Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###

Rolo posted:

Dead Silence wasn't a particularly clever or original scary movie, but drat it has some creep to it. Worth a watch if you like cookie cutter supernatural horror.

You nailed this on the head. Great atmosphere and cast, everything else felt flat. It's too bad, it's not easy to create that feeling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

Captain Lavender posted:

It's hard to encapsulate that movie - not to like oversell it or anything, but it's really unusual.

It's like a parody of teen horror, while also being a parody of a teen horror parody, [plus 2-3 meta-layers], and in addition, it's not a parody.

I went into it expecting garbage and left quite happy. The Scream franchise wishes it was that clever, but Scream is too far up its own rear end to really do anything well.

I gave Blood Glacier a watch on Netflix and it's good time. Mostly practical effects, sprinkled with some mediocre CG. It reminded me of The Thing...if it was a bit goofy. It has some sad parts though :(.

Watrick has a new favorite as of 06:27 on Feb 11, 2015

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

Lamprey Cannon posted:

The denouement involves the main character and his ex-girlfriend adopting a litter of dog-human hybrid babies made from his DNA.

Yep. That about sums it up.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

I love Horror in almost all of its forms. I watched the first ten minutes of Smiley and goddamn is it terrible. There is a Bloody Mary type figure that appears when you type "I did it for the lulz" three times during a video chat. I gave up when the characters started talking about how they knew each other from /b/.

On a positive note The Prowler was a good watch. Sub part plot, it has a generic plot of every early slasher movie, but the kills were bloody and graphic. It washed the poo poo taste of Smiley out of my mouth.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

I would recommend Housebound as an incredibly well done horror movie (that has elements that make it work even for non-horror fans). I don't want to give too much away - just watch it.

I watched this last night and it was excellent. Likeable characters, good fx, good writing and story, and it kept me interested the whole way through. This gives me even more hope in modern horror.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

Vriess posted:

Yes. It's boring.

Nothing they've made is as good as that Malaysian piece in 2. That poo poo was awesome.

I really dug the second piece, the one with the invention. It was a lot of fun and holds up well to the Malaysian piece. The other two are bad, especially the first. Calling it a found footage is a blatant lie.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

Strange Circus is a great watch on Netflix. It's odd and surreal, and goddamn beautiful. If you want to watch it go in blind, spoilers take away from the story. Also, if you hate subtitles stay away.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

wormil posted:

Zombeavers did not fail to deliver. Pretty much Return of the Living Dead meets 80's slasher meets wacky monster movie. The hand puppet beavers work with the outrageous concept and save it from being half-rear end. The shots with beaver eyes are pretty good but were a bit overplayed. I kept expecting some twists on the personalities but they played it fairly straight.

Thanks for posting this. I was on the fence, but I'll give it a watch now.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

I've been watching Between on Netflix, and it's not very good. It sounded like it was going to be a mystery, but there isn't really any mystery. There isn't much drama either. The characters are hardly characters, they lack personality and I don't give a poo poo about any of them. I'm going to finish it, but I'm not expecting much.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

I finally got around to watching eXistenZ on Netflix and I was impressed. I've heard it compared to The Matrix, but I don't think that's totally accurate. It's closer to Inception than anything else (well, now that Inception out).

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

wormil posted:

Last I checked it was off streaming

It's on Hulu still. Also, it was really weird watching The Commish after watching The Shield. I kept expecting violence.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

I watched the first two episodes of Bojack and it didn't really catch me. Parts made me laugh, but I don't feel compelled to watch the rest of it. Is it a show that you need to watch all of for it to click? Or is it just not my speed? Should I give it a few more episodes before I throw in the towel?

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

I know goons have love for Danganronpa. It's up on Hulu.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

Ryoshi posted:

There's a show? The games are a guilty pleasure but only because they scratch a murder mystery itch I didn't realize I had.

Yep. It's the first game animated. It's broken up into a few arcs over 12 episodes or so. It feels really rushed, everything happens fast. You lose a lot of what made the game interesting in the process. However, if you've played the game it's not a bad time. I love Monokuma's voice.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

Mr. Pickles is up on Hulu. I've watched the first 2 episodes and it's delightful!

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

I found out Masters of Horror is up on Hulu today. If you don't know what that is, it was an hour long show on Showtime (I think) where they had a bunch of horror directors have a go. Some are better than others, but if you love horror it's a fun time.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

I'm almost finished with season 1 of Fresh Meat. I've never really liked college shows, but this is pretty drat good. Likeable characters, well written, and it has a story rather than just being a comedy.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

At first glance, that smacked of an ABC Family preteen sci-fi/drama. Did I count it out too soon?

For reference, what little of Hemlock Grove I've seen is some of the worst media produced by a profit-seeking entity that I've ever had the misfortune of being subjected to. I only bring it up because it's another Netflix series described as supernatural and scifi, and I want one of those Men in Black memory eraser thingys so goddamn bad

What's frustrating about it is that is has lots of really good ideas, they're just executed terribly. Hell, the writers admitted that they didn't know what do to with season 2 so they just essentially remade season 1. Season 3 is just confusing, as if they forgot they had already had established characters. The series was on a nose dive from the first episode.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

Big Centipede posted:

There's a movie about ChristianMingle made by ChristianMingle on Netflix. It's called ChristianMingle.

Holy poo poo, you weren't kidding. I wonder how much Lacey Chabert was paid to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

Crazy Heads is a British dark comedy about two women that can see demons and do their best to fight them.
They are... not great at it.

This is great. Thanks for the recommendation.