Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
A team in disarray, two drivers who can't get in to the grove of the current cars, and an engine with all the pulling power of Pastor Maldonado. 2015 should be another glorious year for the Tifosi...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

I have (due to work-related reasons) finally got on twitter, does anyone have a list of super cool and informative and nice accounts to follow so I can read about #megajet live ?

#thanks
http://connect.jamesallenonf1.com/f1-on-twitter/
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/f1-information/f1-twitter/

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Alain Post posted:

They at least had some vaguely promising lower series results.

Like look at Yoong's junior formula records ffs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Yoong
Alex Yoong was the new Ayrton Senna compared to Yuji Ide. After four races, the FIA had a word in the ear of Super Aguri and said "You should probably drop him before we officially withdraw his superlicence." So they did, then the FIA took away his superlicence anyway.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Dec 10, 2014

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

My dream three car team would be Pasta joining Fingerkind and Kimi at The Prancing Donkey.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I can neither confirm nor deny the rumour that I might have been at that lake on Sunday afternoon.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

Bernie paid him off (or cast a spell, idk).
Apparently it was after having a meeting with Bernie. I imagine it was like being in an extended cut of the Exorcist. (Small person with rotating head included)

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Talking of the FIA...

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Gmaz posted:

Chrysler still makes cars river barges?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Gmaz posted:

What a daft move by FIA. Putting FR3.5 into GP3 category instead of GP2
It's a mixed reflection of current series value and the FIA desired series value. FR3.5 and GP2 might currently have equal worth in people's eyes, but by giving more points to GP2 you tilt future development in GP2's favour. I'd probably argue Indycar and WEC are the undervalued ones; they're 'destination' series in their own right, not just feeder series.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

be nice wicka posted:

children by the million scream for max chilton when he comes round
It looks like is is doing Indy Lights this year with an eye to Indycar in '16. His bank balance talent and expertise is going to help Carlin's USA expansion plan.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I'm bursting with anticipation for the first time Das Fingerkind does one of his sarcastic radio messages and the Ferrari management throw a wobbly.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

CratSock posted:

Ron, you damned crazy hippie, tone it down! I count at least FOUR colours in addition to black and white. Outrageous.

Perhaps we should dedicate this year's thread to him? F1 2015 - The Ron Dennis Appreciation Society (worst thread).

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Given their pace advantage at the end of last year I wouldn't be surprised if they turn up with basically a 2014 spec engine, still have a modest margin over the Renault and Ferrari engines who have used up all their development tokens, benefit from another six months of R&D then blitz everybody when they finally switch to their 2015 spec around August.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

F1 edition of Question of Sport on the BBC

Horner: "We've got two ex-McLaren drivers here"
DC "Kevin still is"
Horner: "Of sorts"

Probably the only time I'll chuckle with Horner this year.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Feb 26, 2015

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Gmaz posted:

Dare I say, female Max Chilton?
She makes Max Chilton look like a biologically engineered Senna-Prost-Mansell hybrid. With a single career high of 13 (next best result 17), she stepped aside for the final two weekends of last year. Dean Stoneman took over and promptly managed a pole, two wins and a second.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

RALF posted:

Compare that to Ralf Schumacher. He didn't get into F1 because he had some nice tits and rear end, instead it was solely raw talent that brought him there.
However his wife did show off her airbags.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

So TheEvilDrinkCompany(TM) have unveiled their actually livery. Think exactly the same as last time, but with a splash of purple.

edit: beaten like Moseley.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Mar 2, 2015

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Monaco 1984, Jerez 1986, Silverstone 1987, Hungary 1989. If you can get your hands on it, the whole Senna-Prost-Mansell era (say '84 to '93)

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Farmland Park posted:

I didn't even know there was a Mick Schumacher.

Neither does Michael.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

RALF posted:

United States 2005
And Austria 2003. making GBS threads in it's own slippers is a fundamental part of F1.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Then Germany 2000 and Britain 2003 for a double-header.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

captainOrbital posted:

What was the deal with Austria 2003?
Sorry, 2002.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

cheesetriangles posted:

Decided to start following F1 this year since I already pay too much money for a cable package with NBC Sports. What is a good team to follow?
If you're a fan of Corporate Buzzwords: McLaren
If you think the ability to suck your own dick is the peak of human achievement: Ferrari
If you're an annoying hipster with an inflated sense of self-likeability who leaves a wake of people thinking "What a nob", and you have a taste for poo poo drinks: Red Bull
If you look at hipsters with an inflated sense of self-likeability and think "I want to be their friend": Torro Rosso
If you're either a glory-seeker or a middle-aged man going through a midlife crisis: Mercedes
If you like foreign art-house movies even though deep down you know they a bit poo poo: Sauber
If you're a virgin who lives in his mum's basement and are destined for a life without achievement: Manor
If you're a non-caucasian and you want an end the anglo-saxon hegemony: Force-India (even those it's a team of Anglo-Saxons, based next door to Silverstone)
If you're always pretending to be somebody you're not: Lotus.
If you have a soul: Williams

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

dor1 posted:

Personally i wouldn't call Monza poo poo, but the racing there isn't excellent.
A better example would be "Monaco is poo poo and should gently caress off".
Monza is better these days, but around 2000, during the worse of the refuelling era, it was consistently atrocious. After the first corner melee, everybody would circulate in order for 1/3 of the race, everybody would dive in to the pits, then do the remaining 2/3rds of the race circulating in order. Barely an hour* after it started, it'd be over in an entirely predictable fashion.

At least with Monaco there's a chance somebody will stick it in the wall.

* the short duration of the Italian GP is another bugbear of mine. To deserve the 'Grand' superlative, the race needs to be closer to 2hrs.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

gret posted:

So Van Der Garde appears to have won his case in Australia.
This is why F1 is so glorious. No other sport manages to so routinely find novel ways to piss itself in public.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

aequalis posted:

It's only a short duration because the cars cover the 300km distance (the distance that most races are) in a faster time.

edit: Oh look, Wikipedia: "Formally, for a race to be called a Grand Prix, it should have a race distance of at least 300 km.[1] This rule can be said for every Grand Prix which was ever on the Formula 1 calendar with the exception of the Monaco Grand Prix – which has had a race distance of less than 300 km since 1968."
The official rule is that "the distance of a Formula One race is the least number of laps exceeding 305 kilometres". I know why the race is over quickly, I just reckon the rule is wrong. The number of laps should be set for an estimated race time of ~1h30-1h40.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I admit the introduction of a fuel limit has caused a problem for my long-held view.

On the Sauber issue, I expect VDG to mysteriously fail a drug test. He'll protest his innocence, then years later we'll find out they spiked his drinks.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

poty posted:

I feel that the last couple of Hungarian GPs being good was kind of an accident but otherwise his opinions make sense.
It seems to have a decent chance of being wet in any given year which equals entertaining. I disagree with his suggestions that the A1-Ring needs more corners; it's its simplicity that makes it charming compared to the usual excess of corners at a Tilke track.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

It was the scene of the greatest ever win, by the greatest ever driver. Mansell in '89

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Damon Hill in 93
Hamilton loves the place, Button got his first win there. It clearly sits on top of an anglo-saxon hellmouth. .

• Locked thread