe, yeah....

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

The Doctor Who radio plays range from OK to really good. The actors all reprise their roles well, and the production feels like old Doctor Who.

It's the novels, especaily the ones from the 90s, which are terrible. Paul McGann played the 8th version of the Doctor in a pilot for a new TV show that was awful and never got picked up. However, the new pilot was canon, so they had a new current incarnation of the Doctor, with no TV show, so the BBC made an ongoing series of novels, two every month. One was about a classic incarnation of the Doctor, and the other was about the Eighth Doctor. The Eighth Doctor adventures had an ongoing storyline for some reason, so you had to read them in order, because even the standalone ones featured some minor plot point that would become relevant twenty books later.

The plot was about a race of time travellers who worshipped paradoxes and wanted to cause a really big one so they could wipe out the Time Lords. So they tricked the Doctor into making a paradox where he turned a herion addict into a really smug 90s left wing teenager to be his companion, which causes the Doctor's shadow to dissapear and lets them rewrite the third Doctor's regeneration or something. And the Time Lords knew they were going to fight something called the Enemy in the future, but didn't know what it was, so they become really nuts and bulid a lady who has a Tardis inside her head (!). Then Faction Paradox turn the Tardis into a giant bone flower thing to try and make the Doctor into the living version of the Grandfather paradox, but he blows the Time Lords up and gets his memory wiped and has to live on Earth throughout the entire 20th Century while the Tardis fixes itself. Then he's still got no memory of anything before, and his second heart starts rotting so it has to be cut out because that's his time lord heart (?). Then there's this guy called Sabbath who looks like Orson Welles, working for the Enemy which wasn't stopped by the Time Lords all being killed, and he puts the Doctor's heart in himself so he can travel through time and they both become invincible (?). In the Classic Doctor books, companions start getting killed off despite canoncally surviving, and Sabbath breaks the multiverse and causes all the earths to smash into each other. It turns out that the Enemy did it all to remove free will from the mulitverse so they could eat the energy of the lost timelines or something. Apparently the plan was for the Enemy to be the Daleks, but instead it turns out that it's a race of crystal skeletons (!) who resemble all of the Doctor's past selves (!). Then they find K9 plastered behind a wall in the Tardis to fight him and it turns out that the Doctor put all the imforation the time lords had in his own brain, which wiped his memories and stuck them in a pocket universe. Then it ends on an unresolved cliffhanger where the Doctor is all "well I better bring the timelords back or something I guess". This took 73 novels.

Thankfully, McGann got to play the Eighth Doctor again in the radio plays, and the BBC short film Night of the Doctor (which says that the novels aren't canon, yay!). And he was great in them.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jan 3, 2016

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

In one of the Doctor Who books during the "companions are being killed off" story arc, Sabbath's employers change the past so that one of the Doctor's companions get eaten by a werewolf. The standalone novels could be ok, but the storyline was....um not good?

The Virgin New Adventure novels are really expensive. Too pricy for bad fan fiction, even if it was offical fan fiction.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

RaySmuckles posted:

Can I ask a question? Once the death planet destroys the solar system's sun, what's their plan? Cuz like, destroying a sun in 10 minutes would probably have some pretty serious consequences, even if you were on a sweet space station planet. "alright, bob, let's turn on the heaters to +1000000 cuz the sun just went out. also, why is gravity imploding the planet?"

I thought the point of it was to look cool and scare people. The Death Star was meant to be like the mobile command for the head of the Empire, the Death Planet is a big WMD a fringe cult movement made. Like the New Order isn't as powerful as the Empire - they've got a lot of leftover resources, but not the manpower, terrtory or prescence that the Empire had. Like, you blow up the sun, then move to another one.

Star Wars is fantasy in space, not sci fi, best to ignore it before they write a ten part book series about what the AI that runs the weapon's food machines thinks about everything (and how it secretly saved the day once).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

The Doctor Who EU is wierd because Doctor Who is both very attached to its canon, but also doesn't take it too seriously. The best EU stuff is the standalone stories that could have been an episode if they were scripts instead, which is why the audio plays work so well (and having the actual cast helps. John Hurt is going to be reprising his role as the Doctor this year in them!).

Lost tried to have an EU, there were some really bad YA novels that were pointless. Remember when they introduced Nikki and Pablo in season 3, acted like they'd be important and they were doing secret stuff in the background before, but the fans hated them and they got killed off quickly so the show could go back to the actual plot after the writer's strike? The books were a worse version of that. The game is truly awful - it's not even fun in a bad way like say, The Walking Dead:Survival Instinct is. You walk around, talk to some low quality recreations of characters from the show (most not voiced by the actual actors), solve a few fusebox puzzles, and the game ends on a nonsensical cliffhanger, and was quickly declared non-canon to the show.

The oddest thing was the Lost Experience ARG. At first it was cool, hinting at the background of some of the lore, filling in some plot details, hinting at future storylines. Then it got wierd by focusing on a hacker lady. Fair enough, but then they did increasingly odd things like giving out chocolate at comic shops. There's a minor character in the pilot who gets sucked into a turbine, and throughout the first and second seasons, the characters pass around a manuscript for a novel he was carrying, just for something to read. They actually published the novel, and it was really, really bad, and had nothing to do with Lost except a few namedrops and being used as a cipher for puzzles in the ARG. Then the hacker lady turned up at comic-con to yell at the Lost writers in a scripted bit? Then it turned out that the numbers from the show were used to predict the apocalyse and that was the big reveal? (Note: none of this had any bearing on the TV show's plot, and was actually contradicted by the end of the show - according to the ARG, the DHARMA group was still active in the modern day, in the show it became defunct in 70s, stuff like that). And all of this was sponsored by Sprite for some reason.

They did another ARG the year after, but it was about one of the anonymous background survivors played by extras, and didn't cause that much of a stir. As much as I liked that show, the attempts at giving it an EU seem like a waste of time and money in hindsight.

• Locked thread