Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

EU is pretty bad and might cause brain damage.

hth OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Blistex posted:

Holy loving poo poo! So anyone who has actually had a spoken line in one of the moves, no matter how brief, has (at the very least) a 15,000 word bio on them?

No. This is why everyone laughs at how dumb star wars is. There is no side story, no side characters, no interesting story with mystery or unexplained nature the audience can think about. Everything is connected to the skywalkers, family of space jesus. Anyone who has ever spoken to them or in their presence becomes an all powerful main character.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Wolfsheim posted:

Please post the 20-novel series someone has written about all the guys at the conference table in the first star wars that just kinda awkwardly sat around while vader choked that guy that mouthed off to him, tia

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

There's an official name and back story to that hunk of metal kid Anakin gave to Padme too, I think it only shows up in the scene and has no plot relevance.

Theres an official name and backstory to darth vaders glove which gets sucked through a black hole created by the death star explosion and keeps going on through multiple books.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

That was a pretty good thread about those terrible books. :)

That thread was so good, why did it get closed!

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

burritolingus posted:

Also, the Jedi of the prequels (and its EU) are pretty hosed up.

They're an organization that kidnaps babies and then forces their religious doctrines on these kids without their consent (including a vow of celibacy) and also trains these little kids in using a lightsaber at a very early age (some of those kids in Attack look like they're six), which is basically the most lethal weapon in the galaxy, and they don't have to answer to the Senate. Who thought any of this was a good idea?

Palpatine did nothing wrong.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

burritolingus posted:

I've heard, according to the EU, Palpatine did it all because he was trying to prepare for the Yuuzhan Vong invasion by uniting the inefficient Republic under a strong leadership. If that's true, yeah, he really isn't the bad guy here.

The longer the EU lasted the more it turns out that there were no villains ever and the constantly rampage of destruction across the galaxy was actually just a series of social mistakes.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Blowing up a tax paying planet is dumb as hell though. Also started watching that rebel star wars show and drat it's dumb as hell too, not just for stupid lightsaber gimmicks either.

I like it when they get in gunfights repeatedly and nobody gives the kid a gun so he uses his lovely slingshot thing. Also how multiple crewmembers nearly murder him.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I saw the first episode and the laser slingshot was actually effective against storm troopers, then by episode four or so it was just making their armor shimmer and one guy went from dodging them to just taking a golden shower to the face.

Yeah, I guess its like a taser or something so it might be annoying to the chump storm trooper but most aren't putting up with that.

burritolingus posted:

To be fair, he's totally annoying, so it makes sense.

The droid trolling him repeatedly is the best part of the show and I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

every sentence of every book not uttered by, to or about thrawn is garbage

The ones about thrawn are bad too. HTH

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

It was well written.

:vince:

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

KiteAuraan posted:

I think it was when they did those episodes of The Clone Wars with pacifist Mandos and she just flipped her loving poo poo. So did all the loving nerds. It was funny.

I thought it was dumb too but if they flipped their poo poo it sounds pretty good.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

burritolingus posted:

Best part is they had the nerve to insert this into Empire.

gently caress, star wars is so bad.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Frostwerks posted:

lightsabers kinda played out. did any jedi ever chow yun fat about with a couple of blaster pistols, deflecting incoming shots with fire of his/her own? that could be different and cool. nope. laser swords only

Any time you come up with a not terrible idea for star wars its probably something thats in KOTOR2.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Frostwerks posted:

did that really happen in kotor2? even the blaster bolt deflecting incoming shots? thats kinda cool tbh. makes more sense for some jedi honestyl

Yeah, deflecting bolts was just something you could get if your force sensitive and some of the jedi you recruit are just way better at gunslinging than using a lightsaber.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

ranbo das posted:

There's a reason the clone wars series is the only non-movie thing disney decided to keep canon. It's unironically pretty good and gives prople like anakin and obi-wan actual personalities and depth.

Oh god im seriousposting about star wars send help.

Nah its bad, hth. Its like, mostly bad with some good arcs.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

dog buttz posted:

"with some good" means great in EU terms.

I mean I guess if your going by EU terms. They aren't Ice-cream guy good though.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

IAmThatIs posted:

Real talk though the best thing to come out of Star Wars is Battlefront 1 & 2 :colbert:

You mean TIE Fighter and/or KOTOR2?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

david... posted:

I remember nearly melting my pc trying to play a mod that redid all the ship models to scale including the super star destroyer...

That seems hilariously unwieldy. I mean the super star destroyer they put in was already ridiculously huge to begin with and took like 10 minutes to turn.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Fetus Tree posted:

Is tarkin any good

Its star wars so no?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Lamprey Cannon posted:

So, they never explained where that prophecy actually came from in the prequels, did they? I presume some piece of EU material came in to fill that void?

I'm pretty sure it came from george's butthole. Dont quote me on that though.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Fetus Tree posted:

why are you posting itt if you dont like star wars

The Something Awful Forums > Main > GBS - its kind of like a hip hop twitter > post the Star Wars EU thing that makes you cringe the most itt

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Fetus Tree posted:

If youre reading star wars eu at all i assume you like star wars

I liked star wars once. ONCE. Ice cream man is still the best thing in the setting though.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

TOILETLORD posted:

savage opress, cad bane, zero the hutt come to mind.

Darth Andeddu is the darth known for bringing people back from the dead.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

ThePutty posted:

it was probably something like that, yeah. i found the best mod was by those german steiner guys, at least back then it seemed pretty awesome

Empire at War was a sweet game. I got one mod that let you do all the clone wars stuff and upgrade into imperial tech.

Also

Wicker Man posted:

I just can't unhear Darth Goku.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Considering that "bringing balance to the Force" was the central driving theme of the two trilogies it's pretty damned ridiculous that none of the characters ever actually explained what the gently caress that meant, or exactly where that concept came from and why it was so damned important, or what effect it would have. Dumb EU explanations don't count for poo poo, it should have been made completely explicit in the films.

Remember star wars when it was a standard heroes journey but in space with some cool characters and a small part of it was about this weird side religion thing that gave you magic powers if you were really careful but it was mostly a state of mind thing.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Acne Rain posted:

the balance there is referring to various nutrients, what variety is there among the light side jedi to balance

Balanced number of lightsabers ?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Woolie Wool posted:

A sword attached permanently by a lanyard to a big heavy weight on your back is the worst sword ever.

To be fair, any sword is stupid when guns exist but we let it slide because someone occasionally wiping out a laser sword looks pretty sweet.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Harime Nui posted:

This is it. The Sith represent using the force for one's own desires, the Jedi represent living in balance. the KOTOR games may or may not be good (haven't played them) but they missed the point of the original series #StarWarsNerd #ButActually

Thats what they said in the KOTOR games though? I also want to say its KOTOR that actually defined what the sith were about and the sith code and all that first appeared there. Sith are about engaging with the universe and conflict, getting stronger and using that to enforce their will on the universe.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

I like how people forget you can just throw the loving lightsaber and it will come back to you.

I can just point this gun at you and it will just keep shooting at you. I don't even need to catch a flying chunk of plasma.

Harime Nui posted:

And that's why they need to be wiped out (or rather, they will always wipe themselves out). Star Wars is taoist.

Yeah sure, even if your going out as a pretty good guy sith your inevitably going to gently caress up and have things fall down around you. I'm not sure where the KOTOR is wrong part is fitting in though?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Harime Nui posted:

I've never played the games it's just, it sounds like the whole thing is "HEH, light side, dark side, can't you just see how wrong that is maaan" when all along the light side really just means 'balance,' ying/yang (or light and dark if you prefer) working together and 'dark side' virtually means just loving up

Thats KOTOR 2 not 1, KOTOR 2 is made by Obisidian and its less cant you see how its all wrong and more: people have been fighting over this light and dark side bullshit for 1000s of years and murdering millions of people who have no stake in any of it. Seems like if this is the 'will of the force' then the force is acting more like a malevolent being than anything you should be listening to.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Woolie Wool posted:

So she's an Objectivist then. :v:

Even plain old FYGM is automatically an infinitely better characterization than any canon villain.

Essentially, not a bad villain honestly as its sold to the player pretty well since shes your party member helping you out for 90% of the game.

Harime Nui posted:

There's the whole power crystal thing where green/blue/purple signify different things about the Jedi's personality and assembling one's lightsaber being every Jedi's personal coming-of-age ceremony and agh god how do I remember all this poo poo after 17 years :psyduck:

Thats definitely the stupidest thing that for some reason i cant get over. Particularly as it mean't that if your a bad person you use a red lightsaber as opposed to just being one that vader had from when he was a jedi.

ThePutty posted:

rando calrissian should have been in KOTOR 2 as lando's ancestor who gives long, unskippable speeches about kreia's genius

:vince: I think you just justified all your postings.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Pththya-lyi posted:

I can't believe I only just noticed this, but the Stormtroopers aren't even reacting to the zapping.

They've seen crazier poo poo in the EU, cyclops Leia is pretty small fry for them.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

albany academy posted:

Imagine if stormtroopers just have a "crazy poo poo pool", like they've been around long enough to know that at every climactic moment some really wild poo poo is gonna go down, do you think they take bets beforehand?

Probably, thats actually why they probably miss all the time because they know that they might accidentally hit someone who can turn in a rancor or something.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Fetus Tree posted:

No loving way. I thought for sure that was fake. Especially when i got to 'moffship'

Jfc

What up my Moffer!

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Fetus Tree posted:

Netflix did, and it stars kevin spacey. House of Karrdes

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

I'm just so tired of these star wars.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Tarquinn posted:

Okay, what's the story behind the red astromech droid the Jawas want to sell to the Skywalkers, but that explodes before the deal? What amazing adventures; which crime syndicate die it bust before Episode IV?

Turns out it was force sensitive and saw a future where if R2-D2 isnt bought by the skywalkers the empire lasts forever and it blows itself up.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

ThePutty posted:

what kind of galactic governmental force doesn't have an army? that's the dumbest thing ever

see, this is why the prequels suck on a whole separate level. every time you mention something, you can think of a billion more creative and interesting ways it could have been done only to remember what actually happened and live all the bullshit over again

Maybe they did have an army and everyone was all upset that the jedi spent a shitload of republic money to get an army nobody wanted or needed but the space military industrial complex wanted them. Also when they went rogue and murdered a lot of people/jedi nobody was surprised because the cloners were the star wars version of Lockheed martin and everyone realized they were actually a groverarmy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Moola posted:

Sith tryin to get a handsheevy

• Locked thread