Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The Star Wars EU was a weird beast before the prequels were released. It was just a series of novels that continued the story of the characters from the movies, some pretty good Dark Horse comics (Tales of the Jedi was amazing), short story collections that varied wildly in quality, and weird stuff like Droids.

Then the new movies came out, Lucas went all in with the cash grab, and rather then standalone novels and an odd trilogy here or there it was decided to write a 25 book saga about evil anti-force aliens invading from another galaxy and wrecking everything until a magical deus ex machina solves the whole war and coincidentally references are made to stuff from the prequel movies/books.

I was still following the EU pretty seriously and read about 1/2 of the Vong books, then the bugnest orgy book came out and I just gave up entirely. Apparently there was another 20+ book epic shortly after, and now no one is writing any timeline advancing novels in the Star Wars Legacy(c) because they want the new movies to come out and be able to write "canon" books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Cnut the Great posted:

i probably hate george lucas more than anyone in this thread and even i can tell he was loving with those dorks. lol at anyone who uses that as a reason to hate lucas, as opposed to the thousand actual legitimate reasons that exist.

$4.05 billion

And all he did was direct 2 of the originals (there's a reason Empire is the best of the 3), sit on his fat rear end and let the cash roll in, then decided he wanted more and made the prequels.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Fetus Tree posted:

i tried that game for like 20 minutes and could not get into it at all

it was seriously just boring as gently caress

Most of the game is boring as gently caress. They let people who pre-ordered the next expansion get a 12x boost to class/story exp, meaning you could level an MMO character on your own in a few days rather then months.

The Light side characters are all pretty stupid. The only good one is the Smuggler, who's entire motivation is "Wheres. My. Ship?"

The Dark side are pretty good, especially the Agent, which is more or less James Bond in space. Bounty Hunter is pretty cool because you basically murder your way to the top of the galactic power structure going "gently caress you, pay me"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Could someone list some specific things in KOTOR 2 which are evidence of deliberately making GBS threads on elements of the EU.

It more or less boiled down to "The Jedi were incompetent morons who didn't see the writing on the wall, scapegoated the poo poo out of the only person who turned themselves in, continued to prance around doing the exact same poo poo that led to the problems in the first place, and essentially both Jedi/Sith were by and large misguided idiots who didn't actually understand what they were doing"

Also, regular people could undergo training and become expert Jedi killers. It's really hard to quantify, but if you play the game all the force philosophy stuff that comes out is completely different from the literal Jedi=good Sith=bad.

Obsidian wrote the game script, went about developing the game expecting Lucas to pitch a fit over the writing, but then LucasArts demanded a early Xmas release, something like 6 months earlier then the expected release so everything originally planned made it into the game (expect for the stuff cut for time reasons but was still coded into the game and it took 10 years for modders to completely fix)

Aesop Poprock posted:

She also couldn't handle any sort of criticism whatsoever and called people who didn't like her books "talifans" because why not

What happened was she was essentially told by the publishing group/writers on the series contract that she had to follow the series outlines, not make major changes to established stuff, and stick to a certain theme/perspective, upon which she threw a huge temper tantrum and was dropped and no longer on the list of authors to contract out for Star Wars books.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

"Okay Karen, I know we asked you to try and channel the spirit of George Lucas when you wrote those books but this isn't quite what we had in mind."

She moved onto greener pastures.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

The primary Republic Fleet was built by Rothana Heavy Engineering, a subsidiary of Kuat Drive Yards. They built the fleet over ten years to avoid suspicion, and all the ships were secretly moved after construction so nobody caught wind of their intent before they were deployed to Geonosis.

KDY does most of the public business for the company, leaving Rothana to do the private contracts. Once the war broke out however, they didn't need to hide anymore.

BlasTech does business with anyone and everyone. A giant shipment of DC-15 series blasters wouldn't be much of a surprise when they are literally the largest gun manufacturer in the galaxy. And with a tiny three million man army, who's going to notice that shipment when the Corporate Sector's loving security forces outnumber the Clone Army?

I'm guessing this is a Karen Traviss quote.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Wait, after the sale to Disney, have they literally stopped writing the former "EU" book series?

Cause if so then the entire Star Wars EU canon ends with a book by Troy Denning, and I can't think of anything more apt then that.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

All EU from before the purchase is gone and will no longer be considered during future writing, which is good and smart.

They will still be producing EU content but there will likely be very little of it besides that Rebels show until the new film is out.

Yeah, no I meant the book series that keep moving the timeline forward. Think the last one ended 44 ABY. It looks like the next book series in line to be written was summarily cancelled by the LucasArts sale. Disney must know they can make easy money by just letting the writers work in a fictional non-canon SW universe. Just look at how much money the hundreds of non-canon Star Trek novels make.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

The Monkey Man posted:

I'm pretty sure that all the EU stuff from now on will be fully canon.

Giving what Denning inflicted on the franchise in the last big series and his final book, it can only get better.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

oohhboy posted:

Star Trek novels are entertaining pulp reads at worse. Star Wars is serious business with novel ways to rape, torture or otherwise mind gently caress people in every gratuitous ways.

I actually had a moment of sadness when I realized that a book series I read for close to a decade following the adventures of my favorite characters had ended. Then I looked up reviews of fate of the jedi and Crucible and realized that I had stopped reading right at the point where the entire EU became the worst. I stopped reading during the bug sex orgy books back in 2004/5, and one day I'll probably just get the e-books and skim through the entire EU series up to the "end" for the hell of it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I was going to post a link to Troy Denning's future after the Star Wars EU was cancelled for laughs, but it looks like he is returning to writing D&D books, so he's set for life.

There's nothing that fanbase loves more the serious and gritty rape mixed with insane super-powers.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

blowfish posted:

Don't forget unironic use of the words "fandalorian" and "talifan". Oh the travissty~~~

e:I almost forgot: if you hate mandalorians and like jedi you are literally hitler, too

I remember that when the New Jedi Order series started, all the writers involved had to meet regularly, discuss the overall plot, and make sure everything would mesh together. Because they got to kill an original character, Chewbacca, everyone seemed to take it seriously and there was a huge amount of collaboration between the various writers. People who got the Jedi stories would make sure the non-Jedi characters acted the same way, major events were planned out well in advance, and even with so many different authors there was a sense of continuity to the storytelling at least.

It's a hilarious state of affairs that the last 10 books of the Star Wars Legends series consisted of 2 authors so obsessed with their own fanfiction they more or less contradicted each other every chance they got and took their own obsession to higher and higher levels.

From what people have said online, Traviss' books weren't really bad until she started getting antagonistic towards the canon and then lost her loving mind trying to make 'Mandos' the greatest heros in the galaxy.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

david... posted:

lol catuman husbando

The 1970s and 80s comics get a free pass because they were so goofy, and typical of comics at the time.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Hellsau posted:

I never caught that bit of Phantom Menace. What other horrible poo poo did I miss from that movie?

My brain literally did not accept it until someone told me and then the second movie pretty much said it outright. Anankin's mom says more or less "There is no father" and even at age 12 I thought she just meant the guy that knocked her up just up and left her to raise Anakin on her own.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Fetus Tree posted:

i hope so because i have pretty much every eu book from teh 70s until 2005 or so sitting in boxes in my basement

I thought they were just to continue publication them all with a big "Legends" banner on the front and a notice on the back.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

A large subplot of his book revolved around him trying to date-rape Leia using his pheromones.

E: There's also a chapter where Vader and Xizor debate the ethics and efficacy of Imperial sociology in front of the Emperor.

The absolute best part was that Xizor was described as "physical perfection" as far as his body went, and was so bored by working out or training he had a special room where he could sit at a computer and force fields would exercise his muscles so he could maintain peak physical condition without having to do anything.

Star Wars EU knew their fanbase even in the 90s and blatantly catered towards them.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Gammatron 64 posted:

honestly it's really kind of depressing that people are getting worked up over what is "canon" and what isn't. it's all fictional. like watching the youtube videos of idiot nerd losers screaming in outrage about how dare the mouse say those stories aren't real is honestly starting to make me :smith:

like seriously I've struggled with depression and hated my life for years but I can't even begin to contemplate how terrible their lives must be if they choose to exist in a fantasy world like this. it's just so sad and pathetic.

My entire experience with the EU ending was me reading about it here, feeling bummed out for a night, and checking out the last book released in the series after not touching any EU books for 8 years.

After reading the last 20 pages of Crucible I was laughing so hard I couldn't even see. What the EU was to me as a child was a engaging series of books and comics where I could read about the lives of my favorite characters and their kids. What the EU became in the last decade was a complete joke of a franchise that no one at LucasArts really gave a poo poo about and just authorized contracts and deals to people on the basis that the original cast was untouchable and past that anything was possible.

I'd really love to see an interview with the LucasArts people and the writing staff involved with the very first NJO book where Chewbacca died where they had a meeting and worked out exactly what they were allowed to do, how Chewbacca had to die, etc. That seems to be the very last time the LA editorial staff exerted any influence over the EU novel process.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

SirPhoebos posted:

I Would Like To Know More!

William Shatner lent his name to/wrote a series of books where Captain Kirk is magically resurrected and goes on to fight the Borg and effortlessly beat them.

The Star Trek EU is completely self-aware and revels in it, making everything they do entertaining at the least.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

quote:

Jedi Prince (along with The Glove of Darth Vader, The Trioculus Saga, or the Son of Palpatine series) is the informal name given to a series of Star Wars young reader novels that "take up where Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi left off." The title "Jedi Prince" refers to Ken, the twelve-year-old hero of the series who teams up with Luke Skywalker and the Rebel Alliance to fight the Empire.

The Empire, led by Grand Moff Hissa and Supreme Prophet Kadann, attempt to install Trioculus as Emperor, claiming that he is Palpatine's son. Palpatine's real son, according to the series, is a madman named Triclops. Both Trioculus and Triclops are mutants who have three eyes.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

This is a legit good book and the voice it's written in is fantastic.

But man those third and fourth books really go off the rails.

What, the magical finger-chopstick aliens or the "Mormons take over the world"?

Also, the 2nd book was crazy sensible when 2 marine grunts jury a space shuttle together to fly from Phobos to Earth.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Reminder to everyone talking about Rape in the EU: Troy Denning wrote a scene where a thirty year old woman in a dominatrix suit sexually assaulted a fourteen year old boy.

Still not the most offensive thing Denning has written into the EU.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

blowfish posted:

also it was built by the bugs that had an orgy in NJO like a hundred thousand years Before the Battle of Yavin (tm) so obviously it must be more advanced than any modern weapon

Oh, and the other 4-5 races with several hundreds of thousands of years of history just sit around in their local areas twiddling their thumbs and do absolutely nothing while the galaxy burns. They all 'regressed' and the "modern" technology at the time of the movies is as advanced as it can get, despite the EU constantly inventing new and more advanced technology.

Gotta be human for anything you do to matter in the Star Wars galaxy.

blowfish posted:

So despite the star wars movies thankfully avoiding ~ancient superior precursor aliens~ the EU naturally brought them up over and over.

The EU turned the Force into a family of 3 immortal beings living on a planet that was the center/source of the Force. The central antagonist to the last EU book series was a magical force being that said 3 immortals tossed aside. The 3 would then hire the orgy bugs to build poo poo whenever evil being got free.

quote:

But as the years went by, the Mother began to age while her family remained ageless. In her old age, she could no longer control the Son and Daughter's rivalry, and she began to fear that her family would abandon her. So in order to hold onto the life she had, the Mother decided to commit the Forbidden. While the Father was distracted by his warring children, she snuck a drink from the Font of Power just as the Son had done long ago. She then completed her transgression by bathing in the Pool of Knowledge like the Daughter, but the Father discovered her. But unlike the Ones, she was mortal, and so the Font and the Pool corrupted and twisted her. They granted her power, but twisted her mind and her body, creating the dark side entity known as Abeloth.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jan 2, 2015

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I just remembered one.

Jacen Solo goes to some gem mining ship/operation that Lando Calrissian owns (of course) and finds a 1 in a billion gem, corusca gem I think, and Lando comments that its worth "a city block on Coruscant" and then Jacen goes "Um, no I'll use it in my lightsaber."

For that kind of money you could've bought a artificial gem making company and had them engineering the most superior light-saber crystal ever

quote:

Jacen Solo used a Corusca gem worth the price of an entire Coruscant city block, which he acquired at GemDiver Station, Lando Calrissian's mining station, to power his lightsaber. Ganner Rhysode was another Jedi known to use a Corusca gem in his lightsaber, until it was destroyed by Jacen Solo when he feigned alliance with the Yuuzhan Vong.

Same book had Tenal Ka use some shoddy flawed crystal she found because tough warriors don't need perfect crystals and it got her arm cut off. Then she cried about it and decided to be a tough warrior girl with only one arm. In a galaxy where near perfect prosthetics exist. Because drama.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's just a hamfisted reference to Dune

Uh now you see the spice mines of Kessel were the only planet in the galaxy that produced the eponymous spice, and highly addictive substance that heightened reaction times and

wait no that's definitely dune.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Jace Madan posted:

Oh, and Tenel Ka's first lovely lightsaber, made out of a loving rancor tooth and used crappy lava crystals.

Didn't work out so well, the blade disappeared mid saber-lock, got her arm cut off, then the arm remains were destroyed when the faulty lightsaber loving EXPLODED.

It's like the author wanted one of those "special episode" lessons in the series for some dumb reason.

Oh, and the heir to a major galactic power can keep her identity anonymous while a student of the only Jedi Academy in the galaxy, because when the books were written the authors didn't think that a massive information sharing technology would exist in the Star Wars universe.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Light Gun Man posted:

Any major lorenerds know stuff about Stargate EU? I wanna know if it's just as bad.

Roland Emmerich threw a hissy fit when MGM decided to make a show instead of a new movie and he approved a book series that followed the original movie and contradicts everything in the show. Listening to Roland Emmerich talk about Stargate he really seems like he doesn't understand storytelling. For him that Stargate was only going to exist on the 2 planets, Ra was the last of a mysterious alien race, and a couple of other dumb things that thankfully got completely ignored by the SG1 writing staff, who in turn created the entire premise for the show from literally just "Stargate goes whoooosh!".

And there's the run of the mill crap books/comics you get with any franchise. The only notable one is the story they planned for Atlantis if it didn't get cancelled where Atlantis returns to were it was because of a bomb or something the Ancients built into the city.

kingcom posted:

The worst stargate thing is the one episode with the mongolians who kill women if they look at men directly in the eyes. So i dont know if their extra stuff can be worse.

Funny story, the woman who wrote that also wrote the insanely racist Star Trek episode about the African tribal planet.

On a whole, long running TV shows don't get the kind of terrible EU book stuff like Star Wars did. Once the new movie canon starts I'm sure there will be a new series covering what happens after said movies by the same poo poo writers who ran the EU into the ground.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jan 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

SaltLick posted:

https://celebrity.yahoo.com/news/star-wars-star-arrested-carolina-high-speed-chase-200515584.html

Anakin not actually a good pilot/driver

wait wasnt there a part in the pod race where he went through a fence to an off section?

The absolute best part is the file photo they use is from 1999 of him playing a N64.

• Locked thread