Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

CannonFodder posted:

I never read these books and I still know that Chewbacca was killed by dropping a moon on him.

They killed him because everyone was tired of trying to figure out how you write for a character that just says "Grrrrr" all the time. The last few books he was in, he was always on some other planet just babysitting the Solo kids.

The EU was onto something with Anakin Solo being set up to be the next Darth but then Lucas got involved and wouldn't let them so they then made Jacen turn and undid 10+ years of character development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Neurosis posted:

and from what i have read in discussions on here whenever anyone like matthew woodring stover tried adding nuance to the sith and a little moral ambiguity an order came down from on high to keep it as simple good vs evil as possible

well that explains why Jacen has his poo poo together for several books while using Sith beliefs to help form an actual decent Republic army and then just looses it and kills a main character for nothing other than total shock value.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

FizFashizzle posted:

like i can't think of anything specific but kevin j anderson was consistently the worst author i've ever seen published.

Karen Traviss

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Force_walk

And this is when I finally gave up on the current EU stuff

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Flow-walking

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Howard Beale posted:

is lego star wars canon

I would buy a lego star wars cannon

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Spakstik posted:

Star Trek and all the terrible self-insert fan fiction it entailed

Doctor Who. My God that show as the most bizarre fanbase.

http://www.bbc.com/news/education-24914229

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Jedis count sheep to meditate and talk to force ghosts

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Beyond_shadows

quote:

Beyond shadows was the name given to a realm of the Force to which Force-sensitives went when they separated their minds from their physical beings. The locations beyond shadows each had a corresponding, real location in the physical galaxy on a planet in the Maw. The technique of separation was practiced by the Mind Walkers at Sinkhole Station, a space station in the Maw. To go beyond shadows a being first went into a state of meditation and then pictured one number at a time, beginning with the number one and finishing with seven, which, when pictured, completely severed the being's mind from their body. The sensation felt by Force-sensitives when beyond shadows was that time was meaningless. Every instant felt as if it lasted forever. As such, it was impossible to keep track of real time while beyond shadows. This made going beyond shadows a dangerous task, as, although the Force could sustain a being's body for a while, the body couldn't live without nutrition forever and thus the being could abruptly die while beyond shadows. The Mind Walkers, however, were unconcerned by this fact, as they believed that everything was an illusion except for the Force.

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 29, 2014

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

What I hated about Traviss is that when it was her turn to write the next book of whatever sage was going on, the entire thing would screech to a halt while because every other chapter was about Boba Fett. The last story I remember reading was about his grand daughter or something.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

a starwar betamax posted:

is the new star war trailer canon

no but these are https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6mNrrf6XBA

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Who has the comic panel of Vader holding C3POs head and crying?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I read NJO when i was unemployed in 2009. I only read the hardcovers (which seem to cover major plots, the soft covers are just filler) because that's all the library had.

I've never read it but I hear the following saga, Dark Nest, was worse.

EDIT: Why look who wrote it

quote:

The Dark Nest Trilogy is a series of novels written by Troy Denning. They take place from 35-36 ABY. The novels detail how Luke Skywalker and his New Jedi Order confront the mysterious insectoid Killiks, who are a hive-minded species intent on conquering the galaxy. One sub-plot is the Skywalker family finding information on their ancestor, Padmé Amidala. Another sub-plot is the capture of Jaina Solo and Zekk and also features the birth of Allana, the daughter of Jacen Solo and Tenel Ka. It also shows Jacen's first abuses of power, that would later form the basis of the Legacy of the Force series.
Despite being a trilogy, the Dark Nest series followed the trend set in the New Jedi Order by having several character deaths in just three books, these included Lomi Plo and Welk, who featured in The New Jedi Order: Star by Star, and Sien Sovv, who figured strongly in the New Jedi Order series. As well as this, the story arc of Ta'a Chume, the Hapan Queen Mother was brought to an end when Jacen Solo gave her a brain hemorrhage after she attempted to kill her granddaughter and newborn great-granddaughter.

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Dec 4, 2014

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

Depends on how much enjoyment you can glean from two authors having an edit war appear as printed novels. Troy Denning and Karen Traviss hate each other, and spent half the time in their novels trying to contradict and kill off each others characters. Denning decided to curtail Traviss's Mandalorian storyline by shooting a Boba Fett and Clone killing nanovirus at Mandalore, essentially killing off all her characters from the Republic Commando series. Traviss did a one eighty and wrote "nuh-uh! No nanovirus could ever be that specific!" in her very next book.

Denning also treats the Mandalorians like goons who get outshot by loving Stormtroopers, and he has inexperienced maniac Jedi teenagers force push their hands through Mandalorian chests like they're loving Terminators. Denning loves to write Jedi as unkillable demigods who can literally pull force powers out of their rear end, like Luke projecting a hologram of himself over Jaina, tracking people across the galaxy using bloodstains, and using the force to blow apart pressure points on solid objects (in essence, taking the concept of Shatterpoint literally, instead of the more esoteric idea presented in the Mace Windu Novel)

The fact that any of this actually made it into the books just shows you how bad the editing and content control at LFL was. Who in their right mind would allow forum flame wars to be published?

I rolled my eyes IRL when Anakin Solo oozed Force energy when he died fighting the Vong.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

TOILETLORD posted:

also why are all the controls and electronics that keep vader alive on his chest where they are most likely to be damaged.

You mean like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj23dwWHukY&t=110s

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Howard Beale posted:

then there was the family member who had unusually high levels of electrolytes, brawndo calrissian

Or the tropical fruit mogul, Banando Calrissian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

boom boom boom posted:

lol Greg Proops is in this show.

He's the voice of the Pod Race play by play announcer in Episode 1.

• Locked thread