Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Frank is really, really good. You should watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

coyo7e posted:

Sort of like how every IT professional cringes whenever someone enthusiastically tells them they have to watch Chuck or The IT Crowd?

Why would anyone cringe about watching IT crowd?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Len posted:

Because anything after the first season is meh?

Look at this wrong opinion and laugh.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Len posted:

Does Denholm Reynholm come back to life? If not it's the right opinion. :colbert:

"The Work Outing" isn't in season 1, ergo, season 1 can't be the best season. :smugdog:

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

I agree, Housebound was pretty good. It goofed with conventions in a pretty decent way.

I watched A Coffee In Berlin on a lark and really enjoyed it. It's a talky-young-adult-angst movie, but its a good one.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Chef was much better than I thought it would be. Sweet without being overly cloying. Even the obvious re-marriage happy ending wasn't that bad. Plus Scarlett Johansson and Sofia Vergara are ridiculously hot throughout. I'm worried that Jon Favreau is just going to explode at some point in the future though.

The Institute is a documentary about and ARG that was played in SF that some of the participants took waaaaaaay too seriously at times. It's basically "stupid white people (and one really stupid asian girl) the movie". ARGs are dumb. Except for the one for the Tomorrow's Harvest release. That was pretty cool.

Hannibal Season 2 is on Amazon. It's a beautiful fever dream of a show.

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt made me laugh a lot. Ellie Kemper is a qt.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Deadite posted:

Has anyone else watch Beyond the Black Rainbow? If so, would you please explain to me what I just watched?

I feel like Netflix accidentally added a movie you would only find playing in a display at a modern art museum, and gave it cover art that would trick the viewer in to thinking it was a 70s throwback scifi thriller

You watched a very stylish film that was ultimately let down by a shallower narrative than it deserved and a bad resolution (I'm talking about Dr. Nyle simply falling down and hitting his head on a rock.). That being said, I really like how it looks, love movies that have to do with strange spiritual cults/research groups in the '60's and '70's, and really dig retro-synth scores, so I actually really liked it in spite of its failings.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Starry Eyes was garbage.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

The Babadook was fantastic.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Keep On Keepin' On is a fantastic documentary about legendary jazz trumpeter Clark Terry and the deep relationship he has with one of his students/proteges, blind pianist Justin Kauflin. I was choking up the entire movie.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Will you guys help me annoy Netflix or Amazon enough that they'll put How It's Made back on streaming? That show is my ultimate sleep aid.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

gently caress yeah! Danger Mouse is on Netflix.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night was really, really good.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Werner-Boogle posted:

I need your help thread. This weekend I'm gonna be doing 3 consecutive 9 hour night shifts where I will have nothing to do. It's basically gonna be 27 hours of just me and my computer so I was thinking of just binging on a show to keep me awake. I have access to Netflix and HBO Nordic which to my knowledge has pretty much every HBO series.

Due to studies and having a kid I haven't really watched a lot of TV shows the last few years, so just throw whatever you really like at me. Even stuff you think that EVERYONE has seen, I'm pretty sure I haven't seen it. I have seen Breaking Bad though as the only recent and majorly popular show that springs to mind.

Also, I was thinking of watching that movie Nightcrawler since I hear it's very good. Yay or nay?

Watch True Detective on HBO if it's available.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Forceholy posted:

After you finish the series, watch the spinoff movie In the Loop. How can you watch this and not want to have Malcolm Tucker's rear end in a top hat powers?

In the Loop is loving hilarious. I never knew it was based on a show... :aaaaa:

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Here's several I've recently watched that were pretty drat good:

Beltracchi: The Art of Forgery is a documentary about one of the best fine-art forgers in the world. He would find holes in an artist's repertoire and paint something in that style. He fooled art critics, experts, collectors. He claims that some of his work still hangs in museums, still undetected as forgeries.

Cartel Land is a doc about the Mexican drug war, focusing on a grassroots Mexican vigilante group called the Autodefensas, and minorly on some crazy US vigilantes who basically just want to shoot brown people. Some of the descriptions by innocent Mexican citizens of what the cartels do when tribute isn't paid, etc. is loving heartbreaking.

Dark Star: H. R. Giger's World is yet another doc. Per the title, it's about H. R. Giger, going over his youth and spending a lot of time with him after his stroke until his death. Bonus points for Tom G. Warrior cameos.

Electric Boogaloo: The Wild, Untold Story of Cannon Films is a doc about the history of Golan-Globus and Cannon Films. If you've ever watched an '80's explosion/titty movie, a ninja movie, or Over the Top, you've seen a Cannon movie. It's so good, especially for the 10 minutes they spend out of nowhere in the middle making GBS threads on Sharon Stone.

Uncle John is a small but really well done movie about a man who murdered someone and his nephew who's trying to get a date with his new manager. It's really good.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Lemmy is loving great.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell is up on Netflix. It's a very good tv version of a very good book, if presented completely differently than the book and missing the final 3rd. Very much worth a watch.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

Always Sunny season eleven is up.

And it's really disappointing too.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Palpek posted:

drat, Brooklyn Nine-Nine is actually hilarious and good. Its trailer and marketing made it look like unfunny trash, good I tried it out against my initial impression.

S4 kind of sucks, but everything up to that is gold.

Also, The Last Man On Earth is surprisingly great.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Going to recommend The Path again for all you Hulu havers. S2 just started. Too bad it's not on Netflix where it could get more eyes. It deserves a better "network".

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Rolo posted:

If you're not big into anime, I'd skip this. I tried it because the graphics looked neat and it got good reviews, but it is just a bunch of cliche anime with a dull story, badly drawn out dialogue and, of course, a giant breasted real-doll character that at some point has some guy yelling "drat check them tits, wow!"

I think liking Castle of Cagliostro a whole lot while that was on Netflix just gave me too much hope for anime.

Yeah - I was fooled into watching this from the recommendation. It's really bad.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Buncha MST3K coming to Netflix on April 14th.

Catalina Caper
Eegah!
Future War
The Giant Gila Monster
Hercules Against The Moon Men
Horrors Of Spider Island
I Accuse My Parents
Jack Frost
Laserblast
Manos: The Hands Of Fate
Merlin’s Shop Of Mystical Wonders
Pod People
Puma Man
Santa Claus Conquers The Martians
Sidehackers
Space Mutiny
Teenagers From Outer Space
Time Chasers
Werewolf
Zombie Nightmare

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Rolo posted:

These are up now, I'm currently watching Space Mutiny. It's different than it used to be in that it's handled as a show now, so it has episodes inside of one single Netflix entry instead of 20 separate movies. This is a good thing in that certain episodes won't slip through the cracks while browsing Netflix's sometimes-dumb menu system.

April 14 is when the :siren:NEW EPISODES:siren: are released.

Oh cool - must have misread. Too bad there's no Final Sacrifice.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Anyone tried the new MST3K episodes yet?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

The Keepers on Netflix is depressing as gently caress.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

kazil posted:

Just binge watched Netflix's new series GLOW. It's pretty drat entertaining.

Yeah, it's way better than I thought it would be. Has a lot of heart in it.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

I watched They Look Like People on Netflix the other night. Way better than I thought it would be and a really different kind of horror film.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Why do my wife and I really like Haters Back Off? Everything about that show should be an instant turn-off but it's really enjoyable. Wasn't expecting the end to be what it was. That was good.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Rolo posted:

I'm late to the party but I'm 4 episodes into Glow and I'm really liking it. The girl I'm probably supposed to hate is my favorite thus far.

There's drugs in the loving robot?!

Glow is really good.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Stan Against Evil is on Hulu and is very funny.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Oh my god the new Hulu interface is poo poo.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Why do my wife and I keep watching American Horror Story? It's been 95% garbage since season 1 and Roanoke continues that trend.

Yet every year we sit down and watch it.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

Started watching the unrelated new Mindhunter Netflix series that's about the creation of the term serial killer and what led up to it. I'm only 2 episodes in but it's pretty good so far. It's produced by David Fincher. Starts out with a teacher at the FBI that is training agents on hostage negotiation. He takes an interest in criminal psychology and teams up with another teacher to track down serial killers.

Yeah it seems pretty decent so far, but some of the dialog is really, really bad. Mostly the stuff between Bob FBIguy and Amazingly Hipgirlfriend.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Red Christmas is terrible.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Mister Adequate posted:

I watched What Happened To Monday? the other day and I thought it was pretty good, though it wouldn't have been nearly as good without Noomi Rapace, Noomi Rapace, Noomi Rapace, Noomi Rapace, Noomi Rapace, Noomi Rapace, Noomi Rapace, Willem Dafoe, and Glenn Close. At any rate, it's short enough that I'd recommend it to anyone wanting a decent sci-fi movie, even if it does one or two rather silly bits.

Don't believe this skelly-dooter's lies. This movie is just godawful.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Why does the sisters have an accent when they all grew up only talking to each other and Willem Dafoe?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Bogmonster posted:

I really enjoyed A Futile and Stupid Gesture on Netflix. It's a movie about the rise of National Lampoon with actors playing Chevy Chase, Christopher Guest and Bill Murray, and others. As a Brit, I never really knew much about National Lampoon but I thought the movie was great with a good few laughs.

Make sure you watch Drunk Stoned Brilliant Dead: The Story of the National Lampoon if you haven't.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Season 4 sucked so loving much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

withak posted:

Actually Season 4 was fine.

Nah